Memorial Day Monday

by Meghann on May 30, 2011

Good Morning! πŸ™‚

And Happy Memorial Day!

For the life of me I couldn’t remember what I was doing last Memorial Day. Usually Derek and I take advantage of three day weekends with quick trips, but this year we decided to stay home and I couldn’t remember if we had made the same decision last year or not.

Turns out we had. πŸ™‚ Thanks to a little blog googling I discovered I had stayed at home to attend a bridal shower (for a friend who was married last July and is now expecting her first child – so much can change in a year) and – oddly enough – a year a go today I was joining my sister at Lucky Lake for an open water swim. It’s funny because my little brother and sister are at Lucky Lake right now for an open water swim. I wish I was with them!

In absence of Lucky Lake, I hit the gym today.

Thirty minutes on the elliptical followed by The New Rules of Lifting for Women Stage 1 Workout B (aka NROLFW 1B). I really tried to step up the weights today by adding at least 5 pounds to all of my previous amounts. I think those new increments finally allowed me to hit the sweet spot with weights. Each move was a challenge and after each set I knew I couldn’t do anymore – a good sign that you’re lifting the right amount.

Breakfast Oats

In the mix:

• 1/3 cup Rolled Oats
  • 1/3 cup Water
  • 1/3 Silk Almond Milk
  • Chia Seeds
  • Cinnamon
  • Chopped Dates

On top:

• Apple
  • Granola
  • Naturally Nutty Chocolate Toffee Peanut Butter

While most of America is enjoying the holiday, I have some work to catch up on. Today is mainly dedicated to The Healthy Living Summit agenda, writing my Half Ironman Training post, and a little bit of this and that.

At least Derek is home to keep me company…. once he wakes up. πŸ˜‰

Have a great Memorial Day friends!

1 The Teenage Taste May 30, 2011 at 9:43 am

Sounds like a great day to me! I can’t wait to see what’s on the agenda for HLS! I wanna go so badly! πŸ™‚
The Teenage Taste recently posted..Red Velvet Pancakes With Cream Cheese Frosting

2 Jenny @ Fitness Health and Food May 30, 2011 at 9:50 am

awesome job on upping your weights, you go girl!

Can’t wait to see the HLS agenda, I’m really hoping to be able to go this year! πŸ™‚
Jenny @ Fitness Health and Food recently posted..Shopping for Dreams…

3 Healthy Pants May 30, 2011 at 9:51 am

I’m really excited to hear your progress with NROWLFW. I read it a few weeks ago and keep meaning to implement more lifting into my routine as well.
Healthy Pants recently posted..Juice-aversary

4 Ash Bear May 30, 2011 at 9:52 am

Happy Memorial Day pretty lady! Great job keeping up with the weights. I can’t wait to see the HLS agenda. Also, when is sign up? I’m fearful it’ll be while I’m in Bermuda!!

5 Kaitlyn @ 7 Plates May 30, 2011 at 9:59 am

Looks delicious! I need to head over the grocery store. I have 0 food!
Kaitlyn @ 7 Plates recently posted..Chocolate Protein Pancakes

6 Cara May 30, 2011 at 10:05 am

Those oats look great! Have a super day, and don’t work too hard!

7 Liv @ The Salty n' Sweet May 30, 2011 at 10:11 am

Yes please update with news on HLS agenda! Hopefully you’ll get some downtime in between all of your work πŸ™‚
Liv @ The Salty n’ Sweet recently posted..Changes

8 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat May 30, 2011 at 10:14 am

I so wish I could make it to the HLS this year, but, as was the case last year, I have another fitness conference to attend on the same weekend (Can Fit Pro Toronto). Maybe next year! Happy Memorial Day Meghann!
Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat recently posted..The Good and the Bad

9 Holly @ Pink Runner May 30, 2011 at 10:16 am

Those oats look so good! I need to try apple and granola on top!
Holly @ Pink Runner recently posted..Saturday Run

10 Gina @Runningtothekitchen May 30, 2011 at 10:17 am

Sometimes I wish I could sleep that late but then I realize how much of the day I’d be wasting!
Gina @Runningtothekitchen recently posted..Ireland Day 6 &amp 7- Killarney

11 Kaitlin May 30, 2011 at 10:24 am

Nothing better than a relaxing memorial day. Also, Meghann, thanks so much for your sweet comment on my last post. Your blog was the first one I ever started reading and completely changed my life. I wouldn’t have run a 5K or even a marathon if it hadn’t been for you. Thanks πŸ™‚
Kaitlin recently posted..Bayshore Marathon Recap

12 Kate (What Kate is Cooking) May 30, 2011 at 10:39 am

I was inspired by your weight lifting post to try some free weights in the gym yesterday- a year ago I couldn’t even lift the bar when I was trying to do a bench press, and now I can do 75 pounds! It’s still not much, but it was pretty exciting- I really want to check out that book so I can improve more πŸ™‚
Kate (What Kate is Cooking) recently posted..Eat Your Beer

13 Holly @ The Runny Egg May 30, 2011 at 10:51 am

I’m glad you are finding a good amount of weight for your routine!

Have fun planning HLS stuff, I can’t wait to hear about it!
Holly @ The Runny Egg recently posted..Tomato Face

14 Jessica @ The Process of Healing May 30, 2011 at 11:22 am

Today is a work day for me too but i’d MUCH rather me at home relaxing!
Jessica @ The Process of Healing recently posted..Current Obsessions

15 Katy (The Singing Runner) May 30, 2011 at 12:24 pm

Have a great day! Can’t wait to see the HLS agenda! πŸ™‚
Katy (The Singing Runner) recently posted..The BEST 24 Hours!!!

16 Coach Brian May 30, 2011 at 1:06 pm

I’m spending Memorial Day catching up on my feed reader, which is quite full thanks to ignoring my computer for most of the weekend!
Coach Brian recently posted..The Plan

17 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife May 30, 2011 at 2:00 pm

Today is a relaxation day for me! Did a Zumba class, showered, ate, blogged, and now off to see a movie and spend time with the fam. wahoo!

18 Raquelita May 30, 2011 at 3:20 pm

I didn’t do any work this morning, but I have to do a little bit of work this afternoon on revisions since I’m going to take a few days completely off next month. I think last Memorial Day I was more or less doing the same.

Those oats look amazing!
Raquelita recently posted..Race Report- Madison Half Marathon

19 Sonja May 30, 2011 at 9:59 pm

Hi Meghann! I am a frequent reader but a first-time commenter, and I need some advice from you and/or other readers. I have been running for about 3 years and just finished my first marathon. Needless to say, I got bitten by the bug and am seriously considering registering for my second, which is mid-September. I loved everything about marathon training except for the fact that it REALLY took time and energy away from any strength training that I had done in the past.

One week after my marathon, I am SO proud of what I was able to accomplish as a runner, but also have been feeling kind of soft and flabby b/c I really kind of let my strength training slide while training for my first marathon. I am bound and determined not to let that happen again, so I purchased the New Rules of Lifting for Women book. I am so excited to have a strength-training routine (like you, I have always just kind of dabbled in it), but here’s my question– is it TOO MUCH to train for marathon #2 this summer while concurrently beginning the New Rules of Lifting program? I figured you’d be a great person to ask because you’re training for the 1/2 Ironman, but I would appreciate any and all advice.

Sorry for the length, and thanks in advance! πŸ™‚

20 Meghann May 31, 2011 at 9:32 am

I’m determined to incorporate strength training into my triathlon training, so I know you can do it with marathon training. Unfortunately I’m not a professional so if you’re not sure if you should, then I would suggest talking to a personal trainer or real running coach before pursuing. Good Luck πŸ™‚

21 Coach Brian May 31, 2011 at 11:15 am

Hi Sonja,

Basically, it all comes down to time. I highly recommend strength training during marathon training for many reasons, not least of which is the fact that it helps prevent running related overuse injuries. So, if you’ve got the time, then strength train during your marathon training. If you don’t have the time to do both and you want to do well in the marathon, then the principle of specificity in training would dictate that you should run instead.

Having said that, it’s not as difficult as you might think to fit the strength training in, though. I recommend doing it twice a week when you’ve got a short, easy run scheduled. Use the run as a warm up and then hit the weights afterward. Be careful not to strength train before your toughest speed workouts. Avoid strength training your legs the day before or after your long runs. If you’re feeling sore in the beginning, you can probably train through that. If you start getting soreness that lasts more than a day late in your training, then don’t be afraid to take an extra day off here and there.

You can strength train right up to about 3 weeks before your marathon. Cut it out as you start your training taper.

I’m more concerned about the proximity of your marathons. Most professionals don’t even run marathons that close together. I’d prefer to see about 6 months or more between marathons. If you’re just running to finish, you’ll probably be okay, but if you’re racing them you may be setting yourself up for injury.
Coach Brian recently posted..The Plan

22 Sonja May 31, 2011 at 7:13 pm

Hi Brian, thanks for your reply and advice. I am super stoked to get into some regular strength training. I think it will do great things for my running. I’m not really worried about time to fit it into my schedule… luckily, I am a teacher, so for the next 2.5 months, my schedule is pretty open! I was more worried about whether a rigorous strength training routine would be too difficult during marathon training. However, your advice about fitting strength training in with short, easy runs (and avoiding before/after long runs or speed work) makes total sense.

You DID cause me to think about registering for a second marathon so soon after #1. I did pretty well for a first-timer (4:31), but my oh-so-competitive self immediately started thinking, “I can do better than that!” Which then resulted in thinking about registering for a fall marathon. But it sounds like you think it might be too much, too soon? To tell you the truth, part of the appeal of registering for another marathon in September is the fact that I have all summer to really focus on training. But the last thing I want to do is get injured… hmmm…. dilemma, dilemma! πŸ™‚

23 Coach Brian May 31, 2011 at 7:21 pm

You could always run a half marathon in the fall and then do a full in the winter or spring. Although I’m biased because I’m leading teams for both, I’d recommend the Disney Wine & Dine half marathon in October, followed by the Walt Disney World marathon in January…hey it’s an excuse to go to Disney World!
Coach Brian recently posted..The Plan

24 Barbara Ling, MamaBear May 31, 2011 at 4:27 am

Weight lifting and strength training rocks! I find it to be one of the best ways to stay in shape. Memorial day was relaxing for me, compared to the week that’s currently staring at me right now…. πŸ™‚
Barbara Ling, MamaBear recently posted..97 Marvelous Memorial Day Resources – God Bless the USA