more ยป" />

The Desk

by Meghann on April 26, 2011

We have a desk!

Isn’t it amazing? The desk has been up less than 12 hours and it’s already piled high with junk. I have my work cut out for me when I return from Nashville next week. I wish I had time to mess with it before I head out of town this afternoon.

Derek and I were up way too late last night putting the desk together and rearranging the spare room a million times. I’m really happy with where the desk ended up in the corner, but we’re still unsure how the rest of the furniture should be laid out.

There’s the matter of the bookshelf, our future futon, and I want to get a little hutch to place one of the tvs on (Derek’s job this week will be selling the other one on craigslist.) Fitting all that in gets a little tricky when you realize one of the walls isn’t really a wall, but an ill placed sliding glass door.

I. Hate. That. Door.

We have a plan to turn the pointless sliding glass door into a window. A letter of intent has already been sent to the homeowner’s association asking permission to begin construction, but until then we’re stuck with it. Fingers cross they’ll approve it! ๐Ÿ™‚

Staying up too late messing with furniture messed with my sleep. When my alarm went off this morning I didn’t want to hear it. Staying up past midnight is never a good idea.

My run was a little later than usual, but luckily it was a mostly shaded path with a slight breeze attached to it. The 4 miles were easy going and over before I knew it.

Breakfast shortly followed.

• 1/2 cup Shredded Wheat
  • 1/2 cup Peanut Butter Puffins
  • 1/2 cup Strawberry Uncle Sams
  • Orange
  • Honey Peanut Butter

We’re running low on yogurt and fruit. The Honey peanut butter and juicy orange was really all this bowl of cereal needed. ๐Ÿ™‚

I have a ton of work to get to before I leave town. My computer is still being a little iffy. Please, oh please, don’t crap out on me now!

1 Kaitlin April 26, 2011 at 9:47 am

Awesome! The desk looks great. Can’t wait to see how you organize everything!
Kaitlin recently posted..12 Redemption Miles

2 Amanda April 26, 2011 at 9:48 am

Oh I love the desk! My boss bought the same one from Ikea, and I’m very jealous. Your office is going to be so cute!
Amanda recently posted..A Big Announcement

3 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat April 26, 2011 at 9:48 am

I think the desk looks great! I have a similar problem in my room where my bed can really only go on one wall – unless i disassemble my Ikea desk which I’m not willing to do because it took FOREVER to build!
Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat recently posted..Easter Recipe Roundup

4 Natalie @ Will Jog For Food April 26, 2011 at 9:50 am

Love seeing all the race medals!!

My fridge is basically empty…since we’re going on vacation, I haven’t bought anything for about a week. Luckily I have yummy Easter leftovers ๐Ÿ™‚
Natalie @ Will Jog For Food recently posted..PB &amp Banana Cupcakes

5 Holly @ The Runny Egg April 26, 2011 at 9:52 am

I love the desk — we almost bought the same one!
Holly @ The Runny Egg recently posted..Pizza Bread

6 Amy @ThenThereWere April 26, 2011 at 9:52 am

Why don’t you put the book case there? Unless you need to use it as a door you could place things infront of it that don’t need to be secured against a wall. Plus because they are low they should block out too much light.
Amy @ThenThereWere recently posted..US trip โ€“ foodie things

7 Meghann April 26, 2011 at 11:18 am

that’s where I want to put the bookcase when the window is up. I wonder how Derek would feel if I put it there now….

8 Dori April 26, 2011 at 9:53 am

Why is that sliding glass door pointless? The desk looks great. Staying up late to play with furniture is the productive kind of staying up, so it’s fine!
Dori recently posted..The Race I Didnโ€™t Run

9 Meghann April 26, 2011 at 11:19 am

It’s pointless because it goes out into the front entry way to the house and there’s no point to have a sliding glass door. I should draw a photo of the layout and then you’ll see why it’s pointless. It would be different if it led to a side yard or the bakc yard, but it literally leads to the front door.

10 Sarah for Real April 26, 2011 at 11:47 am

Oh that does sound pointless. And a security problem too. I hope your window gets approved!

ps Just remember to keep the window big enough for egress in case of a fire!

11 Michelle April 26, 2011 at 9:53 am

What a great desk. I have a mild obsession with anything Ikea.
Michelle recently posted..Playing Catch Up

12 Jenny @ Fitness Health and Food April 26, 2011 at 9:54 am

ohhh that’s looks great!

I’m super jealous of a special desk for work because I work at my dining room table! I suppose it’s not too bad, it’s just hard to find room to eat when it’s dinner time ๐Ÿ˜›

13 Liv @ The Salty n' Sweet April 26, 2011 at 9:55 am

Nice desk! I like how many shelves/storage units it has. At least you get plenty of sunshine from that door ๐Ÿ™‚
Liv @ The Salty n’ Sweet recently posted..Sweet Signs of Summer

14 Paula @ Eat: Watch: Run April 26, 2011 at 9:55 am

When my husband and I moved into our house, we put up new walls (basically what you’ll be doing changing the sliding door into a window) and it was way more affordable that I thought it would be.

Loving your bookshelves by your desk!

15 Andrea @ Run, Eat, Date, Sleep April 26, 2011 at 9:59 am

Looks great! I may need to go get that desk for my new house!
Andrea @ Run, Eat, Date, Sleep recently posted..Things I Learned from MTVโ€™s The Real World

16 Andrea @ Run, Eat, Date, Sleep April 26, 2011 at 10:01 am

I just looked up the price online. Holy crap! I had no idea it was so inexpensive! I need this desk now.

17 Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun April 26, 2011 at 10:01 am

We have so many random doors and things like that in our old house. They drive me crazy!
Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun recently posted..What I Have Learned About Blogging

18 Morgan @ Life After Bagels April 26, 2011 at 10:10 am

a desk! does that mean you won’t be working at those cool coffee shops anymore ๐Ÿ˜›
Morgan @ Life After Bagels recently posted..PIPES- You Can Do It!!!!!

19 Tara @ trulysimplebits April 26, 2011 at 10:15 am

Love the desk! We have an akward placed door like that in our living room too. You are lucky you are able to take it out ๐Ÿ™‚
Tara @ trulysimplebits recently posted..When You Donโ€™t Have One- Improvise

20 Ellie @ The Mommyist April 26, 2011 at 10:17 am

That desk will be a perfect place to work!
Ellie @ The Mommyist recently posted..Easter

21 Ash @ Good Taste Healthy Me April 26, 2011 at 10:23 am

I love love love that desk!! So cute!
Ash @ Good Taste Healthy Me recently posted..Hello Monday

22 Alaina April 26, 2011 at 10:47 am

Love that desk! I love the cubbies. Where did you get the baskets?
Alaina recently posted..Quinoa Stir Fry

23 Meghann April 26, 2011 at 11:20 am

Ikea. Love Ikea!

24 Katie @ katie'shungrylife April 26, 2011 at 10:56 am

Nice desk! I need to hit up Ikea one of these days.

If you don’t like or use the door, why not just block it with the furniture anyway? At least until the construction is approved.
Katie @ katie’shungrylife recently posted..Late night- late start

25 Meghann April 26, 2011 at 11:21 am

it’s a good idea. I’m going to try it.

26 Hope April 26, 2011 at 10:57 am

I really like the desk! It looks nice! Plus there is a ton of storage which is always nice! ๐Ÿ™‚
Hope recently posted..Forgetful Hopeโ€ฆ

27 Courtney April 26, 2011 at 11:29 am

I love that desk! Hubs and I were looking at the same one at Ikea! ๐Ÿ™‚ Good luck with the window … HOA’s can be beeyotches.
Courtney recently posted..Happy Easter!

28 Kate (What Kate is Cooking) April 26, 2011 at 11:40 am

I long for the day I have a desk! I have no room for one in my bedroom. Ah, the joys of living with your parents…
Kate (What Kate is Cooking) recently posted..Modesto Half Marathon Recap

29 Ashley April 26, 2011 at 12:09 pm

I love the desk! I can’t wait to see how the room gets set up.

30 Andrea @ The Skinny Chronicles April 26, 2011 at 12:15 pm

Beautiful desk. I love all the storage options provided. It’s amazing how we collect so much…stuff. And good luck with your door project. Fingers crossed for you.

31 Lauren April 26, 2011 at 12:50 pm

The desk looks great!! We’re headed to IKEA on Friday and I’m definitely planning on eyeing this desk. ๐Ÿ™‚
Lauren recently posted..Cast Your Vote- Show Me Your Bowl Candidates

32 miranda @ working mom works out April 26, 2011 at 12:51 pm

The desk looks great!

What will you be in Nashville for?

33 Meghann April 26, 2011 at 12:59 pm

My brother and sister are running the marathon and I’ll be there to cheer them on

34 miranda @ working mom works out April 26, 2011 at 1:12 pm

Thatโ€™s sweet! Nashville is my hometown, although I live an hours South now in Huntsville, AL. Itโ€™s a great place. I canโ€™t wait to see where you dine!

35 Emily @ Savory and Savage April 26, 2011 at 1:41 pm

A great looking desk! I am jealous of the stage you are in – the ‘have fun organizing my brand new desk’ stage.

I am at the triage stage with my desk ๐Ÿ™‚
Emily @ Savory and Savage recently posted..Cheesy grits with fluffy scrambled eggs

36 Meghann April 26, 2011 at 3:33 pm

The triage stage? Ouch! Sounds painful

37 Cynthia (It All Changes) April 26, 2011 at 2:37 pm

It would work to put the book case or the futon there and create the suggestion of a window with shorter curtains that skim the top of the book case or go slightly behind it. That way until it really is a window it will look like a window.

And that desk looks really functional. I like all the storage and that it will be out of the way of the futon and other space when you have guests.

38 Sarah April 26, 2011 at 2:48 pm

That’s why I can never get myself up in the morning to run. I stay up way to late to wake myself up before class to run.. Someday hopefully I can do this. Morning runs always feel the best and set the tone for the rest of the day.

39 Biz April 26, 2011 at 2:50 pm

Fingers crossed that the computer stays well – its just another expense you don’t need right now! ๐Ÿ˜€ Happy travels ๐Ÿ˜€

40 Laura @ Backstage Pass April 26, 2011 at 5:03 pm

Love the desk, it looks fabulous!
And LOL – is that the Fish Painting I spy? It didn’t end up in your bedroom, after all? My boyfriend surprised me the other day by putting this AWFUL acrylic ‘Muskie’ statue on one of our living room shelves… I bought it for him and his fishing buddies for a tournament, and I guess Zak is the winner for now… haha.
Laura @ Backstage Pass recently posted..Puppies change everything

41 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife April 26, 2011 at 6:32 pm

Glad your computer worked though! Love the desk!!