Brick it Out

by Meghann on May 11, 2011

Training. Buddies. Are. Awesome.

I met my new cycling friend Courtney (whose running the Florida Half Ironman on Sunday!) for a ‘mini brick’ this morning.

We met at the trailhead just after 7:00am and took off for a 16 mile bike ride followed by a 3 mile run.

We took both the ride and run with a relaxed approach. We kept an average 13mph pace on the bike and spent the entire time talking. After a quick shoe change at the car, we finished off with a 3 mile run at a 9:15 pace.

I really like having Courtney around to help me train, especially since she’s been through it before! It’s like having a friend on the inside. πŸ™‚

My stomach was really grumbling on the way home. The 20 minute drive mixed with a grumbling belly allowed me to get a little creative in anticipation for breakfast.

Smoothie In a Jar πŸ™‚

I had an almost empty jar of peanut butter and some left over smoothie from the batch I made yesterday. I simply combined the two and threw in a 1/2 cup of Kashi Go Lean Crisp for kicks.

The results were really fruity and delicious, it was like combining all my favorite things into one! Of course, the favorite part was scraping the bottom of the jar with my spoon to get all the extra bits of peanut butter sticking to the side. πŸ™‚

Have a Great Wednesday!

1 Samantha Angela May 11, 2011 at 10:36 am

That’s so great that you have a training buddy! I need one of those for my marathon training I think, to keep my spirits up.

2 katieRUNSthis May 11, 2011 at 10:42 am

I’ve got a mini brick this evening myself! I’ll be riding 15 miles and then heading out for a 5k run. We’ll see how that goes. πŸ™‚ Good idea on tossing food into the peanut butter jar! I’ll have to try that. I love scraping the bottom of the pb jar!
katieRUNSthis recently posted..Day 1- Operation Dairy-Free

3 Holly @ The Runny Egg May 11, 2011 at 10:43 am

Sounds like a great workout — it is nice to have a workout buddy who knows what they are doing!
Holly @ The Runny Egg recently posted..Pizza Bread

4 jamie.hamburg@gmail.com May 11, 2011 at 10:46 am

Smoothie in a jar! So cuteeeee! I agree: Workout buddies can be fun!

5 kristy @ kristyruns.com May 11, 2011 at 10:47 am

I would love to try a brick workout sometime! That’s so awesome you have a training buddy. πŸ™‚
kristy @ kristyruns.com recently posted..Y’all and Coke

6 Amanda @ Eating Up May 11, 2011 at 10:53 am

Training buddies are great! I miss being in the same city as my sister–she was my favorite workout buddy!
Amanda @ Eating Up recently posted..Gooey Butter Cookies

7 Hilary May 11, 2011 at 11:08 am

Mmm….favourite things in one jar…LOVE it! I am a big lick-the-jar girl. πŸ™‚
Hilary recently posted..Kashing in on Asparagus

8 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat May 11, 2011 at 11:15 am

Courtney sounds like a great training buddy!! Now if only I could find one that likes to run at 5am, I’d be all set!
Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat recently posted..Friend Date!

9 miranda @ working mom works out May 11, 2011 at 11:25 am

Yumm!!

And yay for training buddies!

You and Caitlin with your favorite things today!

10 Nicole May 11, 2011 at 11:26 am

Drooling over your breakfast, it looks so good!

11 Steph @321delish May 11, 2011 at 11:27 am

Hooray for training buddies! They make tough workouts a little easier to bear!!
Steph @321delish recently posted..A Kid In a Candy Store

12 Wymberley May 11, 2011 at 11:28 am

I want you to know, your overnight oats have transformed my breakfasts! Thank you!
Wymberley recently posted..Weezer- Surf Wax America- Hash Pipe

13 Meghann May 11, 2011 at 11:45 am

That’s always nice to hear. They transformed my breakfast too!

14 Kacy May 11, 2011 at 11:36 am

One of the main reasons I’m excited about moving is the prospect of more exercise buddies. Wooohoo!
Kacy recently posted..Top Three Favorite Frozen Entrees

15 Kate (What Kate is Cooking) May 11, 2011 at 12:20 pm

I love eating things out of jars! I had OIAJ this morning and had a delightful time scraping all the sunflower seed butter out of the bottom πŸ™‚
Kate (What Kate is Cooking) recently posted..OC Half Marathon

16 Ash @ Good Taste Healthy Me May 11, 2011 at 12:28 pm

I love using almost empty peanut butter jars. Peanut butter is essentially one of the best things ever though.
Ash @ Good Taste Healthy Me recently posted..Favors

17 Kaitlyn @ 7 Plates May 11, 2011 at 1:04 pm

Yum. I need to try this
Kaitlyn @ 7 Plates recently posted..Summer is Here!

18 Jamie@everydaydolce May 11, 2011 at 1:11 pm

Yummy breakfast! Training buddies are awesome, I really wish I had more friends who loved to run like I do…long runs go by so much faster with a friend πŸ™‚

19 Katy (The Singing Runner) May 11, 2011 at 1:29 pm

Ooo smoothie in a jar. You may be on to something! πŸ™‚
Katy (The Singing Runner) recently posted..A Day Through The Lens

20 Courtney @ Sweet Tooth, Sweet Life May 11, 2011 at 2:17 pm

LOVE the idea of the smoothie in the jar. Haven’t tried that one yet! I’m gonna have to get on that ASAP πŸ˜‰
Courtney @ Sweet Tooth, Sweet Life recently posted..Belgian Chocolate Giveaway

21 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife May 11, 2011 at 2:23 pm

I LOVE brick workouts!!

22 Natalie May 11, 2011 at 3:53 pm

Hey Meghann!
Weird story – I once had a personal trainer who told me not to bike at ALL if I wanted to take inches off my thighs.
Have you experienced any change in thigh-size (that sounds funny) since you started biking versus running?

23 Meghann May 11, 2011 at 6:36 pm

Haven’t seen a difference yet, but I’m not sure I’ve been cycling enough to see a difference yet. πŸ™‚

24 RunningOnCoffee May 11, 2011 at 9:44 pm

Natalie- your legs will get toned from biking… I lost a quarter of an inch off my thighs within a couple months of starting weekly spinning classes in addition to my running. What’s more important to me, is that there is more muscle and less jiggle. I’m not running/biking to be tinier though, I’m doing it to be healthier/more fit/to improve my times.
RunningOnCoffee recently posted..Virgin Hash

25 Natalie May 12, 2011 at 12:06 pm

Thanks for the feedback!
For some reason I am seeing more cellulite and jiggle on my thighs these days (getting older maybe? ugh!) and I really just want to tone em up and improve my cardio as well.
Maybe I will try spinning! Holla.

26 Elena @ GagaForGrapefruit May 11, 2011 at 5:22 pm

smoothie in a jar sounds delish! how long do you typically store a batch of smoothies (before you drink it all!) πŸ™‚
Elena @ GagaForGrapefruit recently posted..in an instant

27 Amy May 13, 2011 at 4:50 pm

7am! Have you always been a morning person?
Amy recently posted..10 things Blogs Have Taught Me