I Need More Yoga in My Life

by Meghann on May 9, 2011

I’ve been slacking on yoga classes lately.

I think it’s a combination of not falling head-over-heels in love with any particular studio yet and the fact most studios are clear on the other side of town. Why, oh why, can’t I find a great studio within walking distance of my house. Would that be too much to ask? πŸ˜‰

I have found one studio that I do enjoy (though, it’s a decent drive away) and they just so happened to have a 5:45pm Power Yoga class that fit in my schedule. I spent the afternoon working in an adorable little French cafe in Hyde Park (drinking iced coffee and snacking on a nut/ dried fruit mix) then headed to Yogani for the class.

I may not be head-over-heels in love with Yogani, but the studio has grown on me. I appreciate the variety of classes, the instructors are always really helpful, and the studio is gorgeous. If only it was a little closer, I may be there more often.

Tonight’s Power Class was a reminder of why I need to attend more yoga classes. I love yoga, plain and simple; it’s hard to make my way to class, but once I’m there, I’m happy. I relax, I forget my day, and my body feels like jello afterwards. It’s love. πŸ™‚

After yoga I was at a bit of loss on what to do for dinner. Derek worked late tonight, so I was on my own and the only thing I wanted was a salad. Not sure what to put on my salad, I turned to the fridge (nothing stood out to me), then headed to the freezer where I had stocked up on frozen vegetable steam bags at Publix yesterday.

For some reason, those stood out to me. I popped a bag of ‘lightly sauced’ potatoes in the microwave, then a bag of brussels sprouts. While those were ‘steaming’ I seasoned a can of drained chickpeas with some chili powder and roasted them for 15 minutes at 415.

My salad then began to take shake – spinach, potatoes, brussels sprouts, chickpeas, parmesan cheese, and bbq sauce.

Oh, and a defrosted corn muffin.

I made a separate bowl for Derek as well and he gobbled it up. πŸ™‚ I’m usually not a fan of frozen vegetables (I swear they always taste like freezer burn!), but the steam-in-a-bag kind were great. And easy! Just pop them in the microwave and you’re good. It’s not an every day thing, but for a quick weeknight meal – they’re perfect!

After dinner an insane graving for homemade cookies hit. Not ‘healthified’ cookies filled with oats, flax, and nuts, but old fashion, melt in your mouth, homemade cookies like Dad used to make!

I consulted with one of my favorite recipe blogs (Smitten Kitten), found a simple, classic recipe for their Crisp Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies, and proceeded to make a mess.

Only, I didn’t have chocolate chips.

I had M&Ms. πŸ™‚

Same thing. No way, they’re better. πŸ˜‰

The recipe suggested scooping 1/4 cup sized dough balls for ‘large’ cookies and 1 tablespoon for ‘small’ cookies.

Guess which one I picked?

Go big or go home! πŸ˜‰

I had one HOT out of the oven.

It was so good it melted in my mouth. So chewy, so rich, and exactly what I was craving.

This recipe is a keeper. πŸ˜‰

Derek and Maddie think so too.

πŸ™‚

Good Night!

1 Jenny @ Fitness Health and Food May 9, 2011 at 10:42 pm

Thank you for reminding me to get some more yoga into my life, it’s been too long since I’ve taken an actual class!

mmm m&m cookies, get in my mouth! πŸ˜›

2 Grace May 9, 2011 at 10:44 pm

Something about candy is so much better than normal chocolate chips in cookies? I used Hershey’s dark chocolate “pieces” in some zucchini cookies I made and they turned out awesome! I love the crunchy shell! Cute pictures of the cookie massacre:)

3 Caitlin May 9, 2011 at 10:50 pm

I’ve been reading your blog for seriously like ever now, and this post for some reason just makes me feel so happy for you. You seem to have such an awesome life right now I know envys awful to have but jeeeesh right now, I envy your life. And that salad looks delish…and obv the cookies
Caitlin recently posted..I talk too much I am sorry

4 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife May 9, 2011 at 10:55 pm

mmmmmm yummy cookies, girl! I also love yoga with a passion, it is a NEED πŸ™‚

5 Laura @ Backstage Pass May 9, 2011 at 11:31 pm

Mmm, M&M cookies… delicious.
Yoga sounds great! It’s been awhile since I made it to a class, I should really look into that.
Laura @ Backstage Pass recently posted..Honestly

6 Liv @ The Salty n' Sweet May 9, 2011 at 11:41 pm

I really need to find a good yoga class. None of the classes I’ve attended leave me with that jello feeling! Oh those cookies look GOOD! And I could never be around your stash of M&Ms. They’d be gone in less than a week πŸ˜‰
Liv @ The Salty n’ Sweet recently posted..Distractions

7 Elena @ GagaForGrapefruit May 9, 2011 at 11:45 pm

yoga is the bestest!
Elena @ GagaForGrapefruit recently posted..in an instant

8 Katy (The Singing Runner) May 10, 2011 at 12:06 am

LOVE that last picture! πŸ˜€
Katy (The Singing Runner) recently posted..A Day Through The Lens

9 Kate (What Kate is Cooking) May 10, 2011 at 12:35 am

I need some yoga in my life too! When school is out I’m thinking of buying a hot yoga pass πŸ™‚
Kate (What Kate is Cooking) recently posted..OC Half Marathon

10 Brenna [fabuleuxdestin] May 10, 2011 at 2:03 am

Hehe so cute! pajama party
Brenna [fabuleuxdestin] recently posted..maman

11 Amanda @ Eating Up May 10, 2011 at 2:11 am

M & M cookies are delicious…I always forget about them! And I love BBQ as a salad dressing–I had that tonight!
Amanda @ Eating Up recently posted..Gooey Butter Cookies

12 Khushboo May 10, 2011 at 5:07 am

Fact: M&M cookies are more fun to eat than choc chip cookies!…even better if it’s the coconut M&Ms!
Khushboo recently posted..Rock-bottom motivation

13 VeggieGirl May 10, 2011 at 6:48 am

Love yoga – definitely do more if you really want to! πŸ™‚

Mmmmm M&M cookies.

14 Lauren May 10, 2011 at 6:59 am

I hardly ever buy frozen veggies expect for corn and peas. For some reason, they always taste better frozen to me. (Unless its fresh corn on the cob when its in season). Mmmm, those cookies look fantastic! Love the picture of Maddie and Derek! πŸ™‚
Lauren recently posted..Her First Mothers Day

15 Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun May 10, 2011 at 7:36 am

I’m needing more yoga in my life too. My only option right now is home options and I can’t motivate myself for it beyond doing downward dog a few times throughout the day and other standard stretches.

The cookies – big is better. I think it makes them a better texture too. Smart decision. πŸ˜‰
Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun recently posted..Self-Love Reflection- Stop Fat Talk

16 Crystal May 10, 2011 at 7:40 am

Yoga is amazing stuff πŸ™‚ Being a yoga teacher sometimes makes it really hard to find a class that I 100% love. But I do my best to step out of my comfort zone by going to classes I wouldn’t normally go to. I’ll take a basic or a gentle class instead (which is so hard- because I’m really more of a power/vinyasa kind of girl) because it can just be really nice to have someone else telling you what to do- and let me check out. I think it’s everyone’s dream to be able to not only walk to a yoga studio they love, but also be able to afford a multitude of classes each week. I’ve been utilizing free podcasts and classes at the studio where I teach as much as possible- as well as strengthening my home practice as well. Good luck πŸ™‚
Crystal recently posted..Purge

17 Holly @ The Runny Egg May 10, 2011 at 7:49 am

Those cookies look so good! Love the picture of Derek stuffing one in his mouth πŸ™‚
Holly @ The Runny Egg recently posted..Pizza Bread

18 Jess @ Jessica is Getting Fit May 10, 2011 at 8:22 am

I just bought a groupon for a month of unlimited yoga classes in my area and I’m excited to use it! I know I need to incorporate yoga into my running!

Do you have a recipe for the corn muffins and are they very sweet? My husband hates super sweet cornbread but I know you tend to be more on the healthy side!
Jess @ Jessica is Getting Fit recently posted..2011 500 Festival Mini-Marathon- The Hubs Edition!

19 Meghann May 10, 2011 at 10:07 am

THis is the recipe http://www.thefrugalgirl.com/2011/01/wednesday-baking-sweet-cornbread-muffins/ They are on the sweet side though!

20 Meghan @ StruggleMuffins May 10, 2011 at 8:26 am

Hello! I’m a new poster here and just wanted to say I love your blog and your approach to healthy living. As a yoga fiend I can relate to your feeling about yoga – I’ve gone through phases where I just haven’t jived with a particular studio or teachers and its disheartening because I love the authentic studio experience. Its awesome that you feel so good once you’re doing yoga – yoga’s ability to help you forget everything else is what I love most about it πŸ™‚

21 Hope May 10, 2011 at 8:36 am

Those cookies look delicious! I love the pictures of Derek and Maddie! So cute!! πŸ™‚
Hope recently posted..Upscale McDonald’s…

22 linz May 10, 2011 at 8:45 am

I love using steam in the bag frozen veggies as a way to get my veggie fix during the day at work. So easy to just throw them in the microwave at the office!

M&M cookies are the best, those candies make everything better.
linz recently posted..Meet the Bachelors

23 Jemma @ Celery and Cupcakes May 10, 2011 at 8:49 am

I want those cookies. They look so good!! πŸ˜€
Jemma @ Celery and Cupcakes recently posted..Breakfast like a KING!

24 Meaghan May 10, 2011 at 8:58 am

I need more yoga in my life too. I can’t wait until I find my “big girl job” so I can finally have a normal schedule and can actually go to classes. Right now I work such random hours that I can’t commit to a class. I’m trying to find a good dvd but it’s just not quite the same

25 Melissa @ TryingToHeal May 10, 2011 at 9:15 am

haha, maddie looks terrified!
Melissa @ TryingToHeal recently posted..It’s Taro Time

26 Meghann May 10, 2011 at 10:11 am

The funny part is she was all about stealing the cookie until Derek dove after her with it in his mouth. Then, all of a sudden, she didn’t want the cookie anymore. πŸ™‚

27 Courtney May 10, 2011 at 9:53 am

I could use some M&M cookies in my life!
Courtney recently posted..I graduated!

28 Kacy May 10, 2011 at 9:53 am

I love yoga! I bought an unlimited pass to a studio this past month and it was awesome. It paid for itself in about 8 classes so it was worth it. Now I’m moving though and I’m going to miss the studio and the instructor a lot!

29 Kari May 10, 2011 at 11:23 am

Gosh i completely forgot about M&M cookies. wow.

I feel the same way about frozen vegetables. Even cooked into a dish with loads of seasoning or sauce, there’s that freezer taste. Maybe I’ll look into the steam-in-a-bag next time I just can’t be bothered to chop the fresh ones.
Kari recently posted..Veganomicon Mac Daddy

30 Samantha Angela May 10, 2011 at 3:38 pm

It’s always better to make cookies big rather than small. When you bake small cookies then you don’t get the distinction between the crispy edges and the chewy centre.

Just a tip from one cookie baker to another!

31 Lindsay May 10, 2011 at 7:50 pm

you should try Alton browns CHEWY CHOCOLATE CHIP!
they are my absolute fave

32 LauraJayne May 13, 2011 at 5:44 pm

Ever since I went to the Yoga Spa in Seattle (while on vacation), I haven’t found a studio in Utah that even comes close to their classes and atmosphere (not mention even HAS hot yoga that isn’t Bikram). I love how I feel when I do it, but it’s hard, especially when the closest studio is at least a 20 minute drive!
LauraJayne recently posted..Finding Your Fitness β€œNiche!”