Spin, Run, Lift

by Meghann on May 19, 2011

Hot Sweaty Mess

230939_10100758206035873_5207154_69073126_1417110_n.jpg

The sign of a good gym workout. πŸ™‚

I was ambitious this morning – I wanted to get a spinning class, run, and weight session in before the work day began.

Unfortunately my gym only offered a 5:15am and 8:30am spinning class this morning. One too early; the other too late. :/ No worries. I just created my own ‘class.’

I headed straight to the spinning room once I entered the gym, grabbed a bike, turned the ipod up, and gave it hell. At first I was nervous someone would walk in and kick me out, but the more people who passed- and didn’t seem to mind me being in there alone- the more comfortable I became on the bike.

I’m no spinning expert, so I sort of winged my impromtu private class. There were lots of intervals (intervals are my favorite part of any spinning class), a few hills, and some downhill racing. Nothing too worth while, but I did work up a sweat in the process!

I lasted 30 minutes on the bike before heading to the treadmill for a quick 5k. I made it interesting by starting at 6.0 for 5 minutes and adding 0.5 every 5 minutes until I peaked at 8.5. Then I worked my way back down until I hit 3.1 miles.

Last, but not least, were the weights. I did Workout B from the Hard Body Workout in the Big Book of Exercises. Again, the phone/ move photo worked like a charm!

Needless to say, I worked up quite an appetite!

Breakfast Bowl

• 1/2 cup Cheerios
  • 1/2 cup Kashi Golden Goodness
  • 1/4 cup Granola
  • Lemon Chobani
  • Mango

The Lemon Chobani and Mango was a sweet/ refreshing combo. Definitely summer in a bowl. πŸ™‚

Derek is working home from today (yay, house buddy!) and tonight we’re flying to Philly for a friend’s wedding. I still need to pack! What’s the weather like in Philly now? Should I bring shorts? Jean? Sundresses? It’s hard to pack stuff for cooler weather when it’s 90 degrees outside! πŸ™‚

1 Kate (What Kate is Cooking) May 19, 2011 at 10:05 am

Whoa, that’s an intense workout! I ran after a spin class once and my legs were totally dead πŸ™‚
Kate (What Kate is Cooking) recently posted..Nothing Special

2 Holly @ The Runny Egg May 19, 2011 at 10:06 am

I do the same thing for treadmill workouts — increase speed and incline every 5 minutes and then work my way down. It goes by very quickly!
Holly @ The Runny Egg recently posted..Pizza Bread

3 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday May 19, 2011 at 10:09 am

I usually run before spin class if I do both in a row. I find my legs are more tired after spinning than running.

4 Nikki May 19, 2011 at 10:10 am

PHILLY! YAAAY!!! Where is the wedding? Where are you staying? There’s a half marathon on Sunday… just saying. It’s overcast right now, pretty humid, but in the 70s. The weekend is supposed to be warm, too! No more rain, supposedly! Have a safe trip!!!

5 miranda @ working mom works out May 19, 2011 at 10:11 am

Geez, what an intense workout! Get it girl!!

And your face in that picture is priceless!

6 Lauren May 19, 2011 at 10:12 am

I live in the burbs of Philly and the weather has been very unpredictable this week. Weather.com says that it’s in the 70’s and rainy until Sunday when it will be sunny and 69. Seeing as it’s been raining all week, I would prep for rain with warmer temps, but not nearly as warm as the 90’s. Where in Philly are you going?

7 Jenny @ Fitness Health and Food May 19, 2011 at 10:16 am

ohh what a great workout! I love doing my own spin class and the thing is that winging it is probably most like riding on the roads! πŸ™‚

Best wishes for the wedding, sorry that I don’t know what it’s like in Philly! Hopefully nicer than here in the windy city! πŸ™‚

8 Sana May 19, 2011 at 10:17 am

Have a blasty in phillyyy!

9 Jessica May 19, 2011 at 10:21 am

Good morning! I’ve been following your blog for a while and have been inspired to start a blog of my own πŸ™‚ It’s currently a work in progress…
Anyways – the weather this weekend in Philly is supposed to be gorgeous! 80’s and sunny! I would definitely bring sun dresses. Friday’s a little cool and rainy though so packing a pair of jeans is probably a good idea. Have fun at your wedding!

10 Maryanne May 19, 2011 at 10:27 am

Woah, a little overboard on the workout?

11 Lauren May 19, 2011 at 12:11 pm

Not really. When you’re training for a triathlon, brick workouts are pretty par for the course. They’re the best way to be fully prepared for your race.
Lauren recently posted..Run in the New Year

12 G May 19, 2011 at 2:31 pm

An hour of cardio and some weight lifting isn’t overboard… she’s fit and in training.

13 Ali May 19, 2011 at 10:27 am

Sounds like a great workout! I love getting my wormouts out of the way before the work/school day! It’s 60’s and cool in western NY! Hoping for warmer weather this weekend!
Ali recently posted..Race Plans

14 Ali May 19, 2011 at 10:28 am

Oops, workout*
Ali recently posted..Race Plans

15 Dori May 19, 2011 at 10:30 am

If Philly is anything like NYC right now, it is rainy and a little chilly. Blah.

I know you know Rachel (http://rachelwilkerson.com) — she has a podcast where she talks you through your own spin class, complete with music and her instructions (and humor)! You should definitely check it out.
Dori recently posted..Comment Wars

16 Kelly May 19, 2011 at 10:36 am

Great workout sister!
Kelly recently posted..Back on the Bike

17 jen May 19, 2011 at 10:39 am

Nasty, rainy, and humid, but it’s supposed to be a gorgeous weekend. Up the running punx! πŸ™‚ And if you’re into the odd and awesome this weekend in philly http://www.kesingtonkinetic.com. A human powered bike art race and street fair.

18 jen May 19, 2011 at 10:40 am
19 Jessamyn May 19, 2011 at 10:39 am

I live in Philly and have been wearing sundresses and (long) shorts for several weeks now. With the rain, you might want to have a cardigan or light jacket, but you’ll probably be fine no matter what you wear.

20 jen May 19, 2011 at 10:44 am

jesus h christ! http://www.kinetickensington.org/ SORRY! url fail

21 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat May 19, 2011 at 10:44 am

Oooh wow I love the bright pop of the mango! Nice job on your workout – isn’t sweat a great feeling (as gross as it is!!) If you ever randomly happen to be in the southern Ontario area, let me know and you can come to one of my classes! πŸ™‚
Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat recently posted..Recap- Try Something New Tuesday 57

22 Marisa E May 19, 2011 at 10:47 am

The weather today in Philly is still pretty rainy and overcast but tomorrow and the weekend is looking good so far- in the 70’s.
I know you’ll only be here for the weekend but please give a shout (tweet?) if you’re having any sort of meet-up.
Have a great weekend!!

23 J May 19, 2011 at 10:58 am

Lemon chobani + mango sounds completely awesome. Thanks for my next breakfast idea!
J recently posted..Blame it on theclub soda

24 Hope May 19, 2011 at 11:18 am

Great workout! πŸ™‚ YAY for Philly!!! That is where I live! Right now, we have been experiencing rain for an entire week. It’s pretty warm though. It’s supposed to be in the 70’s-80’s this weekend. So I would definitely bring capris, dresses, jeans, tanks. I don’t know if I’d bring shorts. Have fun!! πŸ™‚
Hope recently posted..My Favorite…

25 Courtney @ The Granola Chronicles May 19, 2011 at 11:22 am

I LOVE Lemon Chobani – I can only imagine how delicious it is with some fresh mango. Enjoy your day, Meghann! πŸ™‚
Courtney @ The Granola Chronicles recently posted..National Strawberry Month

26 Chelsea May 19, 2011 at 11:31 am

What a great workout Meghann! You were a sweaty mess!! Hope your weekend is a blast, and I am just guessing that the weather isn’t quite as warm a Tampa…just a guess though!
Chelsea recently posted..BBQ Chicken and Slaw

27 Courtney May 19, 2011 at 11:51 am

Nice workout! Have fun in Philly! πŸ™‚
Courtney recently posted..Try a Tri

28 Diana (Run4Life) May 19, 2011 at 11:59 am

Yay Philly!! Think you’ll have time for a blogger meetup πŸ˜‰ It’s supposed to finally stop raining and be warm and gorgous all weekend (good news for my half marathon on Sunday). I think it’s supposed to get into the 80s so definitely sundress and shorts weather!
Diana (Run4Life) recently posted..I Ran a Marathon! Part II

29 Shannon May 19, 2011 at 12:07 pm

Sounds like a great workout! I would love to try spinning sometime but my gym doesn’t offer classes
Shannon recently posted..Fall Class Schedule

30 Courtney May 19, 2011 at 12:11 pm

Love that shirt! Where from?
Courtney recently posted..My Running Style- yo

31 Amy May 19, 2011 at 12:48 pm

Don’t know if it’s the same, but I got something similar at Target (by C9) the other day. Super cute!
Amy recently posted..order of business

32 Alaina May 19, 2011 at 12:16 pm

Hmm, that bowl does look like summer. πŸ™‚

If Philly is anything like MA, it’ll be rainy, but warm. Hopefully the sun is on its way!
Alaina recently posted..5 Napkin Burger

33 Jennifer V. May 19, 2011 at 12:40 pm

That looks like a good workout! Have a great time in Philly!!

34 Amy @ Love4Living May 19, 2011 at 12:43 pm

Sweet, nice workout!
Amy @ Love4Living recently posted..Wednesday Weigh In- Too Big- Too Thin

35 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife May 19, 2011 at 12:53 pm

WHat a fab workout!! I too was a sweaty mess today πŸ™‚

36 Shannon May 19, 2011 at 1:16 pm

Great Workout! I don’t know if I would be able to get in as good of a workout spinning on my own without instruction from someone else. I love that they can mix it up so much and make it different each class. Plus there is something to be said about someone else picking the music…I always get sick of my own playlists.

The weather in Philly is nice. It’s been rainyish this week but mid 60s-70s. When the suns out it can get to 70s-80s. Shorts and t shirts are fine, light jacket at night if you get cold easily.

Have fun at Leslie’s wedding!!!!
Shannon recently posted..Its a Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood

37 Stacey May 19, 2011 at 1:35 pm

You will be in my neck of the woods this weekend. There is still a chill in the air and maybe some rain. Personally, I have been wearing dresses with a sweater over them and I have been comfortable. Check accuweather.com for the weekend report.
Stacey recently posted..Small Bread

38 Emily @ Savory and Savage May 19, 2011 at 1:37 pm

I am hoping to get in a tough workout like that today – I love the endorphin rush!
Emily @ Savory and Savage recently posted..How to be productive while not focusing

39 clare @ livingspreethegoodlife.wordpress.com May 19, 2011 at 1:42 pm

Nice job on the spin bike!! I just did my first half ironman this past Saturday and I can tell you that 56 miles on the bike is FAR. But I know you’re a distance runner like me, so overall the race didn’t take a big toll on my body, not like a marathon does. I was back to running and swimming on Monday πŸ™‚

One thing I did when I was training (and didn’t want to train on my bike outside) was go to ride the spin bike for an hour before the spin class started. That way, when all was said and done, I had ridden for at least 2 hours. The spin class in the final hour kept me motivated to finish! I just ignored the looks of everyone else when they walked in the class and saw me all dripping sweat on the bike, hehe. GOOD LUCK!
clare @ livingspreethegoodlife.wordpress.com recently posted..What to do with all those race t-shirts

40 Meghann May 19, 2011 at 2:35 pm

On Mondays and Wednesday they have spinning classes that run back to back that a lot of the triathletes do. I haven’t built my way up to that yet, but I hoped to take advantage of that a few times in the coming months! πŸ™‚

41 Laura May 19, 2011 at 1:52 pm

Loving keeping up with your blog and awesome job with the solo spin class!
Quick Q – how do you make your mango look so nice? Everytime I try and cut one I end up with a mango massacre!

42 Meghann May 19, 2011 at 4:18 pm

I peel the mango, cut off the sides (instead of trying to cut down the middle) and then cube the sections. Maybe I should make a video? I’ve had requests for how I cut apple slices too. lol

43 Lauren @ Sweet and Twisted May 19, 2011 at 2:09 pm

They’ve been calling for thunderstorms all week and we’ve been getting rain off and on so I’d definitely pack some jeans and sneakers!
Lauren @ Sweet and Twisted recently posted..Rest in Peace Zero

44 Dani May 19, 2011 at 2:09 pm

I LOVE your phone photo trick! I do the same thing on two occasions–(1) When I am navigating somewhere and I need to save battery on my phone (nav KILLS battery life), I take a pic of the directions list with my ipod so I can view at my leisure. (2) When shoe shopping for a specific outfit or dress, I take a pic before I leave the house–that way I can match colors and styles better than I can just from memory! Works every time.

45 Mac May 19, 2011 at 2:35 pm

I create my own spin workout every and again. It is a nice little break sometimes… way to kick butt on the workout this morning!
Mac recently posted..Cucumber-Orzo Salad &amp Red Velvet Whoopie Pie Recipes

46 Emma (Namaste Everyday) May 19, 2011 at 4:55 pm

WOW ! do you eat before your am workouts? I feel like I would pass out if I’d done all that without a little fuel!
Emma (Namaste Everyday) recently posted..β€œAnd now for the Dancing Pants”

47 Josephine May 19, 2011 at 5:42 pm

I have that same tank – it is the most comfortable material ever! It’s champion right? Do you wear a bra with yours or just go with the built in? Not to get too personal or anything lol.

48 Amy May 19, 2011 at 6:34 pm

Such a good workout! I need to get my butt to the gym for a session like that. I just have to say that I can definitely see the resemblance between you and Kelly in that face you’re making in the mirror! πŸ™‚
Amy recently posted..Giveaway alert!

49 melissa May 19, 2011 at 9:56 pm

Wow, what a workout! Frank has that book and does the same thing with the phone photos! I also love making up my own spin classes!
melissa recently posted..The FITiST