Gearing Up

by Meghann on April 29, 2011

High Five!

We made is to Nashville in one piece this morning.

Kelly drove

Ben navigated

Ashley worked

And I took a lot of annoying photos. :)

I also had a pretzel.

We arrived in Nashville around noon Nashville time (1:00pm Florida time) and were more than ready for lunch. None of us had been to Nashville before or had the faintest idea on where to eat. After a quick search on Yelp and a couple of desperate tweets, we ran into a local in the parking garage who happily pointed us down the street to Puckett’s Grocery Restaurant.

Sometimes talking to a local who knows the area is just the way to go. Puckett’s was a really cute restaurant with a menu full of good ole country cooking and a delicious barbeque aroma that circled the block. It was the perfect find for us.

I wanted several things off of the menu, but decided to stick with my ‘ordering outside the box’ theme for the weekend and ordered something I wouldn’t normally choose. The Pimento Cheese Sandwich instantly caught my eye on that matter. I had never seen the option on a menu before and knew I had to give it a try.

Admittedly I was a tad disappointed when it first arrived. It was cheese and bread. Nothing else. (minus the turnip greens that were really good)

A quick request for tomato, lettuce, pickle, and a squirt of BBQ sauce instantly spiced the sandwich up and brought it from a little on the boring side to pretty tasty. :)

It wasn’t anything I would order it again (next time I’d get Ben’s Shrimp Po Boy – that looked tasty!), but it was fun to try once.

After lunch we took a mini walking tour of downtown

And made our way to the race expo!

Nothing like heading to a race expo to make me wish I had signed up for the race too! I wanted to save a little money, so I’m sitting this race out, but the expo had me uber excited for when ever my next race will be.

In typical Rock and Roll fashion everything was very organized. Kelly and Ben moved swiftly and smoothly through check in.

They had their bibs in a matter of minutes without any problems

And Ashley and I took our role as race spectators very seriously. :)

The marathon has the perfect course for spectators. We have a plan to see them at least FIVE times tomorrow! Fingers crossed! :)

Then we got our shop on. Expo style.

IMG_4063.JPG IMG_4064.JPG

IMG_4072.JPG IMG_4073.JPG

Weirdest (but tastiest!) expo sample snack ever

26.2 stickers

Oh, and I may or may not have signed up for another marathon today.

See you in Savannah in November 2011! (I got a free shirt for registering today too!)

We eventually stumbled upon KARA GOUCHER answering questions at Stage B!

My running idol in flesh and bone! She was just as gorgeous and sweet in person. :)

We did a little exploring after the expo and headed to Centennial Park where Ben and Kelly will be starting the race tomorrow.

Everything was already set up and ready to go!

Thanks to your great suggestions we found the perfect place for a pre-race dinner – Bella Napoli Pizzeria.

And we had a special guest!

I’ve been a fan of Heather’s blog Heather Eats Almond Butter for far too long! When I knew we would be in her neck of the woods I was determined to at least enjoy one meal with her. She was so sweet and so friendly, it was a pleasure to finally meet her in person. Love, love Heather! :)

While we chatted up a storm, Kelly and I split a house salad. An amazingly delicious, fresh salad full of mozzarella, tomatoes, and plump kalmative olives. Yum!

And the vegetarian pizza with eggplant, peppers, broccoli rabe, and fresh mozzarella.

The pizza had a melt in your mouth soft, flaky, and buttery crust. I couldn’t of asked for a better meal!

Heather led us to her favorite nearby frozen yogurt place for dessert.

Self serve Coffee, Red Velvet, and Cake Batter loaded with toppings.

I have a toppings problem. Clearly. πŸ˜‰

We’re all settled in and ready for our 4:30am wake up call!

Wish Kelly and Ben luck! They have some serious marathon booty to kick in the morning.

Good Night!

1 Jenny @ Fitness Health and Food April 29, 2011 at 10:54 pm

What a wonderful photoblog!

Man I need to run a race away from where I live, it adds such a fun element to the mix! Were they offering whole pieces of chocolate cake? πŸ˜‰

well best wishes to the runners I know they’ll do awesome. When I’m running my half on Sunday I’ll remember that they’re running 13.1 more miles! have a great time! :)

2 michelle April 29, 2011 at 10:55 pm

They will do great! I’m running a race in Oregon on Sunday and have the pre race jitters
michelle recently posted..Advice- Racing with a head cold

3 katie April 29, 2011 at 10:56 pm

So cool u got to meet HEAB!! She is such a amazing person, as I can tell from her blog!

So much goodness on this post!!!

I have never been to Nashville either but heard its a awesome place!

Good luck Kelly and Ben! I am rooting for you both!! Kick butt!!!!!!
katie recently posted..New Design calls for Cookie Giveaway!

4 Carrie April 29, 2011 at 10:58 pm

Are you planning on going over the river to see them in East Nashville for any of your spectating stops? If so, you MUST make a quick detour to Sweet 16th bakery (on 16th, naturally, just a few blocks south of Eastland). Their baked goods are to die for, especially the brownies, scones, and breakfast sandwich. Oh, and the crow bars are awesome as well.

That’s my neighborhood plug for the day. Have fun! :)
Carrie recently posted..TVandDinners- OK- time to sort through my thoughts Fun fact until review goes live- Supernatural was the first show I ever wrote about for @tvoti

5 Holly @ The Runny Egg April 29, 2011 at 10:58 pm

Good luck to Kelly and Ben!

I am super jealous that you got to meet HEAB!!!
Holly @ The Runny Egg recently posted..Pizza Bread

6 Liv @ The Salty n' Sweet April 29, 2011 at 11:01 pm

What an awesome day! From the chocolate cake samples (YUM) to Kara Goucher, signing up for another race, plus PIZZA and FROYO, everything looks so much fun!

Good luck to Kelly and Ben tomorrow!
Liv @ The Salty n’ Sweet recently posted..Sandwichy Day

7 emily April 29, 2011 at 11:03 pm

1. Your shorts/entire outfit are fricking adorable!
2. That froyo, oh my god, that froyo.
emily recently posted..A Random Assortment

8 Emily April 29, 2011 at 11:08 pm

AHH I can’t believe you were at Sweet Cece’s- I was there tonight too! I’m a vandy student who avidly reads your blog and just want to say I hope you enjoy Nashville! While I was out on a walk this afternoon I saw a few of the portapotty stations/musician stages set up- it seems like its going to be an awesome race.

If you need a good breakfast/lunch place to go to post race I highly recommend Fido- its a coffee shop/cafe that has delicious breakfast that they serve all day and they have a big emphasis on sustainability/local products. Its actually right down the road from Sweet Cece’s. Provence is right there too and I really enjoy their paninis. Bread and Co which is right by Centennial park has awesome build-your-own salads or sandwiches too.

Enjoy your stay in Nashville!

9 Heather Eats Almond Butter April 29, 2011 at 11:14 pm

OK, so I missed Kara Goucher and the pickles?!? Obviously, I was there at the wrong time. And yes, Kara’s got some lovely arms. I’m having total bicep envy right now.

So happy you guys are here and that I got to spend some time with you this evening. I’m really hoping to make it out to the race tomorrow. Tell Ben & Kelly I’ll be cheering for them, along with you and Ashley.

Wishing you guys safe travels tomorrow and you must come back one day for a longer stay…I make really good homemade pimento cheese. :)
Heather Eats Almond Butter recently posted..A Heart For Ginger

10 Sana April 29, 2011 at 11:19 pm

Have a blasty cheering on your siblingssss!
Sana recently posted..I did not blog because

11 Krystina (Organically Me) April 29, 2011 at 11:34 pm

Good luck Kelly & Ben! Kill it! πŸ˜€
Krystina (Organically Me) recently posted..Heads Up

12 Emma April 29, 2011 at 11:40 pm

Awesome on yet another race registration. I am running my first 1/2 marathon at the Savannah Rock ‘n’ Roll and can’t wait!!

13 Kate (What Kate is Cooking) April 29, 2011 at 11:57 pm

Good luck to Kelly and Ben! I can’t wait to read the recap!
Kate (What Kate is Cooking) recently posted..Modesto Half Marathon Recap

14 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife April 30, 2011 at 12:38 am

GOOD luck to them!!! Love your idea of a good fro yo bowl–LOVE toppings :) Have a nice wake-up call….yikes. Have fun spectating.

15 Christine April 30, 2011 at 12:44 am

So jealous you got to see/hear Kara! Love her (even though her new book isn’t the greatest)!
Christine recently posted..Audiobooks for Running- not Reading

16 AK April 30, 2011 at 1:11 am

You look amazing but dang girl… I have VS Pink brand boyshorts that are the size of your khaki shorts! LOL enjoy your weekend in Nashville.

17 Lee April 30, 2011 at 6:54 am

Good luck to your brother and sister. I love that your family is so runner-y.
Lee recently posted..New Belgian Brewing Food Pairing

18 Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun April 30, 2011 at 7:36 am

I’m thinking I may want to do this race for a half next year. Until then though…I will see you in Savannah! I’m officially registered too. Woo!
Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun recently posted..The Undocumented Side

19 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey April 30, 2011 at 8:00 am

How fun! I absolutely love Nashville – but I love Savannah even more! I keep seeing more and more bloggers signing up for the race. I’m actually considering it – I’m sure the course will be beautiful.
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..realist ravioli

20 DJ April 30, 2011 at 8:53 am

I SO wanted to run this race, but it was so expensive to sign up for :(

Have fun in Nashville!

21 Courtney April 30, 2011 at 9:31 am

What a fun day! Kara Goucher is my running idol too :)
Courtney recently posted..Shopping!

22 Paige @ Moxie and Marmalade April 30, 2011 at 9:34 am

Oh Nashville! I went to Vandy so it’s really fun seeing the city featured on your blog! If you get a chance, you should definitely try Bread & Company — it’s in the strip across from Centennial Park. They’ve got awesome sandwiches and salads, it was a favorite of mine in college!

23 Katherine: Unemployed April 30, 2011 at 12:08 pm

pickles are way weird as an expo treat! hope they were good
Katherine: Unemployed recently posted..Abraham Maslow

24 Paula @ Eat: Watch: Run April 30, 2011 at 3:49 pm

I’m doing Savannah too. It’s my first full. I’m scared! But excited. :-)

25 Ann April 30, 2011 at 5:25 pm

Fun post! I ate at Bella Napoli a few weeks ago when I was in Nashville and had the vegetarian pizza too! We also sat outside in that alley. Isn’t it a cute atmosphere? I thought it was great. And we went to Sweet Cece’s too!
Ann recently posted..On the Mend

26 melissa (fitnessnyc) April 30, 2011 at 7:02 pm

go ben and kelly, I am sure you did great! can’t believe you saw kara!
melissa (fitnessnyc) recently posted..Revlon Run Walk 7

27 Jenna April 30, 2011 at 10:17 pm

Love froyo!
Jenna recently posted..THE BIG MOVE

28 Shannon @ A Pinch of Ginger May 2, 2011 at 6:15 pm

Yayyy Meghann!! I’m so pumped you signed up for Savannah! I am running it too (it gives me a good excuse to see my sister there) :) we should start a virtual training group!