Because I’m Classy

by Meghann on April 20, 2011

Introducing my first ever Starbucks Skinny Iced Vanilla Latte.

IMG_6034.jpg

Unfortunately I wasn’t impressed.

• It’s ridiculously overpriced
  • It has a burnt taste (I’m starting to think this is just a latte thing)
  • Too sweet
  • Not worth it

On another note, I’ve gotten a little out of hand with these fancy drinks I’ve been ordering lately. (not all have made the blog πŸ™ ) They are delicious, but full of calories and a little hard on the wallet. I need to go back to the good ole fashion un-sweet tea drinks I used to enjoy when I first started working from coffee shops. It was so easy to get sucked into the fancy stuff. Can quitting be just as easy? hmm….

I had a granola bar to fill the void the iced latte left. πŸ™‚

It did the job. πŸ™‚

My 7:30 meeting this evening was smack dab in the middle of dinner time. So, the question is – eat before or after?

I went with before. No one likes a cranky, hungry consultant.

IMG_6040.jpg

No one likes a consultant whose late either. Dinner was quick, easy, and consumed while I was heading out the door. Luckily, some reheated Split Pea Soup with peanuts and raisins made that possible.

And a corn muffin to round it out.

The meeting was great! Im heading back on Friday to take a few photos and iron the last details out. I’m really excited to sink my teeth into this project! I love working with family owned businesses who are just as passionate about what they do as I am. πŸ™‚

Post-meeting de-stresser ice cream.

Consumed straight from the container

Because I’m classy like that.

IMG_6055.jpg

Are you digging my I-work-from-home-and-don’t-believe-in-hair-dyrers-curling-irons-or-straighteners-anymore look I have going on? Yeah. I need to work on that.

Tomorrow’s goal: SWIM

Can I do it?

Water. Wet. Cold. umm... maybe?

1 Molly April 20, 2011 at 10:03 pm

I do this with peanutbutter, milk, cans of soup…just about anything I dont have to dirty a dish. Yes, my kitchen screams class.
Molly recently posted..Never ever doubt

2 Fit Chick Britt April 20, 2011 at 10:04 pm

You can do it!! and I think your hair looks good natural.
Fit Chick Britt recently posted..The Most Indecisive Girl in the World

3 Katie @ Nourishing Flourishing April 20, 2011 at 10:05 pm

Ha, well, I’m classy too then — I haven’t blow-dried my hair in like 7 years! πŸ˜€
Katie @ Nourishing Flourishing recently posted..Vegan Gluten-Free Dough Balls- Cinnamon Raisin Coconut Chocolate Chip

4 Meghann April 21, 2011 at 6:49 am

I have thick hair, so blow drying sucks! I may jump on the 7 year band wagon too.

5 kristen April 20, 2011 at 10:06 pm

I work from home too and I’ve stopped doing my hair as well…I almost feel put out when I DO have to do my hair…
kristen recently posted..windy running

6 Alex April 20, 2011 at 10:10 pm

If I worked from home my hair would be in a ponytail 100% of the time! Oh the woes of having no dress code!
Alex recently posted..CSA

7 River April 20, 2011 at 10:11 pm

It’s beacuse you should get a frappe! Not an iced latte. Frappe’s are amazing. I always go to Starbucks thinking ‘I’ll get a hot drink this time’ but Frappes always win me over!
River recently posted..Breaking Out

8 Ally (oatsandspice) April 20, 2011 at 10:12 pm

Split pea soup and corn bread are always a combination that cannot go wrong! LOVE IT!
Ally (oatsandspice) recently posted..Breakfast Lunch Dinner

9 Miranda @ Working Mom Works Out April 20, 2011 at 10:14 pm

Reminds me of that Office episode where Jim dressed up in a tux and tried to make everything classy. Stay classy.

10 Dori April 20, 2011 at 10:17 pm

Sugar-free vanilla soy latte is my favorite drink! Sad you didn’t like it!
Dori recently posted..The Race I Didn’t Run

11 Meghann April 21, 2011 at 6:50 am

I know. πŸ™

12 Lauri (RedHeadRecipes.com) April 20, 2011 at 10:18 pm

I agree with you about Starbucks coffee… I always think its gonna taste better than it actually ends up tasting!

Oh, and your hair looks awesome!! Wish I could get away with not having to blow dry/curl mine everyday!!
Lauri (RedHeadRecipes.com) recently posted..Dinner in 5…

13 Mary April 20, 2011 at 10:20 pm

Love your blog!!
You should order iced coffee at Starbucks and ask them to leave room – then add skim milk/sweetener at the bar.

It is WAY cheaper and tastes basically the same. When iced a latte is basically coffee+milk since there is no foam!

14 Meghann April 21, 2011 at 6:51 am

I was actually researaching to see the difference between a regular iced coffee with milk and an iced latte. The iced coffee tastes better anyways.

15 Jessica April 21, 2011 at 11:04 am

Lattes have espresso in them, versus regular drip coffee.

16 Julie April 21, 2011 at 8:27 pm

They actually have an iced coffee with milk option which isn’t any more than iced coffee without milk. It’s cheap and yummy and can be sweetened or not. I get it with half the sweetener and it’s awesome…also, it’s full of calcium!

17 Erin April 20, 2011 at 10:21 pm

Lattes with just espresso and (whole) milk are the best! I hate that fake sweet taste. Oh, and Starbucks does have a notoriously burnt taste. But a real latte doesn’t have any of that nasty aftertaste.

18 Holly @ The Runny Egg April 20, 2011 at 10:28 pm

Your hair looks better than mine! I like when hair looks more natural like that.

When I get lattes like that, I ask for 1/2 the amount of syrup because they taste too sugary for me and I end up with a stomachache.
Holly @ The Runny Egg recently posted..Pizza Bread

19 Intern_Michelle April 20, 2011 at 10:33 pm

There’s something about eating ice cream out of the carton that still feels rebellious, even as a grown adult. And for some reason, it makes it all the sweeter. ;-P

20 *Andrea* April 20, 2011 at 10:34 pm

you should try the ICED SOY LATTE!!! it’s super delicious, creamy, filling and low cal!

21 Meghann April 21, 2011 at 6:52 am

I think I’ll try a regular iced coffee wtih soy milk next time πŸ™‚

22 Danielle April 21, 2011 at 7:47 am

Add a shot of flavor (vanilla or hazelnut are amaaazing) and you’ll be in heaven!!
Danielle recently posted..Tempo Tuesday

23 *Andrea* April 21, 2011 at 9:13 am

another excellent drink!! prob cheaper than a soy latte and you can add as much milk as you desire! i honestly prefer them WITHOUT syrup…it tastes artificial to me and kinda weirdly sweet. (my only exception is with special holiday drinks!).

24 mitzi @ my nikon eats food April 21, 2011 at 7:09 pm

SECOND THAT.

25 Liv @ The Salty n' Sweet April 20, 2011 at 10:36 pm

Before you quit fancy drinks completely, you have to try an iced soy chai latte. Those are amazing, but not so much if you don’t like chai tea lol.
Liv @ The Salty n’ Sweet recently posted..Tropical Salad Dinner

26 Michelle April 20, 2011 at 10:36 pm

As a Starbucks addict (yes, I am a gold card member)– I say skip the iced drinks. They are “eh.” I prefer mine hot with 2 pumps of mocha πŸ™‚ (or peppermint mocha – that’s acceptable too). Oh, and “skinny” means artificial sweetner — and it’s just SO wrong!

(wow, I sound like a crazy coffee person)

27 Meghann April 21, 2011 at 6:52 am

see, I prefer the iced drinks over hot. Maybe it’s just the weather?

28 Leah @ L4L April 20, 2011 at 10:40 pm

eek! Those skinny drinks are FULL of nasty artificial sweeteners! YUCK! Its better to just get the real deal.
Leah @ L4L recently posted..Amaretto Almond Chicken

29 Erica H. April 20, 2011 at 10:41 pm

From a coffee nerd: Starbucks usually overroasts their beans — their dark roast is so dark that it’s pretty burned or close to it, which is probably why your drinks from there have tasted burned. Roasting dark allows them to give all the beans a uniform flavor. The quality and subtle flavors of the beans that they get can vary year to year, depending on the growing season, climate and harvest, so accordingly, the coffee roasted at a light or medium level would also have different tastes year to year — which is no good for consumers that come back wanting the exact same cup of coffee every time, regardless of the city. Roasting is something that Starbucks (and other roasters) can control regardless of the quality of the bean — roasting uniformly dark helps the type of coffee (sumatran, italian, etc) taste the same every year, in LA, Chicago, Paris, etc. I bet that lattes from smaller shops who may roast their own beans will taste better πŸ™‚

Next time you’re at starbucks, order a shot or double shot of espresso and ask for a cup of ice. Once it cools a bit, you can add the espresso to the ice and top off with milk from the “coffee fixing” station (or a milk box or they sell tall milks). It’s cheaper and you control the coffee to milk ratio!

30 Cat April 20, 2011 at 10:57 pm

Agreed! It’s a Starbucks thing. Also, I think you’re hip to this already, but if I’m feeling like I want vanilla, I just ask for half or less of what they normally put in. Tastes muuuuch better, not too sweet.

31 Meghann April 21, 2011 at 6:54 am

I usually only get 1 pump of the syrup, but since I wanted to try the drink as is, I didn’t change a thing.

32 Jen April 20, 2011 at 10:44 pm

Lol, I’m starting to think we’re sisters. πŸ™‚ I have some of the same cravings you do! Maybe we need more protein since we crave cool drinks + ice cream! try unsweetened passion fruit tea (or passion lemonade) but with raspberry syrup instead of sugar syrup πŸ™‚

33 Kt April 20, 2011 at 10:48 pm

I agree, Starbucks drinks are so sweet! The key is to order 1-pump drinks. And I find the sugar free syrups have a funny taste, maybe that was the burnt flavour?

34 emily April 20, 2011 at 10:49 pm

I didn’t think your hair looked bad, but it’s possible I’m distracted by your adorable shirt! Do you remember where it’s from? I have a love affair with all things bow’d.

35 Meghann April 21, 2011 at 6:54 am

It’s from American Eagle and I think I bought it in 2007 πŸ™‚

36 Allison R. April 20, 2011 at 10:56 pm

All of your meals are disgusting, you should travel the world and learn how to cook healty and delicious food.

37 Meghann April 21, 2011 at 6:55 am

Well, thanks for the vote of confidence. I really appreciate that…… :/

38 Amy April 21, 2011 at 7:53 am

Don’t feed the troll, Meghann πŸ™‚
Amy recently posted..rereading tolkien- he’s just not that into you

39 Mel April 21, 2011 at 6:22 pm

split pea soup is seriously delicious!!! try it before you knock it

40 Ash Bear April 21, 2011 at 7:07 am

Didn’t your mother ever teach you to not say anything if you can’t say anything nice?
Ash Bear recently posted..Elton John &gt Blogging

41 Dee April 20, 2011 at 10:57 pm

No lies, the first thing I thought when I saw that picture, before I read the caption was, “Wow, her hair looks adorable.” I’m so jealous!

42 Mary April 21, 2011 at 9:16 am

That’s exactly what I was going to say too! I have to try to get my hair to look that good and not be an afro… (dang Texas humidity!)

43 LoriV. @ For the Run of It April 20, 2011 at 10:58 pm

Here’s my thoughts: first, Starbucks is the bomb and you cannot be unimpressed with it! Second, an iced skinny vanilla latte must be ordered in Venti size otherwise the ratios are not right. A hot one can be grande, but an iced one has to be venti. I agree with whoever else said to get a frappucino (well they said frappe but at Starbucks its a frappucino). Those are awesome!!

44 Emily @ Savory and Savage April 20, 2011 at 11:01 pm

Oh, the joys of not having to do the ‘hair thing’ for a job.

Your soup looked delicious with the peanuts on top!
Emily @ Savory and Savage recently posted..Laptops and lunch

45 Christine April 20, 2011 at 11:03 pm

At least your hair looks okay… I call those days pony tail days.
Christine recently posted..Top 40- Part 3

46 Amy April 20, 2011 at 11:07 pm

Ice Cream straight from the container tastes that much better! Good luck on your swim!
Amy recently posted..Wednesday weigh-in- My Scale

47 kate@ahealthypassion April 20, 2011 at 11:09 pm

I used to be a starbucks addict but recently im not impressed either I prefer local coffee joints!

48 Meghann April 21, 2011 at 6:56 am

I think that’s it. I’m spoiled by local coffee joints. πŸ™‚

49 Emily April 21, 2011 at 8:53 am

Agreed. I’m not a Starbucks fan, either. I avoid going there if at all possible, and will always choose a local coffee shop over the ‘bucks.
Emily recently posted..Thanks- karma

50 Jenny @ Fitness Health and Food April 20, 2011 at 11:21 pm

That’s so great that you’re passionate about your clients business – so important.

I’m totally with you on the late night ice cream – it’s definitely my go to snack. Re swimming – you can do it! πŸ™‚

51 Katy (The Singing Runner) April 20, 2011 at 11:26 pm

I think your hair looks nice! πŸ™‚

I can’t drink Starbucks coffee very often. It always has a burnt taste to me.
Katy (The Singing Runner) recently posted..Chicago Marathon 2011 Training Reflection- Week 4

52 Sarah K April 20, 2011 at 11:31 pm

I think the hair looks good, and I’m a Starbucks fan but agree that fancy coffee drinks are way overpriced.
Sarah K recently posted..Have You Ever Noticed

53 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife April 20, 2011 at 11:33 pm

I am swimming tomorrow too-so I am your virtual go-to buddy :)We’ll check up on each other, k?? πŸ™‚ P.s.I work part-time from home too and my hair looked like today as well. haha. love it.

54 Meghann April 21, 2011 at 6:57 am

I’m heading out the door! Pool – here I come!

55 Kacy April 20, 2011 at 11:41 pm

Ice cream straight from the carton is the best thing ever!
Kacy recently posted..What’s in the bag

56 Maisie April 20, 2011 at 11:42 pm

Your hair looks much MUCH better than it ever has in your usual “done” style. I always thought you had weird, damaged-looking hair (so big and poufy like oddly straight and straw-like). However it looks SUPER pretty here- the kind of hair I’m jealous of! Guess all those times before you were just stupidly killing it with blow dryer, straightening irons and curling irons.

57 Meghann April 21, 2011 at 6:57 am

Not even sure how to respond to this one…

58 Jules April 21, 2011 at 7:45 am

lol. I never comment really…but wtf is up with people? Your hair is gorgeous Meghann.

59 Casey April 21, 2011 at 10:15 am

Um what?! Who are these people commenting on your blog today Meghann?? You have gorgeous hair straight, curly, or whatever. Geez.

60 Phoebe April 22, 2011 at 6:00 am

Wow . . . I think your hair looks great when you “do” it as well as when you don’t! Of course you pull the “natural” look off perfectly above (I would believe in a second that it was “done”) but I definitely sympathize with wanting to straighten it or whatever on occasion. I also live in the humid South and my hair is complete insanity if I don’t attack it (unlike yours above – you are lucky!).

61 Alaina April 21, 2011 at 12:21 am

I used to get the skinny vanilla latte’s all the time. Now I’m into Earl Gray latte’s with a shot of vanilla: the London Fog. Such a great drink. πŸ™‚
Alaina recently posted..Working My Way Back- 1369 Coffee House

62 Marie April 21, 2011 at 12:32 am

First-world problems.

63 Katy April 21, 2011 at 12:47 am

hahahahhahaha

64 Meghann April 21, 2011 at 6:58 am

True enough πŸ™‚

65 Khushboo April 21, 2011 at 12:53 am

Am I the only one who thinks that food in general (milk, yogurt, ice cream, peanut butter) tastes better when it comes straight out the jar??
Khushboo recently posted..Breakfast of chia-mpions

66 Kate (What Kate is Cooking) April 21, 2011 at 12:54 am

I pretty much eat ice cream exclusively out of the container- although I did put it in a bowl today!
Kate (What Kate is Cooking) recently posted..Modesto Half Marathon Recap

67 Emily @ Comfortable Home Life April 21, 2011 at 1:03 am

I completely understand about the burnt taste – I used to work at Starbucks and HATED their espresso because I thought it tasted burned! Everyone else thought I was nuts. I go to Starbucks every day with a co-worker now (It’s our break in the day since we don’t take an actual lunch hour) and I’ve been getting an iced tall coffee with a bit of soy milk. Only about 30(ish) calories, with the kick of coffee and healthy to boot. No sweetener required because the soy milk Starbucks carries is vanilla flavored. I really enjoy the flavor of Starbucks iced coffee – you should try it!

68 Meghann April 21, 2011 at 6:59 am

Thanks Emily! Everyone has been recommending trying a drink with soy next time. I’m definitely going to try it.

69 Kaitlyn @ 7 Plates April 21, 2011 at 1:08 am

I am trying to get into swimming but I dread it as well! Cold + Wet = the worst combination!
Kaitlyn @ 7 Plates recently posted..Back to Blogging

70 Jemma @ Celery and Cupcakes April 21, 2011 at 5:50 am

Working rom home is one of the best things, just for the simple fact that you don’t have to make any effort i getting ready. πŸ™‚
Jemma @ Celery and Cupcakes recently posted..Cheezy Chips

71 Christine @ Burning It Off April 21, 2011 at 6:41 am

I had to gradually wean myself off of sugary Starbucks drinks… I went from a vanilla latte, to a regular latte to a cafe misto.

And you’re lucky if that’s what your hair looks like naturally!

72 Ash Bear April 21, 2011 at 7:09 am

Bo just walked out the door to swim too!! Good luck in the pool and keep rocking the gorgeous natural ‘do! πŸ™‚ Also, I second the Starbucks suggestion to get an iced coffee with room for milk.
Ash Bear recently posted..Elton John &gt Blogging

73 alison April 21, 2011 at 7:19 am

I’ve given up on espresso drinks from Starbucks because they always taste a little off to me. For hot, I get a misto (with toffee nut syrup) and for cold, I just get a regular iced coffee with room for milk.

But, if you want really good iced coffee….get thee to Dunkin Donuts! πŸ™‚
alison recently posted..Ridiculous Pet Peeve

74 Emily @ Perfection Isn't Happy April 21, 2011 at 7:25 am

I don’t like the skinny lattes either! If I’m going to get a latte at Starbucks, I go for a soy latte. No syrup is the way to go; it doesn’t leave that funny aftertaste!
Emily @ Perfection Isn’t Happy recently posted..A latte kind of day

75 Ash @ Good Taste Healthy Me April 21, 2011 at 7:40 am

I think you look great! I love your hair that way and that shirt is super cute! Where did you get it?
Ash @ Good Taste Healthy Me recently posted..Don’t Laugh – It Could Be You

76 Lee April 21, 2011 at 7:49 am

Have you ever had the soy latte? They use vanilla soy milk so it’s sweet but not as sweet as the skinny vanilla one and it doesn’t have that chemical taste. It’s a bit higher calorie (I think around 150 for a tall) but not bad in the grand scheme of Sbux beverages.
Lee recently posted..I Ran Before I Crawled Before I Slept

77 Laura April 21, 2011 at 7:53 am

I never enjoy drinks from Starbucks. Their coffee always tastes off. When I used to go regularly years ago, I would often (way more often than necessary) end up with tons of grains in my cup. Gross! Now I just stick to getting an iced coffee with soy milk. It’s the only drink that doesn’t taste burned.

78 Amy April 21, 2011 at 7:55 am

I think you have such a cool job, Meghann – your hard work is paying off!

And your hair looks super cute natural like that. I wish my hair had SOME kind of curl to it!
Amy recently posted..rereading tolkien- he’s just not that into you

79 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday April 21, 2011 at 8:08 am

I never do anything to my hair. I wash it (sometimes I even use shampoo and conditioner) and then I let it dry. Anything else is too much time and energy to do daily.

80 Madeline - Greens and Jeans April 21, 2011 at 8:23 am

I love love love hot lattes, but iced? No thanks. Give me an iced coffee any day of the week.
Madeline – Greens and Jeans recently posted..meeting the family

81 Hope April 21, 2011 at 8:44 am

I think most of the time Starbucks coffee tastes burnt. I like it anyway though. πŸ™‚ I’m glad that your meeting went well! Eating ice cream straight out of the container is the best! That is the absolute only way to eat Ben & Jerry’s! πŸ™‚
Hope recently posted..I Am A Risotto Fan…

82 Jen @ keepitsimplefoods April 21, 2011 at 9:45 am

I’m pretty sure the “burnt taste” is just a Starbux than. Booo. Do love my vanilla lattes though. If you don’t like the skinny try a 1 pump regular vanilla. Less sugar and no chemical sweeteners.
Jen @ keepitsimplefoods recently posted..Muffin Top Challenge

83 Kari April 21, 2011 at 9:49 am

Coffee fudge and brownie? THAT is an ice cream flavor.

84 Melissa @ TryingToHeal April 21, 2011 at 9:49 am

hahaha…i did the same thing yesterday. ice cream straight from the container. it’s earth week, right? save some water by not using another dish to dirty!!!
Melissa @ TryingToHeal recently posted..Earth Week and Giveaway!

85 Sarah for Real April 21, 2011 at 10:05 am

You are right about the burnt coffee flavor being an iced latte thing. If they end up pouring the shot onto the ice, it makes it taste like feet. So wrong!

I prefer iced coffee (unsweetened if you’re at Sbux) with just one pump of classic syrup and extra milk. Cheap, creamy and just a tad sweet! If you’re not afraid of soy, that gives it an extra creamy, vanilla flavor because it’s already sweetened.

86 Kim April 21, 2011 at 11:31 am

I read somewhere (of course I can’t link to it…) that Starbucks over roasts their coffee giving it that burnt flavor in order to have a “distinctive taste”. Just some food for thought.

87 Natalie April 21, 2011 at 11:39 am

I agree – try the regular old iced coffe and add some soy to it and maybe a raw sugar. This is my favorite from Starbucks!

88 Katherine: Unemployed April 21, 2011 at 12:49 pm

eat before. always.
Katherine: Unemployed recently posted..Morgan Weirich

89 Jess April 21, 2011 at 1:11 pm

I don’t work from home, and can’t remember the last time I touched a blow dryer/straightener/curling iron, my co-workers seem to be okay with that. Go natural!
Jess recently posted..Shredding

90 Lindsay April 21, 2011 at 2:19 pm

you mention consulting as your job……. what do you do?
i am curious about your life/work style and schedule that you seem to have so much free time! so jealous!