more ยป" />

Swim Workouts

by Meghann on May 9, 2011

Before you do anything you should head to my sister’s blog and check out that gorgeous ring Anthony gave her yesterday!

My sister’s getting married!!! AHHHHHHHHH……

I absolutely LOVE Anthony and can’t wait to officially call him my brother (though he already feels like one).

I also can’t wait to…

• Plan the bridal shower
  • Plan the bachelorette party
  • Help Kelly pick out her dress
  • Write my Maid of Honor Speech
  • Wear a pretty dress

Though, I should probably wait for them to set a date, for her to actually ask me to be a maid of honor, and umm… give them 24 hr breather period.

Patience Meghann. Patience. ๐Ÿ™‚

Swim Workouts

I hit the pool this morning to get my first swim workout in for the week. I’m still working on my HIM training plan, but as I figure it out I’m going to continue ‘pre-training’ with a couple of swim work outs, spinning classes, and runs this week.

Just like with cycling, I’m determined to improve my swimming before Augusta and learn a little about the sport in the process. Training for my previous triathlons consisted of just a handful of open water and pool swims, both with no plans and little direction. Basically I wold just hit the water and swim.

This time I’m taking a different approach. After discussing with Courtney the benefits of specified swim workouts on our ride last week, I’ve decided to take her advice and hit the pool with a plan.

(In case you were wondering Courtney has a great post on her blog about creating swim workouts. She also has some swim workout suggestions here and here.)

I actually went with a plan that a reader, Katie, had sent me last week.

• 500 yard warm up (20 laps)
  • 4 x 3 100s — you will do 3 separate 100’s and the entire set 4 times for a total of 1200 yards (Kick, Pull, Freestyle)
  • 300 yard cool down (12 laps)
  • TOTAL YARDAGE: 2,000 (1.2 miles)

It seemed pretty easy and straight forward, especially after she followed up with this e-mail.

Here’s your crash course on swimming. Now when you go to the pool you’ll look like a competitive swimmer!

Laps are like money — 25, 50, 75, 100. So 100 yards would be 4 laps in a regular pool

I’m sure the pool you swim at has equipment that you can just use when your there. If not it might be worth it for your HIM training to invest in a kick board and pull bouy (links below). Kick is pretty self explanatory — just hold the top of the board with your hands to utilize your legs. With the pull bouy you will want to put it in between your legs about 1/2 way between your butt and knees to render your legs useless. From there you just use your arms to do front crawl/freestyle.

So back to the workouts I sent you earlier. The warm up should be 500 yards or 20 laps doing whatever stroke you like.

For the main part, do a 100 kick, 100 pull and then 100 front crawl/freestyle. Then repeat the set another 3 times for a total of 4. Once you get the hang of it, wear a watch and try to beat your time on each 100. When I normally do this set I try to complete each 100 in 2:00 min — but that is pretty fast.

She made it sound easy enough, so I headed to the pool with everything written out. I didn’t give myself any time goals and instead concentrated on my form.

It was nice to have a plan and to change it up every few laps. The time flew by much faster than a traditional swim and I felt like I was actually accomplishing something. Once I got into the groove of everything, the swim was much more enjoyable and relaxed.

I’m a person who needs a plan and I think giving myself designated swim workouts is just what I need to keep myself focused. I’m pretty sure I would have bailed after thirty minutes any other day, but having a goal in mind kept me there for well over an hour. ๐Ÿ™‚

After my swim I headed home for a big bowl of cereal for breakfast.

• 1/2 cup Kashi Golden Flakes
  • 1/2 cup Multigrain Cheerios
  • 1/4 cup Granola
  • Chocolate Oikos
  • Strawberries
  • Peanut Butter Chips

The perfect bowl to refuel with.

Ready to start the day!

1 Chad @ thebreakupnote May 9, 2011 at 10:19 am

Swimming is hard and I have a ton of respect for people that can work ou tin the pool like that. I’m not much of a swimmer, myself!
Chad @ thebreakupnote recently posted..No Rain On This Picnic

2 kristy @ kristyruns.com May 9, 2011 at 10:22 am

I had a dream I was training for a tri! I’ve never done any kind of swimming, except for fun. Im interested in starting to train though. Good tips!
kristy @ kristyruns.com recently posted..Doughy Oats

3 Liv @ The Salty n' Sweet May 9, 2011 at 10:24 am

I really can’t stay in a pool for more than 30 minutes, but I think that having a plan would really help me out!

I saw Kelly’s engagement ring and it was beautiful!! Now you’ll have to siblings-in-law ๐Ÿ™‚
Liv @ The Salty n’ Sweet recently posted..Red Cabbage and Apple Sautรฉ

4 Kate (What Kate is Cooking) May 9, 2011 at 10:27 am

Congratulations to Kelly! I can’t wait to read the story ๐Ÿ™‚
Kate (What Kate is Cooking) recently posted..OC Half Marathon

5 Holly @ The Runny Egg May 9, 2011 at 10:29 am

I don’t know anything about swimming (I still have to hold my nose with my hand when I go under water — no lie!) but I like reading about it here. Makes me consider giving it a try this summer!
Holly @ The Runny Egg recently posted..Pizza Bread

6 Shanna, Like Banana May 9, 2011 at 10:31 am

Major congrats to your sister! How exciting ๐Ÿ™‚

7 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat May 9, 2011 at 10:35 am

That looks like a great workout! I used to swim competitively and got a bit sick of it too soon, but this summer I’m eager to get back in the pool! Sounds like you’ll be in triathlon shape in no time! ๐Ÿ™‚
Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat recently posted..Friend Date!

8 Ellie @ The Mommyist May 9, 2011 at 10:40 am

Best wishes to Kelly! What an exciting birthday!
Ellie @ The Mommyist recently posted..Bridge to the Past

9 Sara May 9, 2011 at 10:44 am

After trying to motivate myself to put together swim workouts and actually doing them I decided it was best to join a masters swim team. It gives me more motivation to get in the pool 3xs a week and there is a coach there to correct my form and get my butt moving faster in the water!

10 Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun May 9, 2011 at 10:53 am

That all sounds so tough to me! I can imagine it was a great workout. Isn’t blogging great to help get ideas and support from others. How awesome of her to break it all out for you like that. ๐Ÿ™‚
Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun recently posted..Self-Love Reflection- Stop Fat Talk

11 Jenny @ Fitness Health and Food May 9, 2011 at 10:56 am

haha you’re too funny regarding the wedding planning, but it is such exciting news ๐Ÿ™‚

The swim workout looks great, it’s so awesome that you are working on your weaker points of the three tri sports ๐Ÿ™‚
Have a great day! ๐Ÿ™‚

12 Sarah May 9, 2011 at 10:57 am

That’s so exciting! I checked out her blog and the ring is beautiful.

I love weddings.. but I dread swim workouts.
Sarah recently posted..Vegetarian

13 Silvina May 9, 2011 at 11:01 am

Yay! Congrats to Kelly!
Now, when will it be your turn?!!! ๐Ÿ˜‰

14 Michelle May 9, 2011 at 11:07 am

That’s such a sweet story on your sister’s blog. You guys are going to have so much fun planning the wedding
Michelle recently posted..2011 Mileage Goals

15 Shannon May 9, 2011 at 11:15 am

it is so awesome that you are training for a HIM! I am training for my first sprint triathlon right now!
Shannon recently posted..Getting Ready for My First 5K

16 Lindsay May 9, 2011 at 11:16 am

I just did my first swim workout in years on Saturday and after reading your plan I was already tired! I did 500 yards had stop frequently. From what I hear though swimming gets easier the more you do it.
Lindsay recently posted..It Sounded Like A Good Idea At The Time

17 Leslie May 9, 2011 at 11:24 am

I’m gonna give that plan a try! Thank you for sharing with us!
I need to start training for my first tri, I’m pretty intimidated by the swim!
Leslie recently posted..Sunday Mom Day!

18 Anna @ Doing Good & Living Well May 9, 2011 at 11:24 am

Weddings are so excited! Can’t wait to follow along from your POV and Kelly’s!

Swimming is mega scary to me — so hats off to you for even getting in the pool. I get freaked out doing much more than a doggy paddle while hanging out in the pool and I’m a huge fan of floaty noodles. My poor scuba diving husband doesn’t know what to do with me!
Anna @ Doing Good & Living Well recently posted..MAY-jor Disbelief

19 Tessa @ Amazing Asset May 9, 2011 at 11:25 am

I think swimming with a plan is definitely the way to go! If I go the pool without some kind of practice or routine in mind, I swim around aimlessly, do a few laps every so often and just don’t feel as motivated. Aka it’s a fail of a workout! haha
Nice job this morning and thank you for sharing that plan ๐Ÿ™‚
Tessa @ Amazing Asset recently posted..A Change of Plans Adds A New Perspective

20 TheHungeredOne@MovingandMunching May 9, 2011 at 11:34 am

Great job starting your swims ๐Ÿ™‚ Swimming strokes other than Freestyle helps develop other muscles and help you become more confident in the water.

Chocolatey breakfast? Um, amazing. I want chocolate in my breakfast.
TheHungeredOne@MovingandMunching recently posted..Weekly Workout Recap

21 Eric @ IronMoose May 9, 2011 at 11:40 am

Having a structured swim workout plan definitely helps a ton. The coach at the pool I swim at gives us a structured workout each morning to follow, and it makes doing those long swim works fly. Here is a great video on swim drills that helped me out alot before I started to swim with a coach. I still use these drills when I workout on my own.

Eric @ IronMoose recently posted..Expedition Everest Challenge Recap

22 Lauren May 9, 2011 at 11:43 am

Congratulations to your sister! And to you for gaining a brother-in-law whom you love. What an exciting time!
Lauren recently posted..Run in the New Year

23 Katherine: Unemployed May 9, 2011 at 12:57 pm

reader requests- what do you pack in your swim bag?? do you have a locker? I feel like I’m toting like 100 things when I go to the pool. Also, I used to competitively swim and had a ton of hair rituals to keep it from getting gross- do you do anything for anti chlorine care?
Katherine: Unemployed recently posted..Mother Goose v Old Mother Hubbard

24 Meghann May 9, 2011 at 1:21 pm

haha – whoa! Lots of questions! I’m just a newbie here! ๐Ÿ™‚

All i brought to the pool was a towel, goggles, and swim cap. I borrowed a kick board and pulley from the lifeguard stand. And no hair rituals yet. ๐Ÿ™‚

25 Katie May 9, 2011 at 2:50 pm

Katherine — I actually pack 2 swim bags because I have so much stuff! I swim before I go to work in the morning so I bring with me all of my profession work clothes, flat iron, blow dryer (ones at the pool are usually too tall for me), makeup, baby powder (to put in my swim cap so it doesn’t get sticky), lotion, shampoo, conditioner, brush, hair spray, cap, googles, towel, bathing suit, watch, kick board, pull bouy and flip flops. Oh and obviously (and most importantly) a combination lock.

26 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife May 9, 2011 at 1:04 pm

Love this idea for a swim workout-s-I have been loving my swimming lately. It is nice to change it up a bit though-thanks for sharing!

love cereal idea ๐Ÿ™‚ and congrats to your sista!!

27 Jamie aka "Sometimes Healthy" Girl May 9, 2011 at 1:23 pm

Looks like a great swimming workout. I wish I knew how to extend my moves beyond the doggy paddle! ๐Ÿ˜‰

Congrats again to your sister. It’s such exciting news! My brother and his fiance just set the date last week and it was soooo exciting!
Jamie aka “Sometimes Healthy” Girl recently posted..Ode to a Sometimes Healthy Mother

28 Emily @ Savory and Savage May 9, 2011 at 1:24 pm

Congrats to Kelly!

A swim workout first thing in the morning sounds refreshing.

Since I have started back at the Y – I have been thinking about adding a swim workout to my weekly schedule – thanks for the great swim routine tips ๐Ÿ™‚
Emily @ Savory and Savage recently posted..Cheesy scrambled eggs

29 Brenna [fabuleuxdestin] May 9, 2011 at 1:35 pm

When my little sis gets married I’m going to be the same way!!! So exciting !
Brenna [fabuleuxdestin] recently posted..maman

30 Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather May 9, 2011 at 1:36 pm

Sounds like great advice! I love swimming. I always makes me SO hungry too.

31 Emma (Namaste Everyday) May 9, 2011 at 4:41 pm

I think it’s really cool that you are starting to swim. My parents have a pool and whenever I visit them, I always try and swim laps but I can’t work up enough motivation to swim as hard and fast as possible! How do you do it? Is it knowing you have a race coming up?
Emma (Namaste Everyday) recently posted..Glacier Country

32 Mac May 9, 2011 at 5:16 pm

Wow! All those laps only adds up to 1.2 miles?! Clearly I’m not a swimmer and it intimidates me lol!
Mac recently posted..Living Like a Kid

33 CampingGirl May 9, 2011 at 5:24 pm

Kelly’s ring is gorgeous!!
CampingGirl recently posted..Graduation Day!

34 Elena @ GagaForGrapefruit May 9, 2011 at 6:28 pm

i LOVE swimming, and i can’t wait to check out some of these workouts!
Elena @ GagaForGrapefruit recently posted..in an instant

35 Kristina May 10, 2011 at 11:59 am

Another great workout for swimming is to do a pyramid workout – 50, 100, 150, 200 and then back down (or you could go further “up” the pyramid), 150, 100, 50 with 20 second breaks (or however many breaks you need). It totally helps me keep count of the distance, and I do try to push myself and swim at a fast pace.
Kristina recently posted..A rest day!

36 Patricia@ swimming pool pumps August 5, 2011 at 1:55 am