more ยป" />

Fil-Fil

by Meghann on May 23, 2011

CONGRATS to my sister Kelly for defending her thesis today.

Woo Hoo!!

Kelly worked her booty off on that thesis, she deserves all the ‘woo’ she can get! Unfortunately I don’t understand a single word of the thesis, but I don’t need to read it to know she rocked it! ๐Ÿ˜‰

Side note: I’m driving over to Orlando on Saturday so I can go dress shopping with Kelly!! So. Excited. ๐Ÿ™‚

Dinner tonight featured a new dressing I was sent to review for the blog.

Fil-Fil East Mediterranean Cuisine is a small company based in San Jose who focus on rich, fresh and wholesome products made with the highest quality of ingredients. The owner was very sweet in her e-mails, and after reviewing the beautifully done website I couldn’t wait to try, what I knew would be some delicious dressings.

IMG_6540.jpg

I put the Herbal Lemon Sauce to the test tonight as a marinade for the snapper I had set aside for dinner.

The fish marinaded for 20 minutes.

And baked in the oven for 30 minutes at 375

Served with another slather of sauce for good measure. ๐Ÿ˜‰

I should have marinaded the fish a bit longer because the flavor of the marinade really didn’t stick. The extra slather of sauce gave the fish a great boost of the intended flavor, which was slightly sweet and sour and rich with flavor.

While the fish baked, I had parsnip fries baking right along side them.

And steamed green beans.

For dessert a serving of ricotta cheese, chocolate chips, pb chips, strawberries, and granola.

Yum!

Time to watch the Make it or Break It season finale – OBSESSED!

1 Holly @ The Runny Egg May 23, 2011 at 10:55 pm

Too bad the fish didn’t have the flavor you were looking for — I have such horrible luck making fish at home so I have no idea how long you should let it marinade!
Holly @ The Runny Egg recently posted..Tomato Face

2 Ryda Nofal May 26, 2011 at 6:03 pm

Fil-Fil Herbal Lemon is really nice with fish, it’s just that it keeps working while kooking and as I said before , give it time “no chemicals, no twenty minute miracle”it needs time.
if you like a more potent flavor try Fil-Fil Rich Pomegranate, it’s so good with salmon, red meats, vegetables.
and the best part is that those sauces have NO: preservatives, artificial coloring or flavors,trans-fats, added sugar.

3 maria @ Chasing the N0w May 23, 2011 at 11:03 pm

I’m going to have to look for some green beans at the supermarket. You’ve got me craving them now. ๐Ÿ™‚

4 Kaitlyn @ 7 Plates May 23, 2011 at 11:11 pm

Congrats to your sister! I totally wish I had a sister!

5 Tori (Fresh Fruition) May 23, 2011 at 11:13 pm

Perfect dessert! And I’m normally so impatient with marinades :p I’m trying to let things marinade longer, especially since it’s tofu most of the time (which is pretty much tasteless)

Congrats to your sister!
Tori (Fresh Fruition) recently posted..A Weekend of Firsts

6 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife May 23, 2011 at 11:19 pm

Oh I remember defending my Master’s thesis back in December…SO glad that is over<—so huge HUGE congrats to your sister. That is seriously a LOT of work ๐Ÿ˜‰

I love fish dinners. Yumm.

7 Chelsey (Cookteen) May 23, 2011 at 11:38 pm

it so cant be the finale already!? it just started!!! ๐Ÿ™ love that show too!!

8 Jessica @ The Process of Healing May 23, 2011 at 11:46 pm

Your dessert sounds amazing!!
Jessica @ The Process of Healing recently posted..Oh Boysโ€ฆ Guest Post

9 Alaina May 24, 2011 at 12:15 am

I hate it when marinades don’t stick the way they should. The flavor of the dressing sounds delicious!
Alaina recently posted..BPL &amp Stoddardโ€™s Fine Food &amp Ale

10 Ryda Nofal May 25, 2011 at 6:41 pm

The flavor of Fil-Fil Herbal Lemon is really nice .
the best part is that it’s not just a marinade but it’s a cooking sauce too, so you can saute, bake, or grill with it. It’s good with fish as Meghann used it, and it’s great with chicken and with vegetables.
As you know, good things take time, no chemicals, no twenty minute miracles ! So if you’re marinating chicken give it time, 4 hours for breast and couple of hours for thighs.

11 Amber May 24, 2011 at 1:26 am

I know the actress is prego in real life but I am so sad for what they did to Emily’s character (so glad to have people to say that to, my fiance just looks at me sideways and pats me on the head).

Congrats to your sis! Defending is such a relief

12 Laura May 24, 2011 at 1:57 am

I love Make It or Break It! Still waiting for the last half of season 2 to air in New Zealand, but I was actually just trying to find out if the finale has screened in the US yet, so this was very timely! I’m an Emily/Damon fan, so I wanted to know what happened there with the pregnancy.

Graduation dress or wedding dress shopping? ๐Ÿ™‚

13 erica May 24, 2011 at 2:04 am

congrats to your sister!
gotta be honest, i don’t even understand the title of her thesis! :/

how exciting…wedding dress shopping????

14 Hats @ See How She Runs May 24, 2011 at 5:06 am

That is a very tasty sounding sauce. I’ll keep an eye out for it if they sell/plan to sell it over here in the UK.

And congratulations again to your sis!
Hats @ See How She Runs recently posted..Flashmobbinโ€™

15 Dina @ DinaRuns May 24, 2011 at 6:17 am

You should check-out the Priscilla of Boston store in Dr. Phillips. The dresses there are amazing.
Dina @ DinaRuns recently posted..Five Minute Dinner for One

16 katie May 24, 2011 at 6:43 am

Congrats to Kelly! Im sure she is happy that is done!

How exciting you are going dress shopping with her!!! Ok so is your brother getting married around time she is too?! U have two siblings getting married now! Woohooo! Wedding madness! love it!

Have a great day!!
katie recently posted..License to drive and to shop

17 Kelly May 24, 2011 at 1:52 pm

Ben is getting married in February and Anthony and I are planning to get married in June! ๐Ÿ™‚ 2012 is going to be a wedding year!
Kelly recently posted..Nervous!

18 Lauren May 24, 2011 at 6:44 am

That marinade sounds delicious! I always forget to marinate things as long as they should be. If I would remember to do this the day before, I feel that my fish or meat would come out 100 x better.
Lauren recently posted..Well That Was Awkward

19 Claire May 24, 2011 at 7:34 am

I love Make it or Break It too!!! Although I think the size of the beam they use is a bit ridiculous…oh well! I guess the actresses aren’t really gymnasts. ๐Ÿ™‚ I had snapper last night, too and it needed a little extra added as well. Bet that sauce was great. And congrats to Kelly! I’ve only ever defended an honors paper but that was stressful enough!

20 McKayla (green groats) May 24, 2011 at 7:41 am

Ohh yum. I have not had snapper in a while. Looks great. I’ve never had parsnip fries either. I’ve got to try them!

Congrats to your sister! ๐Ÿ™‚

I must admit I watched make it or break it last night too ๐Ÿ™‚
McKayla (green groats) recently posted..Weekend Recap- Run- Smoothie- Swim- Kyia- Field Hockey- Bike!

21 Hope May 24, 2011 at 8:32 am

Congrats to your sister! ๐Ÿ™‚

I love your dessert! Very unique to use ricotta cheese and add a ton of toppings. So yummy!
Hope recently posted..The Phillies &amp The Cadillac Culinary Challengeโ€ฆ

22 Molly May 24, 2011 at 8:54 am

What a great idea for a dessert! Protein rich and very delicious- Thanks!

23 Jenny @ Fitness Health and Food May 24, 2011 at 8:56 am

CONGRATS TO KELLY! ๐Ÿ™‚ That’s such an incredible achievement! ๐Ÿ™‚

love the look of that dressing, def want to give it a try if I see it at the store. thanks for the review! ๐Ÿ™‚

24 Marie May 24, 2011 at 8:59 am

Yay for Orlando dress shopping!

I ended up with a Vera Wang from Priscilla of Boston (Sand Lake) and it is a fantastic shop with really great staff.

Have fun!

25 Ali @ Ali Runs May 24, 2011 at 9:17 am

I have heard so many things about Make It or Break It, but still haven’t seen it! Congrats to Kelly! ๐Ÿ™‚
Ali @ Ali Runs recently posted..Total Body Conditioning

26 Kelly May 24, 2011 at 1:51 pm

Yay Thesis defense is done!! SO ready to go wedding dress shopping! ๐Ÿ™‚
Kelly recently posted..Nervous!

27 Amy May 24, 2011 at 2:59 pm

I’m so glad you watch that show too! I always get odd looks when I mention that I watch it because no one knows what I’m talking about. It’s so good though!
Amy recently posted..Delirium

28 Amy @ love4living May 24, 2011 at 9:18 pm

Oh you make ricotta cheese look really good!
Amy @ love4living recently posted..Some things and DudeWTF Part 1

29 Elise May 25, 2011 at 2:19 am

i’m so glad someone else is obsessed with make it or break it. soooooo delightful!
Elise recently posted..SheIsBeautiful

30 shorty May 25, 2011 at 7:48 am

Congrats Kelly!!! So excited for you!

I have a love/hate relationship with Make It Or Break It. I love it because I was a gymnast but hate it because I was a gymnast. The reality of the drama is so far from the truth it isn’t funny! Gymnasts for the most part don’t have that kind of drama going on at the gym. About the only real drama that happens is with the “NGO”. That kind of stuff sorta happens but the rest is really far fetched. The gymnastics isn’t all that great either. I say all of that yet I can’t NOT watch it! (sorry double negative) I love gymnastics so I can’t help but watch! I was SO glad they made the finale a positive one. LOL Yes I like happy endings:)