Flying with Aerial Silk

by Meghann on May 12, 2011

Just when I think I’ve done it all in Orlando….

…. I realize I haven’t done a thing. :)

You may be asking yourself – What the heck is she doing?

Oh, just a little Aerial Silk action at Orlando Aerial Arts.

Pretty cool, right?

I mean..

No biggie.

I do it all the time.

I was born to fly with Aerial Silks. 😉

Lies, all lies!

But, it’s fun to pretend, like I know what I’m doing.

Earlier this week Katy had forwarded a Living Social deal my way for aerial silk classes at Orlando Aerial Arts. My first thought was ‘How COOL is that?!?!’ My second was ‘Where has this place been hiding?!?! We have to film a Meals and Miles show there ASAP!’

So, that’s exactly what we did!

I brought the IzonOrlando crew along to film and I took the 7:30 intro class.

With the help of a couple of friends of course. 😉

I love that Kelly and Katy are always down for an adventure. 😉

And, TRUST ME, this class was an adventure!

We climbed, we hung upside down, we flipped, we laughed, we grunted, we had FUN.

Playing on the silks was just like playing on a jungle gym, only I don’t remember my arms hurting as much to do flips when I was younger! It requires a TON of upper body strength and I know my arms are going to be hurting in the morning.

I’m not going to lie – this was A LOT harder than I thought it was going to me. All the advanced girls made it looks SO easy! It’s not.

Luckily, the instructors were AMAZING and always had our backs.

It took a while, but eventually everyone got the hang of it.

Kelly wins for superstar of the night. Proof that strength training does pay off.

Go, Kelly, Go!

You’ll have to tune into next week’s episode of Meals and Miles to learn more about the awesomeness of Aerial Silks! Trust me, it will be an episode not to be missed!

Before the class I fueled up with a Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Larabar.

And after class I was STARVING. Luckily I discovered a Chick-Fil-A on my way home.

I <3 their Chicken and Fruit Salad. It may be my favorite fast food salad ever invented.

It’s great in a pinch and was just what I needed to fill my belly for the long drive home.

At home I had a cookie. :)

I am WIPED. Time for bed.

1 CH May 12, 2011 at 11:52 pm

That looks insanely fun! As a former gymnast, I bet I would love it!

2 Kaitlyn @ 7 Plates May 12, 2011 at 11:55 pm

Looks like a fun day! I didn’t even know that salad existed. I will have to try it!
Kaitlyn @ 7 Plates recently posted..My Junior Year of College

3 Kate (What Kate is Cooking) May 12, 2011 at 11:56 pm

Oh my goodness, I am getting dizzy just seeing those pictures!
Kate (What Kate is Cooking) recently posted..Why I’m Running the Chicago Marathon

4 Alayna @ Thyme Bombe May 13, 2011 at 12:13 am

I have always wanted to try that but I never knew what it was called! Time to search for aerial silk classes in Atlanta…
Alayna @ Thyme Bombe recently posted..Seattle- Japanese gardens and Arboretum

5 Morgan @ moments of mmm May 13, 2011 at 12:28 am

Wow, that is quite amazing! I can’t imagine that I could ever hold myself upside down like that. GO YOU!
Morgan @ moments of mmm recently posted..Recipe Remix

6 Krystina (Organically Me) May 13, 2011 at 12:30 am

Orlando never ceases to amaze me.
Krystina (Organically Me) recently posted..On Losing It- and Gaining It Weight- Happiness- and Peace- Part II

7 Laura May 13, 2011 at 2:26 am

How does the Meals and Miles show work? Is it part of a wider network that you’re contracted to? And is it a TV channel as well as a web show? Do you have to come up with your own concept each week? (Excuse the not-an-American clueless!)

8 Liv @ The Salty n' Sweet May 13, 2011 at 2:45 am

Phew I don’t know if I could handle hanging upside down for so long! I hate when the blood rushes to my head. But man, that must be an awesome workout!
Liv @ The Salty n’ Sweet recently posted..Go for It

9 Hats @ See How She Runs May 13, 2011 at 4:41 am

Wow, this looks like loads of fun! I visit London’s Millennium Dome during the year it was open and watched an acrobatic performance where they incorporated aerial silk. It was amazing to watch – just like ballet, the performers made it look so effortless and easy (and they were high, HIGH up too!).
Hats @ See How She Runs recently posted..Update 1

10 Jumanah @ Healthy Living in the Middle East May 13, 2011 at 4:58 am

What a crazy fun looking class! My upper body strength is terrible- I could never do something like this! Kelly looks like she has been doing this for years!

11 Emma (Namaste Everyday) May 13, 2011 at 5:02 am

HOW COOL IS THAT!!!! I love trying out new things for workouts, but this one takes the cake! here I am thinking kayaking is an exotic way to work out!
Emma (Namaste Everyday) recently posted..“And now for the Dancing Pants”

12 Brenna [fabuleuxdestin] May 13, 2011 at 5:52 am

That looks like so much fun! I just went to a show last night with acrobats. I was AMAZED! These people were so muscular and talented! Not one inch of body fat. Definitely inspiring. You look great up there Meghann!
Brenna [fabuleuxdestin] recently posted..Older…but wiser

13 Christine @ Burning It Off May 13, 2011 at 6:19 am

That looks really challenging! You girls must have crazy upper body strength to be able to flip yourselves around like that. I would’ve been terrified of landing on my hand lol…
Christine @ Burning It Off recently posted..A Protein Shake That Doesn’t Taste Like @

14 Christine @ Burning It Off May 13, 2011 at 6:19 am

^^^ I mean *head*

15 Lauren May 13, 2011 at 6:45 am

That sounds like so much fun! And also a great workout. You seriously have the best job! :)
Lauren recently posted..Green Grass- Flowers- and Pollen- OH MY!

16 Ali May 13, 2011 at 7:11 am

Good for you girls for trying it out! I took an aerial silks class a few weeks ago and felt SO nauseous the entire time. Hanging upside down = not my thing. Glad you enjoyed it!
Ali recently posted..Thankful Things Thursday- Good Advice &amp Brussels Sprouts

17 Kathryn May 13, 2011 at 7:32 am

I almost bought that deal! That looks awesome..can’t wait to see the episode!!! I think I might just have to try it when I move to Orlando in June :)

18 Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun May 13, 2011 at 7:33 am

How fun! And CFA is the only fast food I will eat besides Subway. I think they have pretty good stuff too. That salad definitely being one.
Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun recently posted..Self-Love Reflection- Stop Fat Talk

19 Holly @ The Runny Egg May 13, 2011 at 7:44 am

That looks like so much fun! I can imagine your arms would be hurting!
Holly @ The Runny Egg recently posted..Pizza Bread

20 Hope May 13, 2011 at 8:16 am

Wow! That is pretty cool! I don’t think I would ever be able to do that! So I definitely praise you for trying it! I can imagine that your arms will be sore today but I bet it was worth it! :)

I love Chick-fil-A! They have such good food there!
Hope recently posted..Upscale McDonald’s…

21 Dina @ DinaRuns May 13, 2011 at 8:30 am

I saw that deal on Living Social and was intrigued. Looking at the site and seeing that they are kind of on my way home from work and they have evening classes, I think I will give it a try. Thanks for the inspiration to try new things!
Dina @ DinaRuns recently posted..Weekend

22 Leslie May 13, 2011 at 8:31 am

That is so awesome!!!!! I’m totally gonna check if we have one in Miami!! Looks like tons of fun!

Can’t wait to see the episode!

23 Casey May 13, 2011 at 8:36 am

O man, jealoussss!!! I’ve always wanted to try this.
Casey recently posted..Jason’s deli gets an a and I get new books

24 Heather May 13, 2011 at 8:53 am

that looks so awesome and SO HARD! I would be awful at it I’m sure! can’t wait to see the episode!
Heather recently posted..Working Muscles

25 miranda @ working mom works out May 13, 2011 at 9:24 am

That looks fun and really difficult!

And chick-fil-a does have good salads.

26 wendy sue May 13, 2011 at 9:31 am

oh I have always wanted to try an aerials class and a trapeze class too!

27 Jenny @ Fitness Health and Food May 13, 2011 at 9:32 am

The looks like so much fun! :) what a great activity to feature on your show!

I would love to try it :)

28 Ash @ Good Taste Healthy Me May 13, 2011 at 9:39 am

What a fun adventure!
Ash @ Good Taste Healthy Me recently posted..Flashed by an Old Lady

29 Little Bookworm May 13, 2011 at 9:40 am

That looks amazing, and as other commenters said, difficult! Looking forward to the Meals and Miles episode! :)
Little Bookworm recently posted..A Photo Essay of Sorts

30 Katy (The Singing Runner) May 13, 2011 at 9:43 am

Ah! That looks like so much fun! :)
Katy (The Singing Runner) recently posted..A Day Through The Lens

31 Michelle May 13, 2011 at 10:01 am

Ah! They do this with the FSU Circus! My friend took the circus class and this is what she learned. So jealous. I wish I could go back and take it!

I’m pretty sure I would be in serious pain after doing this — though it looks like an awesome total body workout.
Michelle recently posted..Five for Friday- Ben

32 Courtney May 13, 2011 at 10:12 am

WHAAAAA? You are so cray cray. That looks rad!
Courtney recently posted..I graduated!

33 Tori (Fresh Fruition) May 13, 2011 at 10:14 am

That looks like such fun! I’ve always thought that looked so graceful.
Tori (Fresh Fruition) recently posted..Moving Out and Mushroom Burgers

34 Biz May 13, 2011 at 10:51 am

How fun is that?! Glad you had a great time 😀

35 Gina @Runningtothekitchen May 13, 2011 at 10:59 am

I miss Chick-fil-A sooo much! My one fast food addiction and there are none north of NJ :(
I’ve always thought those silks looks incredibly hard when you see them in shows and stuff. I’m sure it was a blast trying them out!
Gina @Runningtothekitchen recently posted..A day of eats on the road

36 Halley (Blunder Construction) May 13, 2011 at 11:13 am

How in the world do you still have M&M cookies left? Your will power amazes me.
Halley (Blunder Construction) recently posted..Compound Desserts

37 Meghann May 13, 2011 at 11:53 am

There’s still half a dozen left, but I’m the only one eating them! I thought living with a guy meant cookies weren’t suppose to to last here?

38 Beth @ Boston2Berkeley May 13, 2011 at 12:23 pm

I did Aerial for a couple of months back when I still lived in Boston. It’s an incredible strength workout. Our instructor was totally jacked. I think it’s funny that when you watch someone do it, your initial reaction is “I can totally do that too!” and then you get up there and realize how much strength it requires just to hold yourself up, much less to actually do something pretty! I’m looking forward to that episode of your show :)
Beth @ Boston2Berkeley recently posted..When You are Craving Veggies…

39 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife May 13, 2011 at 1:47 pm

OH my that looks like incredible FUN!! I love it :)

40 Shannon May 13, 2011 at 3:16 pm

That looks amazingly fun! I really really want to try it. Looks like you had a lot of fun.
Shannon recently posted..Summer Fun Is Starting Already

41 Karolina May 13, 2011 at 9:01 pm

This looks amazing and FUN! I’m fairly sure I do not have enough upper body strength to do well at that at all, but it would be fun to try.

42 Audrey May 14, 2011 at 10:11 pm

We have silks in our high schools movement room, along with 7 unicylcles, a rock climbing wall, balance beam, and a few other odd stuff. I go to a Waldorf high school, so our “PE” is a little different than others’. The silks are kinda intimidating at first, but really fun once the falling-on-your-butt-part of learning is over. 😀

43 Sarah K May 15, 2011 at 12:10 am

Ahh I’m so jealous you got to do something like this. I’ve always wanted to try silks!!
Sarah K recently posted..The Geek in Me