Kelly Drive

by Meghann on May 21, 2011

Goood Morning!

Ashley and I hit the famous Kelly Drive this morning for a 4 mile run.

Kelly Drive was gorgeous – a nice, shaded paved path along the water. We had perfect weather and the first mile literally flew by.

After the first mile we hit a little path traffic thanks to a crew regatta in town. We were dodging boats, people, and tents as we fought our way to the 2 mile turn around point.

Crew is not big in Florida at all (at least not where I great up), so I’ve never seen a crew team in action before. It was incredible to watch them row by. I could feel my upper back and arms burn just watching them.

Our run was the perfect opportunity to test out my new Meals and Miles shirt I ordered from MyRaceRagz.com

IMG_6754.jpg IMG_6755.jpg

I’ve been debating ordering a Meals and Miles running shirt for a while, but haven’t found a company with a tech tee material that I like. A couple of weeks ago an Ad for MyRaceRagz.com popped up on MeetUp.com and I decided to check it out (marketer’s dream <–right here). Anyways I took a chance and ordered a custom shirt (with my own money, no freebie here).

When it arrived I knew I had made the right move. The material was great and the fit was flattering. We have a winner1 πŸ™‚ I can’t wait to wear it in my next race!

The best part was when I heard someone shout ‘Meghann?’ behind me. I turned around and was greeted by a reader who was out running with her boyfriend. (HI JENN!!!!!!) She recognized the logo on the shirt and had turned around to say hi!

Even better was the incredibly sweet e-mail I had waiting for me in my inbox after the run from Jenn’s boyfriend, Ryan. Jenn – you have a winner there, don’t let that man go! πŸ™‚

We finished out run at the famous Rocky Steps at the Museum of Art.

Clearly I couldn’t leave Philadelphia without a run on the famous steps!

IMG_6763.jpg IMG_6764.jpg IMG_6765.jpg

You go Ashley!

After the run we came back to Sabrina’s for a quick shower and breakfast!

IMG_6773.JPG IMG_6775.JPG

T-minus 3 hours until Leslie’s wedding! It’s BEAUTIFUL outside and I know it’s going to be a beautiful wedding! Can’t wait!

1 kristy @ kristyruns.com May 21, 2011 at 11:16 am

Fun morning! And that shirt is so cute!
kristy @ kristyruns.com recently posted..End of the World

2 Holly @ The Runny Egg May 21, 2011 at 11:32 am

The weather looks gorgeous!!! It is raining here πŸ™

Love the shirt!
Holly @ The Runny Egg recently posted..Pizza Bread

3 Meghan May 21, 2011 at 11:34 am

I love running Kelly Drive anytime I travel home to Philly I make sure to go run along the river. Have fun at the wedding!

4 kelly bean May 21, 2011 at 11:36 am

As a former collegiate rower, rowing is deceptive-looking in that way, but it is not just arms and back… When you row, seriously EVERYTHING burns (if only arms and back aching, then you are at risk for injury and are not doing it correctly). Rowing truly works calves, thighs, hammys, glutes, core, back, arms, shoulders, etc etc etc. It’s sick like that.

And… little known fact, it’s pretty much the only type of race where you both START in a sprint and FINISH in a sprint! BRUTAL! LOVE IT!

Have fun in Philadelphia!

5 kelly bean May 21, 2011 at 11:37 am
6 Hats @ See How She Runs May 21, 2011 at 5:00 pm

I was just about to say something similar. Rowers have mean leg muscles! I coxed one outing at uni and had lots of friends who rowed. They were up at all hours for training on the water and for erg tests. I admired their willpower and determination! (I gave up coxing due to the cold early mornings… I’m weak)
Hats @ See How She Runs recently posted..Flashmobbin’

7 kelly bean May 21, 2011 at 6:27 pm

Hats,
I know what you mean…. Rowing is definitely not for the faint of heart, that’s for sure. That was physically one of the most exhausting times in my entire LIFE!

When it was cold out, we always felt bad for the coxswains… no matter how many layers they had on, they were ALWAYS freezing!
kelly bean recently posted..mexiquinoa a cinco de mayo delight

8 Breanna May 21, 2011 at 11:36 am

aahh, cute shirt! Wish my route was as pretty as Kelly Drive looks!
Breanna recently posted..Day 27- Kisses

9 Tessa @ Amazing Asset May 21, 2011 at 11:51 am

What a great day to start the morning! I hope you have a wonderful time at the wedding πŸ™‚
Tessa @ Amazing Asset recently posted..Prepping a Family Gathering

10 Courtney @ The Granola Chronicles May 21, 2011 at 11:53 am

What a great way to start your Saturday. I don’t know much about crew – to be honest, the only experience I’ve had with it is watching the twins in The Social Network. Hah!!

Enjoy your day! πŸ™‚
Courtney @ The Granola Chronicles recently posted..The Only Way

11 Amanda May 21, 2011 at 12:19 pm

Regattas are busy places! I’ve gotten knocked down by boats multiple times…oops.
I love running on that path, but I haven’t been there in a couple years :/
Amanda recently posted..White March

12 Stephanie May 21, 2011 at 12:39 pm

Looks like a great run. Your breakfast looks exactly like mine
Ol
Stephanie recently posted..Go Forth Grasshopper- A Runners Dream Night

13 Amanda May 21, 2011 at 12:46 pm

I live just outside of Philly and that’s my favorite place to run! The full loop is about 8 miles and is a great training run! Glad you got to experience it. Have fun today!

14 RunningOnCoffee May 21, 2011 at 12:47 pm

The weather is beautiful today!! Hope the wedding is great. Where you ran today is where the Rock n’ Roll half course was last September. I’ll be running on the other side of the Schuykill River bright and early tomorrow morning!
RunningOnCoffee recently posted..12 Miler

15 Cara May 21, 2011 at 1:16 pm

The new shirts look great! I’m glad you had a nice run, the weather looks gorgeous! Enjoy the wedding!

16 Alex May 21, 2011 at 1:23 pm

Ah! You encountered Stotesbury, one of the largest HS regattas. I definitely miss my high school days rowing there!

17 Dione May 21, 2011 at 1:28 pm

Cute shirt! Have fun at the wedding tonight!

18 Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine May 21, 2011 at 1:46 pm

Stotesbury Regatta is actually really fun to go watch if you have any downtime this weekend! I think it’s the biggest one in the country, if I’m not mistaken. Enjoy the wedding!!

19 Amy @ Love4Living May 21, 2011 at 2:32 pm

I love the Meals & Miles tee! It came out so cute!
Amy @ Love4Living recently posted..Outside My Comfort Zone

20 Nikki May 21, 2011 at 2:33 pm

It’s so cool seeing all of your pics of MY HOME! I totally wish I could have run into you! Have fun at the wedding!!!

21 Brenna [fabuleuxdestin] May 21, 2011 at 3:28 pm

YAY Philly! You hit up the best running spots πŸ™‚

22 Jenny @ Fitness Health and Food May 21, 2011 at 3:39 pm

what a wonderful way to start the day! πŸ™‚

Have a great time at the wedding! πŸ™‚

23 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife May 21, 2011 at 3:57 pm

love your shirt! What a great idea to market πŸ™‚

24 Courtney May 21, 2011 at 4:47 pm

It is REALLY hard to find a good technical fabric – I love how it looks on you!

25 XLMIC May 21, 2011 at 6:48 pm

What a wonderful trip into my past this was! Thanks so much! Missing my old neighborhood and rowing and running along Kelly Drive πŸ™‚
XLMIC recently posted..Vecchio Venerdì the president of a college

26 Michelle May 21, 2011 at 6:57 pm

So jealous of the weather! It was almost 90 degrees by 10am today. Yay!

Crew was actually really big at my high school (in Orlando). I don’t remember what part you are from though. It’s funny how it can vary just depending on what area you live in!
Michelle recently posted..My Own Version of Hell

27 Jenna May 21, 2011 at 7:55 pm

crew is very popular up here in new england! have fun at the wedding πŸ™‚

28 erica May 22, 2011 at 2:16 am

While rowing is a full body workout, if you are rowing correctly, you will feel it in your legs before anywhere else! Also, crew =rowing team, so “cream team” is redundant. I rowed on my university’s team in CA and we had a couple regattas in Philly. Love Boathouse Row!

29 erica May 22, 2011 at 2:17 am

ha! and by cream team i definitely mean crew team.

30 Kelly- Shiny Happy Vegan May 22, 2011 at 5:39 am

Glad you’re enjoying Philly! Yours is the first blog I ever started reading years ago and its fun to see you blog from the city I now live in- Go Philly! πŸ™‚
Kelly- Shiny Happy Vegan recently posted..Eating Local- Week 1

31 MaryBe@Accidentally-Vegan May 22, 2011 at 8:02 am

When my daughter lived at Skypoint, we watched the rowers on the Hillsborough river, from her balcony. I think they were from the college?
MaryBe@Accidentally-Vegan recently posted..Mac and Cheeze and Lunch with Shrimps

32 Kelsey May 22, 2011 at 9:42 am

I was a rower in college too! I miss it so much, but the erg is an amazing cross-training machine for my non-running days! I bet you’d love it if you could get someone to show you how to maneuver it properly!
Kelsey recently posted..let’s play a little game of catch up

33 Ali @ Ali Runs May 22, 2011 at 6:25 pm

I love the tech tee!! What a pretty run–I’ve always wanted to run up the Rocky steps. It’s on my bucket list πŸ˜‰
Ali @ Ali Runs recently posted..Total Body Conditioning

34 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday May 22, 2011 at 9:17 pm

Why is Kelly Drive famous?

35 RunningOnCoffee May 22, 2011 at 9:24 pm

Kelly Drive is part of Fairmount Park and is well known in the Philly area for “Boat House Row” along the Schuykill River. The paved path between the road and the river is a very popular running route.

RunningOnCoffee recently posted..Longest Post Ever