Cinco de Mayo

by Meghann on May 6, 2011

Happy Cinco de Mayo!

someecards.com - Cinco de Mayo makes me long for a world in which all holidays are conveniently named after the dates on which they fall

Ironically I didn’t realize it was Cinco de Mayo until after lunch time.

My old college self would be so ashamed of that fact.

100_0875.JPG

No comment. πŸ˜‰

Actually that photo is from Carlos ‘n’ Charlie’s in Cozumel from 2006.

Here’s another one.

100_0895.JPG

And another from the same album.

100_0858.JPG

And now I want to go on another cruise.

Moving along… what was my point again?… oh yeah – Cinco de Mayo.

In the spirit of Cinco De Mayo we had a Mexican inspired dinner because what’s Cinco de Mayo without tacos?

This was a tempeh based taco. I crumbled the the tempeh like ground beef then cooked it with a homemade taco seasoning consisting of chili powder, cumin, and adobo spices. πŸ™‚

Also on the taco:

Pureed Pinto Beans

Spinach

Cheese

Tomato

Salsa

Olives

Served with roasted okra.

We met friends for drinks at Chilis after dinner.

My heart was set on a beer, but when I read the options none of them jumped out at me. Instead of drinking simply because everyone else was drinking I decided to go with what I really wanted – water.

I drank 3 glasses and I could probably still drink more. I must be dehydrated.

When we got back home a couple of hours later I had an Attune Chocolate Bar.

It’s midnight and the alarm is set for 6:00am. It’s going to be a long day tomorrow.

Good Night!

1 Kate (What Kate is Cooking) May 6, 2011 at 12:08 am

Midnight to 6 am has been my sleep schedule recently too! I need to get to bed earlier…
Kate (What Kate is Cooking) recently posted..OC Half Marathon

2 Emma (Namaste Everyday) May 6, 2011 at 12:19 am

good girl! I drank a margarita and it was a bad choice…lol
Emma (Namaste Everyday) recently posted..Glacier Country

3 Ellie @ The Mommyist May 6, 2011 at 12:31 am

Wow you look tan in that photo with the white shorts!

4 Meghann May 6, 2011 at 8:17 am

It was a 7 day cruise. I was 22. I miss that.

5 Elena @ GagaForGrapefruit May 6, 2011 at 12:34 am

how fun are those cinco de mayo pictures from college!! tempeh tacos sound good! i have tempeh sitting in my fridge right now because i’ve never had it before!! woo can’t wait to try!
Elena @ GagaForGrapefruit recently posted..in an instant

6 Liv @ The Salty n' Sweet May 6, 2011 at 3:28 am

I had a very similar night, though my tacos weren’t vegetarian or homemade. Skipped on the alcohol cause I wasn’t feeling it. It was a great choice πŸ™‚
Liv @ The Salty n’ Sweet recently posted..A Mexican Evening

7 VeggieGirl May 6, 2011 at 6:39 am

Love the flashback photo and the tacos!
VeggieGirl recently posted..Back To The Big Apple We Go!- Part 4

8 Lauren May 6, 2011 at 6:45 am

I almost forgot that it was Cinco De Mayo as well! Good thing there are multiple sources of media to remind of this holiday. πŸ™‚ What would we do without the social connections of FB, Twitter and Blogs! πŸ™‚
Lauren recently posted..WINNER of the Glass Dharma Giveaway

9 Jumanah @ Healthy Living in the Middle East May 6, 2011 at 6:52 am

Dinner looks fabulous! I’m sure you will be very happy in the morning that you stuck to water!
Jumanah @ Healthy Living in the Middle East recently posted..Party in my mouth

10 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey May 6, 2011 at 7:31 am

Chili’s has the best margaritas! I would have stuck to water too – I don’t usuallyfeel pressured to drink when others are!
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..realist ravioli

11 Katie B May 6, 2011 at 7:45 am

Can you share the measurements in your taco mix? I always want to make my own taco mix and it’s always disastrous. (I am not very intuitive in the kitchen; I need a set of instructions.)
Katie B recently posted..Smartly- On eating insects

12 Meghann May 6, 2011 at 8:18 am

I don’t have any exact measurements. Just heavy on the chili powder, medium on the adobo spice, light on the cumin and a dash of salt and pepper.

13 Holly @ The Runny Egg May 6, 2011 at 7:47 am

I do that too — if I can’t decide on a drink I just go with water. But usually I’ll get a rum/coke – those are the best!
Holly @ The Runny Egg recently posted..Pizza Bread

14 Hope May 6, 2011 at 8:17 am

I love the tacos! Mexican food is my absolute favorite! πŸ™‚ I love how your hair looks in that picture of you with it long and curly! So pretty! πŸ™‚
Hope recently posted..Buffalo Chicken Sliders…

15 Mac May 6, 2011 at 8:25 am

Cinco De Mayo totally slipped up on me this year too. I didn’t realize that it was Cinco De Mayo yesterday until I talked to my boyfriend yesterday morning.
Mac recently posted..Burrito Lasagna

16 Shutupandrun May 6, 2011 at 8:47 am

I miss college.

17 Kacy May 6, 2011 at 8:53 am

The tacos look great. I had a margarita and a vegetarian potato burrito. Twas delicious!

18 Laura S. May 6, 2011 at 1:47 pm

What was in the potato burrito?

19 Kacy May 6, 2011 at 1:53 pm

Hmmm.. potatoes, tomatoes and black beans I think? Topped with cheese and red sauce!
Kacy recently posted..Cake Theory

20 Mimi May 6, 2011 at 9:35 am

That homemade taco looks 100x better than those in our greasy Mexican food places!

Have you and Kelly always been such great friends? It’s cool that you siblings are so close!
Mimi recently posted..Classic pairs

21 Kelly May 6, 2011 at 10:46 am

It’s not ironic that you didn’t know the date…and did you tip the server whose section you sat in while filling up on water? You were clearly not a waitress ever, but common courtesy on one of their busiest nights of the year would be to throw him/her a buck.

22 Heather May 6, 2011 at 2:10 pm

OMG yall look so different! Kelly especially, so young! I love old pictures.
Heather recently posted..Friday Favorites- Foam Roller