Blogger Baby Shower

by Meghann on May 9, 2011

Where did this day go?

I didn’t budge from my computer all morning and all of a sudden it’s lunch time! Crazy.

I made an old favorite for lunch – Almond Butter, Spinach, and Carrot Sandwich.

Only less sandwich and more open face.

Pretzels + Mustard in the middle

Blogger Baby Shower

When my Mom was a little girl something very sad happened to her hometown. A series of tornadoes came through Huntsville, Alabama and destroyed everything in their path; including the trailer she called home.

My Mom was one of the lucky ones. My Grandfather had caught wind of a severe weather alert approaching the area. Instead of riding it out at home, he packed up my Mom, Aunt, and Uncle and headed to the hospital across town where my Grandmother worked. When the tornadoes came the only thing my Mom could remember was being thrown to the bottom of a bathroom floor. She laid safely underneath a dozen or so other women bracing for impact, while her childhood neighborhood was carried away in the wind.

When they returned home that evening the surrounding trailers were gone. Though un-liveable, their’s was the only one that remained having been bolted down by a collapsed tree that fell on top of it. If my grandfather hadn’t been quick to get out of the area, who knows if any of them would have survived.

My Mom’s story may have what appears to be a happy ending (they did all survive), but it was only the beginning. With the story of how the tornadoes wrecked her home, also came the stories of survival that followed. Those are the real stories of miracles.

A few weeks ago a series of tornadoes struck Alabama again, only this time they claimed Tuscaloosa as it’s victim. Hundreds were killed, homes were destroyed, and thousands of families were left to pick up the pieces of their lives.

Tuscaloosa-Tornado-Track-Satellite-Image.png

Callie’s sister calls Tuscaloosa home and though a few news organizations have already moved on to other breaking news stories, she’s still there volunteering at a local church and helping the families fight to rebuild. She sees that the fight isn’t over yet and those families need our help.

Her biggest discovery was one of the greatest needs they have are baby items – simple things like diapers, formula and onesies.

That’s why a few other bloggers and I (including Callie) have come together to organize a Blogger Baby Shower to benefit the victims of the Tuscaloosa Tornadoes.

bloggerbabyshower.jpg

How does it work? Simply visit the Baby Registry we have set up on Amazon.com – we have registered for diapers, formula, onesies, etc. The name is registered as “Tuscaloosa Tornado”.

Prices start at just $8.99 so there is something for every budget. Just purchase the item on the registry and it will be shipped directly to the church in Tuscaloosa that can get the items to the people who need it most.

Of course, No baby shower is complete without the opportunity to win a prize. As a little extra incentive to help out, everyone who purchases an item off the registry will be automatically entered to win a $50 HomeGoods gift certificate from The Inspired Housewife or a $25 gift certificate from At The Picket Fence. (Amazon keeps track of everyone who makes a purchase from the registry and we will randomly select the winners from that list).

I thought this idea of Callie’s was brilliant because you know the supplies are going directly to those in need. There is no middle man.

My Mom survived the tornado aftermath thanks to the kindness of strangers. It didn’t happen overnight, but her family did rebuild. I want to pass on that same kindness my Mom received so many years ago. Surviving the tornado is step one, surviving the aftermath is the true survival story.

Alright friends, let’s get donating!

1 Megan @ Megan Mumbles May 9, 2011 at 2:01 pm

What a great cause.. I just bought a pack of big diapers to send to the church. It’s funny how the little things you do to help others can hlep in a big way :-)

2 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife May 9, 2011 at 2:02 pm

Very cool-such a great cause!

I love pretzels with mustard. YUMM

3 Amy May 9, 2011 at 2:11 pm

Thanks for sharing your mom’s story – I can’t imagine how traumatic that must have been.

4 Biz May 9, 2011 at 2:20 pm

It’s so easy to forget the devestation after its no longer front page news – great idea!

5 Holly @ The Runny Egg May 9, 2011 at 2:24 pm

I love the baby shower idea! Thanks for putting that together.

6 Shannon May 9, 2011 at 2:26 pm

Such a great cause!

7 Lindsey May 9, 2011 at 2:37 pm

I said this over at HTP this morning, and I’ll say it again- this is amazing! I am a student at the University of Alabama, and my apartment (it’s okay!) is on the street that was knocked out. I was there when this happened, and I’ve seen the people affected by this disaster- they are real, and they are in need. Tuscaloosa has been completely rocked, but I think she is well on her way to overcoming, and it’s a beautiful process to watch. And on behalf of everyone there- thank you! Every single offering is a blessing to us.

8 Summer May 9, 2011 at 2:40 pm

I didn’t realize your mom is from Huntsville—that’s where my sister lives now! And I think this Blogger Baby Shower is a wonderful way for everyone to reach out across state lines to help. I’ve lived in Alabama all my life, and I’ve seen tornadoes before but this is the worst thing I’ve ever encountered. Over 200 people in Alabama alone lost their lives, and over 300 in the southern states that were affected by these storms. I must mention that Tuscaloosa wasn’t the only city hit—there are entire cities in Alabama that have been completely wiped off the map. I went out on Saturday to a neighborhood in the Birmingham metro area (where I live) that now just looks like a landfill, a twisted mass of trees, metal, and bricks.

It’s good to know in this day and age that social media can bind us all together, regardless of state lines.

9 Liv @ The Salty n' Sweet May 9, 2011 at 2:48 pm

Thanks for letting us know about this great cause, and sharing your mom’s story. While many tornadoes hit southern Ohio when I was growing up, I was never affected, so I can’t begin to understand how hard it is for those in the Tuscaloosa.

10 Jenny @ Fitness Health and Food May 9, 2011 at 2:49 pm

What an amazing and thoughtful idea, and thank you for sharing your story because it helps readers better relate to what the victims are going through.

11 miranda @ working mom works out May 9, 2011 at 3:11 pm

Thanks for posting this!

I live outside of Huntsville, AL in Harvest. Our area was the hardest hit in Madison County – Also an F5. We appreciate all of the help and have certainly banded together as a community. The world is full of good people that want to help. Thanks a bunch.

12 Halley (Blunder Construction) May 9, 2011 at 3:11 pm

Thanks for sharing this… I have family in Tuscaloosa who lost so much. But, good came from the wreckage. My cousin who was engaged, decided to hurry up and got married yesterday! Since their separate apartments were destroyed, they get to rebuild in their very first home together. It’s bittersweet! I will definitely be donating to the cause!

13 Margo May 9, 2011 at 3:17 pm

This is such a great idea! It couldn’t have been easier to send something. What a wonderful and simple way for people from across the country to help out! Amazing!

14 Laurin May 9, 2011 at 3:43 pm

AWESOME! I have family in AL that were spared from the tornadoes but the scenes from their town just leave me heartbroken. I just posted this on my blog with a link to your blog and the registry!

15 Morgan @ moments of mmm May 9, 2011 at 4:17 pm

What a great idea! I hope you all find success in this!

16 Dori May 9, 2011 at 4:21 pm

GREAT cause. Going to go check it out now to buy something.

17 Lauren May 9, 2011 at 4:30 pm

A wonderful idea — thank you, Meghann! I’m happy to help out, and I hope the church receives many, many items.

18 Ashley May 9, 2011 at 5:04 pm

This is such a great cause! That is such a great story about your mom too, not as many are so lucky. I remember being terrified about tornadoes when I was younger.

19 Meghan@travelwinedine May 9, 2011 at 6:15 pm

What a GREAT idea!

20 Elena @ GagaForGrapefruit May 9, 2011 at 6:43 pm

interesting sandwich! sometimes the most simple ones are the best!

21 Elizabeth May 9, 2011 at 7:09 pm

One pack of diapers ordered! What a great idea, and so easy!

22 Jamie aka "Sometimes Healthy" Girl May 9, 2011 at 7:17 pm

What a great idea! Kudos to you for doing your best to help the cause. I’ll definitely check it out.

Also, interesting combo with the sandwich. I like your style. And pretzels and mustard are my absolute fave.

23 Amy May 9, 2011 at 7:41 pm

What an amazing cause to help support victims of such a devastating disaster. Definitely going to check it out. On a happier note – your lunch looks delicious.

24 Karolina May 9, 2011 at 9:23 pm

This is a great idea! Thanks for sharing, and I will pass along.

25 Hilary May 9, 2011 at 9:59 pm

SO COOL! Way to get behind a great cause in a creative way!

26 Hats @ See How She Runs May 10, 2011 at 6:15 am

This sort of thing is such a good idea.

27 Meridith May 10, 2011 at 9:00 am

I go to school in Tuscaloosa and was in the house I rent there when the tornado hit. I don’t know how I survived because my entire house was gone when I crawled out of the bathtub. My story is here: http://cw.ua.edu/2011/05/01/saved-by-a-mattress/

I’m lucky to be alive and to have family who I can stay with over the summer. So many people are not that fortunate — thank you for helping them and for addressing the destruction in Tuscaloosa (and in many other towns in Alabama)! Love your blog!

28 Meghann May 10, 2011 at 10:11 am

What a powerful story Meridith. I can’t even imagine going through that, I’m so happy you’re safe and alive to share your story of survival and strength. :)

29 Kate White May 10, 2011 at 11:01 am

Thanks so much for posting the link for the Blogger Baby Shower! What an amazing idea. I’ve already forwarded the link to my mom, boyfriend, and brother so hopefully they’ll all pitch in as well :)

30 Abby May 10, 2011 at 8:00 pm

Thank you so much for helping out our community. I am from Huntsville and I know the pain and grief of families who have lost everything. Thanks for helping us in this time.