Snack Meal

by Meghann on April 19, 2011

I have a complicated relationship with snacks.

You see, I love incorporating them in my daily routine (afternoon snacks are ‘da bomb‘), but I hate snacking away meals. If dinner is running late and I’m getting ‘hangry‘ one of my biggest pet peeves is being offered a snack to tide me over. Usually at that point I don’t want a snack, I want a meal.

I get pretty snippy when I’m hungry. Ask Derek.

However, that doesn’t mean I don’t enjoy a meal totally of snacks. I just prefer them as the meal, instead of before the meal. Otherwise I end up snacking away dinner and that ain’t cool.

Today’s lunch is just one of those meals of snacks. A little tasting plate of all my favorites.

The sweet stuff: Carrot Sticks + Apple Slices & Honey Peanut Butter

The salty: Green Beans, Pretzel Rods (forgot the mustard!), Swiss Cheese, and a left over Corn Muffin (which was more sweet than salty actually)

So many pretty colors!

After lunch I escaped to a new coffee shop to get some work done. While this place has a great working atmosphere, the ice coffee is horrible. Blah. Not sure I’ll be returning here anytime soon.

1 Chad April 19, 2011 at 2:31 pm

See now that’ show it’s done – good post.
Chad recently posted..Recipe- Rum Apple Hummus

2 Katy (The Singing Runner) April 19, 2011 at 2:34 pm

Looks like a perfect lunch to me! 😉 All of your favorites!
Katy (The Singing Runner) recently posted..Chicago Marathon 2011 Training Reflection- Week 4

3 Freya April 19, 2011 at 2:34 pm

I actually love snack meals more than real meals – it’s nice to have so much to choose from! 🙂
Freya recently posted..Awesome Rawsome Gourmet Raw

4 Miranda @ Working Mom Works Out April 19, 2011 at 2:37 pm

Cute. I like snack meals, too.

5 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday April 19, 2011 at 2:37 pm

Maybe try something else at that coffee shop or ask them what their specialty is?

6 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife April 19, 2011 at 2:38 pm

I love “snack meals” !! It is the best way to satisfy every craving. I do it often, actually 🙂 I also enjoy an afternoon snack, though–b/c I need me my snack if the husband works late!!

7 Stacey (Being Stacey) April 19, 2011 at 2:39 pm

I adore meals like this, especially for lunches as I love lots of different flavours on the plate. Somehow it makes it feel like I’m eating more – weird!

8 Jenny @ Fitness Health and Food April 19, 2011 at 2:41 pm

I love snack meals!

and although I do like to snack I totally agree with not wanting to snack too much before meals, totally ruins the enjoyment! Good luck with your work!

9 Hope April 19, 2011 at 2:42 pm

I love snack meals. I never end up doing this though. I really should. It satisfies every craving that you have 🙂
Hope recently posted..I Am A Risotto Fan…

10 Nikki T April 19, 2011 at 2:43 pm

Love your lunch!
When my sister and I were little my Dad used to make us lunches (or sometimes dinners!) like this…they were his specialty and he called them “A Plate of Stuff” 🙂

11 Morgan @ Life After Bagels April 19, 2011 at 2:44 pm

That was totally my lunch yesterday, but crackers instead of pretzels!
Morgan @ Life After Bagels recently posted..Two Weeks Of Crunch Time

12 Alysa (InspiredRD) April 19, 2011 at 2:45 pm

Snack meals are my favorite! Especially for lunch. It’s fun to have a little bit of a lot of things on one plate to nibble on 🙂
Alysa (InspiredRD) recently posted..The Kids Cook Monday – A Look Back and a Few Tips

13 Jordan April 19, 2011 at 2:55 pm

Snack meals are my FAVORITE. Seriously, I think I could just snack about 95% of my life.
And I totally feel ya about getting snippy when you’re hungry. My boyfriend jokes about the fact that he needs to make sure to bring snacks with us whenever we run errands or are out for the day. I keep protein bars in my glove compartment 🙂
Jordan recently posted..Can we just talk about this

14 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat April 19, 2011 at 2:55 pm

Lovely snack plate!! I’m also a very snippy girl when I’m hungry, so I know what you mean! I love having a bunch of little things to choose from. And you’ve reminded me that it’s been FAR too long since I’ve eaten pretzel rods!
Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat recently posted..A Tofu Experiment

15 Holly @ The Runny Egg April 19, 2011 at 2:57 pm

I’m with you — if I have a snack I usually end up spoiling my whole dinner, so why not eat a bunch of snacks as your meal? Sounds good to me.
Holly @ The Runny Egg recently posted..Pizza Bread

16 Lucy @ The Sweet Touch April 19, 2011 at 3:00 pm

I’m a snack-a-holic – this meal is perfect for me! Except mine would probably include potato chips and some kind of cookie if I’m being honest;)
Lucy @ The Sweet Touch recently posted..St Louis Foodie Finds- Chavas Mexican Restaurant

17 Ashley April 19, 2011 at 3:03 pm

I get really grumpy when I’m hungry. Whenever I’m angry at my boyfriend he always just asks ‘are you hungry of something’ that doesn’t help with the anger haha.
Lunch looks great! I’m loving the colors.

18 jenna{frombostonwithlove} April 19, 2011 at 3:22 pm

Looks like a whole meal to me 🙂 And now I am hungry for a corn muffin…
jenna{frombostonwithlove} recently posted..Marathon Madness Recap

19 linz April 19, 2011 at 3:22 pm

I love a good meal made o’ snacks!
linz recently posted..Outfit of the week- Orange you glad

20 Tami April 19, 2011 at 3:26 pm

this is how i fed my kids most days…they call it s smorgasbord. they seem to eat better when i give them a little of everything, fruit, veggie, special snack, etc.

21 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey April 19, 2011 at 3:27 pm

I love snack plates – they are my favorite!
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..krista- a weight loss journey

22 katie April 19, 2011 at 3:34 pm

My favorite kind of meals are snack meals a lot of times! I like the different variety of options you can create!
katie recently posted..Strawberry Loving Oats and Dessert

23 Jamie aka "Sometimes Healthy" Girl April 19, 2011 at 3:43 pm

My entire day is generally a meal of snacks 🙂 Such a snacker. If I had to blog every snack I ate, I’d be blogging every 10 minutes! Bad ice coffee is definitely a reason not to go back to a coffee shop!
Jamie aka “Sometimes Healthy” Girl recently posted..Sleeping More than Ryan Reynolds…

24 Biz April 19, 2011 at 4:16 pm

My daughter and I love plates like that! I have been so stressed at work, I have’t been by in probably a week – hope all is well! 😀

25 Aimee April 19, 2011 at 4:38 pm

looks yummy, but i would be STARVING like two hours later. does a snacky lunch like that satiate you? i need more protein in my meals.

26 Alaina April 19, 2011 at 4:40 pm

I love snack plates! I had a snack plate for lunch today. 🙂
Alaina recently posted..Working My Way Back- 1369 Coffee House

27 Kiran @ KiranTarun.com April 19, 2011 at 4:44 pm

Perfect lunch to me, with beautiful colors. I agree with you about snacking. I get carried away snacking if I am hungry for a meal.
Kiran @ KiranTarun.com recently posted..Shutterfly’s “Share your Spring Celebration Announcement” and Giveaway

28 Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather April 19, 2011 at 4:51 pm

Snack meals are just plain fun to eat!

29 River April 19, 2011 at 4:52 pm

I usually do ‘snack’ meals in the weekend to use up the rest of the food in the house before grocery shopping!
River recently posted..Breaking Out

30 Amy April 19, 2011 at 4:57 pm

Those pretzels get me every time. Yum.
Amy recently posted..Mini Goals &amp 3 things…

31 Kate (What Kate is Cooking) April 19, 2011 at 5:44 pm

I love a lot of variety, so my meals almost always have several components 🙂
Kate (What Kate is Cooking) recently posted..Modesto Half Marathon Recap

32 Lisa (bakebikeblog) April 19, 2011 at 6:00 pm

I know what you mean – I dont like snacking my meals away – but if it is a snack plate FOR a meal …well I love that!
Lisa (bakebikeblog) recently posted..Biking … fail

33 Liz April 19, 2011 at 7:21 pm

Sometimes snack meals are great because I love the variety; but sometimes I feel so dissatisfied because it didn’t feel like an actual meal.
Liz recently posted..Getting Off Track

34 Kaitlyn @ 7 Plates April 19, 2011 at 7:36 pm

Glad I’m not the only one who eats snacks for meals.. Looks delicious 🙂
Kaitlyn @ 7 Plates recently posted..Back to Blogging

35 Mac April 19, 2011 at 9:01 pm

The coffee shop on campus where I work has awful iced coffee too! How do you have bad iced coffee?
Mac recently posted..NO Part II- Mardi Gras World

36 Cara April 20, 2011 at 7:13 am

I love snack plates! That looks like the perfect lunch for me!

37 Sarah K April 20, 2011 at 6:20 pm

I agree, about not eating snacks when you want a meal, it’s just not the same. But your lunch looks yummy
Sarah K recently posted..Have You Ever Noticed

38 Sarah April 20, 2011 at 8:53 pm

I usually make a snack plate when I cant make up my mind on what I want! They are necessary sometimes
Sarah recently posted..beat