more ยป" />

Sweet Potato & Almond Butter Pita Pizza

by Meghann on May 17, 2011

No half ironman training plan yet, BUT I do have a crazy delicious, fun recipe to share with you.

You see ^that^ oh yes, it’s as delicious as it looks. ๐Ÿ˜‰

The Sweet Potato & Almond Butter Pita Pizza was inspired by the Sweet Potato Ranch Pizza I made the other week. Only, this version was ready in 5 minutes and required only a handful of ingredients I already had on hand.

Sweet Potato & Almond Butter Pita Pizza

Ingredients

• 1 Whole Wheat Pita
  • 1/2 Sweet Potato (peeled)
  • 2 T Almond Butter
  • Chopped Dates (or Raisins)

Step 1:

Toast the pita under the broiler for a couple of minutes on each side

Step 2:

Coat the pita with 2 T of almond butter

(Side Note: Was NOT a fan of the Blue Diamond Honey Almond Butter. A little heavy on the honey for my taste. :/ )

Step 3:

“bake” the sweet potato in the microwave until soft (about 5 minutes)

Step 4:

Mash the sweet potato on top of the almond butter and pita

Step 5:

Sprinkle with chopped dates and serve!

Not only does this make a great lunch, it would make a great breakfast too. A fun way to sneak some extra veggies into your diet.

I paired mine with apple slices

Nom. Nom. Nom.

You know you want some. ๐Ÿ˜‰

1 Heather @ Side of Sneakers May 17, 2011 at 2:00 pm

That sounds oddly delicious. I guess you really can’t go wrong with anything that involves nut butter & sweet potato! ๐Ÿ˜‰

2 Dori May 17, 2011 at 2:00 pm

Yum! That is a great idea, and one simple enough that I could actually make.
Dori recently posted..Comment Wars

3 Hope May 17, 2011 at 2:03 pm

This is a really interesting sounding pizza! I bet the combination of the sweet potato and nut butter tastes really good! ๐Ÿ™‚

4 Marina May 17, 2011 at 2:03 pm

This sounds great! I have no almond butter, but I’m sure this would be equally amazing with peanut butter!
Marina recently posted..down and up

5 Holly @ The Runny Egg May 17, 2011 at 2:04 pm

I love sweet potatoes on anything so this looks delicious to me!
Holly @ The Runny Egg recently posted..Pizza Bread

6 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday May 17, 2011 at 2:08 pm

Sounds delicious!

I just made some sweet potato fritters last night for dinner and the husband thought they would be even better with raisins.

7 Lucy @ Porridge and Parsnips May 17, 2011 at 2:11 pm

Oooh that looks really good, and I have all the ingredients in! I think I’ll try it for lunch tomorrow, thanks! ๐Ÿ™‚
Lucy @ Porridge and Parsnips recently posted..Sweet Treats Make A Bad Day Better

8 Jenny @ Fitness Health and Food May 17, 2011 at 2:19 pm

ohhhh yes please ๐Ÿ™‚

The changes I might make to that recipe are PB instead of AB (bec I’m addicted ๐Ÿ˜› ) and add some chocolate chips (again, bec I am addicted!) ๐Ÿ˜›

9 miranda @ working mom works out May 17, 2011 at 2:19 pm

I do want some!! I wonder if I could get my 5 year-old to eat that. hmmmm

10 Ash @ Good Taste Healthy Me May 17, 2011 at 2:27 pm

hmm interesting combo. I’m still unsure about it lol
Ash @ Good Taste Healthy Me recently posted..Docks and Birthday Fun

11 Freya May 17, 2011 at 2:33 pm

:O
That really does look delicious!! I LOVE sweet potato and dates and almond butter ๐Ÿ˜€
Freya recently posted..A Goodโ€™un

12 Erin May 17, 2011 at 2:36 pm

I never would have thought to put those things together but now that you mention it, they do sound good!

Although, do sweet potatoes count as veggies??
Erin recently posted..Weekly Workout Wround Up

13 Meghann May 17, 2011 at 3:22 pm

Yes! Sweet Potatoes are one of the superfoods!

14 Rachel May 17, 2011 at 8:25 pm

I consider a s.p. the starch part of my meal and usually combine with a green veg. and protein, but theyโ€™re great for you whether or not they โ€œcountโ€ as veggies!

15 Karen May 17, 2011 at 2:39 pm

I didn’t like the honey almond butter either:( it tastes funky. it’s not even good in recipes that call for almond butter. i have a whole jar just chilling at home:( you have the craziest food ideas ever. I love it!
Karen recently posted..Runnerโ€™s Knee is for the Birds

16 Meghann May 17, 2011 at 3:22 pm

Glad to hear I’m not the only one! I LOVE Smucker’s Honey Peanut Butter, so I thought this would be just as good. Wrong! Oh well…

17 Rachel May 17, 2011 at 8:23 pm

I consider a s.p. the starch part of my meal and usually combine with a green veg. and protein, but they’re great for you whether or not they “count” as veggies!
Rachel recently posted..I Heart Protein

18 Rachel May 17, 2011 at 8:26 pm

Oops, replied to the wrong comment… I’m a commenting dunce! Meghann, feel free to clean up! ๐Ÿ™‚

19 Amy May 17, 2011 at 2:40 pm

I looooved your other version, so I have no doubt I’ll love this one too!
Amy recently posted..Weekly Work Out Plan

20 Alexa @ Simple Eats May 17, 2011 at 2:43 pm

This looks very interesting! I just wish I liked sweet potatoes in SWEET things…I’m usually more of a savory person, but I’d like to try this!
Alexa @ Simple Eats recently posted..Trix are For Kids

21 Sarah @ The Smart Kitchen May 17, 2011 at 2:46 pm

I do. I DO want some.
Sarah @ The Smart Kitchen recently posted..Park It

22 melissa (fitnessnyc) May 17, 2011 at 2:49 pm

I actually do want some! looks great!
melissa (fitnessnyc) recently posted..Races and Places and Coconut Splash

23 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife May 17, 2011 at 2:50 pm

I LOVE this recipe ๐Ÿ™‚ I am a huge fan of sweet potato + AB, and I love pitas. Score!

24 Liv @ The Salty n' Sweet May 17, 2011 at 2:57 pm

This must’ve been really sweet with the overly sweet AB and sweet potato! Dessert pizza?? That I can definitely do.

25 Stefanie @TheNewHealthy May 17, 2011 at 3:01 pm

This sounds right up my alley – I love unique flavor combos! ๐Ÿ™‚

26 Katy (The Singing Runner) May 17, 2011 at 3:03 pm

Great idea and looks delicious! ๐Ÿ˜€
Katy (The Singing Runner) recently posted..I Have A Box

27 Hats @ See How She Runs May 17, 2011 at 3:05 pm

Sounds delicious! Sweet potatoes were a staple of my diet at uni. So quick and easy – microwave then top with a large scoop of hummus. I need to try almond butter too. I was going to buy some the other day but it was too expensive (I had already splashed out on Dark Chocolate Dreams).
Hats @ See How She Runs recently posted..Fitblog Plank Challenge

28 Courtney @ The Granola Chronicles May 17, 2011 at 3:10 pm

This looks SO good! I LOVE sweet potatoes and almond butters. The addition of dates is a mighty fine idea!

29 Cara May 17, 2011 at 3:42 pm

Wow very creative! It looks delicious!

30 Gina @Runningtothekitchen May 17, 2011 at 3:57 pm

So random but still sounds good. I like how all the ingrdients are things I always have on hand.
Gina @Runningtothekitchen recently posted..Ode to Ireland

31 Alaina May 17, 2011 at 4:52 pm

That looks so amazing. And so simple too! ๐Ÿ™‚
Alaina recently posted..5 Napkin Burger

32 River May 17, 2011 at 5:17 pm

You combine such interesting ingredients! I want to try this (minus the dates).
River recently posted..Studio Fix Fluid – Help!

33 Kaitlyn @ 7 Plates May 17, 2011 at 5:43 pm

You always come up with the best combinations of food! ๐Ÿ™‚

34 Lisa (bakebikeblog) May 17, 2011 at 6:02 pm

looks delish!
Lisa (bakebikeblog) recently posted..Blogger issues and spicy baked meatballs

35 Emma (Namaste Everyday) May 17, 2011 at 6:39 pm

i love that! so creative and easy!
Emma (Namaste Everyday) recently posted..โ€œAnd now for the Dancing Pantsโ€

36 Allison @ PickyEatingRD May 17, 2011 at 7:12 pm

This is such a weird combo that oddly seems to work perfectly. I can always count on you to mash random foods together into yummy deliciousness!

37 Kelly May 17, 2011 at 9:01 pm

This reminds me that I have to recreate sweet potato and black bean quesadillas I had several months ago, but I love the sweet pot + AB pairing. Looks delicious! I love quick meals.

38 Christine May 17, 2011 at 10:27 pm

What a great idea! Your recipes are always so creative.
Christine recently posted..Lessons from the Practice Room

39 Christine May 17, 2011 at 10:27 pm

What a great idea! Your recipes are always so creative.
Christine recently posted..Lessons from the Practice Room

40 McKayla (green groats) May 17, 2011 at 11:31 pm

Yes I do want a slice of that! Love those ingredients – such a great combo.
McKayla (green groats) recently posted..Wholesome and Hearty Quinoa Cakes

41 Angela May 18, 2011 at 7:28 am

Wow, thanks so much for this post! I have lived in Tampa my whole life and had no idea about this event! I think one of these rides is definitely in my future!

42 Sarah K May 18, 2011 at 1:38 pm

Yum, that pizza looks excellent!
Sarah K recently posted..Fun Run