Back to the Track

by Meghann on May 26, 2011

I had my booty handed to me tonight… in a good way.

(Yeah, I know the bike is STILL in the car. I really need to do something about that).

Tonight I met the T3 – Tampa Tri Team at a local middle school for my first track work out of 2011. I have a love/hate relationship with the track… I LOVE how I feel once I’m done and the results I see in my time, but I sure do hate it when I’m actually doing it.

This was my first time joining up with the T3 team and I was super nervous walking up to the group, but I really had no need to be. Everyone was super welcoming and very friendly. They instantly made me feel like I was a regular.

Each week the team leader of the week designs a certain track workout for the group and everyone executes it at their own pace. Luckily the range of paces in the group varies, so each person had a running buddy if they wanted one.

Today’s workout was simple, but challenging.

• 400 Warm Up
  • 6 x 800 @ 10k Pace w/ 2 min rests
  • 400 Cool Down

One problem. I haven’t raced a 10k since October of 2010 and I definitely couldn’t keep that sub-51 pace now! Not sure what to set my pace at, I decided just to go for it and see where I landed.

I found a group of girls to start with and ended up keeping up with the girl who was holding 7:45 min/miles. The first lap felt pretty good. The second? Not so good. I started to cramp and it occurred to m just how much I’m out of running shape. I mean, I can run, I just can’t go fast anymore. It felt good to push it again, but it hurt, oh lord it hurt.

By the 3rd set of 800s I wanted to puke. The girl I started with became my rabbit and I was determined to stick with her. It was great having her there to keep up with, having a buddy to push myself with was worth coming to the track. Without the group I could have talked myself out of the final three, but having them there meant that was not an option.

I finished a little slower than I started, but I finished!

Final numbers (per 800):

• 3:51
  • 3:37
  • 3:51
  • 3:50
  • 4:02
  • 3:58

Avg pace: 7:43

Not Bad. Not bad. πŸ™‚

Before the track I spent the afternoon in Starbucks drinking iced coffee with soy milk and getting work done.

I made one of Tina’s 3-Minute Cookies and brought it to nibble on as a pre-track snack.

The Peanut Butter Cookie/ Cake was delicious. It was fluffy, sweet, and extra nutty. I think it was missing some sort of mix-in though. Chocolate Chips? Raisin? Chopped Dates?

I came home tonight with really bad cramps and no appetite. Eventually I began to feel light headed and knew I had to eat something. Feeling weak and cranky I headed to the freezer for reinforcements.

Amy’s burritos are great go-to meal options when you’re in a pinch. Just a minute and a half in the microwave and dinner is served.

With Apple Slices and Grapes

For dessert I had the most amazing cookie thanks to the people at Foodbuzz and Foodzie.

Foodzie is an online food community where vendors can sell their food products (kind of like Etsy). I received a goodie box earlier this week and right on top were these amazing shortbread cookies from Sabores del Sur.

Wow. The shortbread was very buttery and crumbled in my mouth just like any good shortbread cookie should do. The filling was light and fluffy and only enhanced the delicious buttery flavor of the shortbread cookie rather than overpowering it. Love. πŸ™‚

It’s been a weird day.

I had a not so fun encounter with the scale this afternoon (wrote a post about it, but not sure I want to publish) only to discover I was due for my monthly visitor (or in my case the when ever she feels like randomly dropping in visitor) complete with painful cramps and pms attitude.

I need a mug of tea, a bed, and a good book.

Good Night!

1 Amy May 26, 2011 at 10:29 pm

No, no, you need a glass of cabernet. You ROCKED that track workout! Way to go. Now pour yourself a glass and breathe deep. πŸ™‚

2 Meghann May 26, 2011 at 10:37 pm

If only i wasn’t too tired to drive to the store, otherwise I would be rocking a glass of cabernet

3 Jenny @ Fitness Health and Food May 26, 2011 at 10:30 pm

awesome job with the track workout, that pace is awesome!

I need to get one of those AMy’s burritos in my life mm mmm πŸ™‚

4 Liv @ The Salty n' Sweet May 26, 2011 at 10:34 pm

Track workouts have always seemed so daunting! I’ve never done one before, so I think I’d need other people with me to push me along. I’m in love with treadmill speed workouts, but do you think that track speed workouts are better??

I hope your cramps go away soon, and I’m sure some rest and something warm near the cramp will help!

I haven’t been on a scale in 6 months, and I like it this way πŸ˜‰ Needless to say, I’m a little scared of that number monster! I know I’m more than that number, and I know you are too πŸ˜€
Liv @ The Salty n’ Sweet recently posted..Shopping and Other Impossible Pursuits

5 Meghann May 26, 2011 at 10:36 pm

Track workouts are 10 times mores challenging than treadmill speed workouts. I like them better for that reason, however when I’m actually running them – not such a fan. It helps to do them with a group pushing you along the way!

6 Lindsay @ Run Lindsay Run May 26, 2011 at 10:35 pm

Awesome workout! The hardest part of track workouts, for me, is getting the courage to do them! Even if you’re in top marathon shape, getting that speed and turnover in your legs is so hard! I just returned to the track this week too and got whooped…

I’d actually love to read your scale post! Love reading others honest accounts on issues like weight and scales that just about everyone struggles with. Hope you choose to publish!

7 Mary May 26, 2011 at 10:36 pm

Just remember…the scale is just a number. It has no bearing on your worth as a person, your abilities as an athlete, etc.
Mary recently posted..Gimme More!

8 Fit Chick Britt May 26, 2011 at 10:37 pm

I just did my first track workout since last year too! Also, I love that Amy’s wrap. Enjoy your tea, bed, and book. πŸ™‚
Fit Chick Britt recently posted..Workout Wednesday- Track Speed Intervals

9 Whitney May 26, 2011 at 10:38 pm

I think you should publish the post. I think anyone, myself included, having been through a weight loss journey can relate to the fear or anxiety about the scale. I’ve been struggling with this topic for awhile.
Whitney recently posted..A Wednesday

10 kirsten May 26, 2011 at 10:42 pm

I hear you about a bad run in with the scale, I’m sure we’ve all had those. You look great though and are obviously in good shape if you can do a track workout like that! So don’t worry about what the scale says! πŸ™‚

11 Kaitlin May 26, 2011 at 10:44 pm

awesome job on the track!! That peanut butter delight looks great πŸ™‚
Kaitlin recently posted..Final Marathon Preparations

12 Amy May 26, 2011 at 10:52 pm

I also would love for you to publish the scale post. I had my own run in with it this week. Somehow I put on close to ten pounds. I’m ok with it though. I know that getting back to a healthier lifestyle feels good and that the scale only helps keep things in check. It’s nice to know I’m not alone.

13 Holly @ The Runny Egg May 26, 2011 at 11:05 pm

Awesome job at the track!

Sorry about the cramps — that is no fun!
Holly @ The Runny Egg recently posted..Tomato Face

14 Aron May 26, 2011 at 11:05 pm

The first track workout back is always the hardest!! AND meeting with a new group is scary too, but you did great and sounds like you found a great group to run with! I think track workouts with people are the best way to go πŸ™‚
Aron recently posted..Wednesday Woofs

15 Kate (What Kate is Cooking) May 26, 2011 at 11:24 pm

My monthly visitor seems to come and go as she pleases, too- not very fun!
Kate (What Kate is Cooking) recently posted..Eat Your Beer

16 Katie - kinda bananas.com May 26, 2011 at 11:25 pm

Please post the scale post! I’m guessing you’re having the same issue I am…..it’s not at a number I want it to be! I had a 2 week vacation and gained 3 lbs during that time, and the number on the scale is really downing me, even though I know it “doesn’t matter’. But I spent a week doing really well with eating and exercise, guess the scale would say I was about a pound down….and I had GAINED a pound. It was devestating! Which sounds so ridiculous, bc it’s a pound…..Ik am totally stressing about it, but I know I shouldn’t be!

17 Victoria May 26, 2011 at 11:49 pm

I would really like to see scale post, too. I definitely struggle with the numbers fluctuating on the scale more than I should. By the way, you look awesome, and please know that you are a huge inspiration for me and many other people. Thanks for such a wonderful blog!!! πŸ™‚

18 Kellie May 27, 2011 at 12:18 am

I was told your weight could go up by up to 5lbs right before your monthly visitor arrives. That could be it.

19 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife May 27, 2011 at 12:43 am

The scale number means NADA! Don’t believe that crap about numbers telling you your worth! Besides, you just ROCKED the track, and being fit is WAY more important than a digital number or store number πŸ˜‰

I feel strongly about this! ha! But you are also in a moment of the month where everything seems kinda out of whack, so don’t let it get you down! Sleep tight!

20 Stefanie @TheNewHealthy May 27, 2011 at 1:15 am

I think the fact that you rocked your track work out should erase any not so fun scale encounters. πŸ™‚

21 Anne May 27, 2011 at 5:01 am

Is it possible that the scale incident is due to having a more regular period now?

22 Bec May 27, 2011 at 5:04 am

Please don’t let the number on the scale get you down. From the photographs you post on your blog you look great and since leaving your job,moving in with Derek and not training so much you have seemed so much happier.

23 Jumanah @ Healthy Living in the Middle East May 27, 2011 at 6:41 am

You are super fast! Good job!
Dont worry about the scale! It means nothing! You are in super great shape and thats all that matters!

24 Hope May 27, 2011 at 7:50 am

Great workout! πŸ™‚ I’ve never tried Amy’s burritos but I might have to after seeing your dinner! It looks really good! πŸ™‚

Don’t let the scale ruin things for you, Meghann. You are such a beautiful person. πŸ™‚ Don’t live your life by a number. I know it’s easier said than done but look at everything that is positive in your life. πŸ™‚
Hope recently posted..The Phillies &amp The Cadillac Culinary Challenge…

25 Lauren May 27, 2011 at 8:07 am

What a workout!!! You go girl.

And PS- Get your butt off that scale and just look at how hot you are! πŸ™‚ That number means absolutely NOTHING! πŸ™‚
Lauren recently posted..Well That Was Awkward

26 Katherine May 27, 2011 at 8:53 am

I would love to read your scale post, but I understand why you wouldn’t want to publish it. There are some readers out there on the prowl, and they seem to jump at any chance to attacks you guys (you guys=honest bloggers). It must be frustrating at times to toe the line between honest/open and too vulnerable.
Whatever you choose, I support you!

27 Ashley May 27, 2011 at 9:08 am

Congrats on the track workout! You rock!

And don’t worry about the scale. It’s just a number and it only reflects one thing. It’s one rather unimportant thing too. That said, I wouldn’t hesitate to publish your post about it. We’ve all been there and can certainly empathize with you.

28 Kaitlyn @ 7 Plates May 27, 2011 at 9:50 am

That cookie looks so good. I think I’m going to try and sign up with Foodbuzz soon! πŸ™‚ Are you liking it?
Kaitlyn @ 7 Plates recently posted..Broccoli Cheddar Soup

29 Rae May 27, 2011 at 10:26 am

Great job on the track workout πŸ˜€ I feel the opposite about treadmill speed, though-it actually pushes me harder because i HAVE to maintain a certain speed for 400s or 800s.

Looking forward to reading the scale post, but I understand if you dont post-I give you kudos for admitting your vulnerability with the scale (I wish I could thorw mine out :-p) Just a thought…is it possible that your lifting weights has just made you so jacked that its all muscle ? Thats what Id go with πŸ˜€
Rae recently posted..Men at Work

30 Meghann May 27, 2011 at 10:30 am

I find the track mentally challenging over the treadmill. And the thought about muscles crossed my mind too, but it’s more than the scale and those are the details I didn’t go into.