I Need a Plan

by Meghann on May 17, 2011

Good Morning! 🙂

My goal for today (and tomorrow)? Finish designing my Half Ironman training plan.

Last night I put my head in a tailspin trying to figure out what I was going to do this morning. Apparently I’m not great at deciding things on a whim.  I need a plan! Having a plan just makes everything easier.

Eventually I settled on a nice swim (after realizing I wouldn’t have time for a swim any other day this week :/ ). Last night I set the alarm clock for 6:00am and this morning I headed to the pool to repeat the same swim workout I did last week.

The gym was packed this morning! All the lanes were full during my swim and when I hit the weights afterwards, there was a wait for some of the dumbbells. I’ve been a member of the Y for a couple weeks now and this was the first I’ve sen that!

Despite the crowds, it was nice to get in and get out. The swim workout went a lot quicker this week. I think it’s because I was a lot more confident in the water. I knew what I was doing and it felt good.

After the pool I got a strength training session in following the Hard Body Workout from the Big Book of Exercises.

I didn’t take any chances with remember the moves this time around and took photos of all the moves with my phone before hand.

Worked like a charm. 😉

Back-to-back workouts left my stomach feeling empty by the time I got home. I had planned on cereal or something a little more elaborate for breakfast, but when I walked in the door cereal was just the quickest, easiest thing to grab at that point in time.

The quick bowl contained:

• 1/2 cup Puffins
  • 1/2 cup Kashi Golden Flakes
  • 1/2 cup Chocolate Granola <–the last of the bag
  • Lemon Chobani
  • Strawberries

Time to work on that plan!

Wish me luck!

1 Freya May 17, 2011 at 10:01 am

Aah I’d get so overwhelmed trying to fit in THREE sorts of workouts for an Ironman!! I admire you 🙂 (though my pool is a 20minute drive away and costs £10…)
Freya recently posted..A Good’un

2 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday May 17, 2011 at 10:59 am

It costs £10 every time you go?? That’s steep!

3 Freya May 17, 2011 at 4:09 pm

Yep! Parking costs a bomb too 🙁 Darn country living!
Freya recently posted..A Good’un

4 Kelly May 17, 2011 at 10:02 am

That’s a really great idea to take photos of the moves with your phone. I’ve been guilty of not being able to do a move because I couldn’t remember what it was supposed to look like or doing it wrong.
Kelly recently posted..Highlight of Sunday

5 Courtney May 17, 2011 at 10:05 am

I agree with the plan! I’ve just started training for my first sprint triathlon and without the plan, I would definitely forget what to do or what I’ve done… or both! Best of luck creating your plan! 🙂

6 miranda @ working mom works out May 17, 2011 at 10:07 am

Ugh, My YMCA is always packed. We have to time our workouts JUST RIGHT. Otherwise we wait for machines and dumbbells… And it can get frustrating.

7 Jenny @ Fitness Health and Food May 17, 2011 at 10:08 am

I can’t wait to see what you come up with for your plan! Are you using any other plans to help design it?

Such a great idea to take pics of the exercises, proper form is so very important! 🙂

8 Holly @ The Runny Egg May 17, 2011 at 10:11 am

I don’t think I could design a plan on my own, I’d probably look online for a pre-made one. Or else I’d probably worry that I didn’t do it right!
Holly @ The Runny Egg recently posted..Pizza Bread

9 Kara May 17, 2011 at 10:14 am

Workout plans can be so stressful to put together because it looks so crazy on the paper, even if you know it won’t be that bad day to day!
Kara recently posted..Hound dogs make the best drum sets

10 Courtney May 17, 2011 at 10:22 am

Love your double workouts! Way to get it girl! When is your half-iron man??
Courtney recently posted..My Running Style- yo

11 Meghann May 17, 2011 at 10:26 am

September 25th

12 Courtney Smith May 17, 2011 at 10:43 am

The pool is one area of the gym that I’ve always avoided. I wish I was more confident in my swimming abilities because it can be a great workout!
Courtney Smith recently posted..A night to remember…

13 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat May 17, 2011 at 11:09 am

Good luck building your plan! Call me a nerd, but I actually think workout planning is kind of fun! Congrats on the great swim this morning, and your breakfast looks delicious!
Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat recently posted..Spotlight on Spring Produce- Fiddleheads!

14 Mac May 17, 2011 at 11:19 am

I am just in the process of revamping my half marathon plan! It’s exciting, but not the thing you ever want to sit down and do.
Mac recently posted..Cucumber-Orzo Salad &amp Red Velvet Whoopie Pie Recipes

15 Kate (What Kate is Cooking) May 17, 2011 at 11:22 am

I love / hate training plans. I rarely follow them, but sometimes I need the motivation!
Kate (What Kate is Cooking) recently posted..Nothing Special

16 Shannon May 17, 2011 at 11:34 am

That is really clever to copy the moves with your phone! I’m definitely going to try that
Shannon recently posted..Might as Well

17 Brenna [fabuleuxdestin] May 17, 2011 at 12:04 pm

I love Lemon Chobani! Great job girl!
Brenna [fabuleuxdestin] recently posted..Van Gogh Tour

18 Katy (The Singing Runner) May 17, 2011 at 12:05 pm

I function best with a plan too! Which is why I decided on a 29 week training plan for Chicago… granted the past 8 weeks were more or less rebuilding my mileage from an injury, but I consider this week (week 9!) to be the “real start” of my plan. 😉

19 Shannon May 17, 2011 at 12:16 pm

I can’t wait to hear about your training plan! Very cool that you are doing a half ironman
Shannon recently posted..Triathlon Training Plan

20 Lauren May 17, 2011 at 12:17 pm

I am with you! I always need some kind of plan or else I’m lost. Especially when it comes to any kind of strength training.
Lauren recently posted..Why I Wont Have a Good Week

21 Jamie aka "Sometimes Healthy" Girl May 17, 2011 at 12:46 pm

Good luck! And yum that cereal bowl looks gooooood!
Jamie aka “Sometimes Healthy” Girl recently posted..Reasons to Turn that Monday Frown Upside Down- Sunday Brunches with Brother Bear

22 katieRUNSthis May 17, 2011 at 1:14 pm

Having a good plan is a MUST. I’m still at the sprint triathlon and as soon as Baby Key arrives later this year (and I get the go-ahead from my doctor), I plan on stepping up to a half IronMan triathlon. Where did you get your plan from or did you create it yourself? I know that there are some good ones at http://www.trinewbies.com. I love having a plan. Having a plan everyday keeps me focused on what I have to get taken care of that day.

And on days when I’m tired or don’t feel like thinking, all I have to do is look at my plan and think, “Just gotta get it over with! The plan says so!”

Oh, and I don’t know what type of phone you have, but Woman’s Health magazine has some awesome apps for strength training! I do some of the exercises on my lunch break in my office! 🙂
katieRUNSthis recently posted..Black cloud over New Orleans triathlons

23 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife May 17, 2011 at 2:55 pm

I too need a plan. ha 🙂

24 Emma (Namaste Everyday) May 17, 2011 at 6:37 pm

at least you do swim! I’m lazy and I never swim hard enough for it to count as a good enough workout. poo.
Emma (Namaste Everyday) recently posted..“And now for the Dancing Pants”

25 Allison May 18, 2011 at 1:56 am

Those workouts are from Women’s Health, right? (As in, they published the book?) I think if you go on their website, you can download the workouts (or very similar ones) straight to your phone/iPod/whatever. I vaguely remember seeing/reading once that you can even download videos of certain moves to better check the correct form.

26 Emily May 23, 2011 at 1:29 pm

What a refreshing combo, Meghann! Thanks for the shout-out.