Meatball Subs

by Meghann on May 24, 2011

Oh, man. Dinner tonight was GOOD.

It started with this.

And ended like this.

Let me explain. 🙂

Turkey Meatballs were on my mind this evening for dinner. I LOVE meatball subs and, since I had some buns to use up, I knew this was exactly what I wanted.

Originally I was leaning towards the traditional sausage seasonings (fennel and sage) for the meatballs, but when I discovered the packet of Lay’s Tostito Dip Creations (a FoodBuzz freebie), I rerouted those plans.

The onion based seasoning packet was added to the ground turkey, as well as a couple of tablespoons of tomato paste, ground flax seed, and worsteshire sauce.

Rolled into meatballs and added to the stovetop with some sliced onion.

I had 1/2 a jar of pasta sauce left, which wasn’t enough to cover the meatballs, so I improvised. I added a can of diced tomatoes to the empty pasta jar, as well as the rest of the can of tomato paste. A little shake, shake to make sure everything was combined and a solution to the problem was born. Worked like a charm. 😉

Everything cooked on medium on the stovetop (covered) for 30 minutes and the results were perfect, moist meatballs.

I halved two of the meatballs to fit nicely in my bun and topped it with extra sauce and a sprinkle of parmesan cheese.

So. Good. The meatballs were moist, flavorful and exactly what I was craving. Yum. Yum. Yum.

Side of roasted broccoli to finish the plate off.

And Ice Cream with granola for dessert. 🙂

Earlier this evening I attended a much needed yoga class. The Prana Flow practice was a little different than the previous Prana Flow I’ve tried, but it was still a great stretch for my body. Before class I had a (unpictured) Clif Bar.

Meals and Miles the Show

The latest episode of Meals and Miles is up on iZonOrlando.com!

Screen shot 2011-05-24 at 8.32.25 PM.png

CLICK HERE for a look at the Aerial Silk class Kelly, Katy, and I took at Orlando Aerial Arts last week! (The class that left my arms aching for days! Ow!)

1 River May 24, 2011 at 10:00 pm

Yummm, that dinner looks so good! Good work on improvising.
River recently posted..Beauty Review – Artiste Professional Blush Brush

2 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife May 24, 2011 at 10:05 pm

Nice job on the dinner. That looks really good! You recipes are always quick, easy, and delicious looking 🙂

3 Holly @ The Runny Egg May 24, 2011 at 10:09 pm

Those meatballs look delicious!
Holly @ The Runny Egg recently posted..Tomato Face

4 michelle May 24, 2011 at 10:18 pm

Oh wow I am so making this for dinner over the weekend

5 Jenny @ Fitness Health and Food May 24, 2011 at 10:34 pm

you’re so clever with the seasoning packets! I have really got to get on the flavor train to meatball town 😛 heheh

6 Chloe (South Beach Girl) May 24, 2011 at 10:46 pm

That dinner looks delicious! I also love meatball subs but for some reason have never gotten around to making them. Yum!
Chloe (South Beach Girl) recently posted..Shopping!

7 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday May 24, 2011 at 10:57 pm
8 Jessica @ The Process of Healing May 24, 2011 at 10:59 pm

Holy YUM! How I’ve never had meatball subs is beyond me..
Jessica @ The Process of Healing recently posted..Oh Boys… Guest Post

9 Emily @ Savory and Savage May 24, 2011 at 11:18 pm

Meatball subs are the best!
Emily @ Savory and Savage recently posted..Letting things go

10 Tori (Fresh Fruition) May 24, 2011 at 11:39 pm

Granola and ice cream, yum! That looks so good. I want some chocolate right about now 🙂
Tori (Fresh Fruition) recently posted..A Weekend of Firsts

11 Jamie Sometimes Healthy Girl May 24, 2011 at 11:58 pm

OMG that looks like heaven on a bun! So smart to put the dip seasoning in!
Jamie Sometimes Healthy Girl recently posted..When You Fall Off that Horse- you Gotta…Ride a Pony A Sometimes Healthy Tale

12 Alaina May 24, 2011 at 11:59 pm

Ok, now those pictures are making me crave a meatball sub! That looks so good!
Alaina recently posted..BPL &amp Stoddard’s Fine Food &amp Ale

13 Lisa (bakebikeblog) May 25, 2011 at 12:24 am

How tasty indeed!
Lisa (bakebikeblog) recently posted..A Magical Moroccan Dinner Party

14 Kate (What Kate is Cooking) May 25, 2011 at 12:27 am

I used to love meatball subs in my pre-veggie days 🙂
Kate (What Kate is Cooking) recently posted..Eat Your Beer

15 Kaitlyn @ 7 Plates May 25, 2011 at 1:11 am

Good looking dinner. I love good and SIMPLE recipes 🙂
Kaitlyn @ 7 Plates recently posted..Broccoli Cheddar Soup

16 Hats @ See How She Runs May 25, 2011 at 5:28 am

I am very tempted to make vege meat ball subs for dinner tonight!

(ps – it’s Worcestershire sauce :P. Most people in the UK use Lea & Perrins, which has anchovies in it. If any vegans are looking for a substitute, try Henderson’s Relish.)
Hats @ See How She Runs recently posted..Wednesday Is The New Monday

17 Jumanah (Healthy Living in the Middle East) May 25, 2011 at 6:08 am

I havent had a meatball sub in years! Definately craving one now! Yours look totally delicious!
Jumanah (Healthy Living in the Middle East) recently posted..Watermelon

18 amanda May 25, 2011 at 7:00 am

ohh, those little dip creations packet look interesting!

meatball subs totally hit the spot sometimes. and yours look nothing but tasty.
amanda recently posted..what my weekend consisted of

19 Brittney May 25, 2011 at 8:04 am

Yum! I don’t have them that often, but every now and then a meatball sub is awesome. That looks like a winner 🙂

20 Hope May 25, 2011 at 8:15 am

Those meatballs look so good! I love how you improvised on the spot and came out with something delicious! Sometimes those are the best meals! Delicious! 🙂 I want to try those dip packets!
Hope recently posted..The Phillies &amp The Cadillac Culinary Challenge…

21 Amy May 25, 2011 at 8:46 am

That looks amazing! I’ve only ever made baked meatballs – I’ll definitely have to try this out. Yum!
Amy recently posted..well played- huffmans

22 Amy @ love4living May 25, 2011 at 11:25 am

You are always so creative with your cooking.. can you teach me how to cook? I am stuck at ‘boiling water’.
Amy @ love4living recently posted..Some things and DudeWTF Part 1