Beach Day

by Meghann on May 29, 2011

This is the good life.

Beach. Sun. Sand. Love it!

Derek and I spent our free Sunday in beautiful St. Pete Beach.

Yes, we braved the Memorial Day crowds and tourists for a taste of sun and sand, but just like the rest of America, this was the only free day we could! πŸ˜‰

On the way I had an Almond Biscotti from my Foodzie Box. (Foodbuzz Freebie) I loved the whole almond pieces in the biscotti, but it was admittedly a little too crumbly for eating in the car.

We arrived in St. Pete to clear skies and were lucky to find a spot without too much of a hassle. The beach was crowded, but nothing too out of the ordinary for a beautiful summer day.

We shared a bag of plantain chips and I caught myself up in celebrity gossip. (People is my guilty pleasure!)

IMG_0115.JPG IMG_0114.JPG

The beach is a funny thing – you spend all this time getting out to it and talking it up – but as soon as you get there and spend an hour or so in the sun – you’re done.

It was HOT. We lasted a little more than hour before saying Uncle and heading down the beach for lunch.

I told Derek I wanted to eat at a really good seafood spot by the water and he led us to Hurricane Seafood Restaurant.

I ordered the Grilled Grouper Salad and enjoyed every fresh bite.

It was the perfect place to end the day at the beach. πŸ™‚

The drive home was a lot quicker than the ride to the beach. I enjoyed some frozen mango when I walked in the door.

So refreshing!

I’m in a mood to cook an extravagant meal tonight. Any idea?!?

1 Toronto Girl West May 29, 2011 at 5:38 pm

Here in the Canadian Rockies it’s rainy cold and not very warm at all! So I’m living vicariously through your post! πŸ˜‰
Toronto Girl West recently posted..The Weekend Edition

2 Dawn @ Blonde on a Mission May 29, 2011 at 5:42 pm

I totally agree with you on that. I spent a week planning a trip to this park & beach and we spent an hour and a half there and were completely wiped out from the sun. That salad looks phenomenal!
Dawn @ Blonde on a Mission recently posted..When All Else Fails…

3 Katrina (gluten free gidget) May 29, 2011 at 5:42 pm

BBQ Stuffed Aloha Chicken: http://glutenfreegidget.blogspot.com/2011/02/island-beats-tasty-treats.html

Ciao Bella Quiche w/ a Brown Rice Crust: http://glutenfreegidget.blogspot.com/2010/10/ciao-bella.html

Kelp Noodles w/ Wild Mushrooms & Ginger Mirin Sauce: http://glutenfreegidget.blogspot.com/2010/09/kelp-and-kickball.html

Pan Seared Duck Breast w/ Black Plum-Balsamic Reduction: http://glutenfreegidget.blogspot.com/2010/03/duck-duck-goose.html

4 Gina @Runningtothekitchen May 29, 2011 at 5:44 pm

I hate how that always happens once you get to the beach! Looks like a great day though.
Gina @Runningtothekitchen recently posted..Ireland Day 6 &amp 7- Killarney

5 Courtney May 29, 2011 at 5:52 pm

I spent my weekend sailing and beaching in the St. Pete/Tampa Bay area. πŸ™‚ I’m used to the East Coast beaches (Daytona, Cocoa) and it was a nice change to get to the fine sandy beaches and clearer waters. Yay for beach days; I’m glad you enjoyed yours!
Courtney recently posted..Fighting Fatigue

6 Holly @ The Runny Egg May 29, 2011 at 5:57 pm

You are so right — spend all that time packing up the car, sitting in traffic to only be at the beach for an hour. But that one hour is so amazing! I love sitting out in the sun.
Holly @ The Runny Egg recently posted..Tomato Face

7 Ash Bear May 29, 2011 at 6:01 pm

Today was a beach day for us too!! We have to travel 45 minutes there so we make ourselves last longer. I think the trick is that it is still cooler here (only 80) versus 90 or something!
Ash Bear recently posted..Starting the Long Weekend Right

8 Callie May 29, 2011 at 6:04 pm

We were down near Hurricane’s yesterday actually! Too bad we missed eachother by a day. πŸ™‚
Callie recently posted..Choosing Patience

9 Holly @ Pink Runner May 29, 2011 at 6:06 pm

Lucky! The beach looks so nice!
Holly @ Pink Runner recently posted..Saturday Run

10 Lisa (bakebikeblog) May 29, 2011 at 6:30 pm

what a wonderful day in the sun!
Lisa (bakebikeblog) recently posted..Rollin’ at the Rugby

11 michelle May 29, 2011 at 6:37 pm

That hot weather looks glorious. I’m sitting in jeans and a sweater right now πŸ™
michelle recently posted..Weekend at Home

12 Erica May 29, 2011 at 6:40 pm

I haven’t braved the beaches here yet this weekend- the tourists always scare me πŸ™‚ You two are adorable πŸ™‚ A good seafood meal and the beach go SO well together. hmmm what about a stuffed chicken breast? Or risotto?
Erica recently posted..Bricco Bracco &amp Pregnancy Update-VLOG Week 31

13 Krystina (Organically Me) May 29, 2011 at 6:57 pm

I LOVE St. Pete’s! Such a pretty beach.
Krystina (Organically Me) recently posted..Theres the Rub

14 erica May 29, 2011 at 7:13 pm

love it! i need a beach day too!
(i can’t take more than an hour either!)

15 Kaitlyn @ 7 Plates May 29, 2011 at 9:00 pm

I can spend some pretty intense time on the beach!.. but I sunburn so easily. Looks like some pretty water!
Kaitlyn @ 7 Plates recently posted..Chocolate Protein Pancakes

16 Hilary May 29, 2011 at 9:18 pm

mmmm….frozen mango…just bought some myself! If in the mood for something extravagant, why not got for something summer-y and load up a burger with lots of fixin’s?
Hilary recently posted..Bend- Dig- Water- Plant- Repeat

17 Miranda @ Working Mom Works Out May 29, 2011 at 9:38 pm

No, I had leftover pizza. But I can’t wait to see what you make!
Miranda @ Working Mom Works Out recently posted..Pre Race Day Jitters

18 Liv @ The Salty n' Sweet May 29, 2011 at 9:51 pm

I totally agree that the beach is more about the build-up. I always glamorize laying out on the sand, but once I’m there, I get bored or too overheated, and leave pretty soon after I arrive. But it’s still a good time, so it’s worth it πŸ™‚
Liv @ The Salty n’ Sweet recently posted..Changes

19 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey May 29, 2011 at 10:43 pm

I love days at the beach! And as long as I have the water, I can last in the sun FOREVER!
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..food phases

20 Alaina May 29, 2011 at 10:55 pm

I’m the same way about the beach! Get all ready to go and only stay for an hour. I bore easily. πŸ˜›
Alaina recently posted..My First Marathon

21 Coach Brian May 30, 2011 at 12:56 pm

The Hurricane is always a good choice! You should get yourself a big beach umbrella to create some shade. Sitting in the shade makes things a lot cooler and allows you to enjoy the beach experience much longer!
Coach Brian recently posted..The Plan

22 Mac May 30, 2011 at 10:29 pm

I’m so jealous of everyone who got to spend the weekend at the beach! We didn’t get good weather until today!
Mac recently posted..Three Cheers for a Long Weekend!