Something Borrowed

by Meghann on May 7, 2011

The wild goose chase is over.

Derek and I were finally able to see Something Borrowed tonight. πŸ™‚

something-borrowed-poster.jpg

I thought they did a great job adapting the book into a movie. They combined a couple of characters (to be expected), added some additional storylines, and took some scenes out, but all in all a great job.

I also thought the casting was great. When I read the book a second time I knew they had cast Kate Hudson as Darcy, so she already fit the role in my head. Ginnifer Goodwin was the perfect mix of natural beauty and charm to pull off the roll of Rachel. She’s also one of my favorite actresses. It’s nice to see her take on a leading role. I still remember her as the sidekick in Win A Date in Tad Hamilton and Mona Lisa Smiles.

If you’re a fan of the book, then I think you’ll enjoy the movie. And if you’ve never read the book before, then it’s a cute movie you’ll fall in love with.

Nothing like a feel good love movie to bright a Saturday night. πŸ™‚

Before the movie I prepared a simple meal for dinner.

Pretty, no?

The dish was easy. A basic mix of cous cous, raisins, spinach, roasted acorn squash, roasted eggplant, chopped almond, and goat cheese.

I was afraid it would come out dry, but there was so much flavor that everything blended together perfectly. With that many elements a shake of sallt and pepper was all it needed.

Dinner came with a beer (Cigar City)

IMG_4799.jpg

Ice cream for dessert

Watching Something Borrowed made me want to go back to NYC again. I think NYC may be my favorite city to visit. πŸ™‚

Good night!

1 Amanda May 7, 2011 at 11:59 pm

I saw Something Borrowed tonight too! I loved it and thought it was cute….but I haven’t read the book. Now, I really want to!
Amanda recently posted..Just a little honesty…

2 Holly @ The Runny Egg May 8, 2011 at 12:00 am

I didn’t know that was a book first! I’m waiting for Netflix on that one, good to know it was pretty good!
Holly @ The Runny Egg recently posted..Pizza Bread

3 maria @ Chasing the N0w May 8, 2011 at 12:13 am

The book (and follow-up) is fantastic. Definitely read them.

4 Aimee May 8, 2011 at 12:04 am

Oooof. “Slightly chubby”? Cringing over here.

5 Nina May 8, 2011 at 12:44 am

Uhoh, I admit — I am too. I’m not one to criticize in the comments section, but that did seem a little judgmental for a healthy eating blog, emphasizing health and confidence over looking any certain way or fitting into any one particular size. To think of your readers who are heavier and are trying to lose weight and look to you for inspiration, contrasted with the idea that you would characterize people with some curves as “chubby” (a word that has a negative connotation) just seems wrong and upsetting. Don’t mean to be a complainer, just trying to be honest with my feelings, too :).

6 Meghann May 8, 2011 at 7:22 am

I’m sorry. You’re right – this was my bad. I’ve edited the line out.

7 Nina May 8, 2011 at 9:30 am

Meghann — you just proved how much you rock. Listening to your readers and being sensitive to their feelings makes you awesome! Thanks again, and have a wonderful day!

8 Kate (What Kate is Cooking) May 8, 2011 at 12:09 am

That is my kind of dinner! I’m waiting for that movie to come into the dollar theater in a few months πŸ™‚
Kate (What Kate is Cooking) recently posted..OC Half Marathon

9 Elena @ GagaForGrapefruit May 8, 2011 at 12:14 am

glad you liked the movie! that seems to be a blogging trend this weekend!
Elena @ GagaForGrapefruit recently posted..in an instant

10 Haley May 8, 2011 at 12:18 am

I love the book and am planning to see the movie tomorrow. Glad to know that the adaptation is good — they so often aren’t.

11 Astrid May 8, 2011 at 12:20 am

LOVED the book! I hope they do movies for the rest of the series!
Astrid recently posted..When I stopped seeing my mother with the eyes of a child- I saw

12 Kacy May 8, 2011 at 12:23 am

I loved Mona Lisa Smile!!
Kacy recently posted..Cake Theory

13 Morgan @ moments of mmm May 8, 2011 at 12:32 am

I almost convinced the boyfriend to go this movie today! But at the last second, he refused! I knew it would be a good one, I’ll have to try again.

That couscous dish looks yummy!
Morgan @ moments of mmm recently posted..The Coupon Bug

14 Emma (Namaste Everyday) May 8, 2011 at 12:53 am

what a scrumptious dinner! I love the goat’s cheese on top πŸ™‚
Emma (Namaste Everyday) recently posted..Glacier Country

15 Ashley May 8, 2011 at 1:03 am

Slighty chubby huh? Your blog, your opinion. But not loving that comment.

16 kimmy May 8, 2011 at 1:19 am

Agreed.

17 Emma May 8, 2011 at 1:34 am

more than cringing, very sad.

18 Kelley May 8, 2011 at 1:40 am

I hadn’t read the book, but I adored the movie. The perfect mix of romance and humor. So so good. Ginnifer is just such a great actress. Really glad you liked it. πŸ™‚

19 Liv @ The Salty n' Sweet May 8, 2011 at 2:25 am

So you did end up watching the movie! Batting cages some other time?? Haha I love how your two plans are such polar opposites. One is super girly and the other very masculine. Glad you enjoyed the movie and I can’t wait to see it!
Liv @ The Salty n’ Sweet recently posted..Potato and Cauliflower Coconut Curry

20 Meghann May 8, 2011 at 7:24 am

Apparently Derek didn’t think I was serious in wanting to go to the batting cages. When we were out and I was like ‘let’s go!’ he told me we weren’t dressed right and he needed his bat and so on. I thought you could just got to the batting cages in jeans and a shirt. That’s what they wear in the movies?

21 Karla May 8, 2011 at 4:36 am

Ahh! I’m so jealous!! I have to wait til I’m back in the US at the end of the month to see it!
I love Ginnifer Goodwin but having a super hard time seeing Kate Hudson as Darcy!
Glad to hear it was cute!
Karla recently posted..My Newest Obsession

22 VeggieGirl May 8, 2011 at 6:09 am

Haha, your last statement answers the question in my blog post πŸ˜€

23 Katherine: Unemployed May 8, 2011 at 6:53 am

would you ever consider living in NYC?
Katherine: Unemployed recently posted..Brenda and Oliver

24 Meghann May 8, 2011 at 7:25 am

It’s fun to visit, but I’m soooo not a full time city girl. I want a house with a yard too much.

25 Christine @ Burning It Off May 8, 2011 at 7:00 am

How did Derek like the movie? I don’t think I could convince my boyfriend to watch that lol….

26 Meghann May 8, 2011 at 7:26 am

He never gave his full opinion, but he did make a point that he was one of three guys in the theater.

27 Bethany May 8, 2011 at 8:29 am

Ginnifer Goodwin was also in He’s just not that into you, which I thought was pretty good. I think my mom wants to see this movie so hopefully I’ll be able to go with her because from the previews it looked good.

28 Julie (Food & Other Things) May 8, 2011 at 10:07 am

I can’t wait to see this movie, I loved the book so much! And the casting seems great!

29 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife May 8, 2011 at 2:20 pm

I thought the book was so fun—so I am stoked to see the movie! Glad you liked it!!

30 Brittney May 9, 2011 at 1:25 pm

I read the book a while ago and am looking forward to seeing the movie sometime soon!
Brittney recently posted..A Friday Night In Dayton

31 Cynthia May 9, 2011 at 3:16 pm

I read the book and saw the m0vie this past weekend. I did not like it at all. I know the book is usually better than the movie, but this adaptation kind of sucked.