National Running Day…a day late

by Meghann on June 2, 2011

I know, I know…. I totally dropped the ball on National Running Day yesterday.

250514_10100780814672983_5207154_69394269_3713063_n.jpg

I hope my running counterparts will please forgive me. :/

National Running Day is a GREAT holiday that encourages people to get out, move, and celebrate the sport I’ve fallen in love with over the past three years. Following the #RunningDay hashtag on twitter yesterday was nothing, but inspirational. To see everyone tweeting about how much they love to run had me wanting to lace up my shoes and just go.

Unfortunately it was poor planning on my part that prevented me from running. Earlier in the week I forgot National Running Day was Wednesday and made plans to spin and lift instead. It wasn’t until I got home that morning and saw my twitter feed blowing up that I remembered the day. Boo.

Luckily, running doesn’t have to be celebrated on just one day – it can be celebrated everyday if you want to, so I celebrated today with a 6 mile run at a nearby trail with my friend Courtney.

Courtney is a GREAT running partner because she’s speedy. I have to stay on my toes to keep up with her! I’ve lost a bit of speed in the last few months due to lack of training, so just staying conversational with her at a sub-9:00 min pace was a struggle. Hard to believe just 6 months ago I could run 20+ miles at that pace! It just goes to show how you lose speed if you don’t keep at it.

I’m really looking forward to diving into HIM training and getting back into racing shape. πŸ™‚

I’ve been in a bit of a cereal rut lately and was brainstorming other breakfast alternatives on my way home, but a big bowl of cereal just sounded so refreshing that it was essentially all I wanted.

In the bowl

• 1/2 cup Cheerios
  • 1/2 cup Kashi Honey Sunshine
  • 1/2 cup Kashi Go Lean Crisp
  • Plain Chobani (I remembered the pick yogurt up on my way home!)
  • Strawberries
  • Raspberries
  • Pineapple

When I’m thirsty I crave fresh fruit. This bowl was obviously heavy on the fruit after my hot run – my body wanted was thirsty!

Did you celebrate National Running Day yesterday?

1 megan @ blackberries for jam June 2, 2011 at 9:50 am

I didn’t celebrate National Running Day yesterday, but only because I was recovering from my marathon on Sunday. A good excuse, I think!

2 Sam Abbitt June 2, 2011 at 9:52 am

This was the first I had heard about National Running Day. I guess I’ll be celebrating late with you!

3 Natalie @ Point the Weigh June 2, 2011 at 12:28 pm

Same here!! Glad I won’t be alone πŸ™‚
Natalie @ Point the Weigh recently posted..Playing Catchup

4 Holly @ The Runny Egg June 2, 2011 at 9:52 am

Yes I ran 5 mile after work yesterday and it was so hot outside — it was a pretty miserable run. But I’m glad I got out!
Holly @ The Runny Egg recently posted..Tomato Face

5 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday June 2, 2011 at 9:53 am

I had a great national running day yesterday with a 3 mile run in almost perfect weather.

6 Jamie aka "Sometimes Healthy" Girl June 2, 2011 at 9:53 am

You can celebrate National Running Day any day!! I agree!

I did celebrate yesterday. To be honest, I had been up to late so I was going to sleep in and skip the run, but my body woke me up telling me I had to run because it was National Running Day. haha. Since I only had a little sleep, it wasn’t the greatest run. BUT I was still proud of myself for getting out there πŸ™‚
Jamie aka “Sometimes Healthy” Girl recently posted..Why I Love Summer Running in NYC

7 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat June 2, 2011 at 9:53 am

Great job on your run! And totally ok to be late – you clearly had much more important things to post about yesterday afternoon! I celebrated with a solo 8.5 miles – time well-spent clearing my head and sorting out my to-do list for the day!
Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat recently posted..The Good and the Bad

8 Liv @ The Salty n' Sweet June 2, 2011 at 9:55 am

Yes! I don’t feel so left out on missing NRD! I also celebrated this morning with an 8 mile run, and it felt awesome πŸ™‚

With your training, I’m sure you’ll be back to fighting shape in no time!
Liv @ The Salty n’ Sweet recently posted..Stuffed

9 Gina @Runningtothekitchen June 2, 2011 at 9:55 am

Yes I did, but the miles ended up being on the treadmill since it was about 95 here yesterday. Wish I could’ve ventured outside. Today is a high of 72 and sunny though so I will totally be making up for it!
Gina @Runningtothekitchen recently posted..Ireland Day 6 &amp 7- Killarney

10 Kate (What Kate is Cooking) June 2, 2011 at 10:02 am

I ran a mile on the treadmill πŸ™‚ I am also out of racing shape. I’m supposed to start training for my second marathon next week- yikes!
Kate (What Kate is Cooking) recently posted..Eat Your Beer

11 Lindsey June 2, 2011 at 10:10 am

Sadly no! Like you I forgot and hit the gym for a cross training session in the morning and then remembered after! Then after work it was too rainy πŸ™

12 Ali @ Ali Runs June 2, 2011 at 10:23 am

I am celebrating National Running Day today as well! πŸ™‚
Ali @ Ali Runs recently posted..Buffalo Half Marathon Race Recap

13 Christine June 2, 2011 at 10:27 am

Nope, but I am tonight!

14 Heather June 2, 2011 at 10:28 am

I ran 3 miles yesterday and another 3 miles today.

Happy Belated Running Day!
Heather recently posted..Repeat Oatmealer

15 Courtney @ The Granola Chronicles June 2, 2011 at 10:28 am

I DID celebrate National Running Day yesterday! I just got into running last week, and I ran 4 miles yesterday. It felt great! πŸ™‚

16 Holly June 2, 2011 at 10:30 am

I celebrated National Running Day a day late, too. I wanted to get out there yesterday but I kept procrastinating when I actually had the chance. I figured I would do it after work but it was opening day so I was back and forth all day and by the time I got home it was late and I was hungry! So my run was forwent until this morning. But you’re so right, you can celebrate running any day! πŸ™‚
Holly recently posted..Gotta Love Pizza!

17 Cassie @ Tofu Meets Her Match June 2, 2011 at 10:40 am

I was scared to run last night because we had a tornado watch in NYC! Didn’t even rain, as it turns out. I’ll be running tonight instead.

18 Hope June 2, 2011 at 10:47 am

I did run last night. I didn’t even realize it was National Running Day! I’m glad that I did! πŸ™‚
Hope recently posted..Loving the Grill &amp Stressful Morning…

19 Samantha June 2, 2011 at 10:52 am

I ran yesterday morning, even though it was downpouring all day! I found a quick break and managed to squeeze in a fast 2-miler and focus on speedwork. Then I went for a bike ride at sunset when the weather was more cooperative πŸ™‚

I’m excited to watch your HIM training unfold, while I whip myself back into racing shape for another half coming up!
Samantha recently posted..Stretching Before A Run

20 michelle June 2, 2011 at 10:58 am

I did 4 miles with some hills to celebrate
michelle recently posted..Three Things

21 sarah (sarah learns) June 2, 2011 at 11:04 am

i didn’t celebrate yesterday either… oops!

i did also have pineapple in my cereal/yogurt bowl this morning too – it was very very refreshing. πŸ™‚

22 Mac June 2, 2011 at 11:06 am

I did celebrate National Running Day, but I agree with you it shouldn’t be just one day!
Mac recently posted..Three Cheers for a Long Weekend!

23 Linz (Beyond Destination 26.2) June 2, 2011 at 11:17 am

No worries! I celebrated National Running day by taking the day off of running! LOL! I was in a similar position where I wasn’t schedule to run on weds, and instead of forcing myself to run I too decided that National Running Day can be celebrated anyday! πŸ™‚

24 Chelsea @ Go Chelsea Go! June 2, 2011 at 11:17 am

I forgot that yesterday was National Running Day until the end of my workout, so I just squeezed in a little sprint around the block. I may run today or tomorrow, depending on how my (once-injured) knee feels!
Chelsea @ Go Chelsea Go! recently posted..Strawberry Sweat is now Go Chelsea Go!

25 Megan June 2, 2011 at 11:19 am

Yup. Did 4 hot miles pushing my baby in the jogger uphills.

26 Maria June 2, 2011 at 11:25 am

Even as a person who has a love/hate (mostly hate) relationship with running, I got out there yesterday and tackled a couple of mile! As much as I hate it sometimes, I never regret the feeling afterwards!
Maria recently posted..wiaw- memorial day edition

27 Khushboo June 2, 2011 at 11:28 am

I didn’t realise it was National Running Day until after I ‘celebrated’ it! I feel u on the breakfast rut! I’m experiencing that with overnight oats! It’s still yum to me but not as satisfying as before! To shake things up, i made Chocolate Covered Katie’s voluminous oats for brekkkie tom and just stuck it in the fridge- an alternative to overnight oats!
Khushboo recently posted..Pro-tein versus Con-tein

28 Kaitlyn @ 7 Plates June 2, 2011 at 11:35 am

That looks soooo good!!
Kaitlyn @ 7 Plates recently posted..Chocolate Protein Pancakes

29 Mariana June 2, 2011 at 11:47 am

No, I did not run yesterday πŸ™ My running plan was designed to rest on Wednesdays; anyways, everyday is good for running! πŸ™‚
Mariana recently posted..Ok ya! Les confieso

30 Lauren @ Sweet and Twisted June 2, 2011 at 12:10 pm

I went for a run but when I stopped for water at 1 mile I realized I felt so sick from the heat! I’m not made for the heat! I don’t know how you FL girls do it!
Lauren @ Sweet and Twisted recently posted..Memorial Day Prep

31 Lauren June 2, 2011 at 12:39 pm

I forgot about it too! But I did run so I guess I still celebrated. πŸ™‚
Lauren recently posted..Our Memorial Day Open House Party

32 Katherine: Unemployed June 2, 2011 at 12:58 pm

it’s fine; I’m celebrating Friday a day early!
Katherine: Unemployed recently posted..Samuel Adams

33 Emily @ Savory and Savage June 2, 2011 at 1:16 pm

Well I guess I will be celebrating it today!
Emily @ Savory and Savage recently posted..Avocado nectarine dreams

34 Jenny @ Fitness Health and Food June 2, 2011 at 1:47 pm

I did but without knowing it! πŸ™‚

A great 5 miler in the sun along Lake Michigan πŸ™‚

35 Cait's Plate June 2, 2011 at 2:46 pm

I wish I could celebrate National Running Day but I’m injured πŸ™
Cait’s Plate recently posted..Mixed- Measured- Scooped

36 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife June 2, 2011 at 3:04 pm

yep I didn’t really celebrate, I danced instead and taught a BodyPUMP class. It is okay to celebrate a day late, for sure!

37 Alaina June 2, 2011 at 3:08 pm

I did not celebrate. πŸ™ Crazy weather in MA!!

But I am running tonight with some co-workers. πŸ™‚
Alaina recently posted..My First Marathon

38 Cynthia (It All Changes) June 2, 2011 at 3:43 pm

I’m with you on Running Day being any day. I’m injured right now but will be celebrating…Run Anyway as soon as I have the okay from my Doctor and PT.
Cynthia (It All Changes) recently posted..Black Bean Sweet Potato Quesadillas

39 Kelly @foodiefresh June 2, 2011 at 4:34 pm

I celebrated it by blogging about my latest 5K…however, I didn’t run because it was the best day for me to take my rest day. However, I’m doing a trail run tonight!
Kelly @foodiefresh recently posted..Backpacking day 1

40 Clare @ Fitting It All In June 2, 2011 at 4:57 pm

I celebrated a day late too! Better late than never…

41 Fit Chick Britt June 2, 2011 at 5:08 pm

I love that pink bowl! I know what you mean about losing some speed. In Jan I ran a sub 4 marathon and now I can barely run 3 miles at that pace. Gotta get my butt back to the track and on the road.

Looking forward to reading your HIM training. I think I’m going to attempt my first one next spring.

42 Amber Faye @ One "Faye" At A Time June 2, 2011 at 11:06 pm

Crap! I didn’t even know about national running day! I am so out of the loop! I didn’t run yesterday, but I did run Tuesday evening.. Does that count?!

43 Kelly June 3, 2011 at 6:55 pm

Do you ever proofread your posts? Or do they really sound okay to you? Hmm….