more ยป" />

The Taco Bus

by Meghann on May 7, 2011

This afternoon I had the pleasure of visiting a Tampa institution – The Taco Bus!

The Taco Bus used to be a mobile food truck that traveled around Tampa, offering lunch services at various office buildings and events in the area, but a few years ago the bus settled off of Hillsborough Ave. They may have a permanent spot now with attached seating and AC, but everything is still cooked fresh inside the bus.

A couple of months ago Man v Food came to Tampa to film a segment at the Taco Bus. It’s a local favorite and I’ve been told by several people (including Derek) that it was a must try.

I know the Food Truck movement is HUGE across the U.S. right now, but that doesn’t stop me from being a little wary about enjoying Mexican food out of a converted bus. There was no doubt the food would be good, my fear was what may come after the food umm ‘digested’ itself. ifyouknowwhatImean

Still, when we arrived I found myself oddly excited to try something new. The menu was great. Tacos, burritos, quesadillas, etc. a little something for everyone – even a few vegetarian options!

IMG_6507.jpg

Derek and I placed our order than found a seat in the attached awning.

IMG_6510.JPG IMG_6511.JPG

We had just enough time to snap a couple of silly photos before our number was called.

Wow. This wasn’t greasy Mexican food at all! This was fresh, delicious Mexican food with just the right amount of flavor, spice, and chew.

Holy crap these Tacos were good! I had two of the chicken tacos and literally licked my plate clean.

I debated ordering a vegetarian option, but something told me to go with chicken. I’m so glad I did! The chicken had so much flavor and, honestly, I couldn’t think of a better taco filling. It was perfect in every way.

The tacos came with a side of rice and refried beans which were just as equally fresh and delicious tasting. A perfect grease-free meal!

Derek ordered the Carne Asada Torta, which was a big sandwich filled with meat.

His was good (I stole a couple of bites), but mine was better. ๐Ÿ™‚

If you go to The Taco Bus, order a taco! Trust me, it’s the best taco you’ll ever have. I can’t wait to bring my Dad here next time he’s in town. ๐Ÿ™‚

We spent the morning browsing a few garage sales (nothing jumped out at us) and I had a Luna Bar as a mid-morning snack.

Still waiting to hit those batting cages! ๐Ÿ™‚

1 Hannah (Running In Freedom) May 7, 2011 at 2:34 pm

I’ve been wanting to try that place! I think it was on Diners, Drive Ins, and Dives too.
Hannah (Running In Freedom) recently posted..Cookie De Mayo

2 Freya May 7, 2011 at 2:36 pm

I have never ever had Mexican food, but those tacos really do look so fresh! I have a craving now…the oatmeal I’m about to eat has lost some of its’ appeal :p
Freya recently posted..Mouldy Bars Going DOWN Baby

3 Karolina May 7, 2011 at 2:38 pm

I’d be a little nervous about the post-digestion issues as well. This seems like a great idea though and the food looks delicious!
Karolina recently posted..When It Comes to Loss- Remember Part 2

4 Kacy May 7, 2011 at 2:41 pm

There’s a taco truck like that here that won Food Network’s Best Food Truck and I still really haven’t gotten to try it. I must do it before I move. Looks great!
Kacy recently posted..Cake Theory

5 kristy @ kristyruns.com May 7, 2011 at 2:44 pm

My family in Florida loves the taco bus! I’ll have to try it myself when I’m in Tampa next weekend! ๐Ÿ™‚
kristy @ kristyruns.com recently posted..European Dinners

6 Dawn @ Blonde on a Mission May 7, 2011 at 2:52 pm

Those tacos look amazing! I’ll be on the look out for that next time I’m in Florida! I love it when they don’t rely on the cheap, greasy fare to make money but instead serve fresh, real food. So much better!
Dawn @ Blonde on a Mission recently posted..When minor personal Disaster Strikes

7 Kate (What Kate is Cooking) May 7, 2011 at 3:24 pm

Yum! Mexican food is my favorite. I’ve never been to a food cart, but they’ve been coming around the farmer’s market on Sundays. I want to take my mom to get a crepe for Mother’s Day tomorrow!
Kate (What Kate is Cooking) recently posted..OC Half Marathon

8 Ellie @ The Mommyist May 7, 2011 at 4:05 pm

I love food carts. The food cart scene here in Portland is huge. Lots of gourmet foods for low prices.
Ellie @ The Mommyist recently posted..Bridge to the Past

9 Elena @ GagaForGrapefruit May 7, 2011 at 4:12 pm

how YUM! i wish i could reach through the computer to try!
Elena @ GagaForGrapefruit recently posted..in an instant

10 Holly @ The Runny Egg May 7, 2011 at 4:29 pm

There is a taco truck that we order food from every Friday at work. They are so delicious — not greasy at all and so full of flavor.
Holly @ The Runny Egg recently posted..Pizza Bread

11 Emma (Namaste Everyday) May 7, 2011 at 4:45 pm

I wish my city had a taco bus! That is awesommmme!
Emma (Namaste Everyday) recently posted..Glacier Country

12 Matteson May 7, 2011 at 6:34 pm

That looks like such a neat idea! How cool!
Matteson recently posted..Short and Sweet

13 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey May 7, 2011 at 7:15 pm

That looks so neat! I am always curious as to if the food on those shows is REALLLY as good as they make it seem!
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..realist ravioli

14 Alaina May 7, 2011 at 7:57 pm

I love tacos like that!! They remind me of the street food I had in Mexico City. It looks authentic! ๐Ÿ™‚
Alaina recently posted..5 Napkin Burger

15 Kristin May 7, 2011 at 8:28 pm

They’ve added a Taco Bus location in St. Pete, too (where I work), which is AWE-SOME ๐Ÿ™‚ Glad you liked your Tampa Taco Bus experience!
Kristin recently posted..Wordless Wednesday- Winter X-Games

16 kimmy May 7, 2011 at 8:39 pm

Real Mexican food isnt greasy! its when you get into TexMex that you add all bad stuff (or good stuff ๐Ÿ™‚ )

17 anne May 8, 2011 at 5:05 am

i second that!

18 Jenna May 7, 2011 at 10:10 pm

looks delish!

19 Liv @ The Salty n' Sweet May 7, 2011 at 10:31 pm

Living in Florida, how’s the Mexican food there?? I know Cuban food in Miami is amazing, but what about central Florida??

My favorite part of really good tacos are the fresh tortillas! They’re always so soft and pliable. Mmmmmm….
Liv @ The Salty n’ Sweet recently posted..Potato and Cauliflower Coconut Curry

20 Jennifer V. May 7, 2011 at 10:34 pm

Wow. I pretty much need to get to Tampa and check out the Taco Bus. I am guessing I would be a regular there!

21 Angela May 7, 2011 at 11:47 pm

That looks Delicious!!! In california, I swear there is a mexican restaurant every other block. If you ever come out to visit, I will have to take you to Pedro’s Tacos. Its similar to the taco bus and oh so good. Love you
Angela recently posted..Me Gusta La Playa

22 Christie May 8, 2011 at 2:10 am

Your tacos look delicious! Mexican food is definitely one of my favourites when its fresh and not-so-greasy. I loooove me some refried beans!
Christie recently posted..Makeup to Wake Me Up

23 Kelsey May 8, 2011 at 10:57 pm

Food truck food is sometimes the best food!
Kelsey recently posted..Release of Brosix Web Client

24 Courtney W May 9, 2011 at 6:31 pm

I was just introduced to the Taco Bus a few weeks ago and am in love! The entire atmosphere reminded me of my trips to Mexico and the food is definitely delicious and authentic. Next time you’re there, try the butternut squash tostada. It’s amazing and I have a feeling you’d love it!

25 Nicole of Raspberry Stethoscope May 9, 2011 at 9:40 pm

I LOOOOVE TACO BUS!! We go to the one in St. Pete about once per week (hehe). The BEST is the pulled pork–Cochinita Pibil. I get the meal deal with either two tacos or the burrito, which is the size of my head. We also love the cheese that is on the beans; we call it mexican parmesan lol! Definitely go to the Taco Bus in the ‘burg next time you’re on this side of the bridge. We’ll meet you out there sometime.
Nicole of Raspberry Stethoscope recently posted..Its not you- its me

26 Katie May 10, 2011 at 8:46 am

Oh man, I’m totally jealous! I keep meaning to make a trip out to the Taco Bus, and I still haven’t yet! Glad to hear (from yet another person) that the food is great!
Katie recently posted..Summery mani-pedi giveaway!

27 Meghann May 10, 2011 at 10:08 am

Go! It’s great! In fact, I’ll go with you – I need to go back! ๐Ÿ™‚

28 Katie May 10, 2011 at 11:08 am

Totally! I have a hard time turning down a good taco/tostada/etc! Although, I did notice that they serve menudo…not sure that I’d ever be ready for that per se…
Katie recently posted..Happy Thoughts for my Theodore