more ยป" />

Rollin’ Oats

by Meghann on May 11, 2011

Guess who remembered her wallet today?

This girl! :)

I had a lovely Summer Breeze Iced Tea while soaking in the free wifi and working the afternoon away. Sorry about the minor blog melt down earlier today. The server was down for a minute which caused some really funky hiccups with the blog. Everything should be fixed now. *fingers crossed*

Once my computer ran out of of juice (that’s how I gage when I’ve been at a coffee shop way too long), I nibbled on a serving of trail mix…

and headed to Rolin’ Oats.

As much as I love Whole Foods, there’s something to be said about local health food stores. Usually they have a heavier emphasis on local products, a hot bar and deli that seems a tad fresher, a personal approach to marketing, and they really care about their customers. It just seems more personal and approachable.

I had a ball exploring Rollin’ Oats! They had some fun items I’ve never seen before and couldn’t wait to try. I had no problem leaving with a bag full of goodies.

Maybe, remembering my wallet wasn’t such a good thing after all. ;)

After surveying the abundance of choices I now had, I decided to try out the Sami’s Bakery Millet & Flax Pizza Crust for dinner.

Sami’s Bakery is a local bakery that specializes in gluten-free and low carb bread. I’ve only seen their stuff in local health stores, but I know it’s good! I made sure to stock up on a few items, including the crust. :)

I also bought some meatballs that I knew would make a delicious, protein packed pizza topping.

The flax pizza crust was for me, but the meatballs were for Derek.

Other toppings:

• Pizza Sauce
  • Okra
  • Mozzarella
  • Parmesan
  • Onion
  • Mushrooms

In the oven at 375 for 20 minutes

Check out that bubbly cheese

I had 1/4 of the pizza with a beer

This wasn’t any ole beer. This was THE Chocolate Stout I fell in love with at Foozbuzz Festival this year. I nearly jumped for joy when I saw it at Rollin Oats.

IMG_5080.jpg

The pizza was great. The crust has a nice crispiness to it and the toppings exploded with flavor.

Nothing better than pizza and beer. :)

Then a sour mood moved in. Darn you sour mood!

I ate a cookie.

More beer would have been better. :/

Oh well.

I need to find someplace to board Maddie in Tampa for the weekend, any suggestions?

1 Jenny @ Fitness Health and Food May 11, 2011 at 9:36 pm

ohh meatball pizza sounds sooo yummmy! :) I love the look of that crust as well.

I wish I could help you with suggestions for miss maddie, I only know of boarders in the chicago area.

2 Holly @ The Runny Egg May 11, 2011 at 9:36 pm

That pizza looks delicious — good call on the chopped meatballs as a good topping!

3 Katy (The Singing Runner) May 11, 2011 at 9:37 pm

Chocolate Stout? Sounds interesting for this new 21 year old. ;)

If you needed Maddie to be watched next weekend I totally would have volunteered. I’m going to be in the area next weekend! Hope you find some place for her soon!

4 Hats @ See How She Runs May 12, 2011 at 6:01 am

Definitely try one if you can. Very tasty! Also if you find you like dark and heavy beers, try a porter. I’ve had vanilla before (yeah, I still rave about it even though it was last year) and I’ve also seen a coffee one which sounds good.

5 Dawn @ Blonde on a Mission May 11, 2011 at 9:39 pm

Chocolate…..Beer? I have never been so intrigued. The pizza looks awesome, & I agree with you on local health food stores. There’s always some interesting gems to find in there!

6 Emily May 11, 2011 at 9:42 pm

The pizza looks delicious! I like chocolate beer, but lately I can’t get enough apricot ale! It’s so tasty and perfect for summer :)

7 jodie May 11, 2011 at 9:43 pm

I love all their products., I buy them often. You should try the Millet and Flax bread. It is yummy.

8 Jessica @ The Process of Healing May 11, 2011 at 9:46 pm

That pizza sounds amazing! And I could go for some beer right now :)

9 River May 11, 2011 at 9:48 pm

That’s a huge amount you bought! haha.

That pizza looks so yummy.

10 Krissie J May 11, 2011 at 9:54 pm

I have had chocolate stout before, but not that brand! Stouts are probably my second favorite kind of beer (after IPAs). I’ll have to keep any eye out for that one! If you’re ever in the Philly, I recommend Eulogy in Olde City. They have a fantastic beer selection (over 200) and the food is pretty good, too.

11 Val May 11, 2011 at 9:58 pm

Fuzzie Buddies is a great place for boarding!! It is in ybor and you can check out the prices on their website.

12 Kristy @ KristyRuns May 11, 2011 at 9:59 pm

my husband just saw your pizza and said “oooh! what’s that?!?!” it’s mark approved and looks delicious! i love the hooker tea company! definitely stopping by there on sunday morning when i’m in st. pete! :)

13 Kat May 11, 2011 at 10:00 pm

I recognize those field roast dogs!! They make them here in Seattle. Did you get the chipotle flavor? It’s the best, especially with some cream cheese smeared on the bun!

14 Meghann May 12, 2011 at 6:19 am

I just bought them because I’ve heard so many good things about the Field Roast sausages. I haven’t tried them yet. :)

15 Miranda @ Working Mom Works Out May 11, 2011 at 10:01 pm

Was this crust gluten free?

16 Hannah (Running In Freedom) May 11, 2011 at 10:07 pm

I wish I could watch Maddie this weekend! But I just got my own Jack Russell puppy and my mom would probably kill me ;) I’m sure everything will work out!

17 McKayla (green groats) May 11, 2011 at 10:12 pm

With a name like Rollin’ Oats, it’s got to be good! I’m with you on the love for the local health food stores. I just discovered a new one in my area!

The pizza looks AWESOME too :)

18 Ashley May 11, 2011 at 10:30 pm

Sounds like a great store! I love my local health food store, but they run low on inventory a lot which bugs me.

19 Liv @ The Salty n' Sweet May 11, 2011 at 10:34 pm

Oh wow look at that grocery haul!! I love my local health food store. They’re always really friendly, and have the most unique products.

Yummmm…CHEESE!

20 Kacy May 11, 2011 at 10:36 pm

I love a good chocolate stout!

21 Caroline May 11, 2011 at 10:48 pm

I love Rollin’ Oats! I live right by the one in St Pete. If the Tampa one has a cafe, you should try one of the sandwiches next time. So yummy!

22 Meghann May 12, 2011 at 6:20 am

It does have a cafe! I’m going to have to go there for lunch sometime.

23 Krystina (Organically Me) May 11, 2011 at 10:57 pm

Chocolate stout is definitely one of my favorite beers.

24 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife May 11, 2011 at 11:30 pm

mmm I LOVE homemade pizza. Had some last night!

25 Amy May 11, 2011 at 11:44 pm

Oh that crust looks so good! Good luck with Maddie :/

26 Alaina May 11, 2011 at 11:57 pm

That pizza looks amazing! It’s definitely making me crave a gooey, cheesy pizza right about now.

27 Sara May 12, 2011 at 12:45 am

That pizza looks amazing. So does the cookie, I do not knoe how you only eat one at a time, impossible for me!

28 Brenna [fabuleuxdestin] May 12, 2011 at 3:10 am

Yum! I see you got Amy’s burritos. They are my favorite things!

29 Hats @ See How She Runs May 12, 2011 at 5:58 am

Oh that’s so weird, I had a chocolate stout at the weekend! Young’s Double Chocolate Stout to be exact. It was good. Not as good as a vanilla porter I had last year though – I still dream about it, it was divine. I could murder a beer and a slice of pizza right now. Should I admit that when it’s only 11am?

I love Amy’s burritos and the Indian wraps. Have you tried the enchiladas?

30 Meghann May 12, 2011 at 6:21 am

I haven’t. I like the burritos too, they’re a great quick meal option.

31 Hats @ See How She Runs May 12, 2011 at 10:26 am

They’re good but I do prefer the burritos. I need to eat Mexican more often!

32 Jessica May 12, 2011 at 6:22 am

When I lived in Tampa, Rollin Oats was my favorite store! I used to buy everything there except vegetables (those I bought at the market on Macdill and Swan that’s open daily- 29 cents a pound for bananas!) and it would take me so long each time because I wanted to explore! I hope you wake up this morning feeling better! :)

33 Jessica @ Sushi & Sit-Ups May 12, 2011 at 6:41 am

Mmm I love Sam Adams chocolate stout. Might have to try this one!

34 Hope May 12, 2011 at 8:14 am

That pizza looks delicious! I love making homemade pizzas. They always taste so much better than frozen or ones from a restuarant.

Chocolate stout beer?! That sounds fabulous! I definitely need to try it!

35 Ash @ Good Taste Healthy Me May 12, 2011 at 9:48 am

Wow you got tons of goodies! That pizza looks crazy awesome!

36 Amanda @ Eating Up May 12, 2011 at 9:55 am

I love local health food stores too! What fun!

37 sarah (sarah learns) May 12, 2011 at 10:17 am

haha, that cookie looks gigantic on that little plate! :) love it!

your dinner looks fabulous too. rollin’ oats sound like a dangerous place to shop!

38 Lauren May 12, 2011 at 12:37 pm

I love local health food stores. There’s one in Syracuse called Nature Tyme, and whenever I visit my parents I have to go there. Sadly, I can’t bring too much back home because I’m usually traveling by plane. Boo.

Your chocolate stout reminded me that I need to try one again. The last time I had a chocolate stout was at a bar in Brooklyn called Barcade. They always have a lot of interesting, semi-local beers, and I really liked the chocolate stout for about four sips. Then it got a little heavy. Perhaps I should try when again when I haven’t eaten dinner, like, ten minutes earlier. :)

39 Laura May 12, 2011 at 12:37 pm

The Lodge for dogs in New Tampa is like the Creme de la Creme of kennels :) Im sure Maddie deserves the best !

40 Meghann May 12, 2011 at 1:17 pm

Thanks for the tip Laura!

41 Jenny (Fit Girl Foodie) May 12, 2011 at 7:23 pm

Wow that pizza looks incredible :D