Friday night on my own

by Meghann on April 22, 2011

Derek working late on a Friday night means:

• Watching 5 episodes of Army Wives on Netflix and finding it hard to leave the couch
  • Painting my nails a pretty shade of dark red
  • Taking Maddie on multiple walks.
  • Being caught by the neighbor for having Maddie off leash. Dang it.
  • Packing for the Easter weekend.
  • Making a fancy meal I’ll eat on my own and Derek will eat cold.

He still said it was delicious – even if it was cold. πŸ™‚

Tonight’s dinner was a throw back to an old favorite – Lentil Shepard’s Pie. (Only I tripled the recipe and made enough for 2 + leftovers)

Lentil Shepard’s Pie was one of my first big recipes for the blog back in October 2008. Unfortunately I only made it the one time, but its always been on my mind and – while skimming the cabinets – thought it would be fun to recreate. I was really happy with the final results, especially when Derek said ‘this was good babe’ as he finished his second serving. I didn’t tell him what was in it or how I made it. He ate it as is and loved it. The sign of a genuine compliment in my book.

I had a few strawberries for dessert.

Time to step away from Army Wives. It’s tough when NetFlix tells me there are 63 episodes and I’m only on 25 – there’s so much I don’t know yet! So addicting!

Good Night!

1 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey April 22, 2011 at 9:54 pm

That looks really good! I always say I want to make shepard’s pie but then never do!
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..meat free for me

2 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat April 22, 2011 at 9:58 pm

Your dinner DOES look good!! This probably sounds like madness to you but I’ve never actually seen Army Wives! So if you’ve only got 63 episodes worth to catch on, it would probably take me ages! Enjoy them – that’s what long weekends are for!
Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat recently posted..Easter Recipe Roundup

3 Holly @ The Runny Egg April 22, 2011 at 10:02 pm

I have wanted to watch Army Wives but I’ve heard I’ll get sucked in. That happened last summer when I watched 5 seasons of Dexter in about 2 weeks.
Holly @ The Runny Egg recently posted..Pizza Bread

4 Kelly @ Laughter, Strength, and Food April 22, 2011 at 10:12 pm

Netflix can be so dangerous! I can waste away an entire day because of it!

5 Katy (The Singing Runner) April 22, 2011 at 10:13 pm

Mmmm looks delicious! I have some lentils that I need to use!
Katy (The Singing Runner) recently posted..Finding Myself Part II

6 Jenny @ Fitness Health and Food April 22, 2011 at 10:13 pm

haha! we are the same way with Netflix- our current obsession is Lie to Me but we were totally into 24 before we ran out of episodes πŸ˜›

The shepard’s pie looks delicious – I love using sweet potatoes for the topping πŸ™‚ Have a great Easter weekend! πŸ™‚

7 Kate (What Kate is Cooking) April 22, 2011 at 10:16 pm

I am still at work and so hungry… I am drooling over your dinner!
Kate (What Kate is Cooking) recently posted..Modesto Half Marathon Recap

8 Shannon April 22, 2011 at 10:17 pm

I love getting some extra stuff done around the house while my boyfriend is away
Shannon recently posted..Insanity Day 2

9 Brooke April 22, 2011 at 10:18 pm

Sweet potatoes on shepherd’s pie! GENIUS! Why hadn’t I thought of that??!

And another use for my beloved lentils…

So glad I read this post! Thanks! πŸ™‚

10 Chelsea April 22, 2011 at 10:20 pm

Don’t you hate when people get you for having your dog off a leash? Our Dog Warden in town is a stickler and she hides and watches. Were watching the new show The Killing.
Chelsea recently posted..Delicious Eats and Juicy Deets

11 J @ I Don't Eat Standing Up April 23, 2011 at 10:42 am

The problem in my neighborhood is that the people who let their dogs off the leash don’t clean up after their dogs πŸ™ Not cool.

12 Chelsie April 22, 2011 at 10:24 pm

68 episodes. I know because I’m on 67. And yes, I have watched all those in the last 2-3 weeks. It’s addicting and makes for great homework tv.
Chelsie recently posted..Week of 4-18-Getting it done

13 Stephanie @ LiveCookLove April 22, 2011 at 10:27 pm

I LOVE ARMY WIVES πŸ™‚ I’ve been watching it since the beginning and look forward to every new season! I’m not an army wife, I’m not even a wife, but it is such a great show. I’m kind of jealous that you have so many episodes to see…

Your dinner looks so good too!!!

14 Kiran @ KiranTarun.com April 22, 2011 at 10:46 pm

Holy yum, that dinner looks delicious! Now I’m intrigued about Army Wives πŸ™‚
Kiran @ KiranTarun.com recently posted..TGIF!

15 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday April 22, 2011 at 10:48 pm

I’m home alone tonight too. My hubby’s in Knoxville.

16 Kacy April 22, 2011 at 10:54 pm

That pie looks so fab! I would def eat it cold!
Kacy recently posted..What’s in the bag

17 Christine April 22, 2011 at 10:54 pm

I love the occasional evening alone. For me those mean cereal nights, though.
Christine recently posted..Top 40- Part 3

18 Hilary April 22, 2011 at 10:59 pm

Sheppard’s pie, fancy? I don’t know if I’d consider it fancy, but it looks good!
Hilary recently posted..Back from the Great Beyond

19 Sana April 22, 2011 at 11:39 pm

Army wives is sooo addicting and soo good πŸ™‚
Sana recently posted..Black Bottoms

20 caitlin April 22, 2011 at 11:41 pm

I LOVE that show! I seriously watched all the episodes in about one week. This weeks new episode looks so good! Cant wait πŸ™‚

21 Ashley April 23, 2011 at 1:27 am

I used to love army wives, but I’m way behind now! The pie looks great!

22 Miranda @ Working Mom Works Out April 23, 2011 at 9:01 am

Lentils are my fave legume. This looks awesome. I’m for sure going to try it.

23 Jamie Sometimes Healthy Girl April 23, 2011 at 9:19 am

Oh I need to get into army wives! That Shepard Pie looks delish πŸ™‚
Jamie Sometimes Healthy Girl recently posted..Living in a Texan Paradise

24 Sarah K April 23, 2011 at 11:17 am

I love love love Army Wives…it is so addicting. And that Shepard’s Pie looks great.
Sarah K recently posted..Learning Quotes

25 Kaitlyn @ 7 Plates April 23, 2011 at 1:09 pm

I had the same kind of Friday night on purpose… Sometimes you just have to sit and chill on the couch!
Kaitlyn @ 7 Plates recently posted..Back to Blogging

26 Amy April 23, 2011 at 1:56 pm

So you watch netflix on your tv?
Amy recently posted..3 Things I am loving…

27 Meghann April 23, 2011 at 3:42 pm

Yes, it’s connected to my blue ray disc player

28 The Teenage Taste April 23, 2011 at 1:56 pm

Oooh, that lentil shepards pie is such a great idea! I love how you used sweet potatoes instead of regular potatoes!
The Teenage Taste recently posted..Oreo Crunch Muffins