One Cold Smoothie

by Meghann on May 27, 2011

Woo hoo!

LOVING all the feedback on The New Rules of Lifting for Women Plan post this morning. It’s good to hear guys are just as excited to follow along as I am to start! I’m really hoping to have my HIM plan up on Monday. I sent a final draft to both my sister and brother for a final set of eyes to review it before it goes live, but neither of them have replied. Should I take that as a sign? ;)

My morning started at the gym.

I did a quick warm up on the elliptical (about 5 minutes just getting legs and arms warm) before moving to Stage 1A of the NROLFW plan. Since Monday’s attack of the workout didn’t feel terribly challenging, I decided to add some weight today. Each set went up at different increments. It was tough, but still manageable – meaning I’ll probably be adding weight again on Monday and so forth.

After weights I hit a spinning class (I really dislike how my gym only offer 5:15am and 8:15am morning options – where’s 6:30 or 7:00?!?!) and worked up quite a sweat in the back of the room. Spinning classes are to cycling what track workouts are the running. They hurt so bad, but really make a difference in that sports performance.

The class let out after 9:00am and by them I was ready to eat my arm off. The 1/2 a Clif bar I usually eat every morning before working out was long gone and an empty stomach remained.

It was HOT and a smoothie in a bowl was the only thing on my mind.

Oh yeah, that hit the spot!

In the mix:

• Frozen Mango
  • Chocolate Protein Powder
  • PB2
  • Xanthum Gm
  • Plain Chobani
  • Silk Almond Milk
  • Flax Seed

On top:

• 1/2 cup Kashi Go Lean Crisp

The combination was exactly what I needed, something think and full of protein. I also loved how the fruity mango was very subtle, which allowed the creamy flavor of the chocolate and peanut butter really shine.

The smoothie kept me nice and full all morning.

When lunch hunger did hit I made a beautiful salad.

I’m not sure why, but when the rest of my vegetables run out in the fridge, it seems spinach always remains. Maybe that’s because I solely see spinach as a lettuce substitute and not as side item or meal component? I know spinach is full of lots of lovely vitamins and good for you things. Obviously I need to change my mind set and incorporate spinach when ever possible!

At least my love for spinach always shine though in salad form. I topped the big bowl of spinach today with Bacon Tempeh, Homemade Hummus, Bolthouse Yogurt Blue Cheese Dressing, Raisins, and Carrots.

Anyone got any good spinach side dish ideas?

1 Angela May 27, 2011 at 2:01 pm

I’ve had to mix in spinach with romaine or make a large green monster to use up my supply.

2 Holly @ The Runny Egg May 27, 2011 at 2:04 pm

I usually just saute it with some butter if I have it on the side, or I eat it as a salad. Nothing too exciting!

3 Ellie@fitforthesoul May 27, 2011 at 2:04 pm

Ohhh I’m not sure if you’ve tried korean food or anything, but there’s some refreshing and kiiiinda spicy spinach side dish that we eat all the time! It’s basically steamed spinach, sesame oil, sesame seeds, korean hot pepper flakes (or you can do without), soy sauce, lots of chopped green onions, and crushed garlic (important!) then you mix it all up. :)

4 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat May 27, 2011 at 2:06 pm

The smoothie looks heavenly! I have a spring/summer salad I like to make with spinach that includes strawberries, cucumber, almonds, and a fruity vinaigrette. Simple, but SO good!

5 michelle May 27, 2011 at 2:08 pm

I just finished my marathon training plan and it took me a long time. I can only imagine how long your plan took

6 Dani May 27, 2011 at 2:13 pm

I put spinach in EVERYTHING. Anything I make for dinner–gets served on a bed of spinach. Sandwich? Spinach. Smoothie? Spinach. I go through it faster than I can buy it!

7 Emily @ Savory and Savage May 27, 2011 at 2:13 pm

My favorite spinach side dish is spinach wilted over high heat in skillet with tons of chopped garlic – then drizzled with really good olive oil. Yum!

Congrats on starting the weight program. Once you start to feel ‘the pump’ on a regular basis you will be hooked.

8 Jenny @ Fitness Health and Food May 27, 2011 at 2:16 pm

ohh great workout! :)

We are the same way with spinach as my husband likes it but I prefer crunchier greens. I do like sauteeing spinach with a little olive oil garlic salt pepper and raisins! :)

9 Jamie May 27, 2011 at 2:21 pm

I like to saute it with tomatoes, onions, olive oil and garlic. Then stir in a little bit of feta. I will eat this mixture on the side or mixed with brown rice for a quick meal.

10 Tessa @ Amazing Asset May 27, 2011 at 2:32 pm

Nice workout Meghann!
I like to saute spinach with lemon juice, olive oil and white beans! Very light and satisfying

11 Hope May 27, 2011 at 2:34 pm

I love spinach! :) I usually just saute it with cooking spray, salt, pepper, and some garlic. It tastes yummy :)

12 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife May 27, 2011 at 2:42 pm

mmmm I love frozen mangoes in smoothies. SO good!

I always throw spinach into enchiladas….it is really good with the cheese :)

13 Ashley May 27, 2011 at 2:43 pm

Sauté spinach, garlic, and extra firm/high protein tofu in a small amount of curry powder, ginger and coconut oil for a vegan Saag Paneer. Delish! You can use a ginorm amount of spinach and it will cook down like crazy– keep adding as it cooks down if you want to use a lot up. :)

14 Chloe (South Beach Girl) May 27, 2011 at 3:10 pm

I really only like spinach cooked so I like to throw a whole bag in a pan with some garlic and olive oil and cook it up to use as a bed of greens for chicken or fish!

15 Amy May 27, 2011 at 3:13 pm

Always always add spinach to your smoothies!

16 Christine @ Burning It Off May 27, 2011 at 3:20 pm

Good job on getting started with the free weights! I started the NROL4W program four weeks ago (actually I think it was a post you wrote awhile ago about starting a free weights program that inspired me to do the same) but I’m only doing two of the workouts per week and substituting a Body Pump class for the third one; so I still have another 4 weeks to go before I get to Stage 2.

To be honest, I find Stage 1 fairly easy, even though I’ve been adding weight every week, but I’ve heard it gets a lot harder… I think Stage 1 is more about laying down the foundation before you advance to the higher reps/sets/weights. I’m definitely getting stronger though… when I started, I could barely lift the Olympic bar out of the rack and now I can carry it around the gym with relative ease. I’m also a lot more comfortable in the free weights area of the gym, so that’s another bonus!

17 Courtney @ The Granola Chronicles May 27, 2011 at 3:28 pm

Plain Chobani and frozen mango almost always make it into my smoothies!

18 amanda May 27, 2011 at 3:29 pm

great workout!! you’re inspiring me to really lift again!

i really like spinach in my smoothies, and just steamed in the microwave. i throw some hot sauce on it and i’m good to go. ahh student food. it’s also heavenly in indian curries.

19 Michelle May 27, 2011 at 3:35 pm

A good spinach appetizer/side dish is spanakopita or spinach pie. It’s pretty simple – phyllo (found in the freezer section), cheese (goat, feta, cottage cheese — whatever is calling your name), and spinach. You can probably make a healthier version too!

20 Nicky May 27, 2011 at 3:44 pm

Ahh I am in love with frozen mango at the moment! I am exactly the same at the moment with spinach, it always seems to be leftover! I keep trying to add it to everything at the moment though – lentil curries, chickpea stews, I just throw it in! I think it’s particularly nice with indian flavors, a nice little side dish is called a saag aloo which is just spinach with garlic and potatoes. Really tasty!

21 Amy May 27, 2011 at 3:53 pm

Meghann, does Xanthum gum have a taste? Do you add it to help it thicken up your smoothies?

22 Julie (A Case of the Runs) May 27, 2011 at 4:44 pm

Spinach + cheese + marinara = mmmmmmmmmm

23 Alaina May 27, 2011 at 4:51 pm

My sister in law made a sauteed spinach with cheese and garlic. It was so good!

24 Liv @ The Salty n' Sweet May 27, 2011 at 5:06 pm

I always think of spinach as a cooked dish, not a salad base! I love cooking spinach with some Craisins :)

Spin is definitely a butt-kicking workout. Nothing ever gets me sweating the way spin does!

25 Kate (What Kate is Cooking) May 27, 2011 at 5:11 pm

I never eat spinach on the side- I use it instead of lettuce. I hate lettuce, so I end up eating a ton of spinach!

26 Courtney May 27, 2011 at 6:40 pm

This is probably a totally random comment from a solid lurker of your blog, but I do a lot of lifting, and have been for a while, usually 5-6 days a week, and while my splits are different from yours, I saw you mentioned how hungry you were after your total workout.

I lift pretty heavy, usually for about an hour, always before cardio, and don’t know if you were potentially thinking about some kind of smallish protein snack between your weights and cardio. Just like if you are going for a long run, you tend to fuel before plowing into the second hour. I would consider doing the same with your new training plan, and making that in between supplement a protein one.

The protein will help protect your muscles when you hit the bike or trail or treadmill because cardio, in its simplest form, wants to burn off fat, but can mistake muscle for fat. Something like whey, which is low in sugar and carbs, but high in protein, will not only fuel you, but save your muscles from being used as fuel during cardio instead of sugar and fat.

Not that I mean to imply you need to pound a shake everytime you work out, but as you progress and lift heavier, it might be something to consider. Though, I hope I didn’t sound terribly mean or preachy up there, I just hate to see someone not see the results they work so hard to get.

Anyway, have a swell holiday weekend!

27 Sarah May 27, 2011 at 6:45 pm

No good spinach side recipes.. but I think I’m gonna make your hummus tomorrow! It looks so good and easy!

28 Lacey @ Lake Life May 28, 2011 at 2:35 pm

Butternut squash (or cubed sweet potatoes), spinach and craisins make a delish side dish!