Welcome to the City of Brotherly Love

by Meghann on May 20, 2011

Greetings from Philadelphia!

I’m blogging LIVE from the beautiful Sabrina’s kitchen!

Hi Sabrina!

Derek and I arrived late last night and hitched a cab to Sabrina’s apartment. We’ve both known Sabrina and her husband for a couple of years now, but this is our first time seeing them in their hometown. Heck, it’s our first time in Philly period.

We’re in town for another set of friends (Leslie and Charle’s) wedding.

(Flashback to Vermont in February ’11)

The late night meant a late morning. Derek and I both turned out alarms off on our phones and slept in until 8:30 this morning. It. Was. Glorious. πŸ™‚

For breakfast we all played catch up over a bowl of yogurt with granola and strawberries.

And a side of english muffin with Apricot Jam.

Fresh from Italy. So fancy!

Sabrina played a good trick on Derek this morning.

Can you guess which one of these is salt and which one is sugar?

Apparently Sabrina couldn’t either. πŸ˜‰

mmmm…. salt coffee.

The funny part is, this wasn’t the first time Derek has accidentally made salt coffee! My Dad keep his salt in a sugar bowl and Derek has made the same mistake there (as well as a few other family members. Dad – you really need to fix that).

Oh well, it made for a good laugh! πŸ™‚

Time to get dressed and explore!

What should we see or do first?!?!

1 Kara May 20, 2011 at 10:27 am

Mmm…salt coffee. Maybe that catch on, like salted caramel?
Kara recently posted..Crazy weekend ahead!

2 Hats @ See How She Runs May 20, 2011 at 10:31 am

My friend made salt coffee once. He also made coffee using what he thought was instant coffe but were actually grounds (despite having to move the cafetiere out of the way to reach the coffee)… I do worry sometimes.
Hats @ See How She Runs recently posted..Hats and V- Planking Partners

3 Callie May 20, 2011 at 10:27 am

I hope you guys have a blast! Say hi to Sabrina for me!!! πŸ™‚
Callie recently posted..37 Weeks!

4 Callie May 20, 2011 at 10:27 am

I hope you guys have a blast! Say hi to Sabrina for me!!! πŸ™‚
Callie recently posted..37 Weeks!

5 Shannon Blogs May 20, 2011 at 10:27 am

LOVE Philly!!!! While you’re there be sure to notice all the murals. There’s tons of them and they’re super pretty to look at πŸ™‚
Shannon Blogs recently posted..On the Brink of Something Good

6 Hats @ See How She Runs May 20, 2011 at 10:29 am

I don’t live in Philly nor have I ever been (maybe someday) but just wanted to say that I love apricot jam. Haven’t had it in a while (it’s all been about the strawberry/raspberry lately), maybe I should change that? I bought my dad a jar of whiskey-ginger preserve for his birthday last year. Now THAT is good stuff!
Hats @ See How She Runs recently posted..Hats and V- Planking Partners

7 Krista May 20, 2011 at 10:32 am

you MUST go to the reading terminal market. You will love it!! that and LOVE park of course. Have fun!!

8 Margaret May 20, 2011 at 1:27 pm

9 Kate (What Kate is Cooking) May 20, 2011 at 10:33 am

Hm, I do love salty and sweet together… now I’m tempted to go throw a little salt in my coffee, haha!
Kate (What Kate is Cooking) recently posted..Nothing Special

10 megs May 20, 2011 at 10:33 am

Lorenzo’s Pizza on South St! $2 for a huge slice and its the BEST pizza ever !!! πŸ™‚

And tomorrow run up the Art Museum steps (finish there after running along Kelly Dr.).

11 Laura May 20, 2011 at 10:33 am

Hi, welcome to Philly! I love living here. I don’t know what you have planned but if you’re at all into beers, really fun, imported exotic brews, you have to check our Eulogy and Kyper’s Pass pubs in Old City. They are amazing and the staff love giving recommendations and helping you try new things! Plus the food is awesome at Eulogy πŸ˜€ You gotta come check out the Lululemon KOP Grand Opening as well! Perfect timing to come PARTY and Yoga with us as we launch the newest Philly store and get decked out in some new sweat-wicking awesome workout clothes. No more stinky, soggy workout tanks after Spin or gym! Hope you enjoy your visit and I hope it stops raining for you to enjoy all the city has to offer

12 Sara May 20, 2011 at 10:34 am

I live in the Philly ‘burbs, but I so love the city. Check out the visitor center at 6th and Market St – you can get free tickets there for the Independence Hall tour, and the liberty bell. So many great restaurants downtown, especially in Old City… around 2nd/3rd and Market St. Such a great walking city! Hope the rain clears for your visit! Enjoy πŸ™‚

13 Diana (Run4Life) May 20, 2011 at 10:34 am

Enjoy Philly! You should definitely check out Redding Terminal Market for lunch or just to look. I think it’s one of the oldest food markets in the country (or something like that). Lots of fresh and delicious food! South street and old city are also great areas for exploring. And there’s always the art museum if you need an indoor activity. You KNOW you want to run up those Rocky steps πŸ™‚ You’ll also probably get girlfriend points if you take Derek to Pat’s and Geno’s for cheesesteaks. Although I’m sure you’ll be in great hands with Sabrina as a guide. Have fun!
Diana (Run4Life) recently posted..I Ran a Marathon! Part II

14 Hope May 20, 2011 at 10:42 am

If you get a chance to, definitely check out a Stephen Starr restaurant or Jose Garces restaurant! Most of them are amazing in Philly! My favorite Stephen Starr is the Continental Mid-town. Best martinis and cheesesteak egg rolls! πŸ™‚ Have fun!!
Hope recently posted..My Favorite…

15 Alicia @ Aligirl Cooks May 20, 2011 at 10:47 am

You should hit up the Reading Terminal, Italian Market, and eat a cheesesteak or roast pork sandwich!

16 miranda @ working mom works out May 20, 2011 at 10:49 am

Bwahahaha. Salt coffee. That made me laugh!

I hope you guys have a wonderful time!

17 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat May 20, 2011 at 10:49 am

Hahah nice trick!! Oh to seep until 8:30.. that sounds like heaven right now!! I hope you guys have an awesome time! I’m not familiar with the area but I’m sure you’ll find plenty to do!
Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat recently posted..Recap- Try Something New Tuesday 57

18 Tori (Fresh Fruition) May 20, 2011 at 10:52 am

That’s so funny with the salt coffee!

And that breakfast looks so simple yet so delicious!
Tori (Fresh Fruition) recently posted..A Weekend of Firsts

19 Holly @ The Runny Egg May 20, 2011 at 10:56 am

Have a great time — if you are in Philly you need to go to the Rocky steps!
Holly @ The Runny Egg recently posted..Pizza Bread

20 Lauren May 20, 2011 at 10:57 am

There’s a festival in Rittenhouse Square on Sat and Sun. It usually has really good food! Enjoy your time here!

21 allison @ thesundayflog May 20, 2011 at 11:03 am

awh fun!! i live about 5 blocks from sabrina. i wish you had time to meet up!! go to sabrina’s cafe for lunch! there are such awesome places to eat around there. and make a stop by the rocky steps since it’s LITERALLY a hop skip and jump away! have fun πŸ™‚

22 faith @ lovelyascharged May 20, 2011 at 11:06 am

When I was a kid, I used to pull that pranks as an april fools joke…my family finally got smart and drank their coffee black on April first!

23 Samantha May 20, 2011 at 11:07 am

Go be a tourist and run up the Rocky steps! If you have time, actually go into the Philadelphia Museum of Art (at the top of the steps), and then pose for a picture in front of Rocky’s statue. You can see the Liberty bell and the LOVE statue too. As for eats, you MUST get a Philly cheesesteak! I recommend Geno’s — they’re the best. Have fun!
Samantha recently posted..Peanut Butter French Toast

24 Amanda @ Cucina Amanda May 20, 2011 at 11:08 am

You’ll love Reading Terminal Market! It’s actually right across the street from my work, so I go there every day. It’s a foodie’s paradise!
Amanda @ Cucina Amanda recently posted..Crab Meat Mini Pizza

25 Chelsea May 20, 2011 at 11:11 am

lol!! Poor Derek! Have fun in exploring Philly and get a cheesesteak for lunch!
Chelsea recently posted..BBQ Chicken and Slaw

26 Lauren May 20, 2011 at 11:29 am

Lorenzos pizza on 2nd and south, then Jims cheesesteaks on 4th and south.

YOU HAVE TO GET WATERICE! Its not italian ice, its waterice- totally different. Johns on 7th and Christian is the best- and where I worked from when I was 12 to 15 πŸ™‚
Lauren recently posted..Random Friday Facts

27 Marisa @ Loser for Life May 20, 2011 at 11:30 am

I’ve lived in the Philly area all my life, so I second the run on Kelly Drive ending up the Art Museum steps! DEFINITELY check out the Reading Terminal Market! Lots of history in Olde City and fun to walk through. Rittenhouse Park is lovely, too. And you must get a pic of you and Derek in front of the LOVE sculpture at JFK Plaza! Have fun!

28 Stacey May 20, 2011 at 11:35 am

Have a great time while you are in Philly! I hope the rain holds out for you. Good Dogs is a great restaurant that adds a gourmet spin on classic comfortfoods, reading terminal is a great place for food of all sorts as well. I might also suggest the franklin institute for a first time visitor. Have fun
Stacey recently posted..Small Bread

29 Gina @ Will Run For Cupcakes May 20, 2011 at 11:42 am

Salt coffee does not sound appealing. However, Whole Foods makes milk chocolate caramels with sea salt….heaven! I highly suggest everyone on the planet checks them out.
Have fun in Philly!

30 Marisa E May 20, 2011 at 11:45 am

Have fun!! Don’t leave without trying a cheesesteak or a real Philly soft pretzel- fresh from a shopping cart on the street corner- hahaha!!!

31 Amanda May 20, 2011 at 11:59 am

AHH love Philly! So many wonderful things to do! I’d explore the Art Museum area, then head to Center City and go to DiBruno’s for lunch. Walk down Walnut St. for great shopping and then go to Reading Terminal Market. AND Old City to see all the historic sights!! Hope you have enough time πŸ™‚

32 Biz May 20, 2011 at 11:59 am

Have fun!! I’ve never been to Philly – hope your weather is good this weekend!

Hugs, Biz πŸ˜€

33 jen May 20, 2011 at 12:05 pm

franklin fountain in old city by the historic stuff. amazing ice cream and homemade hot fudge with a 1900s twist! http://www.franklinfountain.com/

34 Katherine: Unemployed May 20, 2011 at 12:27 pm

better than mixing up OJ and milk for cereal!

35 Lauren May 20, 2011 at 12:33 pm

Aww, how nice to be visiting Sabrina! Have a wonderful time this weekend. πŸ™‚
Lauren recently posted..Short and Sweet

36 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey May 20, 2011 at 12:47 pm

My feelings say that one should not put the salt bowl next to the sugar bowl. Just sayin’…
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..the truth about insecurities part i

37 Shannon May 20, 2011 at 1:23 pm

Welcome to my town!!! Hope you have a great weekend it’s the best city ever!
Shannon recently posted..Its a Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood

38 Jessica @ The Process of Healing May 20, 2011 at 2:12 pm

I’ve never been to Philly but it seems like fun!
Jessica @ The Process of Healing recently posted..My Favorite Posts &amp An Update

39 Mia May 20, 2011 at 3:47 pm

I don’t know if you read the comments or not, but I live in Philly and there is a great running group that meets every saturday at 9am in front of the art musuem. We do a 8.5 mile loop together, but there are also options for shorter loops (6 and 4 miles I think). Anyway, I will be there tomorrow morning, so if you’re in the mood for a run you should come join us. We do a loop around Kelly drive and Martin Luther King drive and it’s absolutely gorgeous this time of the year. If you want more detail you can email me at tua89634@temple.edu !

40 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife May 20, 2011 at 5:23 pm

ooooh fun! That is funny about the salt/sugar thing. haha. GAG πŸ˜‰

41 MyThy as in "Mighty" May 21, 2011 at 8:40 pm

If ever in OC, you’ve got to try Sea Salt Coffee @ 85C (as in degree’s Celsius) with a maple toast bread or taro bun. It’s a Chinese based coffee & pastry shop that’s super cheap ($0.99-2.50) and tasty. The balance of sea salt, coffee and the sweetness from the buns are a treat! I can eat 2-3 buns in one sitting! I take all my guests here and it wows them every time!

Enjoy Philly & Leslie’s wedding!
MyThy as in “Mighty” recently posted..an6el177- Can it be 12pm already so I can get my FREE Ben &amp Jerrys scoop LOVE me some CLUSTERFLUFF!!! 2 Scoops Waffle cone Please &amp thank you