Water for Elephants

by Meghann on April 21, 2011

Living Social strikes again!

This time in the form of movie tickets for the yet-to-be-released Water for Elephants. Score!

My $20 purchase for the ‘Red Carpet Advance Screening of Water for Elephants’ included:

• 1 Ticket to the movie
  • 3 Drink Tickets
  • Hor Dourves before the event
  • $10 gift card to Amazon to buy the book (I bought the New Rules of Weight Lifting for Women instead. Shhhh… don’t tell)

When I originally bought the deal I assumed it came with two tickets and was planning on taking Derek on a date night. For that I thought $20 was a steal! Then I read the fine print and realized it was one ticket and the concept of a deal went out the window. However, I wasn’t going to let the one ticket go to waste.

I spent $20 to see a movie and – dang it – I was going to get my money’s worth!

Rumor had it that Living Social sold over 600 tickets to the event! Cha-Ching! Cha-Ching!

They did keep their end of the bargain and had a nice spread of food and alcohol in a big, fancy tent next to the theater. I’m assuming this is what they meant by ‘red cart experience.’

I made a small plate of the offerings. What ever that cheese-less pizza was – it was amazing.

Everyone seemed to be big fans of the three drink tickets.

Unfortunately none of the adult beverages really caught my eye. I ended up giving my tickets to a random stranger and stuck to bottles water instead.

This is the point where having a date would have come in handy. I may have been a little eager when heading to the event and arrived when they told everyone to (an hour and a half before the start). Being by myself, in a big tent of strangers, so long before the movie started wasn’t as fun as I thought it was going to be.

I walked around, grabbed some food, and headed inside the theater an hour early to grab a good seat and pass the time.

I wasn’t sure how the food would be at the ‘red carpet’ party, so I came prepared with a purse full of goodies.

I ended up eating the wrap I made ahead of time with hummus, cheese, and spinach,

And the apple.

But tossed the popcorn due to a satisfyingly full belly. πŸ™‚

So, how was the movie?

IMG_6094.jpg

I liked it!

I thought Edward… err.… Robert Pattison and Reese Witherspoon had amazing chemistry and really worked well together. It was refreshing to see him in a new role.

If you need a good love story in your life I say go see it.

Just don’t pay $20 for it.

1 Courtney @ The Granola Chronicles April 21, 2011 at 11:17 pm

What a fun event! I really want to see the movie, but I want to make sure that I read the book first.

2 Tara @ trulysimplebits April 21, 2011 at 11:18 pm

so happy to hear a good review. I loved the book and I’m pumped to see the movie this weekend!
Tara @ trulysimplebits recently posted..Trolls

3 Jess@atasteofconfidence April 21, 2011 at 11:19 pm

I loved the book, hope the movie measures up!
Jess@atasteofconfidence recently posted..clinched!

4 LindzGreerIndy April 21, 2011 at 11:19 pm

I cannot WAIT to see it tomorrow!! I saw Rob & Reese in an interview last week and couldn’t get over their chemistry in the interview, so I’m glad to see it was just as “intense” on screen! I was so worried I was going to read this and see you hated it! lol…glad to see you enjoyed it…esp since I already bought my tic! πŸ™‚

5 Jenny @ Fitness Health and Food April 21, 2011 at 11:20 pm

what a fun event! πŸ™‚

I’ve been wanting to see that movie bec I loved the book. Doesn’t sound like it lived up to it though πŸ™
Jenny @ Fitness Health and Food recently posted..Body Weight Exercise Strength Workout

6 Chelsea April 21, 2011 at 11:22 pm

I’m dying to see it and I will more than likely be going alone as well. Living in a new town with zero friends stinks! Plus my hubs already voiced his opinion is seeing it….aw, shucks! I actually enjoy seeing movies alone and going out to eat alone. I do however need a girl friend for Something Borrowed!
Chelsea recently posted..Delicious Eats and Juicy Deets

7 Liv @ The Salty n' Sweet April 21, 2011 at 11:23 pm

$20 for all of that sounds like a good deal! But where’s the red carpet!?

I can’t wait for the movie to come out! Love Reese!
Liv @ The Salty n’ Sweet recently posted..Tropical Salad Dinner

8 Meghann April 22, 2011 at 6:15 am

There was a little red carpet, but I forgot to take a photo of it πŸ™‚

9 Kate (What Kate is Cooking) April 21, 2011 at 11:23 pm

I think I’ll wait a month for it to come into the dollar theater before I see it πŸ™‚
Kate (What Kate is Cooking) recently posted..Modesto Half Marathon Recap

10 Kaitlyn @ 7 Plates April 21, 2011 at 11:27 pm

Ah! I think I am going to see that movie soon. Glad to hear it was good! Good idea packing snacks to the movie.. I do that at the movie theater (shh..) because the snacks are WAY too much money!
Kaitlyn @ 7 Plates recently posted..Back to Blogging

11 Ashley April 21, 2011 at 11:33 pm

Twenty dollars actually doesn’t sound that bad for all you got, that has to say something about the movie theatre in my town.
Sorry you didn’t have a buddy to hang with, but at least the movie was good!

12 Allie (Live Laugh Eat) April 21, 2011 at 11:37 pm

I thought that was a good deal! $10 on Amazon, a bottle of water AND some food. Sometimes a date by yourself is a good thing. I hope you enjoyed yourself!

13 Lauren @Hungry Dancer April 21, 2011 at 11:37 pm

Sounds like an awesome event!!! It’s good you went on your own! I probably would have chickened out haha!
Lauren @Hungry Dancer recently posted..Best Salad

14 River April 21, 2011 at 11:37 pm

That’s a shame you had to go by yourself! Glad you enjoyed the movie though πŸ™‚
River recently posted..Makeup Collection – Inspiration

15 Emily @ Savory and Savage April 22, 2011 at 12:19 am

You were brave to go by yourself.

Those kind of events where you have to hang around with a bunch of strangers? Not my favorite thing at all πŸ™
Emily @ Savory and Savage recently posted..Imagination at work

16 Courtney April 22, 2011 at 12:28 am

I heard the book was great, the movie looks good, but I might just stick to the novel! πŸ™‚
Courtney recently posted..From Mother to Daughter – Banana Nut Loaf

17 Christine April 22, 2011 at 12:45 am

That’s an awesome deal. I’m glad to hear you liked it, it’s been getting really mixed reviews but I think I’m going to go for it!
Christine recently posted..Top 40- Part 3

18 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife April 22, 2011 at 1:08 am

haha that is kind of a sad/happy story πŸ˜‰ Glad you liked the movie, though–score!!

19 erica April 22, 2011 at 4:57 am

i give you a lot of credit….i don’t think i would’ve gone alone. i’m a big baby ;p

very interested in seeing this movie. debating if i should read the book first…

20 Kara April 22, 2011 at 6:12 am

I want to see that, but I’ll probably stick to the book until it comes out on DVD. Stupid lack of trustworthy babysitter available whenever I want! πŸ™‚
Kara recently posted..Thankful Friday

21 Dina @ DinaRuns April 22, 2011 at 6:12 am

The previews look pretty good. Will probably try to read the book first.
Dina @ DinaRuns recently posted..Pizza- Pizza

22 Christine @ Burning It Off April 22, 2011 at 6:53 am

I’m glad to hear the movie was good… I read the book about two years ago and it was unforgettable. I loved the unique setting and characters… can’t wait to see the movie!
Christine @ Burning It Off recently posted..Introducing the Flexi-Bar

23 Lauren April 22, 2011 at 6:55 am

I can’t wait to see this movie but I think I’ll have to wait for it to come out on DVD. Somehow I don’t think I’ll be able to convince my hubby to go with me. πŸ˜‰
Lauren recently posted..Dont Cry Over Spilt Kombucha

24 Holly @ The Runny Egg April 22, 2011 at 7:46 am

I want to read the book first but to be honest Robert Patt. seems to act so robotic in any movie he is in, so I’m worried that he’ll ruin it πŸ™ I like Reese though, and the shots of her on the elephant in the commercials look so cool!
Holly @ The Runny Egg recently posted..Pizza Bread

25 Lee April 22, 2011 at 8:00 am

Ooh, this reminds me that I bought a fandango thing through living social like a month ago. I totally forgot about it.

26 Hope April 22, 2011 at 8:07 am

What a cool event! I’m glad that the movie was good! I really want to read the book before I go see it. It looks really good πŸ™‚
Hope recently posted..I Am A Risotto Fan…

27 Ally April 22, 2011 at 8:25 am

The cheeseless pizza is tomato pie!! I thought they only made that near Philadelphia! It’s one of my favorite things to have in the summertime. πŸ™‚
Ally recently posted..Evil Laugh

28 Laura T. April 23, 2011 at 9:03 pm

LOVE tomato pie! I’m from the philly area too and its a staple at cookouts and parties around here. Its absolutely delicious!

29 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey April 22, 2011 at 8:36 am

I loved that book!! I’m looking forward to seeing the movie.
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..meat free for me

30 miranda @ working mom works out April 22, 2011 at 8:42 am

Bummer about the “deal”. Glad you liked the movie. I’m a Reese Witherspoon fan.

31 Paula @ Eat: Watch: Run April 22, 2011 at 8:58 am

You saying Rob/Reese had good chemisty actually makes me want to see this now. I was a little worried about that pairing. I haven’t read the book but everyone tells me I should. πŸ™‚
Paula @ Eat: Watch: Run recently posted..Three Things Thursday

32 Marina April 22, 2011 at 9:08 am

I’ve read the book and I love it, now I can’t wait to see the movie!
But I really don’t like Pattinson, so I’m not sure how will I accept him in the role πŸ™‚
Marina recently posted..b-day recap and ramblings

33 Mimi April 22, 2011 at 9:10 am

What an awesome deal with the Amazon coupon thrown in there! The book is great, so I can’t help but lower my expectations for the movie. Still, I want to see it!
Mimi recently posted..Combo Cookies

34 Elizabeth@The Sweet Life April 22, 2011 at 9:20 am

Love, love, love the book and really want to see the movie!!
Elizabeth@The Sweet Life recently posted..Staying Connected

35 Julie @ Lettuce Choose Healthy April 22, 2011 at 9:24 am

i want to see this movie! i wouldnt think that rob/reese would work well together.. but so far whoever Ive talked to said they were great!
Julie @ Lettuce Choose Healthy recently posted..Luna Bar GIVEAWAY!!!

36 Kacy April 22, 2011 at 9:38 am

That’s a pretty good deal considering the gift card. Maybe if Derek had bought one too it would have been more fun. Glad you liked the movie!!
Kacy recently posted..What’s in the bag

37 Ash @ Good Taste Healthy Me April 22, 2011 at 9:43 am

I do want to see this. Mostly because I enjoy Robert Pattinson. I wish he looked that good “in real life” but he always looks dirty and unkempt. Totally ruins it for me.
Ash @ Good Taste Healthy Me recently posted..Puppy Love

38 Jessica @ Domesticated-Bliss April 22, 2011 at 9:45 am

Make sure to read the book, it’s really great!
Jessica @ Domesticated-Bliss recently posted..Wedded Bliss- Movie Trailers!

39 Kierstan @ Life {and running} in Iowa April 22, 2011 at 9:46 am

I loved the book. I don’t want to be disappointed by the movie – but am tempted to go and see it in the theaters.

Maybe I’ll re-read the book first….soooo good!
Kierstan @ Life {and running} in Iowa recently posted..roasted chickpea tacos with cumin spiced coleslaw

40 Melissa @ TryingToHeal April 22, 2011 at 10:09 am

i need to read the book first, i’m weird like that when it comes to book movies! glad you liked the movie though, and i must confess…robert is look’n pretty good in this movie. i never liked the way he looked in twilight.
Melissa @ TryingToHeal recently posted..Work- Work- Work

41 Julia April 22, 2011 at 10:36 am

Do you proofreed your posts after you write them? There are always so many typos! Not trying to be snarky, I just think it’s a little sloppy when you have sponsors, etc.

red cart = red carpet
bottles water = bottled water
etc.

42 Allison April 22, 2011 at 10:41 am

The cheese-less pizza was probably Scachatta and you can get it from Alessi’s Bakery on West Cypress. It’s delicious!

43 Jeni @ stepping out April 22, 2011 at 10:45 am

I probably would have gone for that deal if it had been offered in my area too but I would have bought 2 tickets because I definitely wouldn’t have wanted to go alone. It definitely sounds like a cool idea and I can’t wait to see the movie! (Btw…I love that you took an entire wrap and already popped bag of popcorn into the theatre. I like to take my own snacks too but I’ve never brought something that elaborate. :D)
Jeni @ stepping out recently posted..How fit is your fridge

44 Katie G. April 22, 2011 at 11:31 am

Good for you for going by yourself! I went to a movie by myself once (not a movie event), and I enjoyed it. The only thing I missed was discussing the movie afterwards. I ALWAYS bring my own snacks to the movies! (usually a mini bag of popcorn and a yogurt) I like the idea of a wrap!
Katie G. recently posted..Earth Day!!!

45 Crystal V April 22, 2011 at 2:16 pm

Holla for utilizing the “movie purse” and smuggling in your own treats πŸ˜‰