Baby Day

by Meghann on June 3, 2011

Sorry for the baby overload, but it seems like everyone around me is just popping one out lately!

Derek and I are currently on our way to the hospital to join the rest of his family as we patiently await the arrival of little Marley into the world. Marley will be the first Grandchild on Derek’s side of the family and everyone simply can’t wait to meet her! Both Derek and I cleared our schedules today to be there for the occasion! SO EXCITING!!

Before baby day officially began, I was able to sneak in a quick workout at the gym by completing NROLFW 1B and a 5k on the treadmill. It was quick and sweaty – just the way I like it.

After the gym I made a protein smoothie in a bowl.

The blender contained:

• Frozen Mango
  • Plain Chobani
  • Chia Seeds
  • Xanthum Gum
  • Peanut Flour
  • Chocolate Protein
  • Almond Milk

On top:

• Kashi Go Lean Crisp

So good, but so cold! I need to start making these in the afternoon to warm up in the summer heat!

It’s Baby Day!

I want to put together a little hospital gift basket to bring the happy parents tomorrow morning. Any suggestions on what I should put in it? I was thinking along the lines of homemade chocolate chip cookies, sandwiches, etc. Thoughts?

1 Kara June 3, 2011 at 9:31 am

Bags of chips (sunchips if you ask me), granola bars and Snickers are awesome hospital things to have. If she’s breastfeeding, she’ll need late night snacks and it’s great to have a selection! I used to have a snack after every time I breastfed (and yes, all the weight still came off in less than 6 weeks to any interested parties) 🙂
Kara recently posted..As ready as Im going to be

2 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat June 3, 2011 at 9:32 am

You could make them a diaper cake! I know it’s more of a baby shower present, but the diapers would still be very useful! There’s a photo here (http://www.customfavorz.com/Diaper-Cake.jpg) and a how-to here: http://www.plan-the-perfect-baby-shower.com/diaper-cake.html. The one in the photo is really fancy looking but they’re super easy to make! Oh, and I’m sure some cookies would be appreciated too!
Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat recently posted..The Good and the Bad

3 Katherina @ Zephyr Runs June 3, 2011 at 9:34 am

You weren’t kidding, there are a ton of babies in your life right now!!
Cookies and sandwiches are a great idea – non hospital food, hooray! (boy isn’t that statement ironic? hospital food should be the healthiest…) I think anything tangible that they’d have to bring home might be a bit much, but definitely food!
Katherina @ Zephyr Runs recently posted..A New Running Route

4 Hillary June 3, 2011 at 9:34 am

Whenever my friends have babies, I bring gifts for the little one and a big ol’ canister of coffee. The last friend I did that for thought it was hilarious at first and then thanked me BIG time a week later. Seems like they needed all the caffeine they could get! Congrats to Derek’s family on their soon to be newest arrival!
Hillary recently posted..Baking the Blues

5 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday June 3, 2011 at 9:36 am

Diapers.

6 Holly @ The Runny Egg June 3, 2011 at 9:40 am

Ooh congrats to the parents! I love babies!

Food always makes a good gift.
Holly @ The Runny Egg recently posted..Tomato Face

7 carolyn @ healthy pants June 3, 2011 at 9:42 am

Do you run first or lift first when doing the New Rules of Lifting? I just started the program as well and I feel like when I run first the lifting suffers or when I lift first my run gets cut short. Just wondering.

Thanks!
carolyn @ healthy pants recently posted..The judgment free zone

8 Liv @ The Salty n' Sweet June 3, 2011 at 9:42 am

Can’t wait to see more pictures of baby cuteness! Maybe throw in some muffins, fruit, and definitely cookies!
Liv @ The Salty n’ Sweet recently posted..In the Sun

9 Tara June 3, 2011 at 9:43 am

Give things that won’t spoil because they will be getting TONS of that kind of stuff. Better yet put things in it that they’ll use 6 months down the road when everyone is done being excited about the newborn. Diapers and t shirts and spit clothes…oh my! You can NEVER have enough of those!!!

10 Jen G. June 3, 2011 at 9:47 am

Another good baby gift for the parents is a one-month Netflix gift card — it’s better than infomercials for late-night feedings!

11 Gina @Runningtothekitchen June 3, 2011 at 9:51 am

I just did workout 1B last night and my butt is killing me from those lunges! Maybe the weights were too heavy!?

have fun meeting Marley today!
Gina @Runningtothekitchen recently posted..Ireland Day 6 &amp 7- Killarney

12 Katherina @ Zephyr Runs June 3, 2011 at 9:55 am

Oh another idea – doorstep delivery coupon? They will probably want to stay in and not want to cook for a while! A friend of mine organized a month of meals for her friends that were new parents where every day someone could claim that day and bring them a home cooked meal (dropped on their doorstep so as not to disrupt their day, unless asked otherwise!) – that would be something cool, albeit elaborate, to do for them.
Katherina @ Zephyr Runs recently posted..A New Running Route

13 Laura @ Backstage Pass June 3, 2011 at 10:03 am

How thoughtful of you to bring them a gift basket!
I’d bring some healthy snacks, maybe a magazine or two, an iTunes gift card, stuff to help them relax. If you can, maybe a little baby ‘Noles hat or outfit? That will be cute for little Marley!
Homemade cookies will be nice for all of the relatives in the waiting room, too!
Laura @ Backstage Pass recently posted..Time for another Brian Wilson SF Giants post

14 Heather I. June 3, 2011 at 10:09 am

Mini Reese’s pb cups, Wheat Thins or some other crunchy cracker, fruit snacks/dried fruit (or a chewy/gummy candy). Definitely homemade cookies! I did also crave something healthy so a sandwich would be great.\ 🙂 What a sweet auntie you’re about to be!!

15 Nacho Lindsay June 3, 2011 at 10:12 am

Nachos, obviously. She just had a human come out of her, nachos (and perhaps a virgin marg?) are a must.
Nacho Lindsay recently posted..Quinton’s- Iowa City- IA

16 Cat @Breakfast to Bed June 3, 2011 at 10:12 am

Anything that can be eaten w/1 hand that won’t drop on the baby!!
Cat @Breakfast to Bed recently posted..Im MOVINGto Wordpress

17 Heather June 3, 2011 at 10:13 am

I appreciated drinks (water, juice, etc..) and then crackers. I actually liked it better when we got stuff when we got home with both of our kids. I sent an Edible Arrangement fruit bouquet to a friend about a week after she had her baby.

18 Carol June 3, 2011 at 10:19 am

Healthy snacks are a great idea! My sister Alice recently had a baby too. My computer savvy daughter sent her an infant massage guide from this website. http://www.fitango.com/actionplans/basics-of-infant-massage/32903
I thought that was very sweet of her.

19 TanyaS June 3, 2011 at 10:21 am

Fancy lotion or scented candle, something splurgy to help mom feel special. I remember a friend of mine commenting that the baby gets all the gifts, but its mom that did all the work!

20 Megan June 3, 2011 at 10:25 am

Agreed with some of the others above – things that don’t spoil are best since they will be getting a ton of stuff and will need it later. If she is breastfeeding, then she will be hungry (I was and still am ravenous due to breastfeeding) so snacks like granola bars are good.
I had to laugh at “popping one out”. 🙂 I wish it was that easy! haha
Congrats all around!

21 Erin June 3, 2011 at 10:30 am

I’d bring a small basket of snacks but then bring anything bigger than that to them at home after they’ve come home with the baby (or bring a meal or two that can be put in the freezer of made quickly – that is a HUGE help to exhausted new parents). There is so much stuff to take home from the hospital after the baby is born that it’s easier if you don’t bring too much more… It’s also nice to have flowers to brighten up the room 🙂
Erin recently posted..RLAM

22 Michelle @ Crazy*Running*Legs June 3, 2011 at 10:32 am

Babies are SOOOO fun.

Food is always appreciated at the hospital! If they drink – a bottle of champagne (to be enjoyed later) is always appreciated, too (you CAN drink in moderation when bfing – if she chooses to).

Honestly, just having people come and visit (and take pictures!) is exciting 🙂 You just want to show off how cute your baby is!
Michelle @ Crazy*Running*Legs recently posted..Five for Friday- Artwork

23 Theresa @ActiveEggplant.com June 3, 2011 at 10:37 am

Yay babies! I don’t think it’s possible to have “too much baby” in the blog world…and maybe that’s because I have baby fever myself? I seriously think going to the hospital to hold a newborn baby just might be one of my most favorite things to do in the world – it’s simply AMAZING! (And if it’s this great when we’re just visitors, imagine how much better it’ll be when we’re the parents!)

Anyway – I don’t have any great suggestions for what to take….maybe along with whatever food/snacks/real presents you take, bring some trashy magazines to keep the new mom occupied while the little one is sleeping? (I know that sounds ridiculous, but I like to read stuff like that when I’m laid up!)
Theresa @ActiveEggplant.com recently posted..Tailwind or Myth

24 Kate (What Kate is Cooking) June 3, 2011 at 10:51 am

I wish I would know someone that had a baby! There is a lack of babies in my life 🙂
Kate (What Kate is Cooking) recently posted..Eat Your Beer

25 emily June 3, 2011 at 11:07 am

“It was quick and sweaty – just the way I like it.” TWSS! 😉

On a non-inappropriate note, for the baby basket I would suggest muffins, dried fruit, crackers, and babybell cheese (or some sort of other cheese that can sit out without refridgeration). I made these pumpkin muffins from Cooking Light the other day and they were super good – http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/pumpkin-muffins-10000000522319

26 Sarah June 3, 2011 at 11:09 am

Are you going when she is laboring? I would bring lollipops…most hospitals only let mom have Ice Chips while laboring, but some will allow lollipops. I work in as an RN and during my time in nursing school on an L&D floor the mom said that the lollipop was the best thing she had all day (granted she only had ice chips). Maybe music if they didn’t bring any–something soothing for after so they can relax.

27 Clare @ Fitting It All In June 3, 2011 at 11:33 am

I just started the New Rules workouts too and love them! They are so much shorter than what I would normally do, but man do I feel it!
Clare @ Fitting It All In recently posted..A Day Late

28 Hope June 3, 2011 at 11:41 am

Yay for babies! Can’t wait to see pictures of baby Marley! Homemade cookies sound like a great idea! Maybe some pretzels, chips or Subway sandwiches?
Hope recently posted..Loving the Grill &amp Stressful Morning…

29 Chelsea @ Go Chelsea Go! June 3, 2011 at 11:52 am

I like the idea of baked goods–I’m sure the family will want quick (and healthy) food!
Chelsea @ Go Chelsea Go! recently posted..Strawberry Sweat is now Go Chelsea Go!

30 Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather June 3, 2011 at 11:52 am

Homemade granola would be a great addition to the basket! Have a fun baby day 🙂

31 Juli D. June 3, 2011 at 11:56 am

Food is always appreciated by new parents – one of my BFF’s had a baby recently and I mailed her a care package – more focused on her as the new Mama but it included: A pound of coffee beans from a local roaster, a new set of cute PJs/relaxing clothes, a few mixes from the local popcorn company for late night snacking, a gift card to a restaurant that delivered a few blocks down from her place, a locally made candle (can you tell I’m big on local yet?) and some stress-relieving scented body wash and lotion.
Juli D. recently posted..R V There Yet

32 Lee @ in the pink of condition June 3, 2011 at 11:56 am

Whoever said diapers was right on. New parents probably don’t realize it yet, but you can never have too many diapers!
Lee @ in the pink of condition recently posted..Low Calorie Drink- Stoli Doli Martini

33 Ali @ Ali Runs June 3, 2011 at 12:05 pm

Happy Baby Day!! I think the idea of chocolate chip cookies is a great idea! We also like to bring drinks like gatorade and water to help out.
Ali @ Ali Runs recently posted..Buffalo Half Marathon Race Recap

34 Danielle @ InDeesKitchen June 3, 2011 at 1:02 pm

Congrats to them!! So exciting!

35 Halley (Blunder Construction) June 3, 2011 at 1:05 pm

Definitely give them a gift basket! Food is key for new parents! Maybe a gift card so they can order take-out or something?
Halley (Blunder Construction) recently posted..Veggie Contents

36 julie @ peanut butter fingers June 3, 2011 at 1:15 pm

not sure if you wanna get out of florida on your vacation, but i HIGHLY recommend visiting little palm island. it’s an UNBELIEVABLY luxurious resort in the keys – like you get your own private bungalow and everything. it’s amazing! let me know if you’re interested b/c i worked with someone there to get a FANTASTIC discount b/c of blogging when we went (otherwise the prices are crazy high). i promise you would LOVE it!
julie @ peanut butter fingers recently posted..30 Second Rest Workout

37 Amy @ love4living June 3, 2011 at 3:09 pm

First grandchild? That must be so exciting for his side of the family!
Amy @ love4living recently posted..Why FaceBook Sucks sometimes

38 Mac June 3, 2011 at 10:49 pm

I think you should make them a nice dinner when they get back to their house… I hear it’s much appreciated by new parents!
Mac recently posted..Three Cheers for a Long Weekend!