The Long Drive Home

by Meghann on May 1, 2011

We made! We’re back in Florida! Woo hoo!

What a whirlwind of a trip.

• 4 days
  • 4 people
  • 5 states
  • 24 hrs+ in a car
  • 5 hrs of marathon spectating
  • 1 hr gained and lost going in and out of central time zone
  • 1 tired Meghann

And I’m not even technically ‘home’ yet. That’s a journey I’ll finish tomorrow. πŸ™‚

We started the day saying good bye to our cabin in Tennessee.

Bye Cabin! Next time we’ll try to visit longer!

We had three bagels left from the two full bags we purchased before the trip – just enough for a final breakfast before hitting the road.

I topped half of a bagel with honey peanut butter, nutella, and apple butter and had an apple on the side.

We hit the road just after 9:00am and started our 9 hour drive home.

I spent the first half of the drive napping and reading The New Rules of Lifting for Women (LOVING it so far! Already feeling inspired to hit the gym tomorrow for some weights.)

We stopped for lunch at a random Subway, which seemed to be the easiest choice for off the highway food.

IMG_6292.jpg

I ordered the Sweet Onion Teriyaki Chicken with lots of veggies and no cheese.

IMG_6294.jpg

Plus, Sun Chips. I find it pretty difficult to eat a sub without chips. πŸ™‚

IMG_6300.jpg

Post-lunch entertainment

And then I got bored.

IMG_6314.JPG IMG_6315.JPG IMG_6316.JPG IMG_6317.JPG

Car rides are BORING. Driving is even worse. I’m as bad as a 5 year old when it comes to sitting still for so long. Must. Get. Up. And. Move. πŸ™‚

p.s. check out my new Savannah Marathon shirt I received for registering at the expo on Friday.

What can I say? I’m easily swayed by pretty things. πŸ™‚

I took over driving right before Georgia.

The 2+ hrs in the driving seat actually went pretty smoothly.

I didn’t fall asleep and I didn’t crash. Win. Win. πŸ™‚

Kelly fed me dried mango while I drove.

And Ben crashed hard in the backseat.

Isn’t he cute?

We arrived save and sound at my parents’ home in Titusville just around dinner time.

Dad had a feast waiting for us.

And we wasted no time diving in.

Pork. Veggie Casserole. Roasted Potatoes. Yum. πŸ™‚

Dad was particularly proud of his veggie casserole. He begged for a photo just of it.

One day I’m going to write a post specifically dedicated to my Dad and explain why he’s the best Dad in the world, but here’s a little insight. When Kelly became a vegetarian last year he didn’t bat an eye. Instead of complaining about her not eating his yummy meat creations anymore, he simply expanded his cooking horizons and now if he plans to make any meat based meals (like the pork tonight) he ALWAYS makes sure there’s a veggie option for Kelly to enjoy as well. The above veggie casserole was based off a recipe her found online just for Kelly. How awesome is that?

Best Dad in the world. Seriously. πŸ™‚

I had a serving of vanilla ice cream with a crumbled oreo for dessert.

I’m still over 2 hours away from my home in Tampa and way too exhausted to make the trek tonight. I’ll save that drive for the morning, when I have more energy.

Instead, I’m catching up on trash tv and calling it a night.

Good Night!

1 Kristy @ KristyRuns May 1, 2011 at 8:39 pm

That Savannah marathon t-shirt is awesome! I’m hoping to do that one, too! πŸ™‚ P.S. Nothing’s better than a nice home cooked meal after a long day of driving!
Kristy @ KristyRuns recently posted..Big Peach 5k

2 River May 1, 2011 at 8:40 pm

I can’t stand travelling in a car for hours. Well done for managing it!
River recently posted..May – NZMM

3 Allie (Live Laugh Eat) May 1, 2011 at 8:44 pm

The paragraph about your dad melted my heart! And begging you to take a photo? Too cute.

4 Kacy May 1, 2011 at 8:44 pm

Your dad’s cooking always looks fabulous. Nothing like a parent-cooked meal, right?
Glad you made it back ok!
Kacy recently posted..Parents Weekend

5 shorty May 1, 2011 at 8:45 pm

Sounds like you DO have the best Dad ever! High five him from all your bloggy friends!!hehe

6 Mary May 1, 2011 at 8:48 pm

That veggie casserole looks awesome! Any chance that your dad would be willing to share the recipe?

7 Kara May 1, 2011 at 8:50 pm

9 hours in the car is tough, but I’m jealous of you being able to read and watch a movie. I get way too carsick to do that! I pretty much have to drive or at least look to the horizon to avoid yakking. Also, 9 hours in the car with a squirmy baby sounds like Dante’s 7th circle of hell to me. πŸ™‚
Kara recently posted..Angry birds

8 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife May 1, 2011 at 8:53 pm

I am the SAME with being in a car- YIKEs πŸ™ I hate sitting still. My poor husband has to deal with me-ha.

Love that veggie casserole idea.

9 briana May 1, 2011 at 8:56 pm

10 briana May 1, 2011 at 8:57 pm

savannah is so amazing! I’m jealous you get to run in such beautiful scenery! You will definitely enjoy it, I visited the city in March and had the best time, but walked so much I never actually ran πŸ™‚

11 Amy May 1, 2011 at 8:58 pm

I’d sign up for the Savannah marathon just for the t-shirt! I love it!

I’m a freak, also: I LOVE long road trips.
Amy recently posted..be still- my soul

12 Lish May 1, 2011 at 9:03 pm

I always like the idea of a long road trip adventure until we’re about 3 or so hours in and my butt has gone numb.

13 Leah @ L4L May 1, 2011 at 9:05 pm

I love NROL4W! I’m doing the program for the second time and am about to wrap up Stage 5. Feel free to check out my recaps! http://leftoversforlunch.com/2011/04/16/new-rules-of-lifting-for-women-stage-4/
Leah @ L4L recently posted..Happy Friday!

14 Meghann May 1, 2011 at 9:19 pm

Thanks! I want to find a way to incorporate the program into my HIM training. Do you think it’s possible?

15 Leah @ L4L May 1, 2011 at 9:27 pm

Yes, the program typically calls for lifting 3x a week but you can knock it down to two. In the early stages, it is easy to follow it up with a light short run but you won’t want to do that in the later stages which incorporate some HIIT so that could be speed work days I suppose. It takes about 6-7 months to complete as written from start to finish.
Leah @ L4L recently posted..Happy Friday!

16 Holly @ The Runny Egg May 1, 2011 at 9:07 pm

Your dad sounds so sweet! And the food he made looks fantastic.

You’ve reminded me to add Big Love to my Netflix queue – I have wanted to see that for a while now!
Holly @ The Runny Egg recently posted..Pizza Bread

17 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey May 1, 2011 at 9:07 pm

I love road trips, so I would be having a BLAST right now!
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..realist ravioli

18 Paula @ Eat: Watch: Run May 1, 2011 at 9:08 pm

I’m already registered for Savannah and that shirt makes me want to register again. SUPER cute!
Paula @ Eat: Watch: Run recently posted..Weekend Recap

19 Ash Bear May 1, 2011 at 9:13 pm

Everything looks delicious especially the veggie casserole!! Have a safe drive home tomorrow!

20 Julie @ Wearing Mascara May 1, 2011 at 9:14 pm

Glad you are safe and sound. I love when family members are so accommodating of food choices. So impressive!

21 Hilary May 1, 2011 at 9:17 pm

That is so sweet about your dad making veggie-friendly dishes…and I agree…very cute shirt!
Hilary recently posted..Wet and Wonderful

22 jodie May 1, 2011 at 9:19 pm

Dinner looks yummy .
jodie recently posted..Calorie Blaster and Crunchless Abs

23 Grace May 1, 2011 at 9:31 pm

Looks like so much fun! LOVE your shirt! I’ve been thinking about signing up for the Savannah Half Marathon, I’ve never been there and what a great excuse for a trip!
Grace recently posted..My Summer Essentials- First Ever Giveaway!

24 Emily @ Comfortable Home Life May 1, 2011 at 9:34 pm

And I thought my drive from Greenville, SC to Nashville was long (around 6 hours)! I once drove from Greenville SC to New York City (around 12 hours).. never again! I’m just like you, I get antsy in the car. Glad to see everyone made it there and back safe and sound!
Emily @ Comfortable Home Life recently posted..Chocolate Parfait Day No Way!

25 Lauri (RedHeadRecipes.com) May 1, 2011 at 9:39 pm

Looks like y’all had a FUN (And LONG) road trip! Glad you made it back safe!
Lauri (RedHeadRecipes.com) recently posted..And β€˜Cho’ Winner Is…

26 Krystina (Organically Me) May 1, 2011 at 9:48 pm

That shirt is beaaaautifu.
Krystina (Organically Me) recently posted..My Thoughts on Spring

27 Krystina (Organically Me) May 1, 2011 at 9:49 pm

beautiful* :p

28 Christine May 1, 2011 at 9:52 pm

I love that shirt- that’s pretty classy for Rock & Roll! And the cabin is adorable.
Christine recently posted..The Good- the Bad- and the Okay- April Reviews

29 Katy (The Singing Runner) May 1, 2011 at 9:52 pm

I’m also reading that book. I just started it and I LOVE it so far!!!

30 Alaina May 1, 2011 at 10:01 pm

If I ever go to Subway, that’s the one I always get. It’s delicious. πŸ™‚

I’m tired just from reading about your weekend!
Alaina recently posted..Appreciation

31 rebecca lustig May 1, 2011 at 10:18 pm

im getting more into strength training/weight lifting- ill have to check out that book!

rest well πŸ™‚

32 Ally (oatsandspice) May 1, 2011 at 10:22 pm

Wow what a beautiful cabin in Tennessee! How often do you make it up there? Glad you hear that you had a good trip (minus all of the driving)! Props to your dad for cooking you up a delicious meal πŸ™‚
Ally (oatsandspice) recently posted..Pictures Say 1000 Words

33 Ashley May 1, 2011 at 10:34 pm

The Savannah t-shirt is so awesome! I used to hate car rides when I was younger but now I just use the time to meditate. That’s so sweet about your dad.

34 Kalli May 1, 2011 at 10:35 pm

You do have a great dad meghann! Actually it seems like you have an awesome family overall πŸ™‚

35 Liv @ The Salty n' Sweet May 1, 2011 at 11:13 pm

Aw please write a post on your dad! Every time you mention him, it’s always so sweet πŸ™‚

And I wish my mom reacted like your dad when I became vegetarian. She threw a fit and tried to sneak meat into my food!
Liv @ The Salty n’ Sweet recently posted..Coconut Pineapple Chicken

36 Emma (Namaste Everyday) May 1, 2011 at 11:15 pm

that shirt is soooo cute! I have only done one race in my life…and no shirt! Big bummer. Guess I just gotta do more!
Emma (Namaste Everyday) recently posted..Glacier Country

37 Khushboo May 2, 2011 at 1:06 am

Your dad is a gem! It’s so great to have the support of our loved ones!
Khushboo recently posted..Rock-bottom motivation

38 Brenna [fabuleuxdestin] May 2, 2011 at 4:17 am

I don’t think my dad even understands with a vegetarian is! And he definitely does not cook. Haha. What a cute little family dinner!
Brenna [fabuleuxdestin] recently posted..Meuse Living- part i

39 Christine @ Burning It Off May 2, 2011 at 7:45 am

I’m reading NROL4W as well based on many recommendations (yours included!). I really like the author’s straightforward, no B.S. approach.
Christine @ Burning It Off recently posted..UFC Comes to TO

40 Carly (Swim, Run, Om) May 2, 2011 at 8:23 am

I’m glad you’re running Savannah! I’m seriously thinking about it … I’m going back and forth between the full and 1/2. It would be my first for either. πŸ™‚
Carly (Swim, Run, Om) recently posted..Fashion Icons

41 Hope May 2, 2011 at 9:05 am

What a fun trip you had! I don’t know if I would be able to sit in a car for that long of a drive. You are brave! Haha! That food that your dad made looks great! What a great chef! πŸ™‚

42 Marisa E May 2, 2011 at 11:45 am

Love your new t-shirt!! I was at a race expo on Friday for the Philadelphia Broad Street Run (10 miler) and signed up for the RnR Philadelphia Half September 18th. The t-shirt was too cute to pass up- so was the $10 off registration fee! It’s my motivation to keep me running all summer- this will be my first half!

43 Katherine: Unemployed May 2, 2011 at 1:04 pm

are you doing the rock and roll in Savannah? I’m thinking about it!

44 Paige (Two Runners And A Brown Dog) May 2, 2011 at 2:07 pm

I cannot imagine running a marathon then riding in the car for that long!!! πŸ™
Paige (Two Runners And A Brown Dog) recently posted..National Cornbread Festival 5K Champion

45 Katie G. May 2, 2011 at 2:08 pm

Veggie casarole looks yummy, and so does your dessert!! I just got back in town last night and had almost a 5 hour car ride….it is so hard to sit still the entire time, I know how you feel.
Katie G. recently posted..Work Hard- Play Hard

46 Taylor (Delish World) May 2, 2011 at 3:38 pm

I love how into cooking your dad is. And his creations always looks so awesome. Go dad! That book is on my list to buy. I love lifting and I love the tag-line on the book. “Lift like a man. Look like a goddess.”
Taylor (Delish World) recently posted..Good News