Working from home together

by Meghann on May 19, 2011

Working from home with Derek is fun! πŸ™‚

His company recently started a new policy that allows employees to work from home two days a week. (Hence, why we had an urgent need for a new desk. πŸ™‚ ) Luckily, it all came together and we were able to get the office (semi) set up for the trial run today. So far, so good. I also think Derek is thoroughly enjoying the strict ‘work in your PJs’ dress code I instituted here.

(insert fun, cute photo Derek refuses to let me to put on blog. boo.)

Having him here really isn’t that much different than having him at his office. He stays in the second bedroom with the door closed and I stay in the living room. He eats lunch at 11:00 and I eat closer to 1:00. He never moves an inch and I can’t still!

We even communicate via gchat still.

Only now our conversations look more like this:

Derek: will you please make some coffee?
Sent at 9:41 AM on Thursday

And this

Derek: there’s a package at the door
Sent at 12:05 PM on Thursday

He’s a funny one. πŸ™‚

He did make his own sandwiches for lunch.

And I made a salad with the last of the fresh vegetables in the fridge.

My salad included:

• Spinach
  • Cherry Tomatoes
  • Chopped Dates
  • Corn
  • Corn Muffins (the last two from my frozen batch!)
  • Homemade Tahini Dressing

I should use the phrase ‘Homemade Tahini Dressing’ loosely. It was really just a tiny spoonful of tahini whisked with lemon juice, salt, pepper, olive oil, and some honey mustard. There were no measurements, just added everything by taste. It turned out really well for an impromptu dressing. πŸ™‚

Delish!

Who to follow on Twitter

As promised, here’s the list of who to follow for what’s happening in other cities around the U.S. (and Canada!) If you have anyone to add, let me know and I’ll edit the list later! :

Windsor, Ontario (via Samantha)

• @WindsorEats

Philadelphia (via Amanda)

• @PhillyRun is great for deals on running equipment in Philly
  • @uwishunu is a Philly blog about restaurants, shopping, events, etc. throughout the city
  • @IovineBrothers is a local produce stand in the Reading Terminal Market that has amazing produce and even more amazing deals!

Denver (via Lynne)

• @LikeATL
  • @tonetoatlanta
  • @atl_events

Milwaukee (via Laura)

• @fitmke
  • @mkelfmarathon
  • @tomheld (Off the Couch blog)
  • @pabsttheater (music news and concert updates!)
  • @lauramke20 (me!!!)
1 Kara May 19, 2011 at 2:12 pm

When my husband works from home, I drive him crazy. I’m like “Oh, can I just leave the baby in here while I jump in the shower? Kthanksbye” lol

No wonder he chooses to go into the office instead!
Kara recently posted..Thursday Confessions- Food Edition

2 Dori May 19, 2011 at 2:14 pm

Change your “work in your PJs” dress code to “work naked” dress code. THEN post some pics.
Dori recently posted..Comment Wars

3 Freya May 19, 2011 at 2:14 pm

Ah I don’t know how you do it! I hate anyone else being in the house when I’m working – but then I need 100% silence to work – even the cat mieowing is enough to break the flow :/

4 Holly @ The Runny Egg May 19, 2011 at 2:15 pm

I honestly hope that Jason and I can both work at home one day — I’m sure we’ll drive each other crazy some days but as a whole I think it would be fun!
Holly @ The Runny Egg recently posted..Pizza Bread

5 kristy @ kristyruns.com May 19, 2011 at 2:15 pm

Great list! I think out would be fun if mark and I worked from home together! Distracting but fun. πŸ™‚
kristy @ kristyruns.com recently posted..Busy Bee

6 miranda @ working mom works out May 19, 2011 at 2:16 pm

Aww, you guys are cute!

And that’s a great list. I went searching for some people in Huntsville or even just Alabama and haven’t really found anything. Boo.

7 Stacy @ Every Little Thing May 19, 2011 at 2:18 pm

Here’s some more for St. Louis!

me? hehe @goblueELTblog
@SauceMagazine (local food mag)
@feastmag (another local food mag)
@Weatherbird (lots more than weather!)
@wfmgalleria (Whole Foods local)
@stlhops (brew news)
@stlbites (food news)
@slowfoodstl (Local Slow Food)
@Schlafly (local craft beer)
@RiverfrontTimes (local newspaper)

I could recommend a million more based on people’s interests, so any questions about St. Louis, let me know!

8 Stacey May 19, 2011 at 2:28 pm

I would be more like you too if I worked from home. I am so antsy and I would probably bother my signifigant other every 5 seconds door closed or not.
Stacey recently posted..Small Bread

9 Katy (The Singing Runner) May 19, 2011 at 2:33 pm

Adorable! πŸ™‚

I’m going to work on a Jacksonville list! πŸ™‚ It would be a good way for me to explore new places around town! πŸ˜‰
Katy (The Singing Runner) recently posted..I Have A Box

10 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife May 19, 2011 at 2:34 pm

mmm your salad looks great!

11 Halley (Blunder Construction) May 19, 2011 at 2:34 pm

I like playing hookie together a lot more than working together from home! πŸ™‚ Wish my work had an option to stay home a couple days a week!
Halley (Blunder Construction) recently posted..I’ll Cut a Book

12 Kate (What Kate is Cooking) May 19, 2011 at 2:53 pm

Haha, my dad works from home one day a week and it drives me nuts! We have to be quiet because he’s on the phone all day.
Kate (What Kate is Cooking) recently posted..Nothing Special

13 Sarah (A Runner's Heart) May 19, 2011 at 2:54 pm

Thank you so much for the Dallas list! I am new around the area and this will help a lot!! πŸ™‚ And when my hubby is home, we will sit next to each other and text each other lol. So I love that you still gchat! haha πŸ™‚
Sarah (A Runner’s Heart) recently posted..2 miles –

14 Hope May 19, 2011 at 2:54 pm

I think if my fiance and I both worked from home, we would never get anything done! So cute though πŸ™‚

Love the salad and I like the dressing even more! It sounds tasty!
Hope recently posted..My Favorite…

15 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat May 19, 2011 at 3:46 pm

Some days I would LOVE to do the whole work from home thing. I think I’d need to move my desk out of my room and into a separate room though, or else I’d spend literally my entire day in there (well, minus kitchen time!) I think it’s nice that you guys can see each other throughout the day – even if it is just for coffee making requests/delivery!
Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat recently posted..Recap- Try Something New Tuesday 57

16 RhodeyGirl May 19, 2011 at 3:46 pm

CAN’T WAIT TO SEE YOU!
RhodeyGirl recently posted..Baby Book

17 Stephanie May 19, 2011 at 3:54 pm

Great list of who to follow, thanks! I’m also impressed that ya’ll can get so much work done when you’re both at home
Stephanie recently posted..Birthday Are you here

18 Jamie aka "Sometimes Healthy" Girl May 19, 2011 at 4:25 pm

That is so nice that his company lets him work from home! I wish my company did that. My life would become soooo much easier :-). I want your corn muffins on my salad!
Jamie aka “Sometimes Healthy” Girl recently posted..Carbs vs Chocolate- A Sticky Situation

19 Kelly @foodiefresh May 19, 2011 at 4:32 pm

My husband can’t make coffee either. He says mine tastes better but I really think he’s just trying to get out of making coffee the 1 X per month I ask him to. πŸ˜‰ Boys are funny creatures.
Kelly @foodiefresh recently posted..One skirt for every occasion

20 Jessica @ The Process of Healing May 19, 2011 at 4:40 pm

How nice to be working from home together! I think I would be extremely distracted though..
Jessica @ The Process of Healing recently posted..My Favorite Posts &amp An Update

21 Katherine: Unemployed May 19, 2011 at 4:44 pm

I would be so distracted at home working!
Katherine: Unemployed recently posted..Apple Genius

22 Emma (Namaste Everyday) May 19, 2011 at 5:00 pm

that dressing is a great idea! That might be tasty with a thin almond butter, too!
Emma (Namaste Everyday) recently posted..β€œAnd now for the Dancing Pants”

23 Lisa (bakebikeblog) May 19, 2011 at 5:19 pm

I would love to work from home!
Lisa (bakebikeblog) recently posted..Blogger issues and spicy baked meatballs

24 Courtney May 19, 2011 at 5:56 pm

I’m only a TEENSIE WEENSIE bit jealous you both work from home. πŸ˜€
Courtney recently posted..My Running Style- yo

25 Jamie@everydaydolce May 19, 2011 at 6:41 pm

Hey Meghan, I’ve been a long time reader, inconsistent commenter, lol…wanted to share something I had featured on the dailyspark.com website. I know you love running so I thought you might enjoy πŸ™‚

26 margo May 19, 2011 at 7:06 pm

thanks for the twitter list!!

27 Amy @ love4living May 19, 2011 at 9:06 pm

Love the “work in your pjs” rule!
Amy @ love4living recently posted..Wednesday Weigh In- Too Big- Too Thin

28 linz May 19, 2011 at 10:56 pm

Thanks for the shout out!
linz recently posted..What I want right now

29 Lauren May 20, 2011 at 6:49 am

My hubby works from home one day a week and I often wonder what we would be like if I stayed home to work on that day as well. I think we would drive each other crazy! πŸ™‚
Lauren recently posted..Short and Sweet

30 Karolina May 20, 2011 at 6:10 pm

How fun that you get to be at home together! I definitely wish I had that opportunity:) Thanks for sharing the list- it looks great!
Karolina recently posted..Lifes Tiny Delights- Enjoying Nature