Roomies

by Meghann on May 31, 2011

Today was a flashback to my golden college days thanks to a lunch at El Taco Bus with my freshmen roommate Becca. Can you believe we haven’t seen each out in 6 years? Time Flies!

Then… (April 2004)

100_0233.JPG

And Now (May 2011)

Whoa! A lot can change in 7 years!

(p.s. Natural hair rocks! Then: highlights + straightener. Now: dye hasn’t touched my hair in over a year and those waves are 100% me – I didn’t even blow dry my hair!)

Becca and I were random roommates freshmen year of FSU at Sally Hall. (Can you believe the first day we met was move in day a week before classes started?) Becca was one of the awesome roommates who broke down my small town girl shell that year. She taught me how to have fun and pretty much set the tone for who I am today – not wild and crazy, but not quiet and shy either.

Without her I probably would have stayed in my room and twiddled my thumbs. I was shy, she was outgoing. I was quiet, she was loud. And it worked! I could probably tell a million stories of the trouble we got into freshmen year, but why dredge up the past? πŸ˜‰

100_0237.JPG

She also had a killer closet. I miss her clothes. πŸ˜‰

After college Becca and I lost touch. Recently we’ve been given the opportunity to reconnect via blogs and Social Media (you can check her out at Starting Over From Scratch)

She’s living in Tampa with her Dad this summer and I suggested we meet at El Taco Bus for lunch and to play catch up.

You know me – I’ve been dying for a chance to check out Taco Bus again since my last fabulous experience there. πŸ˜‰

This time I ordered the Butternut Squash Tostada from the vegetarian portion of the menu.

I knew it wasn’t going to disappoint. The butternut squash was very fresh, meaty, and slightly nutty. It was the perfect texture of slightly mushy with a bit of a chew. I was expecting pureed butternut, but this was obviously mushed by hand with a fork. Amazing.

Of course, I knew once it was plated in front of me that it wasn’t enough to fill me up.

Round #2

The vegetarian taco came with beans, rice, and veggies. This plus the tostada was just enough for my hungry belly. πŸ™‚

When’s the last time you played catch up with your college roommates?

1 Kate (What Kate is Cooking) May 31, 2011 at 2:42 pm

I still live at home, so I never had a college roommate. My only roommate so far has been my sister, haha!
Kate (What Kate is Cooking) recently posted..Eat Your Beer

2 Kara May 31, 2011 at 2:42 pm

I miss sharing wardrobes with my hall mates in college! There were like 8 of us who all shared clothes and it was awesome!
Kara recently posted..Summer in May

3 Chloe (South Beach Girl) May 31, 2011 at 2:44 pm

I just visited my college roommate this weekend as well! It was so good to catch up with her and bring back many good and funny memories πŸ™‚
Chloe (South Beach Girl) recently posted..Hiking- Rivers- and Booze

4 Holly @ The Runny Egg May 31, 2011 at 2:47 pm

I never lived in the dorms and I lived alone except for 1 year when I had an old high school friend live with me. To be honest it was horrible and we actually didn’t speak for a few years afterward– but now we’ve made up and we see each other 2-3 times per year.
Holly @ The Runny Egg recently posted..Tomato Face

5 Paula @ Eat: Watch: Run May 31, 2011 at 2:49 pm

I never had college roommates. I lived at home for the first 2 years, and then lived on my own (going to school part time and working full time) for the second 2 years – which took 3 years since I was going part time. But it worked! I never wanted to do the dorm thing. Sharing a small space with girls I don’t know makes me uncomfortable since I’m kinda introverted.
Paula @ Eat: Watch: Run recently posted..Electric Daisy Carnival Day 2

6 Hope May 31, 2011 at 2:49 pm

Aw, what a fun lunch! πŸ™‚ One of my roommates and I had a big falling out and now we don’t speak to each other anymore. It’s a shame because we were really good friends.

7 Natalie @ Will Jog For Food May 31, 2011 at 2:52 pm

I want to go to taco bus!!

I actually saw my college roomie this weekend at my bbq. She lives so close, but I don’t see her as often as I should, probably because she is busy chasing around her 1 year old, hehe. You start feeling old when your college friends have kids, yikes!

8 Silvia @ skinny jeans food May 31, 2011 at 2:53 pm

Hmmm. so did you like your butternut squash taco or not? Did it disappoint even with the rave review? I am confused!
Silvia @ skinny jeans food recently posted..Finally A day of summer

9 Meghann May 31, 2011 at 5:12 pm

I meant i knew it *wasn’t* going to disappoint. Sorry! πŸ™

10 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday May 31, 2011 at 2:58 pm

College roommates? What? You mean my parents and sister?

11 Amy May 31, 2011 at 3:05 pm

I had several roommates in college … one I keep in touch with through facebook, one I lost touch with, and two turned out to be completely insane – so no, not really! πŸ™‚
Amy recently posted..strawberry jam forever

12 Dee @ GF Grad Nut May 31, 2011 at 3:10 pm

I couldn’t stand my college roommate when we were living together in the dorms (she was super messy, I was clean), but now she’s my best friend, even from hundreds of miles away.

13 Brittney May 31, 2011 at 3:28 pm

I’m loving the idea of butternut squash in a mexican dish. I have one sitting on my counter right now! Great idea!
Yes, I’m still really close with one of my college roommates. Just saw her a few weeks ago for her baby shower πŸ™‚
Brittney recently posted..The Weekend Rundown

14 Chelsea @ Strawberry Sweat May 31, 2011 at 3:31 pm

I had 5 different college roommates/apartmentmates! I saw one last month, and I’ll be seeing one this week! I love to play catch up with them, since now we all live in different states.
Chelsea @ Strawberry Sweat recently posted..Guess What I’m Back!! –

15 tracey May 31, 2011 at 3:44 pm

I haven’t seen or heard from my first college roommate since I moved out at the end of sophmore year. My second college roommate and I are able to stay in touch through the wonders of Facebook even though we live 800 miles away from each other. It’s been 15 years since we lived together, but still to this day, certain phrases/shows/smells remind me of her! Good times!!

16 Jemma @ Celery and Cupcakes May 31, 2011 at 3:48 pm

I’ve never had a room mate. I feel like I’ve missed out after this post.

17 Michelle@ Crazy*Running*Legs May 31, 2011 at 3:58 pm

You look like such a baby in those pictures!!

I actually drove up to Jax to visit my college roommate (sophomore-grad school) this weekend and then on the way home my freshman roommate called me! It was like college reunion weekend πŸ™‚ Good memories!
Michelle@ Crazy*Running*Legs recently posted..Secret Ingredient Guacamole

18 Marie May 31, 2011 at 4:01 pm

Yay Becca! Her fun loving attitude certainly helped me in collge as well! (we are sorority sisters) Glad you guys reconnected πŸ™‚

19 faith @ lovelyascharged May 31, 2011 at 4:09 pm

My old roomie and I are incredibly close – I lucked out with the random assignments! I haven’t seen her in several months (she moved back to illinoos) but we’re hoping to have a meet-up this summer!

20 Lacey May 31, 2011 at 4:28 pm

“She taught me how to have fun big girl style and pretty much set the tone for who I am today. ” What do you mean by big girl?

21 Meghann May 31, 2011 at 5:11 pm

OMG – I didn’t even realize I said that. I meant like ‘put your big girl pants on and have some fun’ as opposed to being the little girl who is afraid to go out. I can see how that will be taken the wrong way though, so I’ll edit it.

22 Allison June 2, 2011 at 8:09 pm

Good lord. What kind of terrible world do you live in that you would have assumed that’s what she meant by “big girl”? I can’t believe this comment.

23 meg May 31, 2011 at 4:29 pm

so many typos!

24 Lacey May 31, 2011 at 6:38 pm

Give her a break!

25 Mac May 31, 2011 at 5:05 pm

All of my college friends are starting to move far away, I’m not a fan… I am pretty lucky though to have seen two of them fairly recently, one last week and the other 3 months ago. Nothing beats the bond of roommates!
Mac recently posted..Three Cheers for a Long Weekend!

26 Lisa (bakebikeblog) May 31, 2011 at 5:05 pm

How fun!!!!
Lisa (bakebikeblog) recently posted..Rollin’ at the Rugby

27 Kristin May 31, 2011 at 5:44 pm

I borrowed my roomie’s closet, too πŸ™‚ She actually came down to FL to visit her mom (in Brandon) about six weeks ago, so we got together then – loved it! We both have baby girls now, so it’s a far cry from our college days, haha.
Kristin recently posted..Stowing away infancy

28 Krystina (Organically Me) May 31, 2011 at 5:59 pm

My college roommate’s and I just left each other 2 weeks ago, so I’ll let you know in a few years. πŸ˜‰
Krystina (Organically Me) recently posted..Theres the Rub

29 Kaitlyn @ 7 Plates May 31, 2011 at 6:02 pm

I roomie freshman year was outgoing and I was quiet too. It worked! She taught me a lot as well! πŸ˜›
Kaitlyn @ 7 Plates recently posted..Chocolate Protein Pancakes

30 Christine May 31, 2011 at 6:14 pm

All you food bloggers and your food trucks! Man, I’m jealous! It has been years since I caught up with my roommates- I’m not sure if that’s a bad thing, though.
Christine recently posted..A New Reading Companion

31 Cara May 31, 2011 at 6:59 pm

How fun!!! I actually just skyped with my college roommate last night! We’ve only not been roommates for about 2 months, but it was still wonderful to catch up!

32 Alaina May 31, 2011 at 7:59 pm

I want to go to that taco bus!! That looks amazing. πŸ™‚

I’m actually seeing my roommates in about 2 weeks. I haven’t seen them since 2008 so I’m very excited!
Alaina recently posted..My First Marathon

33 Raquelita May 31, 2011 at 8:07 pm

Fun times! I was able to meet up with my college roommate of 3 years in February. He lives in Phoenix now and I had a layover there, so he came to the airport, and we had lunch and caught up in person.
Raquelita recently posted..Race Report- Madison Half Marathon

34 Ali @ Ali Runs May 31, 2011 at 8:17 pm

The taco truck looks amazing!! It’s so awesome that it’s so close to you.
Ali @ Ali Runs recently posted..Buffalo Half Marathon Race Recap

35 Lauren May 31, 2011 at 8:23 pm

I always wonder what some of my old college friends are up to but sadly, I don’t even remember most of their last names so I can’t find them on FB.

A taco bus that serves butternut squash tacos? Sign me up!!
Lauren recently posted..Our Memorial Day Open House Party

36 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife May 31, 2011 at 8:25 pm

oooh yummy! those look great!

37 Christine May 31, 2011 at 8:28 pm

I wish I had stayed in touch with my roommate from my freshmen year! She was only there for a year as an exchange student from England. She sent a wedding announcement to me at my parents’ house awhile back, but with no return address!
The way we met was kind of funny. I had moved into the dorms early because of marching band. She moved in early also, so I assumed that she was rushing a sorority (the only other people who were there early, as far as I knew). I asked her if she was “rushing”, and she looked at me with a very confused look and said, “No, I’m English!”
Christine recently posted..Randomness

38 Liv @ The Salty n' Sweet May 31, 2011 at 8:48 pm

I wish that I could’ve been close friends with my roommates in high school, but the chemistry just wasn’t there.

Wow butternut squash at a taco joint?? That sounds delicious πŸ™‚
Liv @ The Salty n’ Sweet recently posted..Lights and Cameras

39 Kate May 31, 2011 at 9:16 pm

Ha, I lived in Sally Hall too (96-97)! Ahhh, good times!

40 Lauren @ Team Giles June 1, 2011 at 12:29 am

I love that you went to “taco bus”. πŸ™‚ so randomly fun.

I love seeing the past & present pictures! You’re so cute!
Lauren @ Team Giles recently posted..The USDA to change the Food Pyramid this Week

41 Katie June 1, 2011 at 11:40 am

Yay for round 2 at Taco Bus! I finally was able to get there last weekend with the husband, and it was delish! I tried the tostadas as well (one chicken and one vegetarian with the poblano peppers) and they were fabulous…hubby had a variety of tacos (different meats in each one). I love their salsa verde as well; the spicier the better! Next time I get around to that part of town I’ll have to try a few different options!
Katie recently posted..I met a celebrity! Kind of

42 Emily @ Perfection Isn't Happy June 1, 2011 at 9:20 pm

I haven’t seen my freshmen roommate since the day we moved out freshmen year! But I get together with my sophomore roommate about once a month! She has plans to move across the country soon though, which will be a sad day :(!
Emily @ Perfection Isn’t Happy recently posted..A letter to my 17-year-old self

43 Courtney W June 2, 2011 at 8:11 pm

Ahhhhhh! I love that you tried the butternut squash tostada and liked it!
Courtney W recently posted..50-50 Chance

44 Jenn June 9, 2011 at 12:25 pm

It’s bothered me for a few days now how you opine about the merits of your ‘natural hair’ towards a photo where your former roommate has clearly worked and processed hair. It’s things like this that can come across as particularly cruel towards others, and show that you’re clearly thinking primarily about yourself in day to day life.