A Rare Free Saturday

by Meghann on May 7, 2011

Happy Saturday Everyone!

This is the first weekend in a while where I have absolutely no plans. πŸ™‚

Of course, that doesn’t stop me from trying to make them. Last night as Derek and I were driving around he kept pointing random landmarks out and I would immediately reply with ‘ohhhh… we should do THAT tomorrow.’ Sitting at home is not in my nature.

Last night was a relatively low key night in.

Derek and I both had a random craving for breakfast skillets and since we’re trying to cut back on how much we eat out (it’s been getting a little out of hand lately!), we challenged ourselves with staying in and recreating the breakfast skillets ourselves.

Not exactly the same greasy skillet you’ll find at any of our favorite diners, but it did the job. πŸ™‚

The skillet started with chopped potatoes and onion. Once the potatoes were soft we added tempeh, mushroom, broccoli, and spinach. The eggs were added last and I topped my portion with swiss cheese and salsa.

Plus a piece of toast with jelly on the side.

After dinner conversation:

“Let’s go see a movie!”

“Ok, as long as it’s not Prom.” (Confession: I really want to see Prom. πŸ™‚ )

“Fair enough. Something Borrowed?”

“Alright, but only because there’s nothing else playing.”

Woo hoo!

Unfortunately it turned into a wild goose chase. The first two theaters were sold out, then we stumbled upon a drive-in theater (had no idea we had one!) that was only $7, but it was cash only and we only had $5 in cash. Boo.

We ended up renting due date from the $1 Blockbuster kiosk and falling asleep to it in bed.

This morning I was happy to get a 6 mile run in.

I found a new route in my neighborhood that included a 2 mile stretch around a big lake. It was really pretty and the perfect way to start a Saturday.

Breakfast

Cantaloupes are inching their way back into season. πŸ™‚ This makes me happy!

1/2 a fresh Cantaloupe filled with Superfruit Oikos and topped with Kashi Go Lean Crisp

Now, what to do on my planless Saturday?

hmmm…. Derek did promise to take me to the batting cages. Derek LOVES baseball and I’ve never hit a ball in my life. Should be fun!

1 Kristy @ KristyRuns May 7, 2011 at 9:46 am

Oooh! That breakfast looks perfect after a run! I’m currently downing a smoothie bowl after my 7 miler. I need to try the cantaloupe idea though! Have a fun day!
Kristy @ KristyRuns recently posted..European Dinners

2 Amy May 7, 2011 at 9:47 am

Oh my gosh that cantalope looks AMAZING!!! Sounds like you were productive so far today; great run!! Have a wonderful Saturday!
Amy recently posted..hmph

3 Chad @ thebreakupnote May 7, 2011 at 9:47 am

The cantaloupe is the bowl… woooooow do you eat the whole cantaloupe? That would be impressive.

it is not in my nature to be at home on a sunny Saturday either. I can’t even stand it.. it’s like time stops and says “I won’t budge until you budge”
Chad @ thebreakupnote recently posted..It All Tasted A Little Better- Today…

4 Ellie @ The Mommyist May 7, 2011 at 9:50 am

I’ve never gone to the batting cages either. You should do that so I can know if it’s fun. I’ve always expected it would be. Kinda like how I hated golf when I gave it a chance but I loved going to the driving range.
Ellie @ The Mommyist recently posted..Bridge to the Past

5 Kate (What Kate is Cooking) May 7, 2011 at 9:51 am

Lucky you! My plans include a research paper and huge project :/
Kate (What Kate is Cooking) recently posted..OC Half Marathon

6 Liv @ The Salty n' Sweet May 7, 2011 at 9:56 am

Ooh that’s such a cool method of eating cantaloupe! No dishes required. I’m dying to see something borrowed, even though it got awful ratings. And it’s awesome that you have a drive-in movie theater so close. Maybe you should try again with that tonight?
Liv @ The Salty n’ Sweet recently posted..Beat the Heat

7 Michelle May 7, 2011 at 9:58 am

We were going to see Something Borrowed last night but saw Fast Five instead. It was alright.
Michelle recently posted..Our Move to Germany

8 Kacy May 7, 2011 at 10:01 am

That skillet looks great! I actually want to see Something Borrowed – love Kate Hudson! Have a fun free Saturday!
Kacy recently posted..Cake Theory

9 Jenny @ Fitness Health and Food May 7, 2011 at 10:05 am

Have a great saturday together!

you deserve a little time “off” πŸ™‚

10 Emily @ Perfection Isn't Happy May 7, 2011 at 10:43 am

I saw Something Borrowed yesterday…it is very good!
Emily @ Perfection Isn’t Happy recently posted..In with the new

11 Mimi May 7, 2011 at 10:49 am

Ohh, the batting cages sound like fun! I’ve never done that before either!
Mimi recently posted..Flashback- high school dances

12 Amy May 7, 2011 at 11:18 am

That breakfast is a great idea. Yum!
Amy recently posted..pretzel

13 Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun May 7, 2011 at 11:31 am

I ADORE the rare plan free Saturday. Such a nice break. Enjoy it!!!

And I love the idea of a yogurt cantaloupe bowl. Must try.
Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun recently posted..My Ideal Day

14 Mac May 7, 2011 at 11:48 am

Good luck at the cages! I can’t wait for all the delicious veggies and fruits to come back in season too!
Mac recently posted..Zumba Fiesta!

15 Kelly T. May 7, 2011 at 11:54 am

I saw Something Borrowed last night…SO cute! Definitely go see it if you have a chance. πŸ™‚

Also, I haven’t eaten breakfast yet, and this post just made me SO hungry…!

16 Holly @ The Runny Egg May 7, 2011 at 11:55 am

Enjoy your planless Saturday! Those are my favorite type of weekends.
Holly @ The Runny Egg recently posted..Pizza Bread

17 Shannon May 7, 2011 at 12:19 pm

I went to see something borrowed last night with my boyfriend. I thought it was really cute and I especially liked it since i read the book years ago. Of course the first thing he says when it’s over is “that was horrible” haha o well he can pick next time.
Shannon recently posted..Day 1

18 Amanda May 7, 2011 at 12:24 pm

I love weekends sometimes when I have no plans….sometimes plans just create themselves in a spontaneous way, and the weekend ends up being just as fun!
Amanda recently posted..Just a little honesty…

19 Christine May 7, 2011 at 12:28 pm

What a foreign concept- a free Saturday! Have fun at the batting cages- keep your eye on the ball!
Christine recently posted..Fun For the Whole Family

20 VeggieGirl May 7, 2011 at 1:18 pm

Enjoy your relaxing day! πŸ™‚

21 Sarah K May 7, 2011 at 1:42 pm

yumm cantalope. Enjoy your weekend, whatever you do. Did you enjoy Due Date?
Sarah K recently posted..Doctor Who meets James Bond

22 Lauren @ Sweet and Twisted May 7, 2011 at 1:49 pm

Batting cages sounds like a great date! I wonder if I have the patience to learn from my husband… πŸ™‚ Sometimes we throw a football around but I just can’t get it to spin!
Lauren @ Sweet and Twisted recently posted..Peaceful Friday

23 Emily @ Savory and Savage May 7, 2011 at 2:13 pm

Batting cages are really fun – you will have a blast.

I love skillet breakfast – it is a great way to use up leftover cooked veggies.
Emily @ Savory and Savage recently posted..Protein oatcakes

24 Karolina May 7, 2011 at 2:28 pm

What a fun way to serve breakfast! Also, Your skillet breakfast has me thinking about a new creation I’d like to try for dinner. Hmmmm… Enjoy a day of rest:)
Karolina recently posted..When It Comes to Loss- Remember Part 2

25 Elena @ GagaForGrapefruit May 7, 2011 at 3:11 pm

open Saturdays are the BEST! go where the wind takes you! but batting cages should be fun! enjoy!
Elena @ GagaForGrapefruit recently posted..in an instant

26 Emma (Namaste Everyday) May 7, 2011 at 4:42 pm

I love that idea for a cantaloupe yoghurt bowl! I love cantaloupe! I hope it’s still in season once I’m back in the US this July.
Emma (Namaste Everyday) recently posted..Glacier Country