Augusta Half Ironman Training Plan

by Meghann on May 31, 2011

Are you ready for it?!?!?

I know I’ve been keeping you on the edge of your seat for far too long. The truth is this is my first triathlon plan ever and I wanted to make sure I put a lot of thought into it.

I don’t want to just finish Augusta – I want to ROCK It!

So, without further adieu, I present you with my August Half Ironman Training Plan. :)

Screen shot 2011-05-30 at 11.52.09 AM.png Screen shot 2011-05-30 at 11.52.14 AM.png Screen shot 2011-05-30 at 11.52.16 AM.png Screen shot 2011-05-30 at 11.52.18 AM.png

Just Kidding!

You can see the full plan by CLICKING HERE. I figured importing the plan to a Google Doc was MUCH easier than worrying about squinting eyes, font size, etc. :)

(FYI: The template was built in PowerPoint by Megan (who no longer has a public blog). If you want a copy of the original template please send me an e-mail at mealsandmiles@gmail.com)

Let’s break this down…

The original 16 week training plan is based off of Amateur Endurance’s 16-week Half Ironman Training Plan. I studied a handful of plans before deciding that Amateur Endurance’s program worked best with my current level of fitness and could easily be mended to fit my lifestyle.

Screen shot 2011-05-30 at 12.43.22 PM.png

I only needed a handful of changes to make it work.

Screen shot 2011-05-30 at 12.57.53 PM.png

Most notably you will see where I added in strength training with New Rules of Lifting for Women

Screen shot 2011-05-30 at 12.45.57 PM.png

And adjusted it to fit in various races

Screen shot 2011-05-30 at 12.56.19 PM.png

This is a different training plan then I have grown accustomed to. Instead of specific distant goals for each training day, I’m given time goals. I’ve never trained like this before, but am curious about how my body will adapt to it.

I’ve also stepped it up with a heavy emphasis on swimming, cycling, and bricks. As the schedule progresses there are two swim workouts a week, as well as a brick workout almost every weekend.

Courtney was great in designing three swim workouts that I can evolve and add onto as the program progresses. They are broken down by Pace, Test Set, and Nice & Easy Distance. I’ll go into further explanation as I test them out over the next few weeks.

I’ll also be joining the Tamp Tri Team every Tuesday for Track workouts. <– Really, Really excited for this!!!

The dark shaded areas represent vacations or when I will be going out of town. As you can see, those days are a little lighter than the previous ones.

Screen shot 2011-05-30 at 1.10.47 PM.png

I know on first glance the plan doesn’t look like it has a lot of rest days, but it’s really hard to fit in full rest days when you’re trying to work in so many activities. Instead of spending 3+ hours at the gym every week, I’ve broken the work outs down to have lighter days versus heavier ones. The lighter ones will act as my recovery time.

The original plan was actually more intense than I wound up with.

Screen shot 2011-05-30 at 1.18.29 PM.png

Umm… yeah. That was a big negative.

Screen shot 2011-05-30 at 1.19.23 PM.png

Much better. ;)

Other Races

I’ve worked in a handful of races into the plan to keep me up to par with my abilities.

I am not opposed to random yoga classes while training. All yoga is welcomed in my opinion. :)

Disclosure

I’ve run this plan by plenty of half ironman triathletes (as well as the Tampa Tri Team) and they’ve all given it a thumbs up. This plan isn’t meant for everyone, it has been customized to fit me at my level of fitness and commitment with this race. I’m just breaking down what I’M doing – not saying this is what YOU should be doing. Please consult your doctor or other professionals before starting to follow a plan at this level.

I think that’s it! I’m really excited about this plan and can’t wait to start going full force with it next Monday!! Woop! Woop!

1 Gina @Runningtothekitchen May 31, 2011 at 9:19 am

Good luck with this!
Gina @Runningtothekitchen recently posted..Ireland Day 6 &amp 7- Killarney

2 Kaitlin May 31, 2011 at 9:19 am

Love the plan! Thanks for sharing. I love that it has lots of things mixed in– a sure way to not get bored and avoid injury. Good luck!
Kaitlin recently posted..Bayshore Marathon Recap

3 Liv @ The Salty n' Sweet May 31, 2011 at 9:23 am

The plan sounds really comprehensive and not too time consuming! Good luck with the training, and I’m sure you’ll kick butt come triathlon time :)
Liv @ The Salty n’ Sweet recently posted..Lights and Cameras

4 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat May 31, 2011 at 9:23 am

Good luck Meghann!! You’re just like me – a major planner!! I can’t wait to hear how it goes for you. I’m pretty sure that with training like this, you won’t be disappointed!
Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat recently posted..The Good and the Bad

5 Michelle May 31, 2011 at 9:25 am

That looks like a solid, well thought out plan. Best of luck to you
Michelle recently posted..Weekend at Home

6 Holly @ The Runny Egg May 31, 2011 at 9:28 am

Looks like an intense plan! Good luck with it all!
Holly @ The Runny Egg recently posted..Tomato Face

7 miranda @ working mom works out May 31, 2011 at 9:31 am

Wow, that looks tough. Knock it out, girl!

8 Michelle@ Crazy*Running*Legs May 31, 2011 at 9:54 am

Woot for having an official plan!! It looks crazy tough, but I guess a Half Ironman is no joke. Good luck :)

9 Alaina May 31, 2011 at 9:58 am

That is awesome. I don’t think I could ever do an ironman race. I’m sure you’ll do a great job!!
Alaina recently posted..My First Marathon

10 Laura May 31, 2011 at 10:03 am

For some reason, the link to the plan links to passionate4life.wordpress.com for me… weird! Could you repost a link to it?

11 Meghann May 31, 2011 at 10:09 am

Thanks for letting me know! I fixed it.

12 Megan May 31, 2011 at 10:04 am

I am having the same issue as Laura and am getting redirected to passionate4life.wordpress.com. I would love a repost so I can see the plan!
Thanks!

13 Meghann May 31, 2011 at 10:09 am

Fixed!

14 Jay May 31, 2011 at 10:34 am

Best of luck with your half IM!!! Train hard and have fun.

15 Jemma @ Celery and Cupcakes May 31, 2011 at 10:34 am

This looks hardcore! I hope it goes well for you!
Jemma @ Celery and Cupcakes recently posted..I HEART May

16 Kristen @ SEO Runner May 31, 2011 at 10:35 am

Awesome plan. I’m trying to expand my training since I’m planning 6+ half marathons beginning in the fall and I’m nursing a pulled groin.

Cross training will help, as will your plan.

Thanks!

17 Kristen @ SEO Runner May 31, 2011 at 10:39 am

I’ll be at the Oldsmar 5k too!

It’s my first planned run after two weeks of rest (due to groin mentioned above).

Should be a good time for all!
Kristen @ SEO Runner recently posted..How to Integrate SEO into your Company Culture

18 Meghann May 31, 2011 at 10:41 am

I hope I get to meet you there!

19 Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun May 31, 2011 at 10:36 am

Exciting to have a plan all together. I love the feeling of having a plan and then just going for it. Such a feeling of accomplishment to work through one.
Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun recently posted..Self-Love Reflection- Overcoming Binging

20 amyt @ Chicken Nugget Momma May 31, 2011 at 10:36 am

GOOD luck – you will rock it!
amyt @ Chicken Nugget Momma recently posted..What the future holds

21 Rae May 31, 2011 at 10:38 am

Looks great! Just my two cents, but I would make a few of the bikes distance based-I did both a 50 and 60 mile bke before my first HIM just to make sure I could!! And I know you want to rock it, but I hope you’re ok with finishing being a goal-especially with longer tri’s sometimes having a time goal for the first one can be rough-there are way too many things you can’t account for on a 5-8 hour day :-) Personally I think youre gonna ROCK it just by finishing!!!
Rae recently posted..It’s gettin’ hot in here…

22 Meghann May 31, 2011 at 10:40 am

By ‘Rock this’ I mean I want to finish with a smile, not finish and feeling like I’m going to die :)

23 Rae May 31, 2011 at 11:41 am

awesome goal :-) You can SO do that and with your strong run base I know you’ll rock it! I spoke from going into my first HIM with a time goal-big mistake :-P
Rae recently posted..It’s gettin’ hot in here…

24 Maria May 31, 2011 at 10:43 am

Uoooo! I am impressed!!
Maria recently posted..La primera vez

25 Lindsey @ SoundEats May 31, 2011 at 10:46 am

You’ll be running “my” beach at that Olympic Beach Tri! ;) I grew up in Sarasota and Ross and I actually got engaged on Siesta Key. Let me know if you have any questions about the area!
Lindsey @ SoundEats recently posted..PCOS &amp a New Lifestyle

26 Leah @ L4L May 31, 2011 at 10:58 am

I’m exhausted just looking at that training schedule! I don’t know how you won’t burnout, honestly. 3 weeks without a rest day? Ouch. Make sure you adjust the schedule as necessary – remember it is ok to scale back to lifting 2x a week when your HIM training gets amped up. I think you underestimate how much those NROL4W workouts can wipe you out. Just my opinion.

27 Meghann May 31, 2011 at 11:01 am

Totally agree and that thought is in the back of my mind, trust me. I’m more than ok with adjust or scaling back if the time comes!

28 Holly @ Pink Runner May 31, 2011 at 11:01 am

My boyfriend completed the Lake Placid Ironman last summer and it was awesome to watch. Good luck!!
Holly @ Pink Runner recently posted..Saturday Run

29 Ali @ Ali Runs May 31, 2011 at 11:03 am

Good luck with your training, Meghann!! I would love to do a HIM one day, so I look forward to following your training!
Ali @ Ali Runs recently posted..Buffalo Half Marathon Race Recap

30 Angela @ My Pinky Toes May 31, 2011 at 11:17 am

Good luck with your training!!! You will rock it!

31 Theresa @ActiveEggplant.com May 31, 2011 at 11:22 am

So awesome you’re doing Siesta Beach! I did a sprint on the same course in October & my biggest tip? Practice running through the loose/sugar sand A LOT! You’ll run through it THREE times – out of the water, after T2 at the start of the run, and just before the run finish. It really kicked my tail! I’ll definitely be doing sugar sand repeats while I’m training for the Siesta Beach sprint event!
Theresa @ActiveEggplant.com recently posted..Event Announcement- 100 MON

32 Meghann May 31, 2011 at 11:28 am

Thanks for the heads up!

33 sarah (the SHU box) May 31, 2011 at 11:56 am

i’ve been waiting to see this so i can live vicariously through you :)

it looks awesome! great variety, a decent # of rest days. i honestly think this would be hard to do without a flexible job, but thankfully you have one so i say this is awesome. i think you’ll have such a great time prepping for this event! can’t wait to follow along!!
sarah (the SHU box) recently posted..vac-extension

34 Meghann May 31, 2011 at 12:00 pm

Thanks Sarah :) that means a lot coming from you!

35 Emily @ Savory and Savage May 31, 2011 at 12:01 pm

Wow, I didn’t realize that training for a triathlon was so involved! Very interesting to read about.
Emily @ Savory and Savage recently posted..It has begun

36 Amy May 31, 2011 at 12:35 pm

Good work on putting together the training plan. I’m tired just reading about it.

Rookie question, and I’m sure there’s science behind it… how come all your run’s are on the short(er) side? I know lots of them are in the brick format, but there don’t seem to be any long runs?

Curious on the science behind that.
Amy recently posted..kind of a big deal

37 Meghann May 31, 2011 at 1:41 pm

No science, I’m just the strongest in my running, so I’m less concerned with that. The running is only 13.1 miles – a distance I know my body can handle if I keep my endurance up.

38 Stephanie May 31, 2011 at 3:57 pm

Yay! good luck, you will totally rock it!
Stephanie recently posted..Race Recap- So You Had A Bad Day

39 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife May 31, 2011 at 8:28 pm

very cool! Thanks for sharing :)

40 Marissa June 1, 2011 at 8:28 am

Whew, I’m tired just looking at that plan! Good luck, Meghann; you always work so hard when you put your mind to something, so I know you can do it!
Marissa recently posted..Math Kills Me

41 Lara June 1, 2011 at 2:31 pm

I just finished my triathlon training plan this week too! I’m doing a 1/2 Ironman distance AquaBike in July (I’m not much of a runner), but plan to keep at the training leading up to the Nautica Malibu Triathlon (Sprint distance – with my company’s Tri team) in September. Last year I placed 6th in my group — plan to make it at least onto the podium (1 – 5) this year! :)
Lara recently posted..Oh- What a Weekend!

42 becelisa March 20, 2012 at 1:15 pm

Hi. I just registered for the 2012 Augusta Half Ironman and keep stumbling across your blog as I search for training plans and info on the race. I was wondering if you still had your training calendar template available? It’s so easy to follow and I definitely need to lay my training plans out in a similar fashion. It sounds like you had a great experience! This will be my first and I am crazy excited but nervous as all get out. Any advice and info you could share would be welcomed!