more ยป" />

Double Genius

by Meghann on May 3, 2011

Two genius ideas came from tonight’s dinner.

#1. Ranch Flavored Pizza Crust

The Lay’s Dip Creation Country Ranch Seasoning Mix was a freebie via the Foodbuzz Tastemaker’s program. Half of the packet had seasoned some roasted vegetables a couple of weeks ago and tonight I thought it would be fun to add the remaining half to some homemade pizza dough.

I was channeling Hungry Howie’s Ranch Flavored Crust of yore. Did anyone else live off of Hungry Howie’s $5 pizzas in college? Anyone?

In case you were wondering I followed my new favorite pizza crust recipe – the one found on the back of the packet of yeast. (Also, found online here. )

#2. Sweet Potato ‘Sauce’

I started preparing the pizza assuming we had pizza sauce. We didn’t. Derek had finished off the last jar while I was out of town and my assumed stockpile had depleted. The no-tomato sauce situation had me thinking fast on my feet. I was planning on adding sweet potato to the pizza anyways, why not mash it up and turn it into the base instead of a topping?

Other toppings included: raisins, almonds, mushrooms, onion, and goat cheese.

Genius. It was all genius. ๐Ÿ™‚

The ranch crust was subtle, yet flavorful. And the sweet potato and fall themed toppings worked together perfectly.

The addition of the raisins enhanced the natural sweetness of the sweet potato, the goat cheese added a saltiness, and the almonds added a necessary crunch to each bite.

I had a random pickle craving at dinner time. ๐Ÿ™‚

Awesome dinner.

It had been a long day leading up to dinner. I’ve basically been on my computer for 10 hours straight. Lots to catch up on, but boy it feels good to get stuff done!

I broke for lunch around noon and kept it simple with some hummus toast and a veggie-ful salad.

Salad contents:

• Spinach
  • Cucumber
  • Goat Cheese
  • Almonds
  • Mushrooms
  • Tomato
  • Onion
  • Carrot
  • Vidalia Onion Dressing

The hummus toast was originally suppose to be a sandwich, but the idea of eating it open face was a lot more appealing. ๐Ÿ™‚

I had an apple as a snack this afternoon (no photo) and 1/2 a brownie for dessert this evening.

Good News!

We fixed the internet. Turns out I had wired the router wrong when I switched them out. Oops!

Time to put the computer away.

Good Night!

1 Holly @ The Runny Egg May 3, 2011 at 10:17 pm

I love the idea of sweet potato as the sauce! Good call.
Holly @ The Runny Egg recently posted..Pizza Bread

2 Liv @ The Salty n' Sweet May 3, 2011 at 10:17 pm

That pizza looks/sounds mindblowing! I never would have thought to put ranch seasoning in the crust, or use sweet potato as a sauce. And I love sweet things with goat cheese. YUM!
Liv @ The Salty n’ Sweet recently posted..Buckwheat Noodles- Two Ways

3 River May 3, 2011 at 10:23 pm

Interesting idea for a pizza!
River recently posted..Gifts – Mini Haul

4 Jamie aka "Sometimes Healthy" Girl May 3, 2011 at 10:24 pm

Ranch in the crust and sweet potatoes as sauce. You are one creative cooker! I wish I could have that pizza right now! Can you fedex pizza pretty please?
Jamie aka “Sometimes Healthy” Girl recently posted..The Budget Diet Kitchen Raid- Snooki Inspired- Sometimes Healthy Approved

5 Courtney @ The Granola Chronicles May 3, 2011 at 10:36 pm

Oh heavens! That pizza looks so DELICIOUS! You, my friend, are a foodie genius. ๐Ÿ™‚

6 McKayla (green groats) May 3, 2011 at 11:21 pm

That is genius! Sweet potato sauce is the best new pizza idea I’ve heard in a long time!! Thanks for sharing. I can’t wait to try this out. So creative.
McKayla (green groats) recently posted..Fruit and Salmon Salad

7 Jamie@everydaydolce May 4, 2011 at 12:42 am

Wow…I am so impressed with your creative pizza idea! I need to make that sometime soon. Yum!
Jamie@everydaydolce recently posted..Surreal

8 Kate (What Kate is Cooking) May 4, 2011 at 12:45 am

I love your taste in food- sweet potatoes, cheese and raisins are some of my favorite foods!
Kate (What Kate is Cooking) recently posted..OC Half Marathon

9 Alaina May 4, 2011 at 12:48 am

That pizza looks so good! There’s a harvest pizza at a few restaurants in Boston that have squash as a base. It’s so delicious.
Alaina recently posted..GBCA Trade Show 2011

10 Emma (Namaste Everyday) May 4, 2011 at 6:13 am

I want to make that pizza so so badly! Yummmm times a million!
Emma (Namaste Everyday) recently posted..Glacier Country

11 Allison @ OneWhiteTulip May 4, 2011 at 6:18 am

Haha, Meghann, you eat the weirdest things sometimes.

Stupid boys always eat your food. It’s like they have a radar and they can pick up on whatever you’re craving. Say you’re running and craving leftover pizza when you get home. The boy will suddenly think ,”Mm, pizza! We have some! Yay!”

Then you will come home. And there will be no pizza. And you will be sad.
Allison @ OneWhiteTulip recently posted..Mourning a Furry Murder

12 Christine @ Burning It Off May 4, 2011 at 6:24 am

That is one awesome pizza! I’ve had sweet potato as a pizza topping but never as the sauce. Great idea.
Christine @ Burning It Off recently posted..Step and Flow

13 The Teenage Taste May 4, 2011 at 6:45 am

I’m loving the sound of a Ranch-flavored pizza crust! I must try that next time I make pizza!
The Teenage Taste recently posted..Triple Chocolate Nutella Cookies

14 Lauren May 4, 2011 at 6:47 am

Brilliant thinking with the sweet potato. I bet you didn’t even miss the sauce with all of those incredible flavors.
Lauren recently posted..WINNER of the Glass Dharma Giveaway

15 Caitlin May 4, 2011 at 7:47 am

the pizza looks super yummy!

also, I wish I could eat a brownie after dinner and be satisfied. If I eat one brownie, I will end up eating 3 brownies. So I just try to stay far from… I so wish I had your balanced eating habits (when related to sweets)!

have a nice day Meghann ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚

16 Jumanah @ Healthy Living in the Middle East May 4, 2011 at 7:49 am

YUM! That pizza looks amazing! I love ranch flavored anything!
Jumanah @ Healthy Living in the Middle East recently posted..Hungry!

17 Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun May 4, 2011 at 8:00 am

No doubt. That is a genius creation.

18 Kara May 4, 2011 at 8:17 am

You have outdone yourself ma’am. That may be one of the oddest combos yet (sweet potato/ranch seasoning/raisins??). Heaven help us when the day comes and you get strange pregnancy cravings (although maybe that would make you crave normal food versus funky pizza with a pickle on the side?)
Kara recently posted..Some days

19 Hope May 4, 2011 at 8:32 am

What an interesting pizza! I would never think to use sweet potatoes! It looks like it would be good though! ๐Ÿ™‚

Glad that you fixed the internet!

20 Courtney May 4, 2011 at 8:55 am

Flavored pizza crust. Why have I never thought of this? Sweet!
Courtney recently posted..Your Soldier Needs You

21 Michelle May 4, 2011 at 9:20 am

oh WOW that looks so good!!! Much better than the pasta and turkey meatballs I cooked for dinner.
Michelle recently posted..Our Move to Germany

22 Jenny @ Fitness Health and Food May 4, 2011 at 9:32 am

ohh I haven’t used those packets in years, that is a genius idea! Looks scrumptious!

23 Alison (Fueling for Fitness) May 4, 2011 at 9:38 am

Ahhhh that sounds delicious!!!! I want a slice of that pizza!
Alison (Fueling for Fitness) recently posted..The trials and tribulations of hill repeats

24 miranda @ working mom works out May 4, 2011 at 10:09 am

That looks super, duper yum!!

25 Jenn May 4, 2011 at 10:15 am

Does 2 pieces of pizza actually fill you up?

26 Halley (Blunder Construction) May 4, 2011 at 10:53 am

Sweet potato sauce IS genius! I have got to try that, maybe with some dates and feta cheese!
Halley (Blunder Construction) recently posted..Breaking and Entering

27 Kacy May 4, 2011 at 10:55 am

That pizza does sound genius! I love ranch!

28 Katie G. May 4, 2011 at 11:27 am

Everything about you dinner looks amazing, down to the brownie! That bread looks yummy, what kind is it?

29 nacho lindsay May 4, 2011 at 11:43 am

That pizza combo is genius! I bet sweet potatoes would be good on nachos.
nacho lindsay recently posted..Island Bar and Grill- Omaha NE

30 Amy May 4, 2011 at 3:15 pm

Oh yum! That is genius!
Amy recently posted..Wednesday weigh in- Fat

31 Tara May 4, 2011 at 7:27 pm

That pizza is a great idea! I’ve been itching for non-typical pizzas and this will be next on my list.

Do you ever have any snacks after you have dessert? I’m curious if most bloggers snack at night.

Thanks for sharing all your great info! love your blog – I read it every day.

32 Meghann May 4, 2011 at 8:23 pm

No snacks. I usually eat dessert, blog, and go to bed. I’ve never been much of a nighttime snacker. Maybe because I go to bed so early?