Kabobs

by Meghann on May 29, 2011

OK, so this wasn’t exactly an extravagant meal, but kabobs are still pretty dang special for a Sunday ngiht.

I was perusing the Whole Foods Website -looking for dinner ideas- when I came across a photo of kabobs that caught my attention. Kabobs are one of those delicious concoctions that are easy to make (and great for pleasing a crowd!), but involve some prep work (turning an easy dish into a complicated one).

I prepped large chunks of eggplant, pineapple, green pepper, onion, cherry tomatoes, mushrooms, and steak for tonight’s kabobs.

Then one-by-one added each piece to bamboo skewers. (with Derek’s help πŸ˜‰ )

The skewers went under the broiler for 3-4 minutes per side (I like my meat medium-rare).

The results were simple and delicious.

Served on a bed of yellow rice.

We had seasoned the steak with a fancy salt mix, but the rest of the vegetables were simply seasoned with salt and pepper. The simple seasoning was all the vegetables really needed, each flavor stood out perfectly on it’s own.

For dessert I had a serving of ice cream.

Have a great night!

1 Holly @ Pink Runner May 29, 2011 at 10:27 pm

Those kabobs look so good and would be perfect for Memorial Day!
Holly @ Pink Runner recently posted..Saturday Run

2 Kate (What Kate is Cooking) May 29, 2011 at 10:31 pm

I’m planning on making tofu kebabs tomorrow πŸ™‚ I’ve never made them before, so I’m pretty excited!
Kate (What Kate is Cooking) recently posted..Eat Your Beer

3 Tori (Fresh Fruition) May 29, 2011 at 10:31 pm

I love kabobs! I’ve been wanting to grill some up for dinner for a while. Its an awesome thing to have as the only vegetarian in the bunch. Just replace meat chunks with tofu on a few of the sticks and you’re good to go!
Tori (Fresh Fruition) recently posted..Hot Days- Cold Oats- and Graduation

4 River May 29, 2011 at 10:34 pm

Haha, it always amuses me how they’re called kabobs in America! We call them kebabs.

Love the ingredients you put on yours! I love making satay ones.
River recently posted..May Wishlist – Revisited

5 Carly May 29, 2011 at 10:35 pm

Mmm! Great summer dinner! It almost demands to be eaten on a patio πŸ™‚
Carly recently posted..wine weekends

6 Miranda @ Working Mom Works Out May 29, 2011 at 10:39 pm

Kabobs are always a good idea. And I’ve never put eggplant on them. I’ll have to try that.
Miranda @ Working Mom Works Out recently posted..Pre Race Day Jitters

7 Courtney @ The Granola Chronicles May 29, 2011 at 10:40 pm

I feel like kabobs are a perfect meal for summer – and on Memorial Day weekend, nonetheless! πŸ™‚
Courtney @ The Granola Chronicles recently posted..529 Sunday Sunset

8 Lesley Lifting Life May 29, 2011 at 10:41 pm

I love kabobs, and they always look so impressive and delicious!

9 Jessica @ The Process of Healing May 29, 2011 at 10:47 pm

YUM! I’ve been craving steak like crazy!
Jessica @ The Process of Healing recently posted..Current Obsessions

10 Gina @Runningtothekitchen May 29, 2011 at 10:49 pm

I just saw some good looking kabobs in the grocery store and almost bought them before realizing how easy (and cheap) it is to do myself. I might be grilling some up tomorrow if I get inspired to chop all the ingredients. Yours look good!
Gina @Runningtothekitchen recently posted..Ireland Day 6 &amp 7- Killarney

11 Katy (The Singing Runner) May 29, 2011 at 10:57 pm

I love kabobs! Perfect summer food! πŸ™‚
Katy (The Singing Runner) recently posted..The BEST 24 Hours!!!

12 Jenny @ Fitness Health and Food May 29, 2011 at 11:19 pm

Looks delish, so you glad you had a nice dinner and a lovely day! πŸ™‚

13 Lisa (bakebikeblog) May 29, 2011 at 11:36 pm

oooh yummo! Sounds delish!
Lisa (bakebikeblog) recently posted..Rollin’ at the Rugby

14 Rachel @ Grateful Girl Goes Gluten Free May 30, 2011 at 12:34 am

Kabobs are such a summer food. It makes me so excited for summer to finally get here!
Rachel @ Grateful Girl Goes Gluten Free recently posted..Rock Climbing and my first Half Marathon

15 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife May 30, 2011 at 1:21 am

mmm kebabs sound like a great idea for summer food!

16 The Teenage Taste May 30, 2011 at 7:11 am

Kabobs are my FAVORITE BBQ food. Hands down, all-time favorite right therre! I love how you added pineapple onto the skewers. Grilled pineapple is amazing!
The Teenage Taste recently posted..Red Velvet Pancakes With Cream Cheese Frosting

17 Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun May 30, 2011 at 7:42 am

I haven’t had kabobs in years. Don’t know why because I love them!
Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun recently posted..Self-Love Reflection- Overcoming Binging

18 Hilary May 30, 2011 at 7:44 am

Mmmm…ice cream is extravagant though. Was the eggplant done enough with that short amount of time under the broiler? I wouldn’t think it would cook enough.
Hilary recently posted..Bend- Dig- Water- Plant- Repeat

19 Meghann May 30, 2011 at 1:44 pm

I enjoy my eggplant tough, so I’m not the best person to judge, but Derek ate all his and didn’t have one complaint. πŸ™‚

20 Hilary May 30, 2011 at 7:21 pm

Good to know! Personally, I like to grill/roast the heck out of it so it’s nice and tender.
Hilary recently posted..How to get to Sesame-less Street

21 Liv @ The Salty n' Sweet May 30, 2011 at 8:25 am

HAH I love that you use the Whole Foods website. I do the same when I’m in a rut for preparing a healthy meal.

Kebabs are one of my favorite things, especially with lambbbb πŸ™‚
Liv @ The Salty n’ Sweet recently posted..Changes

22 Stephanie @ StephSnacks May 30, 2011 at 8:43 am

Looks like you had a great day! I recently got back into kabobs, they are so convenient and include every food group, delish πŸ™‚
Stephanie @ StephSnacks recently posted..Girls Getaway

23 Holly @ The Runny Egg May 30, 2011 at 9:03 am

I love kabobs — and I agree that they are a pretty fancy meal! And I think any meal that ends with ice cream is a very good meal indeed.
Holly @ The Runny Egg recently posted..Tomato Face

24 Brittney May 31, 2011 at 8:11 am

YUM! I haven’t had kabobs in a while! Must make some πŸ™‚