High Tea

by Meghann on April 21, 2011

A couple of days ago a reader left a comment asking how I could afford to eat out as much as I do (which admittedly is getting to be a bit much, but I’m in a new area and want to explore!).

Well, here’s the answer.

Group deal sites are my friend. πŸ™‚

I found the above deal through Living Social last month and immediately thought of my friend Callie in St Pete. The deal was the perfect excuse to make the lunchtime drive over to see my (very pregnant) friend.

IMG_6081.jpg

What, she doesn’t look pregnant?

Try this view.

IMG_6082.jpg

There’s the belly! Baby will be here in just a few weeks! eekkkk!!!

A Corner of England is an adorable tea room in St. Pete that I would never heard of had it not been for Living Social.

They have fun hats to wear for the full high tea experience

as well as a full tea room with quaint tables dressed in floral table cloths and set with dainty tea china.

Lovely.

Since we had the Living Social coupon to burn we decided to go all out with the traditional High Tea menu option.

I selected the Green Mint Tea for my portion and was served a fresh, tiny pot.

The pot yielded 4 dainty cups.

When I make tea at home I use big coffee mugs for a single bag and reuse the bag several times before throwing it out. Then I wonder why my tea is never as good as the ones served at the tea shops. hmmm…. it’s a mystery. πŸ˜‰

Our High Tea included a Strawberry Gazpacho Soup.

(Sweet, Creamy, and Refreshing)

Two plates of finger food

IMG_6064.jpg

Finger sandwiches

Quiche and Sausage Roll

Mini Brownie, Fruit, and Cheese Danish

Everything came in tiny bites that were fun to eat. My favorite being the Pesto & Tomato Sandwich.

And we finished with Strawberry Scones.

Baked fresh that day – they were dry, crumbly, and I easily polished mine off without a problem.

When everything was in front of us, it didn’t look like a lot of food, but the tiny bites added up quickly and there was still plenty left to take home.

IMG_6075.jpg

And instead of a chocolate with our check, we got tea bags. How cute is that?

Everything about the High Tea was great, but the best part was the company. I loved catching up with Callie and I still can’t believe she’s going to be a Mom in June! She’s going to be a great one! πŸ™‚

Since I was in St. Pete (about 40 mins from my home in Tampa) I decided to stay for the day and explore. Callie sent me to a cute little cafe down the street where I’ve settled in for the next couple of hours to get some work done.

I’ve got my Iced Coffee (plain with just a splash of creamer), a plug for my computer, and a relaxed atmosphere to keep me chilled. Yep, I’d say this place is a winner. Now, it’s time to work!

1 Alexa @ The Girl In Chucks April 21, 2011 at 1:54 pm

I love high teas! How fun!

I had never been to a tea service before last year, but I’ve been several times now and I really enjoy them. I would’ve never imagined I could get into something so…girly….but I’m into it! πŸ™‚
Alexa @ The Girl In Chucks recently posted..Fitbits are NOT Waterproof

2 Kara April 21, 2011 at 1:59 pm

I wished I lived closer to civilization so I could actually use Groupons! They never have Groupons for Wawa, so I’m out of luck πŸ™‚
Kara recently posted..Hot Hump Day

3 Katy (The Singing Runner) April 21, 2011 at 1:59 pm

What an adorable place! I am looking for cute coffee shops and tea rooms in Jacksonville to set my work station at… Starbucks is getting a little boring.
Katy (The Singing Runner) recently posted..Chicago Marathon 2011 Training Reflection- Week 4

4 Hope April 21, 2011 at 1:59 pm

That looks like so much fun! I’ve never been to high tea! I would love to try it sometime. Those sandwiches look tasty! πŸ™‚ I’ve never bought any deals on Groupon or Living Social. I never end up seeing things that are close enough for me to try. I’m jealous πŸ™‚

5 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat April 21, 2011 at 2:00 pm

That place is so cute!! Love that they have hats to wear and everything! I get Living Social deals as well as Groupons and TeamBuys, but unfortunately the nearest Living Social city is Toronto and that’s usually a little too far for me to go. Oh well, hopefully as it gets more popular, we’ll get more in my city!
Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat recently posted..A Tofu Experiment

6 Alison (Fueling for Fitness) April 21, 2011 at 2:09 pm

Going for high tea is one of my favourite things to do! Love finger sandwiches, clotted cream (sounds disgusting, tastes heavenly) and scones. MMMMMM
Alison (Fueling for Fitness) recently posted..The trials and tribulations of hill repeats

7 Julia @http://takingitdaybydayinks.blogspot.com April 21, 2011 at 2:09 pm

LOVE groupon and living social. I have an addiction to massages and facials that is supported by the deals on these sites!
Julia @http://takingitdaybydayinks.blogspot.com recently posted..3 down 1 to go

8 Ashley April 21, 2011 at 2:10 pm

That looks so adorable! I’ve never experienced anything like that before.
You reuse your tea bags? While that does seems eco friendly, it doesn’t sound very tasty :/
Have a great day πŸ™‚

9 Ash @ Good Taste Healthy Me April 21, 2011 at 2:12 pm

I love the food! How fun is that!? I love tea. I’m always in between coffee and tea. Can never decide on what I want!
Ash @ Good Taste Healthy Me recently posted..Puppy Love

10 Jenny @ Fitness Health and Food April 21, 2011 at 2:17 pm

ohh that looks like fun!

I’ve never been to a high tea, that strawberry gazpacho certainly sounds interesting! πŸ˜›

11 Kaitlyn @ 7 Plates April 21, 2011 at 2:20 pm

That looks like such a cute and homey restaurant. I have never heard of Living Social, but you bet I’m about to look it up! πŸ™‚
Kaitlyn @ 7 Plates recently posted..Back to Blogging

12 Holly @ The Runny Egg April 21, 2011 at 2:20 pm

High tea sounds like fun! And those hats are so cute!
Holly @ The Runny Egg recently posted..Pizza Bread

13 Stefanie @TheNewHealthy April 21, 2011 at 2:27 pm

That place looks so cute and fun! And I’m in love with the living social deals! πŸ™‚

14 RunEatRepeat April 21, 2011 at 2:31 pm

My ex’s fam (the girls) had a tradition of going to a tea place like that for birthdays. I loved it!
RunEatRepeat recently posted..Leaving Las Vegas

15 Kierstan @ Life {and running} in Iowa April 21, 2011 at 2:36 pm

I haven’t sat down for a “high tea” since I visited England quite a few years ago! Sounds like a fun afternoon catching up with a friend! I might just have to plan an afternoon out with friends like this!
Kierstan @ Life {and running} in Iowa recently posted..roasted chickpea tacos with cumin spiced coleslaw

16 Freya April 21, 2011 at 2:42 pm

Awh what a cute way to spend the day! They have a LOT of places in England like that :p uber fancy!!
Strawberry soup — I want!
Freya recently posted..Awesome Rawsome Gourmet Raw

17 Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun April 21, 2011 at 2:56 pm

Group deal sites are the main way we’re able to eat out as well. Love those things!

Your lunch looks fabulous. And so does Callie! πŸ™‚
Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun recently posted..Spreading The Love Giveaway

18 Courtney @ The Granola Chronicles April 21, 2011 at 3:12 pm

I would love that tea place. So darling! You friend is just glowing – you can tell she’s so excited to become a mom! πŸ™‚

19 Leigh April 21, 2011 at 3:13 pm

What a fun way to spend the afternoon with your friend! I’ve never done something like that and it looks like fun. Love deal sites like that πŸ™‚

I am coming to St. Pete’s Beach in June…anything I need to see, do, eat while I am there?

20 Jamie@everydaydolce April 21, 2011 at 3:22 pm

That tea looks divine…what a fun, interesting meal! It’s always nice to have a lunch out with a girlfriend during the week πŸ™‚
Jamie@everydaydolce recently posted..cookies and things

21 Courtney April 21, 2011 at 3:27 pm

How cute! I <3 the little finger foods. Did you two happen to wear the hats to fully experience high tea? haha

(BTW, I'm one of those weirdos who reads often and comments little. Hope you're not creeped out by my random comment. Your blog is lovely, by the way!)

22 Emily @ Savory and Savage April 21, 2011 at 3:49 pm

I love going to high tea. That strawberry soup looked really yummy!

You have inspired me to get out and about when I do my daily writing – I need to hunt down a coffee shop with great ambiance.
Emily @ Savory and Savage recently posted..Stracciatella

23 Christie April 21, 2011 at 3:52 pm

It looks divine! I’ve never had high tea, I might have to do something about that!

Groupon is finally coming to New Zealand – and after seeing the great deals you’ve found, I can’t wait for it to arrive!

(I’m also a new commenter…even though I’ve been reading for about 2 years!)

24 Alaina April 21, 2011 at 4:08 pm

What a cute and fun afternoon! We have high tea around here but it’s in all the fancy hotels. I would like to try the Park Plaza though; they have tea sommelier. πŸ™‚
Alaina recently posted..Working My Way Back- 1369 Coffee House

25 Mimi April 21, 2011 at 4:08 pm

That sounds so cute! I went to a similar place with my mom, aunts and grandma when I was younger. It was magical back then!

I hope your iced coffee is better than yesterday’s!
Mimi recently posted..Combo Cookies

26 Kacy April 21, 2011 at 4:32 pm

How adorable! I’ve always wanted to get real high tea somewhere.
Kacy recently posted..What’s in the bag

27 Jessie April 21, 2011 at 5:19 pm

I love A Corner of England! My mom lives in St. Pete and I’ve gone there many times. The owners are so nice and I just love everything about the place. I’m glad you had a coupon though, because one thing A Corner of England is not is cheap!

28 Kate (What Kate is Cooking) April 21, 2011 at 5:20 pm

That’s such a cute little place! I went to a little tea shop once, but it was quite the hippie establishment πŸ™‚
Kate (What Kate is Cooking) recently posted..Modesto Half Marathon Recap

29 Courtney April 21, 2011 at 5:31 pm

What a fun little place! Reminds me of having “tea parties” as a little kid! πŸ™‚
Courtney recently posted..Guess WHAT

30 Lauren April 21, 2011 at 8:11 pm

I have always wanted to do a tea date. How fun! πŸ™‚
Lauren recently posted..Dont Cry Over Spilt Kombucha

31 Christine April 21, 2011 at 8:12 pm

Those places are so cute, but I refuse to try on the hats. I used to be an elementary teacher and know far too much about lice. I know, I know, I’m paranoid, and the odds tea shop patrons having lice is slim, but still. Those suckers creep me out.
Christine recently posted..Top 40- Part 3

32 Laura April 21, 2011 at 8:25 pm

Hee. Sorry, but I love that at the “English” high tea experience, they serve brownies, the quintessential American sweet. Everything does look yummy, though! And if you haven’t ever been, totally put “high tea at Claridge’s” in London on your “To Do Before I Die” list! πŸ™‚

33 kathleen April 21, 2011 at 8:38 pm

I always hear the living social commercials on pandora but have never checked them out. Maybe I should. I’ve been in pittsburgh since august and still haven’t explored. Granted I have a 4 month old but still, I should get out a bit more!
kathleen recently posted..Raw vegan granola 8573205730594

34 Hilary April 21, 2011 at 8:39 pm

Mmmm….LOVE high tea! Sadly I don’t have anywhere near me to go though.
Hilary recently posted..Terrific Trifle

35 lea peabody April 21, 2011 at 8:44 pm

Om gosh! Im in Victoria, BC now and we just had High Tea at the Empress!! AMazing experience…Check it out by googling the Empress…I love Canada!!

36 Cara April 21, 2011 at 8:54 pm

Tea is so much fun! It looks like you had a great afternoon!

37 Julie @ Lettuce Choose Healthy April 21, 2011 at 9:13 pm

how fun! The little tea sandwiches look yummy!

38 Miranda @ Working Mom Works Out April 21, 2011 at 9:58 pm

Aww, what a cute, dainty little place.

I’d drag my husband there and make him drink tea and be uncomfortable. That’s what I do. Ha, I’m mean. J/K

39 Alexa @ SimpleEats April 21, 2011 at 10:00 pm

Looks like SUCH a fun place! I feel like high tea is such a lost cause here in America, but this place brings it back to life!
Alexa @ SimpleEats recently posted..Blog Love

40 Jess@atasteofconfidence April 21, 2011 at 10:05 pm

That place looks so cute!
Jess@atasteofconfidence recently posted..clinched!

41 Amy April 21, 2011 at 10:44 pm

The tea experience looks super fun and I love finding new places to try – especially if a group deal site is involved!
Although I do have to say, of all the things I take from your blog, wondering how you spend your money isn’t one of them lol.
Amy recently posted..3 Things I am loving…