Always Have a Buddy

by Meghann on May 14, 2011

Good Morning!

I wanted to run this morning. Boy, did I want to run! We’re staying smack dab in the middle of downtown Miami and there are plenty of sights to see, bridges to run, and routes to explore. :)

Unfortunately, no one else wanted to run. :(

I wanted to run, but I didn’t want to run in a big city alone. With my luck I’d take a wrong turn, get lost, and end up in Coral Gables; or be kidnapped, held for ransom, and never see my running shoes again. It’s always better to run with a buddy in a new area – better safe than sorry!

So, instead I headed to the hotel gym and ran a measly 30 minutes on the boring treadmill while picking out my freckles in the mirror (I can only take so much of staring at myself while running).

My upper body is aching today from the Aerial Silks on Thursday. My arms, shoulders, and back hurt. They hurt bad. I had the bright idea of evening out the pain with a few sets of lunges, calf raises, and squats. Burn, Baby, Burn!

After the gym I met my family on the rewards floor for the VIP complimentary breakfast.

Word of advice: every time you stay at a new hotel – sign up for their rewards program! Just for being member we’re getting free internet access and breakfast during our stay. Sweet!

IMG_6647.JPG IMG_6648.JPG

I did a mix and match of the continental options and what I brought from home.

Rokit Fuel Oatmeal Mix (from home) with Hot Water (hotel)

Justin’s Honey Almond Butter (home)

Apple (hotel)

Breakfast is served!

Now, it’s time to start getting ready! My twin brother will officially become Dr. Twin Brother at 5:00! :)

1 Kate (What Kate is Cooking) May 14, 2011 at 10:09 am

I’ll never understand why gyms put treadmills right in front of mirrors! Who wants to stare at themselves while they run?
Kate (What Kate is Cooking) recently posted..Why I’m Running the Chicago Marathon

2 Gina @Runningtothekitchen May 14, 2011 at 10:17 am

Kate- totally agree! I was going to say the same thing in my comment. You feel so vain staring at yourself the entire time but, there’s no where else to look b/c then you’re staring at other people and that’s even worse!
Gina @Runningtothekitchen recently posted..A day of eats on the road

3 Liv @ The Salty n' Sweet May 14, 2011 at 12:55 pm

I kinda like zoning out to just staring at my legs move. It’s definitely better than staring at a wall!!

And I think it’s actually helped me improve my form. I noticed my feet rotating inwards, so I tried to make them go straight lol.

But I’d much prefer a TV set to Ellen!
Liv @ The Salty n’ Sweet recently posted..Life Cafe

4 Run.Learn.Repeat May 14, 2011 at 10:21 am

Hey I just found your blog and added it to my blog list. Hope you don’t mind! :) I sympathize with you on getting stuck on the boring treadmill when there’s a new gorgeous place to run in! I hate that! Vacations always seem to have the best places to run, but they’re always the places I’m most nervous to run in by myself. Probably because I got lost for over an hour once when I did decide to run alone in a new place. It was so scary. I didn’t even know the address of where I was trying to get back to so I couldn’t ask for directions! Now I stick to the treadmill in times like that. Better safe than sorry right?

5 Hats @ See How She Runs May 14, 2011 at 10:25 am

I just dislike the treadmill in general. Shame you couldn’t find someone to run with. The only time I’ve gone for a run alone in a new area was a few weeks ago. I roughly knew it (we walked around a bit on our way to a restaurant the night before) – plus I wanted to run along the street that Hugh Laurie (House) lives on!
Hats @ See How She Runs recently posted..A Quick Sweat

6 Holly @ The Runny Egg May 14, 2011 at 10:30 am

I hate running on a treadmill in front of a mirror too — I end up trying to correct my posture or how my legs look instead of just focusing on running.

I still have 2 packets of Rokit Fuel that I haven’t tried — you reminded me to use them one of these days!
Holly @ The Runny Egg recently posted..Pizza Bread

7 Jamie Sometimes Healthy Girl May 14, 2011 at 10:46 am

Oh I totally feel you on running in a new town. I always want to explore but I agree that you should always have a buddy. I went for a short run in Houston by myself but only because EVERYONE assured me the path was idiot-proof and safe. haha. I hate staring at myself in the mirror too when running! And I agree with ya on the hotel breakfasts. They are the besssst :-)
Jamie Sometimes Healthy Girl recently posted..Girl vs Spaghetti Squash – Round 2- Nach-yo Typical Spag Squash

8 Katie @ Nourishing Flourishing May 14, 2011 at 11:02 am

Congratulations to your (Dr.) broham!!! Woo! :) Enjoy your family time.
Katie @ Nourishing Flourishing recently posted..Good Company

9 Emily @ Savory and Savage May 14, 2011 at 11:55 am

Ugh, I hate running on the treadmill – the only saving grace – my Y has treadmills that have built in TV/music access.

Grats to your ‘bro on his graduation!
Emily @ Savory and Savage recently posted..Sister time

10 Sophie May 14, 2011 at 12:10 pm

The gym that I sometimes use is 24hours and has treadmills looking out over the busiest part of the city centre….so you can watch the hustle and bustle of a night out, instead of yourself getting increasily sweaty and disgusting!

Also, I DEFINITELY need to start being organised enough to pack some brekkie when I travel!

Hope you, Dr twin bro and the family have a great time! :D
Sophie recently posted..Friday Treats- Theatre &amp Tavistock

11 Alaina May 14, 2011 at 12:49 pm

Yeah to your brother!!! Very exciting.

Usually when I run on a treadmill, I focus on a point that’s NOT my face. Thankfully my music helps pass the time. :-)
Alaina recently posted..5 Napkin Burger

12 Emily @ Perfection Isn't Happy May 14, 2011 at 1:01 pm

It’s always kind of awkward to workout in front of a mirror. I find that I start to people watch, then remember that they can probably see me looking at them in the mirror. Then I just look like a creeper, and that’s not good :).
Emily @ Perfection Isn’t Happy recently posted..Change is a funny thing

13 Krystina (Organically Me) May 14, 2011 at 1:15 pm

I would have ran with you :D
Krystina (Organically Me) recently posted..On Losing It- and Gaining It Weight- Happiness- and Peace- Part III

14 Elena @ GagaForGrapefruit May 14, 2011 at 1:30 pm

wooo congrats to him!
Elena @ GagaForGrapefruit recently posted..in an instant

15 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey May 14, 2011 at 1:56 pm

I love exploring in new cities! I contantly go running off when I’m in a new place. perhaps not the best idea, but I’ve got a great sense of direction. :)
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..food phases

16 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife May 14, 2011 at 2:23 pm

yah! So exciting for your brother! That is a great idea to sign up for the rewards……thanks :)

17 Mac May 14, 2011 at 2:31 pm

I had that same problem when I went to New Orleans, I was ready to run, but no partners. I agree it’s better to be safe than sorry in a new big city.
Mac recently posted..Unusal Things Spiced Bananas Recipe

18 Jenny @ Fitness Health and Food May 14, 2011 at 2:37 pm

What a great healthy way to travel! So sorry nobody wanted to run with you :)

I went to the gym for the first time in a while today as the weather was bad and it was not nearly as fun as getting out and exploring!
Congrats to your twin! :)

19 Karolina May 14, 2011 at 2:50 pm

I am definitely not a fan of treadmill running. I can do the elliptical in place, but running in place drives me crazy. Your breakfast looks delicious and healthy!
Karolina recently posted..When Tomorrow Comes

20 Kiran @ KiranTarun.com May 14, 2011 at 3:16 pm

Treadmill is better, than nothing at all ;)
Kiran @ KiranTarun.com recently posted..NASA Day 2 scrubbed!

21 Katy (The Singing Runner) May 14, 2011 at 3:50 pm

Ah how fun! :)

22 Miranda @ Working Mom Works Out May 14, 2011 at 4:13 pm

I wouldn’t run in a big city alone either.

Enjoy your bro’s graduation!!
Miranda @ Working Mom Works Out recently posted..Pity Party Day

23 Chad @ thebreakupnote May 14, 2011 at 5:23 pm

I hate mirrors all over gyms… especially in front workout machines. it’s too weird.
Chad @ thebreakupnote recently posted..Recipe- Raspberry and Blueberry Spelt Bread

24 Emma (Namaste Everyday) May 14, 2011 at 7:51 pm

i love free breakfast! and free internet! lucky you. and at least you did some activity!
Emma (Namaste Everyday) recently posted..“And now for the Dancing Pants”

25 Melissa @ TryingToHeal May 14, 2011 at 11:40 pm

ah, too bad i still didn’t live in miami! i totally would have showed you some great places to run!
Melissa @ TryingToHeal recently posted..Just One More

26 Hilary May 15, 2011 at 1:49 am

Nice mixing and matching! I did that myself at the airport on Friday.
Hilary recently posted..Travel Day Eats