more ยป" />

Hellllooooo Philadelphia

by Meghann on May 21, 2011

You guys know me too well…

Of course our first stop in Philadelphia was going to be Reading Terminal Market! I’ve heard nothing, but RAVE reviews about the HUGE foodie paradise and could not wait to check it out for myself.

First of all, the place was BIG.

Second of all, hello crowds and choices!

Reading Terminal Market is made up of several quick service counter restaurants, bakeries, meat and vegetables stands. It’s located in the heart of Philadelphia’s Center City and during lunchtime it was PACKED with people.

IMG_6022.JPG IMG_6023.JPG

Derek and I were on a mission. We beelined it straight to Dinic’s for some Roast Pork sandwiches that Derek had seen featured on Man vs Food and had been drooling over ever since.

Derek LOVES Man vs Food and we have a rule that when ever we travel we have to visit at least one Man vs. Food recommended restaurant. (Ike’s in San Francisco, Katz in NYC, Acme in New Orleans, etc.) His choice for Philly was Dinic’s and apparently we weren’t the only ones, the line for food wrapped around the place.

After 15-20 minutes of waiting we noticed two chairs open up at the counter. We quickly grabbed them before anyone else had a chance. Win! ๐Ÿ™‚

The menu was short and sweet. Meat, Meat, and More Meat.

IMG_6041_2.jpg

Good meat. I had to wipe the drool from Derek’s chin as we watched them hand carve the brisket.

IMG_6049.jpg

To get the full Man Vs. Food experience, we both ordered the Roast Pork Sandwich with Provolone and Broccoli Rabe (exactly the same thing Adam had!)

Wow! I’m always afraid a sauceless pork is going to be dry, but this pork was very moist and delicious. The broccoli rabe added a nice saltiness and the cheese was gooey and strong. I almost sat out of the pork roast sandwich experience, but I’m so glad I got to try it. Definitely worth a trip to Philly for!

Derek LOVED it as well. He polished all of his off and then finished the second half of mine.

Boys.

After we finished up our sandwiched we headed to Flying Monkey for dessert.

The Classic Whoopies had caught my attention.

We got one to go and split it later that afternoon.

Moist cookie. Creamy filling. Great flavor. Win. Win. Win.

So what else is there to do in Philly besides eat?

See a little bit of America’s history.

ohhhhhh….. awwwww…….

IMG_6087_2.jpg

Obligatory photo in front of national monument? Check!

Obligatory photo in front of LOVE sign? Check!

Obligatory photo in front of Eduard Square Fountain? Check!

Obligatory photo in front of Rocky steps? Check!

We took a break of sightseeing for a drink.

Look what I found on tap?!?!

IMG_6162.jpg

Cigar City!! <– a Tampa brewed beer all the way in Philly!

I enjoyed one Cigar City Beer and one of Sabrina’s chocolate chip cookies back at the apartment.

Philly is full of great neighborhood restaurants that had been catching my eye all day.

IMG_6166.jpg

For dinner tonight, Sabrina led us all to Jack’s Firehouse – a great local place that had southern comfort food with an upscale feel.

Coastal Cab for starters.

IMG_6171.jpg

The boys had their side of the table

And the girls had theirs.

Do you see a new face?

This is my friend Emily. ๐Ÿ™‚ Emily and her boyfriend moved to Philly about a year ago from Florida. We met back in college, but it’s been far too long since we last saw each other.

In fact, she was the one that introduced Derek and I back in college.

2006

shots.jpg

2011

Quite a difference, eh?

We had a fun night reminiscing about the good ole days. The only thing missing was a bottle of Bacardi Razz! ๐Ÿ™‚

Dinner started with delicious biscuits for everyone

I had one covered in the apple jam. I <3 jam!

The menu was pretty heavy, so I ended up combining a soup and salad appetizer to create a whole meal.

The black eyes pea soup was warm and comforting.

With a piece of cornbread

The grilled vegetable salad was light and fresh. However, it was missing the promised goat cheese! Oh well.

Dinner was great. The company was great. And now the party is continuing at Sabrina’s.

Good Night!!

1 Kaitlyn @ 7 Plates May 21, 2011 at 1:18 am

Looks like a fun day! I love Philly!
Kaitlyn @ 7 Plates recently posted..Broccoli Cheddar Soup

2 Jen G. May 21, 2011 at 1:28 am

I was in Philly a couple of months ago for a conference, and I went to the Flying Monkey. Did you see the Strapple cake? Strawberry pie baked in chocolate cake, topped by a layer of buttercream, topped by an apple pie baked in a white cake, covered with buttercream. RIDICULOUS! I bought a piece for $9 and could only manage a couple of bites…. WORTH IT.

3 Whitney May 21, 2011 at 1:37 am

Awww….it’s so good to see another familiar face in your post! Hi Em!! ๐Ÿ™‚

4 Ashley May 21, 2011 at 4:03 am

My best friend rented out Reading Terminal Market for her rehearsal dinner! I’m so excited!

5 Brenna [fabuleuxdestin] May 21, 2011 at 4:09 am

Yay Philly! The pictures make me so happy – i miss home!
Brenna [fabuleuxdestin] recently posted..brussels is tricky

6 Jumanah (Healthy Living in the Middle East) May 21, 2011 at 4:29 am

The pork sandwich looks divine! Such a fun day! Have a great weekend!
Jumanah (Healthy Living in the Middle East) recently posted..Spaghetti Dinner

7 Katy (The Singing Runner) May 21, 2011 at 5:24 am

Ah! Looks amazing and such a fun time!
Katy (The Singing Runner) recently posted..I Have A Box

8 michelle May 21, 2011 at 6:20 am

What a great day you had!
michelle recently posted..The Military Life

9 Lauren May 21, 2011 at 7:21 am

Philly is always more fun when you sleep over! I adore the Reading Terminal and have to hit it up every time i am there. So glad you are having a good time Meghann!
Lauren recently posted..Short and Sweet

10 Nikki May 21, 2011 at 8:24 am

You were in my neighborhood last night!!!! Jack’s is just around the corner. Reading Terminal is awesome… Dinic’s is one of my favs when the line isn’t an hour long. I wish I told you to go to Famous 4th Street Cookies in there, too… seriously, best cookies ever. ANYWAY- have fun at the wedding!

11 Julianne May 21, 2011 at 8:30 am

I live in Philly and you definitely made a good choice in going to DiNics- SO good! glad you’re enjoying the city. Random side note- I saw you while running the Country Music Half-Marathon and told you I loved your blog ๐Ÿ™‚ And I’m from Florida! Small world.

12 Liz (Little Bitty Bakes) May 21, 2011 at 8:42 am

I love Philly – especially Reading Terminal Market! Looks like you hit all the ‘must-see’ places!
Liz (Little Bitty Bakes) recently posted..Whole Wheat Brown Butter Cookies

13 Mia May 21, 2011 at 9:03 am

that’s funny, i also had lunch a Dinic’s yesterday, but I’m sure I was there earlier than you because it was an earlier lunch than usual.

enjoy your time here!

14 Holly @ The Runny Egg May 21, 2011 at 9:05 am

The pork sandwiches look amazing! I would think it would be too dry too, good to know it was delicious.
Holly @ The Runny Egg recently posted..Pizza Bread

15 Anne Weber-Falk May 21, 2011 at 10:22 am

If you are in the mood for more sight seeing you could go to Betsy Ross’s house. Also the Christ Church Burial Ground-so old and historic-this is where Benjamin Franklin is buried. There is also a street that is totally historic, full of these very old row houses that are so perfect and pretty. It looks like you have stepped back in time and people actually live here. I wish I could remember the name of the street. It is in that whole historic area. Your friends might know the name. The Philly mint is cool to see too. I grew up going to Philly. My grandparents lived there. It has been a number of years since I have been there but I still remember all the neat places we used to visit.

16 Katherine: Unemployed May 21, 2011 at 11:04 am

keep partying on ๐Ÿ˜‰
Katherine: Unemployed recently posted..Mike Tyson

17 Miranda May 21, 2011 at 11:14 am

LOVE Jack’s firehouse – during October they have a special Halloween menu and you get dinner and a tour at the Eastern State Penitentiary right across the street. Glad you’re enjoying Philadelphia – it’s where I was born and raised!

18 Alaina May 21, 2011 at 12:41 pm

My husband and I pretty much do the same thing where if we see in on a Travel Channel show, we must go. When I went to Zurich, I went places that Samantha Brown went to.

Looks like a fun time in Philly! I’ve only been there at 2AM to go to Pat’s and Geno’s. I definitely want to make it back and actually explore the city.
Alaina recently posted..5 Napkin Burger

19 Nicole May 21, 2011 at 1:01 pm

It’s funny, I great up in Philadelphia but hadn’t heard of that sandwich until I saw it on Man vs Food.

20 Amy @ Love4Living May 21, 2011 at 2:35 pm

I totally LOL’d at the Bacardi Razz comment. I often think back to some of the alcoholic beverages I drank as a youngin’ and literally shudder.. lol
Amy @ Love4Living recently posted..Outside My Comfort Zone

21 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife May 21, 2011 at 4:00 pm

oooh looks super fun! And yummy. WOW ๐Ÿ™‚

22 Jenny May 21, 2011 at 7:12 pm

Love your sweater in these pics! Where’s it from?

23 Jenna May 21, 2011 at 7:58 pm

holy whoopie pie!!!
Jenna recently posted..Start of Summer

24 Vikki May 21, 2011 at 9:12 pm

Next time that you’re in Philly, you should go inside the art museum. It is AMAZING. At 19, I visited that museum and it totally made me appreciate art in a way that I hadn’t before.

25 Diana@mymarblerye May 24, 2011 at 4:37 pm

So fun! My husband and I try to visit man v food places as well as any place guy fieri goes too!! It’s sick but to us it’s normal ๐Ÿ™‚
Diana@mymarblerye recently posted..Doctor Doctor