Pretty in Pink

by Meghann on April 23, 2011

There was an explosion of pink at Derek’s parents’ house today.

The occasion? Celebrating the future arrival of Marley!

Derek’s brother’s girlfriend (Rachel) is scheduled to be induced on June 3rd! That means in a little over a month we’re going to have a little niece to spoil. I can’t wait!

Of course, the spoiling has already begun. Derek’s Mom threw Tyler and Rachel a beautiful baby shower brunch this morning in her honor.

There was PINK, PINK, PINK as far as the eye could see. She had two boys. I think this was her payback for all the blue in her life. I don’t blame her. πŸ™‚

I was starving when we arrived (the 9:30 start time had me pushing my breakfast back a full 2 hours) and immediately dug into a couple of pieces of pumpkin bread.

Then I filled my plate up with a mini cinnamon bun, cheesy hashbrown casserole, egg casserole, and a mini wheat bagel.

And went back for a heaping serving of fruit salad. No brunch is complete without fruit. πŸ™‚

In keeping with baby shower tradition, we played games that involved diapers

IMG_3363.JPG IMG_3364.jpg

And watched the happy parents-to-be open presents.

IMG_3354.jpg

Lots and lots of presents. πŸ™‚

Now, I want a baby girl.

Or I just want a doll I can play dress up with.

How cute are those outfits? Give me that doll stat! πŸ™‚

Hurry Up Marley! Aunt Meghann can’t wait to meet you!!

IMG_3408.jpg

The party ended with a handful of hugs, good-byes, and a goodie bag for the road.

It was a great way to spend a Saturday morning. πŸ™‚

Derek and I are currently on our way to my parents house to spend the remainder of the Easter weekend. (Thought, by the time I hit publish we’ll already be there. πŸ™‚ )

I made a kale salad for the road.

Kale (marinated in olive oil, balsamic vinegar, lemon juice, and salt), olives, swiss cheese, carrots, apple, and almonds

Not your typical road trip food, but it worked. πŸ™‚

See ya in Titusville!

1 The Teenage Taste April 23, 2011 at 3:07 pm

Awwww, I’m loving the pink theme! It’s so cute!
Glad everyone had a great time. I love that dress you were wearing. It looks great on you!
The Teenage Taste recently posted..Oreo Crunch Muffins

2 Freya April 23, 2011 at 3:08 pm

What an elegant baby shower! Now I want to get pregnant – not for the baby, just for the shower :p
Freya recently posted..Proud of my Chick peas

3 Heather April 23, 2011 at 3:09 pm

I just need to throw out a correction: Derek will be having a new niece soon…unless there’s something you haven’t told us?!! πŸ™‚ Just sayin!

4 Teacher Girl April 23, 2011 at 4:04 pm

I agree! Is there news to be announced here on the blog?
Teacher Girl recently posted..The Intern Part V- He’s gone!

5 Heather April 23, 2011 at 3:11 pm

Also, I know this might sound rude, but it is merely my opinion, and i’m very happy for Derek’s brother and girlfriend, but it makes me sad how people do things so backwards now-a-days!

6 Kristy April 23, 2011 at 4:21 pm

It makes me sad that people can be so judgemental.
You don’t know anything about these people (nor do i), but its certainly not your place to impose your values on their lives.

7 Heather April 23, 2011 at 5:15 pm

not judgemental — everyone is entitled to an opinion, and this is an open blog and I was just stating mine! No harm done, I just don’t agree, and it makes me sad!

8 Mel April 23, 2011 at 5:35 pm

I am one of those girls who waited to live with my hubby before marriage, want to finish law school and have a good job before buying a house and having a baby, yadda yadda…but I see absolutely nothing wrong with doing things backwards (whatever that means thesedays anyway). As long as there is love in the relationship, and in this case it seems like two happy parents together raising the baby to be, I think it is wonderful!!! Congrats to Dereks fam and to you Meghann!!!

9 Ellie April 24, 2011 at 4:04 am

Heather, you’re totally right that you are entitled to have an opinion and to state it. But I think that the issue is that this is not really the appropriate context for saying that you disagree morally with some behavior mentioned in a blog post. It simply doesn’t seem polite, even if you are entitled to do so. If this were a blog with an ethical focus, it might be appropriate to share your opinion, but that’s not the case here. As it is, it sounds rude when you say that you disapprove morally of having a kid out of wedlock, and it seems rude to criticize Meghann’s friends. I’m sure many people would be happy to hear your opinions on this moral issue, and to discuss it with you, if it were in a more appropriate context than one in which you are criticizing Meghann’s friends in a comment on her blog.

10 Laura April 24, 2011 at 4:29 am

I agree. Both that everyone is entitled to their opinion, but that a post celebrating a very happy event that Meghann and Derek’s family are excited about, is not the place to do it. And to be honest, I think there is more harm being done in the world from people being judgmental regarding personal choices that do physical harm to no one and are the business of no one but themselves, than from people choosing to love each other as a family without a sanction from the church and state. And I say that as a Christian.

11 Ashley April 23, 2011 at 11:54 pm

But maybe it’s not backwards to them. Maybe this is how they want it. They might not believe in marriage, or they have circumstances that prevent them from ever being married. I can understand your point of view on the situation, but I don’t think it should be labeled as ‘backwards,’ it’s just different. It’s what works for them, and without being in their shoes it’s hard to have an opinion on the situation.

12 Jenny @ Fitness Health and Food April 23, 2011 at 3:15 pm

oh congrats to the soon to be parents, how exciting! πŸ™‚

Have lovely weekend! πŸ™‚

13 Kaitlin April 23, 2011 at 3:33 pm

How cute! Have a great weekend.
Kaitlin recently posted..Human Rights and Factory Farming

14 Ash Bear April 23, 2011 at 3:44 pm

The shower looks adorable as do the decorations! Congrats on the new addition to Derek’s family!
Ash Bear recently posted..A Great Week

15 Courtney April 23, 2011 at 3:50 pm

I love baby showers πŸ™‚

Also that hamper looks sort of like a face. Just noticed that lol. πŸ˜›
Courtney recently posted..Rainy Day

16 Michelle April 23, 2011 at 3:55 pm

I will be the first to tell you – dressing up a baby girl is SO FUN :). Congrats to Derek’s brother/girlfriend!
Michelle recently posted..14 Years of Us

17 Ali April 23, 2011 at 3:55 pm

Such a cute idea β€”Β I love the pink theme! Very adorable and makes for great photos!
Ali recently posted..It’s Kind Of Easy Being Green

18 J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) April 23, 2011 at 3:57 pm

Awww, what a cute baby shower! Love the pink theme.

I love your road trip salad! It looks so good. Massaged kale rules!
J3nn (Jenn’s Menu and Lifestyle Blog) recently posted..Deviled Eggs and Peeps in Purgatory

19 Bri April 23, 2011 at 4:13 pm

Adorable baby shower! And how fun to have a little one to spoil. I have to chime in with some commentors above, though…a certain formality would need to occur first in order for you to get a niece out of the deal πŸ˜‰

20 Kacy April 23, 2011 at 4:14 pm

I love how all the guys wore pink. Too cute.
Kacy recently posted..What’s in the bag

21 Kristy April 23, 2011 at 4:17 pm

I love Maddie pics.

22 Shannon April 23, 2011 at 4:25 pm

Such a beautiful baby brunch! Enjoy the rest of your Easter weekend!
Shannon recently posted..Easter Weekend Down the Shore

23 Courtney April 23, 2011 at 4:57 pm

I agree with Kristy’s comment. You’re going to make a fabulous aunt to baby Marley!

24 Amanda April 23, 2011 at 5:07 pm

What a beautiful shower…looks like a great time!
Amanda recently posted..In the next month- I will…

25 alison April 23, 2011 at 5:10 pm

What a lovely baby shower! Marley is such a cute name!
alison recently posted..Im Beginning To Think People Dont Know Me Well At All

26 Kayla April 23, 2011 at 5:22 pm

That salad looks great.
I’m kind of surprised people are making a big deal about you saying you’re going to have a niece – it is a common practice in my group of friends (and family) that friends are called aunt/uncle even where there really isn’t a family tie there. Not to mention the weird factor of “this is Uncle Derek and…. uh… Meghann.” Trust me, I had this problem introducing my aunt and her boyfriend at my wedding.
Kayla recently posted..Earth Day 2011–Books

27 Meghan@travelwinedine April 23, 2011 at 5:25 pm

Mom to be looks awesome! I don’t get the above comments. Do they mean you can’t be an aunt to the baby unless you get married? Because I was Auntie Meghan to four nieces and a nephew before my husband put a ring on it! You can certainly be a member of a family even without formality!

28 Kaitlyn @ 7 Plates April 23, 2011 at 5:26 pm

Cute dress & red nails! πŸ™‚

29 Running Girl April 23, 2011 at 5:30 pm

That brunch food looks wonderful – yum!
Running Girl recently posted..A day in numbers

30 Amy April 23, 2011 at 5:38 pm

Your dress looks so cute Meghann!
Amy recently posted..the afternoon

31 Laura April 23, 2011 at 5:45 pm

Marley is such a cute name for a baby girl.

And it totally reminds me of Monkey Island, which was my favourite computer game when I was growing up. *AHEM*GEEK

32 Christine April 23, 2011 at 5:46 pm

Stick to the doll πŸ˜‰
Christine recently posted..Top 40- Part 3

33 Miranda @ Working Mom Works Out April 23, 2011 at 6:32 pm

Girl baby clothes are so much cuter than boy’s. <— Coming from someone that has a boy πŸ™‚

34 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife April 23, 2011 at 7:16 pm

I love baby showers!! SO exciting πŸ™‚ And your food all looked so good!

35 Duchess of Fork April 23, 2011 at 7:19 pm

How fun! I’m having a baby girl in August and I’m having the best time buying goodies for her. I’ve been making the cutest headbands…can’t wait to spoil her in person. Love the name Marley, by the way!
Duchess of Fork recently posted..Four Ingredient Microwave Burritos

36 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday April 23, 2011 at 7:40 pm

The whole family must be so excited for the new baby! Is this the first grandchild?

I read an interesting article about babies and the colours pink and blue. Apparently in the 1800s all babies wore white dresses that were gender neutral.

In the early 1900s pink was the dominant colour for male babies because it was the light version of red which was seen as a more masculine colour whereas blue was decidedly more feminine. Apparently, the association of blue with the Navy made that colour become associated with males later on around the time of the world wars.

37 Jessica April 23, 2011 at 7:56 pm

I’m Aunt Jess to several of my friend’s kids and I had tons of “cousins” growing up…. All it indicates is that you’re close to the family and care for the child… Some of my “real” Aunts and Uncles weren’t half as caring or supportive of me as my mom’s friends. Anyway, I’m sure when you get engaged you’ll write a post about it, not just slip in random “are they or aren’t they??” clues haha have fun at your parents’ πŸ™‚

38 Laurie April 23, 2011 at 8:42 pm

Congrats to Rachel and Tyler AND Uncle Derek and Aunt Meghann! πŸ™‚

39 BroccoliHut April 23, 2011 at 9:04 pm

Ooh! Baby showers are so much fun!
BTW, love Maddie’s awesome pink polka dot collar.

40 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey April 23, 2011 at 9:27 pm

Such a cute shower! I love the idea of doing a brunch!
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..meat free for me

41 Ashley April 23, 2011 at 11:56 pm

I love your dress, you look really pretty!
The shower looks like a lot of fun. I love all the pink! It looks like so much fun. Now I want some one I know to get pregnant, so I get to have the fun without the responsibility πŸ˜‰

42 Amy April 24, 2011 at 12:10 am

Aw, what a great job on the shower! Love all the pink!
Amy recently posted..Already Saturday- All Ready

43 Bri April 24, 2011 at 10:10 am

I don’t disagree in the slightest with Ellie or Laura above; my comment (which I’m not even sure is referenced by theirs) was not intended to be a moral one. Families can be wonderful, loving ones, no matter the form they take, and it is touching to see that Marley will clearly be born to loving people. My comment in regards to being an aunt before you technically are one comes from the perspective of knowing what it is like to date someone for 10 years before getting married and experiencing a circle of people who always felt like family actually become my family. That is, I think, a really neat part of marriage. And I don’t think I would have had the same feelings about it if I considered his cousins my own from day one. It was an additional part to look forward to. Just my take on it. I just wanted to clarify that I wasn’t intending to play moral police. πŸ™‚

44 Laura April 24, 2011 at 5:36 pm

Bri: Just to clarify, my comment wasn’t in reference to yours. πŸ™‚ I agree with you that while I would probably consider myself an honorary aunt to the nieces and nephews of a boyfriend, I think there would definitely be that moment of legally becoming “family” when you got married.

45 Kristen April 24, 2011 at 7:41 pm

What a great idea to do brunch/breakfast for a baby shower! I love the name Marley! I am 16 weeks pregnant and we already know we want M names for all our kids (if I do decide on Meghann, I will spell it like that!). Marley is now in the running. Also, where did she get that dress? It is adorable! With summer on it’s way, I’m thinking dresses will be the most comfortable thing for the hot + humid St. Louis summer.
Kristen recently posted..epic baking fails

46 kathleen April 27, 2011 at 9:12 pm

Im curious as to why she’s being induced. I’m always curious about people’s birth stories though…
kathleen recently posted..He may look sweet and innocent

47 Tracey @ Veggies, Cake & Cocktails April 28, 2011 at 8:54 am

I’m completely jelous of your kale salad. I had bought some kale and forgot to put it in the crisper drawer so it went bad. I was so upset!

Looks like mom and dad got a lot of good stuff for the baby πŸ™‚
Tracey @ Veggies, Cake & Cocktails recently posted..What is it Wednesday – Chia Seeds