more ยป" />

The Motivator

by Meghann on April 25, 2011

This post is for my Mom because even after I BEGGED for a bike trainer for my birthday, it still took me two months to finally take it out of the box and put it to use.

But, look Mom!, it’s out of the box now and I even have the review to go with it. ;)

IMG_3776.jpg

My Mom got me the Bell Motivator, which she ordered off of Amazon (linked here). It came in a big box as one piece and the only assembly required involved mounting the bike to the trainer. It took a few minutes, but the mounting was pretty easy to figure out with the help of a diagram.

It was weird when I hopped on at first. I wasn’t sure what the gears should be in and I wasn’t sure how much resistance I should give the back wheel. It took a couple of adjustments, a fall, and 20 minutes, but eventually I got it to a setting I preferred. Now, if it was the right setting – I have no idea. I really, really need to take a cycling class some day.

IMG_3779.jpg

I pointed the bike towards the television, flipped on an episode of Army Wives, and rode until the episode ended. I pedaled my little heart out and worked up quite a sweat, there even was a nice little puddle under my bike when I was done. I’m still not sure if I had it in the right setting, but it sure felt like the right setting by the time I was done.

I have a feeling The Motivator and I are going to become good friend over the next few weeks. I have this vision of an hour on the bike trainer in the house, followed by a 30 minute run outside. It’s hard to pack the bike in my car – and with no trails within riding distance – this is the best solution. Plus, this may be the easiest way to practice transitions, something I really, really need to improve on!

My 45 minutes on the bike trainer was followed by a quick 30 minutes Jacker Warner full body circuit DVD to squeeze in some light strength training.

The DVD was followed by oatmeal.

We’re out of cinnamon. Can you believe it? What’s oatmeal without cinnamon?

Cinnamon-less oatmeal

In the Pot

• 1/3 cup Rolled Oats
  • 1/3 cup Almond Milk
  • 1/3 cup Water
  • Chia Seeds
  • Apple
  • Raisins

On Top:

• Naturally Nutty Coconut Peanut Butter
  • Pumpkin Bread

I missed the cinnamon, but the pumpkin bread made up for it. :)

This is going to be a CRAZY week

• Monday – normal day in Tampa
  • Tuesday – Orlando to shoot an episode of Meals & Miles, stay with Kelly
  • Wednesday – Orlando/ Titusville
  • Thursday – Drive to Tennessee
  • Friday – Nashville (anyone have any pasta dinner recommendations?)
  • Saturday – Cheer Kelly & Ben on at the Marathon
  • Sunday – Drive to Titusville
  • Monday – Drive to Tampa

My head is spinning just thinking about it!

1 Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine April 25, 2011 at 10:01 am

I’ve been out of cinnamon for awhile now and it’s killing me. It’s just in such an out-of-the-way place at the supermarket that I keep forgetting to pick up a bottle!!

2 Mimi April 25, 2011 at 10:01 am

I’ve actually never heard of a bike trainer. That’s so cool!

3 The Teenage Taste April 25, 2011 at 10:01 am

Oh my…you are having a crazy week! Hope all goes well, Megann!

4 Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun April 25, 2011 at 10:01 am

That’s a lot of driving! Wow!

And sounds like you got a great workout in. Not sure either on the set-up but if your body didn’t have any pain and it challenged you, sounds good to me. ;)

5 miranda @ working mom works out April 25, 2011 at 10:01 am

That loos awesome!!!

The bike AND the oats :)

6 Jenny @ Fitness Health and Food April 25, 2011 at 10:02 am

that’s a great idea to get the trainer especially when it’s going to get so hot outside during the summer.

You can watch reality TV too which is always fun ;)
Have a great week! :)

7 Dori April 25, 2011 at 10:04 am

Oatmeal is nothing without cinnamon. NOTHING!

8 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat April 25, 2011 at 10:06 am

WOW, what a busy week! I agree with you on the cinnamon. I can’t eat a bowl without it!! Have a great (and productive) day Meghann! :)

9 greenbean April 25, 2011 at 10:06 am

Is the bike trainer noisy? I live on the 2nd floor and I wonder if you have an idea if this would bother downstairs neighbors. Thanks!

10 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday April 25, 2011 at 10:12 am

I was wondering the same thing.

11 Meghann April 25, 2011 at 10:51 am

I didn’t find it noisy. I mean, I was able to keep the TV at a normal level and was able to listen to it without straining. Maddie also didn’t run under the covers. If it didn’t bother her, it probably won’t bug the neighbors. :)

12 Christina @ The Athletarian April 25, 2011 at 10:08 am

Oooooh I want a bike trainer! That is so awesome :)

13 Emily April 25, 2011 at 10:14 am

I recommend Mafiozas on 12th Street in Nashville- delicious pasta and pizza, they also have really good sounding salads and appetizers!

14 Jen April 25, 2011 at 10:15 am

I just wanted to pass on a small word of advice – be careful with your back tire on the trainer. I used one last winter and then when I took it out on the road, I realized my back tire was worn out. I got a flat! The heat/friction from the trainer really wears out the tread fast. Check your tires after you’ve used the trainer for a while. Be careful when you take it out on the real road. Otherwise, trainers are awesome!

15 Meghann April 25, 2011 at 10:52 am

I read that in the instructions it came with. Thanks for the tip!

16 Kara April 25, 2011 at 10:17 am

Does Maddie lick up your sweat puddle, or is my dog the only gross one who’d do that? :)

17 Meghann April 25, 2011 at 10:52 am

Haha, she didn’t come near the trainer to even try

18 Holly @ The Runny Egg April 25, 2011 at 10:24 am

Yeesh you have a lot going on this week! Thankfully it is a low key week for me.

19 Chelsea April 25, 2011 at 10:25 am

I love my trainer. My hubby got it for my for Valentines Day 4 years ago. I spend so much time on it during the winter. This week I did like 4 days on the trainer because of all the snow. I always put on a good movie and do intervals which makes sitting on it much easier.

20 Tami April 25, 2011 at 10:25 am

Put a book (or two) under the front tire so it is more inline with the rest of your bike (you can add a few to make a “hill”)
I can’t believe you don’t have a place to ride around there-we still have just a tiny bit of snow and the weather has been a mess but I am getting much more comfortable on my bike every day

21 Meghann April 25, 2011 at 10:54 am

Thanks for the tip!!! We have trails, they are just a 10 mile car ride away. Riding around my house just doesn’t feel safe. I live off a very busy main road that I’m not even a fan of driving on, let alone cycling.

22 Michelle April 25, 2011 at 10:28 am

I have never tried a bike trainer before.

Wow that IS a busy week. But busy is good.

23 Ashley April 25, 2011 at 10:32 am

That is a crazy week, but it sounds like fun. I love cinnamon. I don’t think I could eat oats without it. The bike trainer sounds fun, but how are you going to make up for loss of training for hill work and stuff? Won’t you lose something by not training outside?

24 Meghann April 25, 2011 at 10:55 am

I’m still going to train outside, this is just supplemental training. Also, someone suggested adding books under the front tire for hill training. Oh, and I live in Florida. Hill training is an issue no matter what. :)

25 Leslie Seminario April 25, 2011 at 10:33 am

I am training for my first tri this September and this bike trainer looks amazing! I live in Miami, there aren’t many trails or places to ride, plus people drive like maniacs around here.

My friend’s coworker got hit by a car while biking last week, she is okay, but has a broken rib, broken wrist and tons of scratches.

I think this will be my next investment! Thanks for the review!

Leslie S.

26 Erica April 25, 2011 at 10:42 am

For great Italian food in Nashville I would recommend either Sole Mio or Mafiaoza’s. Both are incredible!

27 Liza April 25, 2011 at 10:44 am

Meghann, I agree Mafiaozas. There pizza is SOOOO GOOD!!!!! never had the pasta, but I bet its good. The only thing is I bet its crowded on a friday night and you cannot make reservations. I just moved to Nashville, so I do not know of many places. When are you getting to Nashville? I would love to meet up with you, your brother and sister. Oh wait, I know there is an Amerigos, on West End near Vanderbilt.

28 Angel April 25, 2011 at 10:50 am

To prevent sweat on the floor you can buy a mat that goes underneath your bike, or also just throw an old yoga mat down. Enjoy the trainer- it is a great work-out!

29 Katie @ Nourishing Flourishing April 25, 2011 at 10:50 am

Wow, a puddle of sweat? Nice work! ;)

30 Jessica April 25, 2011 at 10:52 am

If you still lived in Orlando you could come to cycle class with me. It’s my fav. :(

31 Kate (What Kate is Cooking) April 25, 2011 at 10:53 am

That sounds like a fun week! I love cinnamon in my oatmeal, but I love pumpkin bread even more :)

32 Alex Lucero April 25, 2011 at 11:00 am

Hey Meghann-

I am a big fan! Listen, I am not sure if you are looking for a coach or a guide to cycling, but I have two podcasts that I love that are basically a cycling instructor telling you what to do as the music progresses. He is awesome and I love these podcasts, I use other available podcasts for running too. I like them because they are based on beats per minute and you can pick and choose your music based on the intensity of your workout.

Take a minute to check them out by simply looking up Motion Traxx on your itunes podcast section. The two tracks that I love are “get cyc’d (cycling interval mix) 52 minutes, aired on 02/26/10″ and “get cyc’d Part 2 (cycling interval mix) about 34 minutes, aired on 11/20/10″. I am not at all associated with this podcast, only a faithful subscriber.

Let me know what you think if you try it out.

Lots of love from Brooklyn!

Alex

33 Meghann April 25, 2011 at 1:05 pm

Thanks Alex! I’ll look into it! :)

34 Rae April 25, 2011 at 11:00 am

I usually put a towel under the front wheel to catch the sweat :-) if you get bored, check out spinervals.com for some specific workouts on the trainer-they kick your patootey but are so worth it for tri training!

35 Meghann April 25, 2011 at 1:06 pm

Thanks Rae!

36 Pamela April 25, 2011 at 11:33 am

Pasta dinner on Friday night in Nashville – you’ll need reservations, trust me. Cafe Nonna on Murphy Road is awesome, local, filling, and nicely tucked off the beaten path. Coco’s Italian Market off of Charlotte is authentic, well-portioned, and likely to be busy but not packed on a Friday. I second the recommendation for Amerigo’s on West End. It’s a nice choice and their homemade bread is to DIE for. Bella Napoli in the Edgehill Village is SO CUTE and has delicious wood-fired pizzas and good pasta options (and they’re doing a special with restaurants.com – $2 for a $25 gift certificate!). Just the two cents of a born-and-raised Nashville foodie. :)

37 Meghann April 25, 2011 at 1:08 pm

THANK YOU!

38 Ann April 25, 2011 at 6:43 pm

I love Bella Napoli! I went two weeks ago and had a great vegetarian pizza.

39 Ellie @ The Mommyist April 25, 2011 at 11:34 am

I agree about the cinnamon. I change up my oatmeal toppings regularly but I always include cinnamon.

40 Cara April 25, 2011 at 11:41 am

Love my bike trainer! I can’t wait to get it back from my parent’s house!
Your oatmeal looks fabulous too! Perfect fuel to start a busy week!

41 Alaina April 25, 2011 at 11:46 am

I love putting crumbled bread on oatmeal! It’s great for using bread that didn’t quite make it in baking. :-P

42 Derek April 25, 2011 at 11:50 am

Did you clean up the puddle?

43 Derek April 25, 2011 at 11:54 am

and I hope it wasn’t on the rug…

44 Andrea @ The Skinny Chronicles April 25, 2011 at 11:53 am

Very cool. Makes me remember I should give the bike trainer sitting all alone out in our a garage a go…

45 LauraParson April 25, 2011 at 12:18 pm

That oatmeal looks perfect! I finally tried oatmeal as my pre-workout meal and am TOTALLY in love with it now – I’m on a quest to find the perfect toppings for me!

46 Lauren April 25, 2011 at 12:20 pm

What a crazy week but it doesn’t surprise me! You are one busy lady. :) It all sounds wonderful though.

47 Sarah April 25, 2011 at 12:32 pm

You do have a crazy week. Crazy but exciting! I could never sit behind a desk all day long so your job sounds great to me.

48 Tara @ trulysimplebits April 25, 2011 at 12:34 pm

I’ve been wondering how well this contraption is. There are no trails close to my house either which is a bummer. I am not a fan of biking with traffic. Hope to hear more on how you are liking it :)

49 Halley (Blunder Construction) April 25, 2011 at 12:46 pm

Awesome! I feel like I would use that more in the winter anyway, when the roads are covered in ice. But, that never really happens in Florida. Either way, it’s a great thing to have.

50 Claire April 25, 2011 at 12:54 pm

Oh I totally need one of those! I keep eyeing them at the bike store but can’t bring myself to spend the $$ (I just bought a brand new road bike so my wallet’s hurting a bit). Looks like a great workout!!

51 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife April 25, 2011 at 1:05 pm

Oatmeal MUST have cinnamon–but bread pieces work too ;) Glad you found an option!

My head is spinning for you-good luck! WOW.

You’re lucky you have a trainer-that would be nice to have one!

52 Kacy April 25, 2011 at 1:54 pm

Fun!
I really want a bike trainer, but first I need a bike ;)

53 Hilary April 25, 2011 at 2:55 pm

Does sound busy…but fun! And next time yhou’re out of cinnamon, give nutmeg a try!

54 Amy April 25, 2011 at 3:04 pm

The bike trainer looks so cool! However all that driving you have to do = not cool.
Hopefully you have a good audiobook!

55 Jenny April 25, 2011 at 3:30 pm

No pasta recommendations, but go to Layla’s Bluegrass Inn. Just do it. That is Nashville’s beating heart.

And if the pasta doesn’t work out, go to the San Antonio Taco Company. And for breakfast: The Pancake Pantry.

Nashville is my favorite city in the USA, can you tell? I would totally move there in a heartbeat.

56 Cindy April 25, 2011 at 4:19 pm

I totally agree about cinnamon! Isn’t it the BEST ever? I use it in my cereal bowls (try it!!), on top of oatmeal, with my yogurt, everything! It’s next to nut butters in terms of food I can’t live without!

57 natalie (the sweets life) April 25, 2011 at 4:48 pm

no nashville pasta recs but you MUST MUST MUST go to burger up while you’re there! (my review here http://www.thesweetslife.com/2011/03/vacation-eats-nashville-and-charleston.html)

58 Liza April 25, 2011 at 4:50 pm

agreed. burger up is a must.

59 Teena April 26, 2011 at 12:10 am

Meghann! Nashville just opened a Noodles & Company. Have you been before? It is fantastic!! Highly recommended!

60 Steph @321delish April 26, 2011 at 12:31 pm

I got a trainer for Christmas, and have only used it a few times unfortunately. I find it kinda boring. How do you stay motivated to do your workouts on it?

61 Kelly April 26, 2011 at 3:51 pm

Cafe Nonna on Murphy Rd is great and really close to the start line so you could look around a little. Maggiano’s is my favorite! But that is where the Pre-race pasta dinner is, so I have a feeling it will be PACKED! Have fun watching Saturday! It really is a neat race! Crossing my fingers it stays cool for us!