Can’t Win Them All

by Meghann on June 2, 2011

And this dish was not a winner.

Over seasoned veggies… a homemade dressing that was too pungent…. an addition of peanuts that wasn’t needed…. yuck. For once, it wasn’t even worth finishing (and I’m usually a stickler for finishing my plate good or bad).

At least the cornbread was good!

It was my last piece and it will be missed.

You can’t win them all and unfortunately I didn’t win at muffins either. Boo.

These muffins were set to be delivered to my friend Callie who just welcomed a beautiful baby boy into the world yesterday. (Yay babies!) Unfortunately instead of the moist and airy homemade gifts of love I was hoping for, the muffins were dense and spongy – not what I was going for.

I followed a fellow blogger’s recipe and I’m not sure if it was my lackluster baking skills or the actual recipe that turned this into a flop. All I can say is something was definitely wrong. It’s probably my skills thought – I’m not exactly known as a baker. Give me a fool proof recipe and I’ll find a way to mess it up.

Oh well.

Like I said, you can’t win them all.

Have you had any baking or cooking disasters lately?

1 Chelsea @ Go Chelsea Go! June 2, 2011 at 4:19 pm

I tend to have a lot of cooking disasters, especially when I’m trying to come up with a lunch for one. I haven’t baked much lately, but I’m sure I’ll have a few flops this summer. I’m actually going to try to attempt to make Bakerella’s Cake Ball pops for my sister’s birthday–we’ll see how that goes!
Chelsea @ Go Chelsea Go! recently posted..Strawberry Sweat is now Go Chelsea Go!

2 The Teenage Taste June 2, 2011 at 4:26 pm

Ugh, I hate when my dishes don’t come out right. Next time I bet they’ll be amazing! It all evens out!
The Teenage Taste recently posted..Peanut Butter Chili

3 Tami June 2, 2011 at 4:28 pm

I need to come there and teach you how to bake and youu can teach me how to enjoy vegetables…try this recipe for blueberry Kurdish

I switch out most of the flour for wheat and use frozen blueberries

4 Holly @ The Runny Egg June 2, 2011 at 4:28 pm

Too bad the muffins didn’t taste very good — they look good!

I have kitchen disasters all the time — just recently I made a crockpot of bean soup and it was the grossest hunk of mush I have ever tasted.
Holly @ The Runny Egg recently posted..Tomato Face

5 katieRUNSthis June 2, 2011 at 4:33 pm

So sorry your recipe didn’t turn out as delicious as you had hoped. I’ve been cooking since middle school and I can tell you, it takes practice. What exactly had you been going for with that dish? The cornbread looks divine, by the way.

And why didn’t the muffins turn out (other than the filling gooey-ness)? They look yummy. Were they dry or something?
katieRUNSthis recently posted..It is nice to be NICE

6 River June 2, 2011 at 4:35 pm

I made a slice recently and completely forgot to put any sugar in it!

I still ate it, heated with milk, and it was okay.
River recently posted..Book Review – Kardashian Konfidential

7 Gina @Runningtothekitchen June 2, 2011 at 4:35 pm

It happens!
The muffins are deceiving, they look just fine in the picture!
Gina @Runningtothekitchen recently posted..Ireland Day 6 &amp 7- Killarney

8 Alexa @ Simple Eats June 2, 2011 at 4:35 pm

I hate when you get excited about a meal and when you take a bite it’s gross. That’s the worst!
Alexa @ Simple Eats recently posted..Friday Favorites

9 Michelle@ Crazy*Running*Legs June 2, 2011 at 4:46 pm

I am just not a baker. If I bake it has to be SUPER simple or I will in same form or fashion screw it up. I think it’s because I like to get a little creative and it’s a lot harder to get creative with baking!

Sorry they didn’t turn out 🙁
Michelle@ Crazy*Running*Legs recently posted..It’s the MOST Expensive Time…of the Year…

10 Rachel June 2, 2011 at 4:52 pm

I’m guessing you overmixed the batter. Muffin batter needs to be just barely mixed – enough to stir everything around and moisten it, and that’s it. It SHOULD be lumpy. There’s a chemical reason for this that I don’t understand, but if you overmix, that’s when you get the dense and chewy muffins.

11 Becky June 2, 2011 at 5:12 pm

Yep, it’s the same for pancake and waffle batter. Don’t overmix!

12 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday June 2, 2011 at 8:01 pm

Mixing and kneading develop the protein (gluten) strands in the flour which creates the doughy, breadlike quality. That’s why, you’re right, it can be avoided by not overmixing the batter.

Also, using a flour with a lower protein content (like cake flour or pastry flour) helps.

13 Rachel June 2, 2011 at 9:38 pm

Thanks for adding in the science!

14 Lacey June 2, 2011 at 4:58 pm

What blogger recipe??

15 Hope June 2, 2011 at 5:00 pm

I totally hate when that happens! It’s so disappointing but just know that the next time you go to cook something, it’s going to turn out awesome! 🙂
Hope recently posted..Loving the Grill &amp Stressful Morning…

16 Ashlee June 2, 2011 at 5:19 pm

A little off topic, I saw this video and thought of Maddie :o)

17 Liv @ The Salty n' Sweet June 2, 2011 at 5:29 pm

Aw I’m sure it was just a bad day for cooking/baking. I find that just about anything can go wrong, and a lot of times, it’s not even because you messed up!

I haven’t done enough cooking or baking lately to really flop 😉
Liv @ The Salty n’ Sweet recently posted..Cool Down

18 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife June 2, 2011 at 6:10 pm

I have baking disasters all. the. time. ha 🙂

It is okay, we all have those days!

19 Christine June 2, 2011 at 6:23 pm

I love it when food-bloggers admit to screw-ups! It happens to all of us!
Christine recently posted..A New Reading Companion

20 Ashley June 2, 2011 at 6:32 pm

Ahh I hate when my baked goods don’t turn out right! Which happens a lot. So disappointing to throw out food

21 Lauren June 2, 2011 at 8:03 pm

Too bad there was no leftover cornbread to deliver your friend. Maybe you should make some more of that. 🙂
Lauren recently posted..Our Memorial Day Open House Party

22 Kate (What Kate is Cooking) June 2, 2011 at 8:03 pm

Not lately, but I’ve really screwed up basic recipes before! It just makes the times you do succeed so much better 🙂
Kate (What Kate is Cooking) recently posted..Eat Your Beer

23 Forward Foot Strides June 2, 2011 at 8:17 pm

Not a disaster, but I made baklava using puff pastry instead of phyllo, and while tasty, it looked like baklava on steroids.

Cornbread is delicious, I think I might even have all the ingredients right now to make some!
Forward Foot Strides recently posted..Body Glide Giveaway Winners! And pet weirdness

24 Mac June 2, 2011 at 10:57 pm

Too many cooking disasters to count! I feel like I mess up most with presentation of a meal. Oh well, as long as it’s edible I’m in!
Mac recently posted..Three Cheers for a Long Weekend!

25 Andrea June 2, 2011 at 11:03 pm

It’s probably my skills thought – I’m not exactly known as a baker. Give me a pool proof recipe and I’ll find away to mess it up.

ok, love your thoughts & blog, but there are 3 errors in those 2 sentences!! Spell check isn’t a perfect proofreader 🙂

26 Mariana June 2, 2011 at 11:06 pm

Last week I did an awful lemon meringe pie; those things happen.