A Summer Parfait

by Meghann on May 29, 2011

I love Sundays.

It’s rare when I have big things planned on Sundays, so they typically mean sleeping in and relaxing. Well, sleeping in, relaxing, and running. πŸ˜‰

This morning Maddie and I went for a nice 3 mile run around the neighborhood. As usual, she led the entire way going as fast as her little legs could take her! After our 3 mile loop, I dropped Maddie off at the house and went back out for an additional 2 miles – bringing my total to 5 miles for the day.

My HOT run was followed by a cold and refreshing breakfast.

Memorial Day Weekend is the official kick off to summer right? Well, parfaits scream summer to me. When it’s hot out, these little babies are the perfect way to cool down.\

IMG_6843.jpg

My parfait was layered with a fruit salad mix of mango, apple and strawberries, plain Chobani yogurt, and Back to Nature Chocolate Granola. The thin layers meant there was a perfect mix of everything.

Derek and I are taking advantage of this Sunday with a trip to the beach for a little fun in the sun (with plenty of sunscreen, of course). I can literally hear the beach calling my name from 30 minutes away.

Don’t worry beach! I’ll be there soon.

Do you have any big Memorial Day plans for today or tomorrow?

1 Cristina @ Girl Meets Pink May 29, 2011 at 9:27 am

I celebrated my 31st birthday on Friday, and today the big plan is to visit the Apple Store because I’m buying an iPad! It’s pretty warm here (Boston area) and I’m going to go for a hopeful 10K walk around a local lake.
Cristina @ Girl Meets Pink recently posted..The Best Kind of Present

2 Claire May 29, 2011 at 9:27 am

YUM! I love parfaits, they are definitely very summer for me too!
Claire recently posted..What I’d Rather Be Doing…

3 Heather @ Side of Sneakers May 29, 2011 at 9:30 am

So glad summer’s finally here! I’m out of town celebrating a wedding for the 3rd memorial day in a row- yikes.

4 Corrie Anne May 29, 2011 at 9:30 am

That parfait is absolutely gorgeous. Summer art!! πŸ™‚
Corrie Anne recently posted..Summer Baubles

5 Marina May 29, 2011 at 9:34 am

Parfaits are awesome. I had one yesterday for dinner, and again today for breakfast. So refreshing and delicious!
Enjoy the beach πŸ™‚
Marina recently posted..growing

6 Jenny @ Fitness Health and Food May 29, 2011 at 9:35 am

ohhh yey for a Maddie run! πŸ™‚

I wish it was warm enough here to go to the Lake Michigan beach. For us jsut some running, maybe dream shopping on the mag mile and good eats πŸ™‚

Have wonderful beach day! πŸ™‚

7 Liv @ The Salty n' Sweet May 29, 2011 at 9:41 am

My run this morning left me completely drenched! I wish I’d thought of making your fruit parfait. Instead, I just stuck with eating 1/2 a watermelon πŸ™‚

Have a great time at the beach!
Liv @ The Salty n’ Sweet recently posted..Homecoming

8 Holly @ The Runny Egg May 29, 2011 at 9:58 am

Nope, no plans as of now — I’m hoping my mother in law opened the pool so we can hopefully head over there!
Holly @ The Runny Egg recently posted..Tomato Face

9 Gina @Runningtothekitchen May 29, 2011 at 10:11 am

I wish the beach was that close! Enjoy!
Gina @Runningtothekitchen recently posted..Ireland Day 6 &amp 7- Killarney

10 Kate (What Kate is Cooking) May 29, 2011 at 10:20 am

I went to the beach yesterday and put sunscreen everywhere except my chest and nose… whoops! I am burned!
Kate (What Kate is Cooking) recently posted..Eat Your Beer

11 Courtney May 29, 2011 at 11:04 am

What a pretty parfait! My plans would be… work, work, and more work. I’m a country club waitress, so there is a big Memorial day party! wish me luck!
Courtney recently posted..Loves

12 kristi (sweet cheeks) May 29, 2011 at 11:55 am

have fun at the beach!! Sounds so amazing right about now! πŸ˜€
kristi (sweet cheeks) recently posted..Friday Faves

13 Sarah K May 29, 2011 at 12:41 pm

wow that breakfast looks delicious! Wish I’d had that yesterday after my race.
Sarah K recently posted..2011 Bayshore 10K

14 Leelu May 29, 2011 at 12:46 pm

Gosh that parfait looks ammmmmazing. I love fresh fruit and yogurt during the summer – there’s almost nothing better πŸ™‚
Leelu recently posted..New week resolutions

15 Christine May 29, 2011 at 1:05 pm

My Memorial Day plans are trying to house break my puppy and get him to eat. Sigh.
Christine recently posted..A New Reading Companion

16 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife May 29, 2011 at 1:20 pm

oh I wish the beach were closer to me….I can hear it calling my name too πŸ™‚

Have FUN! Love your glass layered parfait.

17 Hilary May 29, 2011 at 3:17 pm

No Memorial Day plans since I’m Canadian and our long weekend was last weekend! Sounds like a good Sunday to me though….and I am lovin’ the summer weather! πŸ˜‰
Hilary recently posted..Bend- Dig- Water- Plant- Repeat

18 Jemma @ Celery and Cupcakes May 29, 2011 at 3:53 pm

I love parfaits and this looks amazing!

19 Kaitlyn @ 7 Plates May 29, 2011 at 3:57 pm

That looks delicious! Makes me want to make one too!
Kaitlyn @ 7 Plates recently posted..Chocolate Protein Pancakes

20 Sheila May 29, 2011 at 4:13 pm

I love parfaits, that looks yummyyy I am sure you will be a beautiful bride.
Sheila recently posted..Elderly Home Care

21 Jamie Sometimes Healthy Girl May 29, 2011 at 4:13 pm

That parfait is sooo cute! It screams summer :-). No big plans for me. Just layin out and enjoying NYC in all its glory!
Jamie Sometimes Healthy Girl recently posted..Friendship and Frozen Hot Chocolate

22 Amanda@RunningOnCoffee May 29, 2011 at 5:05 pm

Rest day for running today…but my husband and I took the pup for a 2 mile walk and biked to a nearby orchard/farm for some produce…going to try to make a strawberry rhubarb pie tonight. Tomorrow I’m hoping to run early in the morning before it gets up to 93!
Amanda@RunningOnCoffee recently posted..Longest Post Ever

23 Stephanie May 29, 2011 at 8:09 pm

That parfait looks amazing. I really want to try it. I have never had that granola. looks good.
Stephanie recently posted..Slish Slosh in my Socks!!

24 Alaina May 30, 2011 at 4:17 pm

That parfait does look delicious! I love cool, refreshing breakfasts. πŸ™‚
Alaina recently posted..My First Marathon