First, Second, Third

by Meghann on April 25, 2011

First of all… I’m currently sitting in Starbucks sipping on an Iced Coffee with Soy Milk and – you guys were right – this is fabulous. The vanilla soy milk gives the iced coffee a slight sweetness; no ‘fancy’ stuff is required.

Second… the Easter Lilly Derek’s Grandmother gave us for Easter is gorgeous.

IMG_3803.jpg

It’s a shame I was born without a green thumb. I doubt it will live long enough to see Memorial Day. I’m not even sure where to begin to keep it alive. How often should I water? Does it need sunlight? Should i replant it? Can I keep it in doors?

So, many questions!

Third… lunch was fabulous. Simple, but fabulous.

I’m heading out of town tomorrow‘ equates to ‘Derek plans to rough it bachelor style while I’m out of town‘ and ‘grocery store? what grocery store?

AKA there’s slim pickins’ around here.

We have no bread. We have limited vegetables. And we’re out of milk.

But, we did have left over refried beans, corn tortillas, and spinach. Combine those three elements, add in a george foreman, olives, and corn, and you’ve got yourself a cheese-less quesadilla.

It was messy and squishy, but really tasty.

We also have carrots and I threw in the last two mini pickles for kicks.

Lunch is served.

Fourth…. Maddie says Thank You for all the birthday wishes.

“I don’t feel a day over one!” (she acts that way too!)

1 Katie @ Nourishing Flourishing April 25, 2011 at 2:22 pm

Cheeseless quesadillas = awesome quesadillas.
Katie @ Nourishing Flourishing recently posted..The Lessons of Travel

2 melissa (fitnessnyc) April 25, 2011 at 2:22 pm

time to get to the store. but actually, it looks great!

3 Meghann April 25, 2011 at 2:31 pm

Derek sees it as a challenge. He doesn’t see a point in going if I’m not going to be in town. He’ll prob live off of boxed pasta and pasta sauce this week. lol

4 Katherine April 25, 2011 at 6:49 pm

My husband does THE SAME THING. Everytime I leave out of town he tries to eat only what is in the pantry and the fridge. Its not pretty.

5 Dori April 25, 2011 at 2:25 pm

Looks like a delicious lunch!
Dori recently posted..The Race I Didn’t Run

6 Freya April 25, 2011 at 2:25 pm

I wish I could offer green-tips..but things die within minutes of even seeing me. Plants + Freya = sure death.
Freya recently posted..Proud of my Chick peas

7 Jamie aka "Sometimes Healthy" Girl April 25, 2011 at 2:26 pm

I just finally bought a Foreman! This looks like the perfect item to make with it. I can never have too many quesadillas! .
Jamie aka “Sometimes Healthy” Girl recently posted..Go Ahead- Hit That Snooze Button- More Reasons to Turn that Monday Frown Upside Down

8 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat April 25, 2011 at 2:26 pm

Your lunch looks like my ideal quesadilla because I’m not a big cheese fan! Happy birthday to Maddie! :)
Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat recently posted..Easter Recipe Roundup

9 Holly @ The Runny Egg April 25, 2011 at 2:28 pm

I love refried beans. Sometimes I like to have a big bowl of that stuff for a snack.
Holly @ The Runny Egg recently posted..Pizza Bread

10 Alaina April 25, 2011 at 2:30 pm

I’ll have to try that drink from Starbucks! I used to be a big fan of the skinny vanilla lattes. This drink is probably cheaper too! :-)
Alaina recently posted..Quinoa Stir Fry

11 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday April 25, 2011 at 2:31 pm

I always use soy milk when I make lattes at home. But I use unweetened soy milk. I still find that it makes the drink sweet enough and kinda nutty tasting.

Lilies are by far my favourite flower

12 Marina April 25, 2011 at 2:32 pm

I wish I had a green thumb as well, the plants I get always die really soon :))
Marina recently posted..final countdown…

13 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife April 25, 2011 at 2:35 pm

My husband always sees it as a challenge not to go to the store if not needed….hmmm. My lunch might be slim pickings today too. ha!

14 Katie @ katie'shungrylife April 25, 2011 at 2:40 pm

I loooove Easter lillies! Especially because there will be some major sales now that the holiday is actually over. However…I kill any plant that I touch so I have no advice, haha! Good luck!

15 christina cadden April 25, 2011 at 2:44 pm

Awe, Maddie looks so cute! Safe travels!

16 Liv @ The Salty n' Sweet April 25, 2011 at 2:48 pm

Yummy! Love refried beans, as gross as they may look. And yes, soy milk with coffee is amazing!!!

Have a safe trip!

17 Hilary April 25, 2011 at 2:49 pm

Mmmm…love meals that clean up bits and bites from the fridge…and this looks like a good one!
Hilary recently posted..Easter overload

18 Jenny @ Fitness Health and Food April 25, 2011 at 3:01 pm

ohh Maddie what a sweetie!

our pup is only a few days over one and her certainly acts like a new pup too!
love the cheese-less quesa. Even though I’m a cheese lover I find that warm refried beans hit that same note of ooey gooey deliciousness! :)

Have a great day! :)

19 Beth @ DiningAndDishing April 25, 2011 at 3:20 pm

I LOVE Starbucks iced coffee with soy milk! Even nicer with a bit of cinnamon on top :). I don’t like their hot coffee much at all but something about the iced version is SO refreshing. I’m happy the weather is heating up so I can enjoy it again!
Beth @ DiningAndDishing recently posted..Great Falls Easter

20 Chelsea April 25, 2011 at 3:49 pm

Our fridge is totally empty as well…..but shopping day isn’t until Thursday so its time to be creative!
Chelsea recently posted..Another day on the trainer

21 Kara April 25, 2011 at 3:52 pm

My dog has decided to act like a puppy forever, so she’s with Maddie on that one :)
Kara recently posted..My weekend in numbers

22 Ellie @ The Mommyist April 25, 2011 at 3:54 pm

I wish I could help with the plan. I’m pretty good with outdoor plants but I cannot keep house plants alive!
Ellie @ The Mommyist recently posted..Easter

23 Kacy April 25, 2011 at 4:08 pm

I am a serial plant killer. It’s terrible. I hope your lily lives long and prospers, but I have no tips ;)

24 Emily @ Savory and Savage April 25, 2011 at 4:31 pm

I love the posts when you use the GF grill – I am so tempted to get one…
Emily @ Savory and Savage recently posted..What a day

25 Lauren April 25, 2011 at 5:17 pm

I could NOT live without my Foreman grill! (Dramatic, I know). So perfect for quesadillas!
Lauren recently posted..Run in the New Year

26 Melissa @ TryingToHeal April 25, 2011 at 5:23 pm

omg derek is just like whit. he comes to my place because all he has in his fridge is pb and beer. not even any bread. he lives off of takeout. drives me crazy.

and answer to the plant? GOOGLE. :)
Melissa @ TryingToHeal recently posted..Time To Stop

27 Dynamics April 25, 2011 at 5:32 pm

I got one last year. I thought I killed it so I quickly planted it outside in the dirt. It died. I have learned that plants may not be dead. I clipped off the dead part. Voila…It appeared in all its glory this year. I figure it will bloom in another week. Enjoy it while you can and then plant it outside. Trim it if it looks dead. You will be surprised next year when it pops out of the ground. The best surprises. I love plants that like to surprise me. Good luck.

28 Courtney April 25, 2011 at 6:00 pm

I have a good feeling Maddie and my dog, Elliot, would seriously hit it off! :)
Courtney recently posted..Happy Easter!

29 Sarah for Real April 25, 2011 at 6:23 pm

Hmm… a quesadilla with no queso… Maybe you could just call it a “dilla” then?

30 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey April 25, 2011 at 8:29 pm

Iced coffee with soy milk is MY FAVORITE drink ever! It is so good!
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..realist ravioli

31 Miranda @ Working Mom Works Out April 25, 2011 at 9:22 pm

Looks delicious! We use a lot of corn tortillas around here.
Miranda @ Working Mom Works Out recently posted..Happy Easter

32 Kate (What Kate is Cooking) April 25, 2011 at 9:59 pm

Oooh, a squishy quesadilla sounds amazing!
Kate (What Kate is Cooking) recently posted..Modesto Half Marathon Recap

33 Ashley April 26, 2011 at 8:51 pm

Awesome blog! I can not wait to order an iced coffee with soy milk tomorrow… I never even thought to ask them to add soy milk!! You made my day!
Ashley recently posted..My Wonderful BF!