We’re in South Carolina Ya’ll

by Meghann on April 28, 2011

Hello from the road!

Nine hours is a LONG time to drive/ ride in the backseat. Especially for someone who bores easily.

IMG_6242.JPG IMG_6244.JPG IMG_6245.JPG

Kelly has the smart idea.

She’s working hard finishing her thesis. I’m working hard pushing my way through writer’s block. πŸ™‚

I have an article I need to finish today, as well as a back log of other work matters, but I’m finding it difficult to work on the road. For some reason I write better in planes than in cars. I wonder why that is?

In between writer’s block I’m also reading Tina’s book.

And enjoying handfuls of the community bag of Sour Patch Kids

The perfect road trip snack if you ask me. πŸ˜‰

Earlier we stopped in South Carolina for a roadside lunch.

Instead of wasting our money (and time!) finding somewhere to eat on the road, we all agreed a packed lunch was the way to go. Before we left my parents’ we stocked the car with fruit, vegetables, bagels, peanut butter, and other quick and easy snacks for the road.

Come lunch time, we just laid everything on the table for people to pick and choose as they saw fit.

I made a dipping plate of pretzels, apple slices, carrot sticks, and a heaping spoonful of honey peanut butter.

The lunch was a lot more fun to eat than your typical fast food. It was also a nice break from the cramped quarters of Kelly’s SUV.

Now, we’re back on the road and I’m counting down the minutes until it’s my turn to drive.

Eekkkk!!!

Are we there yet?

1 Freya April 28, 2011 at 2:52 pm

Aaah what an awesome idea for lunch! I love how you brought a whole jar of PB with you – that’s brilliant πŸ™‚
Good luck with the drive!
(OH and how jealous am I you’ve got THE book!? It’s not out here until July :'( )
Freya recently posted..The Best Bit

2 Lauren April 28, 2011 at 3:01 pm

Freya,

You can get the Carrots n’ Cake book on amazon right now and I believe it is already in Barnes and Noble stores. I ordered mine the other day and it will arrive next week…can’t wait!

3 Freya April 29, 2011 at 7:08 pm

Nah not in England! We’ve got to wait til July πŸ™
Freya recently posted..The Best Bit

4 Julia April 28, 2011 at 2:52 pm

Just say no to styrofoam!

5 katieRUNSthis April 28, 2011 at 2:54 pm

Road trips are FUN! (Well, to me they are…)

Where is SC did you stop? I just moved to Baton Rouge, LA from Greenville, SC. SC has some really nice places but I’m glad to be back home!

And good for y’all for eating healthy on the road. I always try that but my hubby usually petitions for Krystal or Chick-Fil-A instead. :/
katieRUNSthis recently posted..The Runner’s Rite of Passage

6 Karolina April 28, 2011 at 2:55 pm

If you don’t get motion sick, traveling can be the perfect time to get caught up on all those things that are difficult to do as normal life is going on around you! It’s wise to pack a lunch- it’s much healthier and can save a lot of money in traveling. Have a safe rest of your trip!
Karolina recently posted..Myths &amp Misconceptions of Grief &amp Loss Part 1

7 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife April 28, 2011 at 3:01 pm

i LOVE your idea of a great lunch πŸ™‚ Looks like something my fam would do too! Have a safe rest of the trip.

p.s. I <3 sour patch kids too !!

8 Holly @ The Runny Egg April 28, 2011 at 3:10 pm

I love car trips — and we always pack our cooler full of snacks, sandwich fixings, etc. I don’t think I could work on a laptop in the car though — reading is ok, but staring at a screen sounds like it’d make me feel sick!
Holly @ The Runny Egg recently posted..Pizza Bread

9 Kath April 28, 2011 at 3:13 pm

Where did you find wifi on the road?! Or do you have a sweet air card?
Kath recently posted..Under The Weather

10 Meghann April 28, 2011 at 4:47 pm

We stopped for gas and I picked up a signal from McDonald’s. I wish I had an aircard!

11 SaraRM April 28, 2011 at 3:18 pm

Love sour patch kids! I actually like road trips but find it difficult to ever accompolish anything when its new places, I like to look around a take it all in πŸ™‚

12 Samantha @ Health, Happiness & Skinny Jeans April 28, 2011 at 3:36 pm

What a great idea for lunch on the road! I am definitely going to borrow it when I go on my road trip this summer πŸ™‚

13 Ash @ Good Taste Healthy Me April 28, 2011 at 3:41 pm

I’m dying to read Tina’s book. Love her blog!!

Long car rides can be rough. it’s funny too because at the end of the day I’m completely exhausted…even though I sat on my butt for hours! lol
Ash @ Good Taste Healthy Me recently posted..A Night of Worry

14 Jenny @ Fitness Health and Food April 28, 2011 at 4:10 pm

ohhh yey for stocked coolers on car rides! πŸ™‚

I can’t wait to get Tina’s book and tell Kelly best wishes with her Thesis! πŸ™‚

Best wishes for safe travels! πŸ™‚

15 Nacho Lindsay April 28, 2011 at 4:13 pm

Ohhhh that looks good. I usually eat only sour patch kids on the road and then wonder why I feel terrible?
Nacho Lindsay recently posted..El Pinto New Mexican Restaurant- Albuquerque NM

16 Shannon April 28, 2011 at 4:21 pm

Such a good idea to bring your own lunches rather than stop somewhere unhealthy for food. I always feel like a little kid when I have to ride in the backseat
Shannon recently posted..Upcoming Week

17 Courtney @ The Granola Chronicles April 28, 2011 at 4:29 pm

I LOVE that you packed a picnic! That’s such a great way to save money and enjoy the outdoors during a long road trip. It beats sitting in a fast food joint for sure!
Courtney @ The Granola Chronicles recently posted..Its Addicting

18 Emily@SavoryandSavage April 28, 2011 at 4:48 pm

I find it impossible to concentrate while on a road trip. Most of the time end up sleeping for the entire trip πŸ™‚
Emily@SavoryandSavage recently posted..Into the lions den

19 Meghann April 28, 2011 at 9:38 pm

Anytime I started working I would go to sleep. Car rides make me sleepy. πŸ™‚

20 Kate (What Kate is Cooking) April 28, 2011 at 5:06 pm

Love the picnic lunch! The best way to save money πŸ™‚ My family is so cheap, but they think I’m weird for bringing so much food in the car on road trips!
Kate (What Kate is Cooking) recently posted..Modesto Half Marathon Recap

21 Lauri (RedHeadRecipes.com) April 28, 2011 at 5:10 pm

LOVE road trips! And I love South Carolina (We live in the Charleston area) Except for in the summertime! Ha ha!

Have a safe trip!
Lauri (RedHeadRecipes.com) recently posted..Breakfast With Chobani- Monday thru Friday &amp A GIVEAWAY!

22 Jamie aka "Sometimes Healthy" Girl April 28, 2011 at 5:28 pm

How smart to pack your lunch for the road! Pretzels dipped in ANYTHING is always a winning combo for me. Enjoy Carrots N’ Cake. I’m reading right now, and I love!
Jamie aka “Sometimes Healthy” Girl recently posted..Sushi and Doritos…A Wacky Food Combo

23 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey April 28, 2011 at 5:29 pm

I love stopping at restaurants while I travel, but probabaly bring along an equally sized amont of food for snacks!
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..realist ravioli

24 Lisa (bakebikeblog) April 28, 2011 at 5:40 pm

Safe travels!!!
Lisa (bakebikeblog) recently posted..Photos- plans and prawns

25 Alaina April 28, 2011 at 6:24 pm

I love packing randoms for lunch on a roadtrip. I’m driving down to CT tomorrow night with a friend and I am actually so excited for the goodies we’ll have along the way. πŸ˜‰
Alaina recently posted..Quinoa Stir Fry

26 Running Girl April 28, 2011 at 6:43 pm

Love the idea of a picnic lunch. And, I’m a sour patch addict, so win all around. πŸ™‚
Running Girl recently posted..Doubling up

27 Amy April 28, 2011 at 6:59 pm

Oh wow 9 hours is a long time in the car! But, at least your aren’t alone. And side note: I now want Sour Patch Kids.
Amy recently posted..Wednesday Weigh In- Dieting

28 Ashley April 28, 2011 at 7:27 pm

I have a difficult time working in cars too. I’d much rather just stare at the landscape or sleep.

29 Christine April 28, 2011 at 7:31 pm

9 hours? Yikes. Time for your sister to save that thesis and put a movie in the laptop!
Christine recently posted..Audiobooks for Running- not Reading

30 EJR April 28, 2011 at 7:33 pm

where on earth did you stop in SC? that isn’t on the way to nashville?!…

31 Meghann April 28, 2011 at 9:40 pm

We went up 95 and made a left in SC from there we hit NC then TN.

32 EJR April 28, 2011 at 7:33 pm

where on earth did you stop in SC? that isn’t on the way to nashville?!…

33 Jessica April 28, 2011 at 8:14 pm

Fun! And hello from Atlanta! I’m confused though…SC is no where on your route!

34 Liv @ The Salty n' Sweet April 28, 2011 at 10:16 pm

Road trips are too much fun πŸ™‚ At least you have good company to pass the 9 hours.

It’s also harder for me to work in a car, but that’s because it makes me car sick πŸ™
Liv @ The Salty n’ Sweet recently posted..Keepin’ It Snappy

35 Lindsay April 28, 2011 at 10:42 pm

what is she finishing her thesis on?

36 Meghann April 28, 2011 at 10:56 pm

Anthropology. You can read more on her blog at http://www.beneathitallblog.com