Miami is Very Far from Tampa

by Meghann on May 13, 2011

We finally made it!

Hellloooooo Miami!

My original belief that Tampa was the same distance away from Miami as Orlando was terribly, terribly wrong. Turns out Tampa is about two hours farther, which means we were in the car for 6 hours instead of the estimated 4. Oopss.

No worries. Give me a camera, a computer, and an outlet to the outside world via twitter access on my phone and I’m golden.

Oh, and a stop at Starbucks for a Grande Ice Coffee with Soymilk helps too.

Can you believe Derek wasn’t a fan?

He said it tasted too much like coffee. The boy prefers his drinks sweet!

We weren’t far into our trip when my bladder started swishing and my stomach started grumbling. We stopped at an uber-nice Publix and grabbed subs for lunch.

I got a Solsolito Turkey with no cheese and all the veggies (minus the green peppers – yuck!) plus oregano (next time you get a sub at Publix ask for oregano, trust me – it’s good!).

One more hour of driving later….

I had a cookie.

Two more hours after that…

IMG_6633.jpg

Derek and I had some Plantain chips.

And I began to go stir crazy.

Ok, enough self portraits. πŸ™‚

SInce we were running a tad behind, Derek and I pulled up to the hotel just as all the family members were heading out the dinner. We did a quick drop off of the luggage at the hotel and joined them in the Miami people mover to reach our final destination.

I’ve been to Miami several times since my brother moved here four years ago, but this was my first experience with their public transportation.

The people mover was clean, quick, and air conditioned. We all were fans by the end of the night. πŸ™‚

The people mover dropped us off right at the restaurant my brother had made reservations at for dinner.

The table started with Edamame.

Seasonal beer?

Don’t mind if I do.

Cheers Josh!

Gordon Biersch is a nationwide cain with several franchise locations around the country, but I thought it as a great location for a diverse crowd like ours. The menu had a TON of options – there was literally something for everyone, including the vegetarians.

I wasn’t terribly hungry, so I went with the Tapas Starter.

Holy Garlic Overload Batman!

And a side of grilled asparagus.

That little bit of asparagus was $3? Yeah, I don’t get it either. :/

The meal ended with mini desserts. I had the mini apple bread pudding. You know, to help with the garlic breath. πŸ˜‰

Then we did what tourist do and explored.

IMG_5248.JPG IMG_5250.JPG

One of the Kiosk people asked Derek if his ‘wife’ wanted a photo with a parrot.

hehe

We didn’t last long exploring. It’s only 11 and Derek is already happily passed out in bed with his glasses still on and lightly snoring. Sorry Miami, we’ll try to do right by you tomorrow.

FOr now, I’m going to join Derek.

Good Night!

1 Christine @ Merf In Progress May 13, 2011 at 11:18 pm

I absolutely love Miami. And Gordon Biersch!!! Have a great time!
Christine @ Merf In Progress recently posted..Fit Happens

2 Liv @ The Salty n' Sweet May 13, 2011 at 11:22 pm

LOL yea, my boyfriend really hates my soy iced coffees. He actually hates the taste of coffee and prefers his manly strawberry frappucinos!! Btw, I love the look of disgust on Derek’s face after his first sip bahahah.

I’m so jealous of your never-ending supply of cookies!! And those plantain chips! I never knew that they were sold in bags like potato chips!

Miami looks like a blast, but do they really call the public transportation “people movers”?
Liv @ The Salty n’ Sweet recently posted..Life Cafe

3 Karolina May 13, 2011 at 11:22 pm

I get stir crazy pretty quickly in the car too. I feel trapped and then I get bored. Phones with internet access are a little lifesaver:)
Karolina recently posted..When Tomorrow Comes

4 Jenny @ Fitness Health and Food May 13, 2011 at 11:27 pm

oh how great that you can all get together!

My family was 2 boys and 2 girls as well πŸ™‚ Have a great time and congrats to your brother! πŸ™‚

5 michelle May 13, 2011 at 11:32 pm

I just started drinking regular coffee about a month ago and have yet to explore more “fancy” coffee type drinks
michelle recently posted..Days like this

6 Molly May 14, 2011 at 5:12 am

Iced coffee is hardly a “fancy” drink

7 Emma (Namaste Everyday) May 13, 2011 at 11:53 pm

glad the trip started off with a lot of fun! I love a cheap veggie sub. nothing beats it! cookies help with car rides, too πŸ˜‰
Emma (Namaste Everyday) recently posted..β€œAnd now for the Dancing Pants”

8 Kate (What Kate is Cooking) May 13, 2011 at 11:59 pm

Iced coffee with soy milk is my new obsession!
Kate (What Kate is Cooking) recently posted..Why I’m Running the Chicago Marathon

9 Stephanie @ StephSnacks May 14, 2011 at 12:14 am

What a fun trip! I have never been to Miami and desperately want to go! Oh, and Starbucks iced coffee with soy milk is my absolute favorite πŸ™‚
Stephanie @ StephSnacks recently posted..Happy Friday!

10 Holly @ The Runny Egg May 14, 2011 at 12:27 am

I am with you 100% about the oregano on subs — I used to work for Cousins Subs when I was in high school and we put oregano on everything and it tasted so good!
Holly @ The Runny Egg recently posted..Pizza Bread

11 Kaitlyn @ 7 Plates May 14, 2011 at 12:28 am

Looks like a good day! You & your camera take nice shots! πŸ™‚
Kaitlyn @ 7 Plates recently posted..My Junior Year of College

12 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife May 14, 2011 at 12:47 am

mmm I love subs from good grocery stores! Looks like it was a fab day. Best of luck to your brother tomorrow!

13 Alaina May 14, 2011 at 1:38 am

My gosh, that cookie looks ginormous!

That restaurant definitely looks like someplace I’d like to go to.
Alaina recently posted..5 Napkin Burger

14 katie May 14, 2011 at 6:52 am

I do like Miami! Fun place to visit for sure!

Congrats to your brother tomorrow!!! I bet his fiancee is so proud of him too!! He now Dr. Fiance !!!

Your family is just so cute! I love how close you guys all are, if you don’t have family, you don’t have anything , thats what I say : )

Have a great day!!
katie recently posted..Tell All Thursday

15 Brenna [fabuleuxdestin] May 14, 2011 at 7:14 am

I love Miami have so much fun and congrats to your bro!
Brenna [fabuleuxdestin] recently posted..Older…but wiser

16 Tracey May 14, 2011 at 7:42 am

Welcome to Miami! You are right in my ‘hood – I live right down the street from Bayside! Let me know if you need anything although your brother probably knows more places in town than I do since I just moved here a few months ago. Enjoy.

17 Allison @ Will Run For Candy May 14, 2011 at 7:59 am

Derek’s face after the iced coffee is PRICELESS! It’s that “what did you just feed me, you crazy woman?” look.

Thanks for keeping it real, Meghann. Have fun in Miami!
Allison @ Will Run For Candy recently posted..Why traveling is scarier than half marathons

18 The Teenage Taste May 14, 2011 at 8:42 am

Have a great time in Miami! πŸ˜€
The Teenage Taste recently posted..Erika’s Favorite Green Monster

19 Kat May 14, 2011 at 9:01 am

I haven’t been to Miami in FOREVER, it looks like you guys are having fun! That little shot of apple bread pudding looks delicious πŸ™‚
Kat recently posted..New Theme- Vertigo

20 Miranda @ Working Mom Works Out May 14, 2011 at 9:05 am

My husband is the SAME way. He gets mochas. Which taste like straight sugar to me. Yuck.

That cookie is GINORMOUS!!! Looks like a good time. Enjoy your familiy!
Miranda @ Working Mom Works Out recently posted..Pity Party Day

21 Courtney May 14, 2011 at 9:43 am

the people mover! haha I love that name πŸ˜›
Courtney recently posted..Hmm…

22 Kristen May 14, 2011 at 9:45 am

Love iced coffee in the summertime πŸ™‚

Did you know Starbuck’s is having “happy hour” from 3-5 everyday (thru tomorrow) for 1/2 priced Frappaccino’s!? I plan to to take full advantage!

I think “wife” fits you nicely πŸ˜‰

23 Erin May 14, 2011 at 10:06 am

Hahahah! The only thing I remember about my meal at the Gordon Biersch in D.C. was the garlic! I had the garlic fries and I think they had literally an entire bulb of garlic diced up and sprinkled on them. Whew.
Erin recently posted..Fast as Lightning

24 Alison @ The Peacock Diaries May 14, 2011 at 11:38 am

I’ve done the trip from Miami to Orlando in a car, and that seemed endless (and actually, it was a van and I was very squished). Two more hours on top of that? Yikes. Glad you made it!

And I’d forgotten about the People Mover! I am partial to the one at WDW (paging Mr. Morrow, Mr. Tom Morrow)….but this one is pretty good as far as actual transportation goes. πŸ˜‰
Alison @ The Peacock Diaries recently posted..A little quiet

25 emily May 14, 2011 at 12:23 pm

Awww, Bayside! I think your weekend posts are going to make me miss my Miami days πŸ˜€

I’m sure your brother knows what’s up, but you guys should check out Monty’s if you get a chance (good food, goooood drinks, great view).
emily recently posted..Friday the Thirteenth

26 Sarah May 16, 2011 at 8:40 am

I love Gordon Biersch! We have a few up here in the DC area and the beer and food are excellent. Try the grilled fish tacos next time, they’re amazing!
Sarah recently posted..Something Different