more ยป" />

St. Petersburg Orginials/ Tampa Transplants

by Meghann on May 25, 2011

Oh, Callie.

Don’t you know it’s not very nice to kid like that!?!?!

Screen shot 2011-05-25 at 2.26.27 PM.png

Not funny.

Luckily there was no water breaking (though there was a random contraction) during mine and Callie’s lunch date today. Callie began maternity leave this week and has been literally twiddling her thumbs waiting for the baby arrives (which can happen any minute!). I was hoping that meeting for lunch would a good distraction to get her out of the house and her mind off off water breaking scenarios. ๐Ÿ™‚

I’m going to call our lunch outing a tour of St. Petersburg originals that are making their way to Tampa. You see, there’s a saying out there that people in St. Pete hate to cross the bridge into Tampa and Tampa people hate to cross the bridge into St. Pete. Out of that a new trend has emerged where successful businesses on one side of the bridge have started opening up two locations – one in St. Pete and one in Tampa – to appease both parties.

It’s a funny trend we both didn’t realize until today when all the places we saw had two locations that we were each familiar with on our side of the bridge. Hey, what ever works!

Let’s take Burrito Boarder for instance.

A cute, local build-you-own burrito place with good food, good attitude, and good people behind it.

We ate at the original Dowtown St. Petersburg location and they’re just about to open a new one in Tampa off Dale Mabry. Imagine that?

I ordered the Chicken Burrito Salad Bowl, which was both gigantic and glorious at the same time.

It had lettuce, rice, black beans, corn & black bean salsa, mango salsa, cilantro, cheese and chips.

During lunch we both discussed how we’ve seen the light and are never going back to Chipotle again. Burrito Boarder had more options and just tasted better. (#Confession I’m not a huge fan of Chipotle anyways so it doesn’t take much to sway me away. I still don’t understand why it’s so popular, but that’s another argument for another day..)

(another confession: I really just wanted to eat the chips. mad chip cravings lately)

During lunch Callie mentioned a cupcake place down the road she wanted to check out.

Who am I to keep a pregnant lady from cupcakes?!?

The Cupcake Spot is another St. Pete original who recently opened up a new location off of MacDill in Tampa. I’ve been inside the MacDill location before, but this was my first time in the original downtown St. Pete location.

We decided on the ‘Buckeye’ and ‘Butterscotch Baby’ cupcakes to share.

The cupcakes were both very moist and the icing was very rich. I think my favorite was the Buckeye cupcake, I could have just ate the peanut butter icing off of that one and been at peace. ๐Ÿ™‚

After I said my goodbyes to Callie (the next time I see her she will officially be a MOM!!) I headed to my last stop on the St. Pete/ Tampa Transfer tour – Hooker Tea Co.

I’ve been to the Downtown Tampa Hooker Tea Co location (and loved it!), but it was fun to check out the original St. Pete location.

This location is right across from the water and makes for a beautiful view when sitting by the window.

Beautiful!

I’m sipping on one of the recommended fruity iced teas, but should have known better when she suggested adding honey. I feel like I can be talked into anything sometimes.

IMG_6824.jpg

Time to get some work done! ๐Ÿ™‚

1 Shanna, Like Banana May 25, 2011 at 3:08 pm

1) I’m not a fan of Chipotle either…it’s so “meh”
2) That is one fantastitic looking burrito bowl
3) Butterscotch cupcake? I die!

2 RunEatRepeat May 25, 2011 at 3:09 pm

Figures you would go to a place called Hooker Tea Co ๐Ÿ˜‰
RunEatRepeat recently posted..Rant- Run and Move On

3 Katy (The Singing Runner) May 25, 2011 at 3:11 pm

Those cupcakes look AMAZING!!!! Yummy!!!! I need to bookmark that cupcake shop for the next time I am in the Tampa/ St. Pete area!
Katy (The Singing Runner) recently posted..Q&38A- You Asked!

4 Caroline May 25, 2011 at 3:12 pm

It’s sooo true that those of us from St. Pete hate to cross the bridge up to Tampa! I know it isn’t much of a drive, but it can be such a pain sometimes. I wish we could get Daily Eats, The Lime, and the rest of the South Howard strip down here somehow, but we do have a Cicco’s, so that’s something I guess! I’m still jealous that Tampa has International Plaza, but I still think St. Pete wins ๐Ÿ˜‰
Caroline recently posted..Oval Beach

5 Jamie aka "Sometimes Healthy" Girl May 25, 2011 at 3:23 pm

I live in a city full of amazing cupcakes, but those looked over the top! My mouth is watering right now!
Jamie aka “Sometimes Healthy” Girl recently posted..When You Fall Off that Horse- you Gottaโ€ฆRide a Pony

6 Krissy @ Shiawase Life May 25, 2011 at 3:25 pm

I really love Chipotle, but I think the reasoning is multi-layered:

1. When you eat there, you know you are eating ‘real’ food – especially here in Cville, there is a sign that tells you what farm the pork came from, etc.
2. It’s a consistent product. I do admit, I have had some burrito bowls that rival my Chipotle experience, but if I am hungry in a place I have never been before, I know that Chipotle will not disappoint.
3. It’s inexpensive for the quality of ingredients.
4. The iPhone app! Amazing. Place your order, pick up, no line.

This is DEFINITELY not to say that Chipotle is perfect, as there are many issues as well…including:
1. The line is SOOO long. ALLLLL the time.
2. Sometimes you have to shout your order because it’s so loud and busy.
3. Steve Ells is weird.

=)

7 Meghann May 25, 2011 at 3:29 pm

Those are all the reasons why I want to like them, but the actual menu is very limiting <- I think that's what gets me. I love vegetables, fun salsas, free chips, etc. not two or three choices and that's it. Plus I've never ate anything there where I have been 'Man! That's good'

8 Krissy @ Shiawase Life May 25, 2011 at 3:31 pm

Def agree with the small amount of choices, but I just could imagine the chaos (and longer line!) if there were any more choices than there are, LOL!

I always get the same thing, so maybe that’s why I love it =)
Krissy @ Shiawase Life recently posted..Lifeโ€™s important issues

9 Kelly @foodiefresh May 25, 2011 at 3:25 pm

When I first met my husband, he lived just before you get to the bridge to cross over to St. Petes. We actually crossed over all the time, but we were super close to the bridge and I guess not being locals, we didn’t hate it so much. Those cupcakes look amazing! ๐Ÿ™‚
Kelly @foodiefresh recently posted..Whatโ€™s up buttercup

10 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife May 25, 2011 at 3:28 pm

Oh your massive lunch bowl looks SO good. Holy yum! I also really want that butterscotch cupcake, I LOVE butterscotch.

looks like it was a fun date!!

11 Courtney W May 25, 2011 at 3:34 pm

Burrito Bowl looks really good! Next you’ll have to try NOLA cafe http://www.nolacafe.com/…it’s right by Hooker Tea & Co in St. Pete. They also have a location in Tampa. Delicious authentic New Orleans food. For dessert try the beignets (light fluffy doughnut topped with powdered sugar)!
Courtney W recently posted..Florida Half-Ironman

12 Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun May 25, 2011 at 3:42 pm

I wish that cupcake place was in Orlando. I’m always down for cupcakes. We may just have to find a cupcake place for our meetup. Although it is so rare to find one with killer icing AND moist cake.

Looks like a super fun outing with Callie. So excited for her to have that baby!
Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun recently posted..Top Ten Things To Take Away From The Fitbloggin โ€˜11 Conference- Part One

13 Michelle May 25, 2011 at 4:17 pm

There are a bunch of cupcake places in Orlando – don’t worry!! I’m not sure where you’ll be if you’re on the East Side a) you have to let me know b/c that’s where I live ๐Ÿ˜‰ and b) there’s Sweet! (oh, and Sweet! also delivers)
Michelle recently posted..Confession Wednesday- Biggest Fear

14 kristy @ kristyruns.com May 25, 2011 at 3:51 pm

That’s the hooker tea company I go to when I’m in town

15 CindyD. May 25, 2011 at 4:02 pm

I LOVE that area of St. Pete! My husband’s grandmother lives down on 7th Ave, and it’s always a nice walk down to the Pier area and all the shops. The Cupcake Spot is yummy. When you are back in the area, hit the gelateria that’s there, can’t remember the name, but it’s delish! We’ll have to try Burrito Boarder next time we’re in town!

16 Holly @ The Runny Egg May 25, 2011 at 4:05 pm

I love Chipotle — mostly because every time I go, no matter which location I go to, I get the same great food. I’ve never had a bad experience there!
Holly @ The Runny Egg recently posted..Tomato Face

17 Michelle May 25, 2011 at 4:15 pm

Holy cow that’s a huge salad!

I like the idea of Chipotle. I could do with less butter in their rice (and more cilantro) and I don’t think their guacamole is that awesome – but I DO like that it’s fresh.
Michelle recently posted..Confession Wednesday- Biggest Fear

18 Lacey May 25, 2011 at 4:23 pm

Steve Ells is a prick!
Also, I once ate at Chiptole and there were bones in my chicken. Not sure why I thought their chicken was breast, it’s leg and thigh bleck.

19 Mac May 25, 2011 at 4:32 pm

I’m more of a fan of Burrachos and BA Burritos then Chipotle myself, do you have either of those down your way?
Mac recently posted..Grocery Planning

20 Alexa @ Simple Eats May 25, 2011 at 5:39 pm

That bowl looks amazing! I would take that over Chipotle any day. I bet it tastes so fresh!

21 Lisa (bakebikeblog) May 25, 2011 at 5:39 pm

what a lovely afternoon!
Lisa (bakebikeblog) recently posted..A Magical Moroccan Dinner Party

22 Kristen May 25, 2011 at 5:45 pm

Mmmm both thensalad and the cupcakes look really good. As someone who has never been to Chipotle (if they have any Canadian locations, there aren’t any in my city) I’m curious about it but if I had the choice between your pictured salad and chipotle, I’d take the first choice ๐Ÿ™‚
Kristen recently posted..ryders eyewear- a review and giveaway

23 Stephanie @ StephSnacks May 25, 2011 at 6:53 pm

Whoa looks like you had a great lunch break! And if we’re being honest, Chipotle isn’t my fave either.
Stephanie @ StephSnacks recently posted..Homegirl Had a Bad Day

24 Breanna May 25, 2011 at 7:06 pm

I could go for one of those cupcakes right now, mmmmm!
Breanna recently posted..My Gear

25 Alaina May 25, 2011 at 7:17 pm

We have a burrito place in Boston called Boloco and I love it. Definitely better than Chipotle.

I need to explore my city like you do. You look to have so much fun. If I ever go visit my grandfather in Bradenton, I’m making a stop. ๐Ÿ˜‰
Alaina recently posted..BPL &amp Stoddardโ€™s Fine Food &amp Ale

26 Allyson May 25, 2011 at 7:45 pm

I can’t stand chiptole either, we always eat there for lunch when I am in dc for. Ugh!

27 Amy @ Love4Living May 25, 2011 at 7:48 pm

Oh wow, what a view you had during your work time! And I have never tried a burrito.. maybe its time to change that.
Amy @ Love4Living recently posted..Wednesday Weigh In- Counting

28 Sophia May 25, 2011 at 7:53 pm

I agree with you 100% about Chipotle! I can’t STAND it and I’ve never understood why so many people like it!

29 Lauren May 25, 2011 at 8:13 pm

AWww, Callie is so cute! That would have been an insane story if her water would have broken over burritos though. They do say spicy food sparks the labor process though. ๐Ÿ˜‰ When my friend was very pregnant, we went out for Thai and that night, she went into laborโ€ฆ..I guess you’ll find out soon! ๐Ÿ™‚
Lauren recently posted..Well That Was Awkward

30 Rebekah May 25, 2011 at 8:19 pm

so this is my first time on your blog, and next time Im in Tampa (I live in Bradenton, but am from Tampa) im definitely going to the Cupcake Spot! I can’t believe I never knew about it, but I suppose thats probably a very good thing! LOL! Im glad Im here, and crossing the bridge is like traveling to another dimension! ๐Ÿ˜€

31 Courtney May 25, 2011 at 8:23 pm

Tijuana Flats, anyone? Yum!
Courtney recently posted..Fighting Fatigue

32 Jenny @ Fitness Health and Food May 25, 2011 at 9:01 pm

Burritos and cupcakes!

You do know how to make me jealous ๐Ÿ˜‰

I’m glad that her water didn’t break from the deliciousness! ๐Ÿ˜›

33 Liv @ The Salty n' Sweet May 25, 2011 at 9:58 pm

I’ve got to try the burrito boarder sometime, because I’m honestly one of those people who LOVES Chipotle. Their meats are tender, their salsas are amazing, and their guac can’t be missed. But I’m always on the search for something better.

Callie looks so happy and glowing ๐Ÿ™‚
Liv @ The Salty n’ Sweet recently posted..China Day 2- Forbidden City and Tiananmen Square

34 Jess-The SemiAbnormal Gal May 25, 2011 at 10:07 pm

So funny, you were next to two of my favorite places in St. Pete today (PS. I haven’t forgotten about the “list” for you) BB is right by the Independent, which is a fantastic beer bar, where I first fell in love with “craft” beer and Hooker Tea is next to my fave gelato place:Paciugo.
Jess-The SemiAbnormal Gal recently posted..Practice for Summer

35 Bec May 25, 2011 at 10:17 pm

Naturally/humanly raised animals that are hormone and antibiotic free for both their meats and dairy products, organic veggies, fair treatment of employees etc are all reasons I eat Chipotle. Its definitely not the best burrito place out there but for a fast food chain it hold much higher standards than most fast food chains and restaurants (Taco Bells beef is only 36% meat and I am sure that applies to other fast food chains as well!). Overall I think its important to try and choose restaurants that are either locally owned or animal/health/environmentally friendly.
Bec recently posted..An Even Better Use For Elvis Granola

36 Nicole of Raspberry Stethoscope May 25, 2011 at 10:33 pm

Really weird to see my city on your blog! ha
Nicole of Raspberry Stethoscope recently posted..Its not you- its me

37 Melissa @ TryingToHeal May 25, 2011 at 11:40 pm

hahaha…that would have been pretty funny if her water had broken. hehehe.
Melissa @ TryingToHeal recently posted..The Lessons I Learn

38 Alison @ The Peacock Diaries May 26, 2011 at 1:47 am

Ha – I thought that only happened in my area! I live in Brooklyn, and there are 2 popular neighborhoods about 5 subway stops away from each other — Cobble Hill and Park Slope. If one gets a great restaurant, bakery, shop, etc., then invariably a duplicate opens in the other neighborhood. I guess I understand that location is important when you want to have “regulars”, but it always struck me as a bit strange since they’re SO close.

Of course, then we have to argue about which is one is best… (Cobble Hill 4eva!)
Alison @ The Peacock Diaries recently posted..Business travel

39 Katherina @ Zephyr Runs May 26, 2011 at 2:15 am

I’ve only been to the St. Pete hooker tea co. and think it’s wonderful! Those cupcakes also look D E LICIOUS!!
Katherina @ Zephyr Runs recently posted..Another One Mile

40 Hope May 26, 2011 at 8:07 am

That burrito bowl looks amazing! It looks huge! So much bigger than Chipotle! It also looks a lot fresher! Yummy! ๐Ÿ™‚ Oh, and those cupcakes! Oh, my! They look heavenly! ๐Ÿ™‚ I love peanut butter icing!
Hope recently posted..The Phillies &amp The Cadillac Culinary Challengeโ€ฆ

41 Kelly May 26, 2011 at 8:58 am

I <3 Chipotle. ๐Ÿ™‚

It's a vegetarian's fast food best friend.
Kelly recently posted..1-000 yds

42 Meghann May 26, 2011 at 9:03 am

Really? I think their vegetarian option is my least favorite on the menu.

43 Kelly May 26, 2011 at 9:24 am

It’s a place that I know I can go to and get veg protein (beans). Rather than be stuck eating a salad and fries. There aren’t many veg friendly options for quick meals near me. I can’t even order the broc cheddar soup at panera because it has chicken broth in it. ๐Ÿ™
Kelly recently posted..1-000 yds

44 Katie May 26, 2011 at 5:33 pm

Yum! I have never heard of/been to a Burrito Boarder; wish there was one in Clearwater, because it looks delicious!
Katie recently posted..Another Pup Update

45 Nicole @ The Cupcake Spot May 26, 2011 at 5:41 pm

So glad you enjoyed the Cupcake Spot cuppies! Thanks for including us in the story – it’s our first time to your fabulous blog. On a tiny sidenote, the Tampa Cupcake Spot was first – on S. Dale Mabry. True, we moved locations to S. MacDill after the St. Pete location opened, but to be truthful, our T-town Cuppy was first. We love being a part of the St. Pete community though!