The Return of the Picky Eater

by Meghann on May 24, 2011

I’m thrill to see so many of you are enjoying The New Rules of Lifting for Women Book Review I posted this morning! I’m working on my follow up post RE: ‘The Plan’ that I hope to have up tomorrow or Thursday! I even took some beginning progress photos last night to go with it. πŸ˜‰ Stay tuned!

On the other end of the fitness spectrum, it was a running morning for me. I got up, laced up my shoes, and ran a solid 5 miles at my current easy pace.

I’ve started to setting my alarm earlier and earlier (so I have more time to get stuff done during the day!) It feels so good not to be as rushed in the morning. I have a feeling the deeper and deeper I get into training, the earlier the alarm is going to get. Honestly, I don’t mind it – I oddly miss waking up at 5:30 during the week.

Breakfast was a great bowl of oats

In the oat mix:

• 1/3 cup Rolled Oats
  • 1/3 cup Almond Milk
  • 1/3 cup Water
  • Chia Seeds
  • Chopped Dates
  • Cinnamon
  • Pinch of Salt

On top:

• Naturally Nutty Chocolate Toffee Peanut Butter
  • Apple
  • Kashi Go Lean Crisp

So good, but gone too fast!

Early workout = Early breakfast = Mid-Morning Snack

(The bag was from my Southwest flight this weekend. πŸ™‚ )

My cousin Jessica was in Tampa today for a Doctor’s appointment for her son. Last month when they were in own, I discovered just how picky her little boy could be when it comes to food (he turned his nose up at my pizza toast!), so this time when I invited them over for lunch I wanted to be prepared!

I started brainstorming ideas on what I could make with what I had on hand that he would eat.

I knew already that he didn’t like peanut butter or pizza toast, so those were instantly out. I have ground turkey I had planned on making meatballs with this week, maybe he’d eat that?

Me: Does Jason like meatballs?

Jessica: No but I can get him to eat them.

Dratz. That won’t do.

Me: Eggs?

Jessica: He loves eggs

Perfect. I can work from here.

Me: Egg sandwich?

Jessica: He will eat bread and he will eat eggs, but he doesn’t like sandwiches

Seriously? What kid doesn’t like sandwiches. Weirdo.

Blah… who am I to talk? When I was a kid I didn’t like spaghetti, mac&cheese, or pb&j. I guess I was weird too. I used to drive my parents crazy because I didn’t like anything on the kids menu and would insist on ordering off the (more $$) adult menu. What can I say? I had good taste. πŸ™‚

OK, back to to the kids. In the absence of making something everyone could enjoy, I took a cue from my parents and made Jason a completely separate boring meal. Problem solved. πŸ™‚

He got a plate of plain scrambled eggs and a piece of toast and ate every bite. Of course, he complained about the lack of butter (until I found a random bottle of squeeze butter in the fridge), my unsweet tea, and the need for more pepper, but I’ll count this as a win. πŸ™‚

While Jason had scrambled eggs, the rest of enjoyed egg salad sandwiches with sweet potato fries.

Jason – you have NO idea on what you were missing out on! Egg salad is da bomb!

Even Lexie agreed!

Egg salad:

• 6 Hard Boiled Eggs
  • Plain Greek Yogurt
  • Spicy Mustard
  • Tahini
  • S&P
  • Dill
  • Cherry Tomatoes

(and a few other random ingredients I threw in at the last minute because I thought they sounded good. ;))

With sweet potato fries and ketchup

The kids raided my cookie stash for dessert. πŸ™‚

I think they had fun. πŸ™‚

Feeding kids is stressful! Good thing I still have a few years until I have to worry about that.

1 Jenny @ Fitness Health and Food May 24, 2011 at 2:46 pm

those kids are so adorable!

How lucky they are to have some delicious sweet potato fries made for them.

Have a wonderful rest of your day! πŸ™‚

2 Hope May 24, 2011 at 2:49 pm

Aw! Those kids are so cute! So nice of you to prepare lunch for everyone! Egg salad is definitely one of my favorite salads. Yours looks so good! πŸ™‚
Hope recently posted..The Phillies &amp The Cadillac Culinary Challenge…

3 Freya May 24, 2011 at 2:50 pm

I bet if I’d been fed sweet potato fries as a nipper, I’d have jumped on the healthy living bandwagon much earlier :p
Freya recently posted..H is for…

4 Erica May 24, 2011 at 2:52 pm

I actually love getting up early too! Getting your workout in first thing is just perfect! The early AM body pump classes I teach are my favorite. The bowl of oats looks yummy-especially doe to the Chocolate Toffee Peanut Butter. Wow-doesn’t like sandwiches? I’m keeping my fingers crossed that my little peanut loves everything….hmmm wishful thinking! Hope you’re doing well!!

5 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat May 24, 2011 at 2:52 pm

Hehe I always make my egg salad with Greek yogurt too! I agree that kids can be difficult to cook for. I suppose mixed foods (as in any two foods that are touching each other on a plate) are a bit of an acquired taste for kids. I was always into mixing and mashing things up, but my sister had to have one of those plates with the separators in it for the longest time! Glad your eggs and toast wre a success! πŸ™‚
Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat recently posted..Shopaholics Anonymous

6 Chloe (South Beach Girl) May 24, 2011 at 2:56 pm

I definitely was picky about certain foods too – I think it was more of a texture thing for me but I grew out of a lot of them!

Those sweet potato fries look delicious!
Chloe (South Beach Girl) recently posted..Shopping!

7 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday May 24, 2011 at 2:57 pm

WTF is squeeze butter?

8 Sarah for Real May 24, 2011 at 6:12 pm

Haha you are so direct Samantha, that’s why I like you. I’ll answer because I used to eat it waaaay back in the day, like in the 1990’s.

Squeeze butter is the step-child of “I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter” brand margarine. It’s even softer than margarine so therefore, in squeeze form. It’s a meant-to-imitate-butter substance made primarily of vegetable oil. I’m not sure if it’s still made with partially hydrogenated oils.

I’ll not try to guess what its’ doing there, but I bet it’s not really a Meghann food.

9 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday May 24, 2011 at 7:53 pm

LOL! “step-child of I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter”

…I used to eat cheese whiz sandwiches so I can’t judge.

10 Holly @ The Runny Egg May 24, 2011 at 2:58 pm

The only foods I didn’t like as a kid were lima beans and peas. I never would have turned down pizza toast!
Holly @ The Runny Egg recently posted..Tomato Face

11 Dori May 24, 2011 at 3:02 pm

Your egg salad sounds so good!!! I wish I had the patience to make that.
Dori recently posted..Skechers Shape-ups for Girls- Body Image- Safety &amp Misleading Marketing

12 Halley (Blunder Construction) May 24, 2011 at 3:03 pm

Squeeze butter and someone who likes bread and eggs, but not sandwiches. So silly! I was picky about some things as a kid. I hated cheese!! Crazy, I know. And I can almost remember the day when I decided to hate maple syrup, must to my father’s chagrin. I still won’t eat it.
Halley (Blunder Construction) recently posted..Cheese Challenge

13 Courtney @ The Granola Chronicles May 24, 2011 at 3:04 pm

Looks like it was a success! I was SUCH a picky eater as a child, so I can’t hold it against Jason! πŸ™‚

14 Courtney May 24, 2011 at 3:05 pm

Haha, I didn’t start to eat veggies until I was 18! He’s got some years on him still.
Courtney recently posted..Crossfit Spinning

15 LauraJayne May 24, 2011 at 3:05 pm

Some kids are SO picky – my little brother still is (and he’s 18 now). I think I was mainly just averse to fruits and veggies, but ate everything else! I think your meal solution was perfect!
LauraJayne recently posted..Garmin Forerunner 210

16 erica May 24, 2011 at 3:07 pm

good job!!! it’s the simple things that can make a kid happy πŸ™‚

i loved everything on the kids menu! mac & cheese? yes please! pb&j? ok! chicken fingers? bring’ em over!!! BUT trying to get me to eat healthy food was another thing. for awhile i only would eat the stems of broccoli, then i decided, i hated the stems and would only eat the tops. i even tried to tell my preschool teacher that i was allergic to the stems. hahaha.

17 Ash @ Good Taste Healthy Me May 24, 2011 at 3:07 pm

I was a picky eater when I was realllly young. I would only eat Dinty Moore beef stew, microwave fries and mac and cheese. Can we say disgusting!?!?! Ugh!
Ash @ Good Taste Healthy Me recently posted..Sunshine!

18 Natalie @ Will Jog For Food May 24, 2011 at 3:10 pm

The kids are so cute! I was also a big time PB & J hater when I was little. I would only eat Jelly Sandwiches, and it had to have tons of Jelly. I would only eat strawberry preserves too, everything else was gross.
Natalie @ Will Jog For Food recently posted..Trapeze Fro-Yo Fun

19 Crystal May 24, 2011 at 3:29 pm

I think a lot of kids hate sandwiches. My toddler eats almost anything, but she has to pull sandwiches apart. If I make her one she takes the bread off and separates everything on her plate. Then she can eat it. She even tries to do that with pbj. I’ve seen her lick the jelly off the p b and then scrape the pb off the bread.

20 Jeni @ stepping out May 24, 2011 at 3:33 pm

I was very similar to that kid when I was young too. I hated sandwiches of any kind and it wasn’t until college that I started eating pb & j.
Jeni @ stepping out recently posted..Last Monday Ever

21 Julie (A Case of the Runs) May 24, 2011 at 3:51 pm

Well, to be fair, I’ve only recently been able to eat olives without gagging… lol.
Julie (A Case of the Runs) recently posted..Fargo Marathon

22 Christine May 24, 2011 at 4:30 pm

My niece doesn’t like cheese. Unless we call it something else. She’ll eat pizza with “mozzarella” on it, but not with “cheese.”

23 Kate (What Kate is Cooking) May 24, 2011 at 4:40 pm

Kids are SO picky! I shouldn’t talk… I was a picky kid too!
Kate (What Kate is Cooking) recently posted..Eat Your Beer

24 Julie @ Wearing Mascara May 24, 2011 at 4:45 pm

Those kiddos are adorable! Glad he was able to eat something this time!

25 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife May 24, 2011 at 4:48 pm

hahah. Yep, kiddos are SOO picky! I was too, so I guess I am in for a treat later on down the road πŸ˜‰

26 SheFit May 24, 2011 at 6:27 pm

Awh, these kids are so cute. Glad you found something he could eat. It’s like cooking for my husband. . . he has yet to grow out of picky stage and he is 30 years old, lol.
SheFit recently posted..Green Monster Bread Recipe

27 Alaina May 24, 2011 at 6:31 pm

That is one picky kid! Glad you were able to get him to eat. πŸ™‚ He looks happy!
Alaina recently posted..BPL &amp Stoddard’s Fine Food &amp Ale

28 Christine May 24, 2011 at 7:08 pm

I’m a super picky eater as an adult (I make do, though, and never expect people to change what they cook or where we go out to), but I wasn’t allowed to be as a kid. I came from the “you try everything and you eat what you take” school of thought (side note- my mom does rock, though). I’d be interested in some long-term eating studies to see how environment and parental food attitudes play in the food behaviors we display as adults.
Christine recently posted..So Youre Going to Be Reading By the Water- Eh

29 Michelle May 24, 2011 at 8:47 pm

Honestly – you are SO sweet to make food for them!!

I usually bring food from home for my kids if I know we are going to a childfree location (I know it can be taxing!). My son (almost 5) is SUPER picky and there’s no rhyme or reason. Somedays he LOVES something and other days it’s the end of the world if he has to eat it. My daughter is a vacuum though and eats everything. I honestly think it has to do with texture more than anything else (as I gave my kids the same food/at the same age/stage). I don’t cater to my kids, but I don’t push it either. They’ll come along and eat when they are hungry (it’s WAY less stressful that way!).
Michelle recently posted..Part Hulk

30 Jessica @ Sushi & Sit-Ups May 24, 2011 at 10:17 pm

Oh my goodness-I feel like my boyfriend is just as picky and he’s 29! I count every time he tries something new as a victory.
Jessica @ Sushi & Sit-Ups recently posted..Thai Singha

31 Amy @ love4living May 25, 2011 at 11:22 am

Wow, he really is a picky eater lol. Must be hard having a child that is more choosy about food than the other kids. My neice only eats chicken nuggets. Like, really, WILL NOT eat anything else and just recently had to see her doctor. But she is adorable =)
Amy @ love4living recently posted..Some things and DudeWTF Part 1

32 Lara May 26, 2011 at 6:46 pm

Ah ha! You’ve just solved a riddle for me! I’m trying to cut out Mayo & Miracle whip, but couldn’t figure out what to put in my beloved egg salad sandwiches! Greek Yogurt. Genius.