Maddie the Runner

by Meghann on April 19, 2011

It’s Maddie, the Super Dog!

Don’t let her current laid back attitude fool you, I promise she’s super. πŸ˜‰

Maddie was the one leading me on our run this morning. We went for our usual 3 miler and she was so excited when she realized we were going to run that she couldn’t stand waiting a few minutes for my Garmin to get satellite. She began jumping up and down repeatedly, leaving little doggie foot prints on my leg. The same thing happened when I had her pause to cross the street. She wanted to keep moving!

She was killing it this morning to. We finished 3 miles in 26:53 (and that was with me holding her back). One day I’ll find a doggie 5k for her to race in. Something tells me she’ll put all of the big dogs to shame.

Sleep up kid. You earned it.

After our run I made a very spring inspired bowl of cereal.

I love all the blue. It reminds me of Easter. πŸ™‚

In the bowl:

• 1/2 cup Peanut Butter & Chocolate Puffins
  • 1/2 cup Multigrain Cheerios
  • 1/4 cup Uncle Sam Strawberry
  • Oikos Superfruit Yogurt
  • Strawberries

Hard to believe Easter is this weekend. I signed Derek and I up for a vegetable dish. Anyone have any good suggestions? I’m thinking something light since most of the dishes will be pretty heavy. The salad is already covered, so I can’t take that route. hmmm…..

1 Jessica April 19, 2011 at 9:08 am

That’s Jackson’s favorite spot too! πŸ™‚
Jessica recently posted..How To Get Work… Before You Work

2 Mindy @ just a one girl revolution. April 19, 2011 at 9:10 am

I’m doing a vegetable too – I’d love to hear what you decide on because I’m at a loss!
Mindy @ just a one girl revolution. recently posted..soul surfer

3 Cassie @ Tofu Meets Her Match April 19, 2011 at 9:11 am

I can’t believe her little legs can run that fast! It must be so fun to run with her.
Cassie @ Tofu Meets Her Match recently posted..Staying Positive Through an Injury

4 Anna @ Doing Good & Living Well April 19, 2011 at 9:12 am

I miss Easter with family! Hubs and I will be celebrating together and I will be eating as much cheese as possible (since I gave it up for Lent).
Anna @ Doing Good & Living Well recently posted..Enjoying Marathon Monday

5 Meghann April 19, 2011 at 10:28 am

When I was in college there were a few Easters I wasn’t able to make it home and my roommates and I would have our own Easter dinner. Those were probably some of my favorite Easters. πŸ™‚

6 Jenny @ Fitness Health and Food April 19, 2011 at 9:15 am

awwww Maddie! What a cutie and it’s so great that you take her running πŸ™‚

I take my pup Mosely with me when I go on 3-4 mile runs and he acts the same way, he simply cannot contain his excitement even when we get out the door and sprints for the first full mile! I have to do my best to keep up!

have a great day πŸ™‚

7 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat April 19, 2011 at 9:15 am

Hmm.. what about a salad with grains in it? I’ve been experimenting with lots lately and one of my faves was the Pineapple Quinoa salad from a couple of weeks ago (http://bit.ly/heVPi1) It’s kind of colourful and Easter-like too! πŸ™‚
Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat recently posted..A Tofu Experiment

8 Brittney April 19, 2011 at 9:15 am

Ok, please have someone take pictures of you guys running together! I want to see it! Clyde is a runner too, but my problem running with him is that he’s all over the place and I’m afraid he’ll turn around, cut in front of me, or whatever and it will end badly. I usually just take him for a walk and kind of jog a little when he seems like he wants to run, but don’t go full on.

9 Meghann April 19, 2011 at 10:31 am

There’s a photo at the end of this post http://mealsandmiles.com/2010/09/25/miracle-miles-2010/ I think next time I take her out I’m bringing the flip cam πŸ™‚

10 Brittney April 19, 2011 at 10:54 am

Ah, that’s great! Love it πŸ™‚

11 Freya April 19, 2011 at 9:15 am

Haha, we have a Jack Russell and she has endless energy! She’s been on some 3milers with me and it’s crazy how fast they can go without ever getting tired! I wish I had that!!
Freya recently posted..Awesome Rawsome Gourmet Raw

12 Meghann April 19, 2011 at 10:32 am

I know! She’s a speed demon and could easily keep going if I let her

13 Kaitlin April 19, 2011 at 9:16 am

Wow, Maddie is a great running buddy! I always thought the best runners were big dogs, but obviously not!
Kaitlin recently posted..16 Mile Weekend

14 Amanda April 19, 2011 at 9:18 am

I love that you run with Maddie!! I have a small dog (westie) and I’ve been taking him out for about 1/4 mile and he seems to enjoy it. He’s older (10 yrs) so I worry that maybe its not good for him? Any thoughts?
Amanda recently posted..131 NYC in Pictures

15 Meghann April 19, 2011 at 10:34 am

If he enjoys it – and it’s only 1/4 mile – then I say it’s great to give him some exercise. But I’m not a vet and know nothing πŸ™‚

16 Holly @ The Runny Egg April 19, 2011 at 9:22 am

My job is to bring crescent rolls! Good luck with the veggie dish. Green bean casserole is my favorite, but I’m guessing you want something healthier perhaps? πŸ™‚

Maddie is super speedy!
Holly @ The Runny Egg recently posted..Pizza Bread

17 Meghann April 19, 2011 at 10:34 am

Plus someone already signed up for green bean casserole πŸ™‚

18 Kristen @ SEO Runner April 19, 2011 at 9:22 am

Love your running partner.

A dog isn’t in the cards for me anytime soon, but I often wish I knew someone close who’s dog I could “borrow” for runs.

Awesome time lady!
Kristen @ SEO Runner recently posted..Music Monday! TaTu and Lily Allen

19 Carolyn @ Lovin' Losing April 19, 2011 at 9:23 am

I recently made a “salad” with tomatoes, cucumbers, and chickpeas tossed with olive oil and smoked sea salt. SO GOOD! Light and delicious.
Carolyn @ Lovin’ Losing recently posted..Day Swap

20 Kristen @ SEO Runner April 19, 2011 at 9:31 am

That sounds divine!

Or a caprice type salad – though you did say salad was covered, there are all sorts of options.

Bruschetta or Gazpacho are always a good, fresh options.
Kristen @ SEO Runner recently posted..Music Monday! TaTu and Lily Allen

21 emily April 19, 2011 at 9:27 am

What about some kind of three bean salad? Or a waldorf salad.
emily recently posted..Confessions Post

22 Meghann April 19, 2011 at 10:35 am

I’m thinking a bean based salad too. Or cold roasted veggies?

23 Miranda @ Working Mom Works Out April 19, 2011 at 9:28 am

At what age did Maddie start running with you? I’ve got 3 dogs – one is lazy, one is a nervous wreck, and one is only 6 months old. I’d like for one of them to run with us.
Miranda @ Working Mom Works Out recently posted..Long Time No Sleep

24 Meghann April 19, 2011 at 10:36 am

she was over a year when I first took her for a run. She’ll be in 2 on Sunday!

25 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday April 19, 2011 at 9:29 am

My dog likes running too but she can’t always keep up. I only really take her for runs when I don’t mind taking it slow.

26 Meghann April 19, 2011 at 10:37 am

I have the opposite problem. My goal is to keep up with Maddie.

27 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday April 19, 2011 at 10:39 am

Not surprising since Jack Russells are so so energetic!

28 Michelle April 19, 2011 at 9:30 am

When I’m at my brother’s house I’ll take his husky out running with me. He gets so impatient when I boot up my iPod. He taps his front paws on the floor like “Let’s go!!!”

29 Hats @ See How She Runs April 19, 2011 at 9:36 am

Oh, she’s adorable! Maybe I should take my cats for a jog? Haha.
Hats @ See How She Runs recently posted..Running Belsize Park

30 Fit Chick Britt April 19, 2011 at 9:38 am

Way to go Maddie. I need a dog to run with! What kind of dog is Maddie?

31 Meghann April 19, 2011 at 10:38 am

Jack Russell Terrier

32 Emily G. April 19, 2011 at 9:49 am

I’m not sure how expensive asparagus is in Florida, but I LOVE asparagus wrapped in a puff pastry or phyllo. Or green beans and almonds (!!).

OR..and this is DELICIOUS!..get a can (or fresh) of green beans (can’t think of the name, but they’re not french and they’re not the cut ones)..anyway. Get a about 5 green beans, sprinkle with salt and pepper, wrap in bacon (regular or turkey..and cut each piece of bacon in to about 3 pieces), and sprinkle with a little brown sugar. Bake in the oven at 350 until the bacon is done. It’s soo good!

33 Courtney @ The Granola Chronicles April 19, 2011 at 9:51 am

You could roast various vegetables and drizzle a balsamic reduction or lemony vinaigrette over them. Roasted asparagus with a little parmesan cheese is always good too!

34 Juli D. April 19, 2011 at 10:00 am

I had early Easter w/the fam last weekend and made this:

Everyone seemed to enjoy!
Juli D. recently posted..You Know the Old Saying

35 Michelle April 19, 2011 at 10:01 am

Hmmm…sometime wish I could put my 4 y/o on a leash and have him run with me! Get some of that energy out πŸ™‚

As for veggies — roasted asparagus — or maybe some brussel sprouts? Those scream “Easter” to me for some reason! Looks like corn-on-the-cob is in season too these days — you could steam it or grill it.
Michelle recently posted..My Thoughts on Being a New Runner

36 faith @ lovelyascharged April 19, 2011 at 10:05 am

I wish Haley was that enthusiastic about running! I’m lucky if I can get her to go one mile!
faith @ lovelyascharged recently posted..Gnocchi and Brussels Sprouts with Lemon Butter

37 Tara @ trulysimplebits April 19, 2011 at 10:10 am

We have a 7 month old puppy that looks almost exactly like Maddie (with a little less white). He loves to run when I bring him to the beach or a park but I haven’t gone for a run with him yet. I think I might try it today for the first time! Out the door I go… Thanks for posting πŸ™‚
Tara @ trulysimplebits recently posted..The Garden Is in!

38 daisy April 19, 2011 at 10:10 am
39 Lucy @ The Sweet Touch April 19, 2011 at 10:13 am

Hmmmm, that’s tough, would it be the lazy way out to cut up a bunch of yummy veggies and make a couple different dips (hummus, bean, etc) to pair with them?

I think everyone love a good veggie tray!
Lucy @ The Sweet Touch recently posted..St Louis Foodie Finds- Chavas Mexican Restaurant

40 Diane Shay April 19, 2011 at 10:20 am

Vegetarian sushi rolls are always a crowd pleaser and so easy to make. Don’t have the recipe in front of me but go to the Food Network website and they are Ina Garten’s recipe. Killer yummy, a snap to make and a show-stopper.

41 Kara April 19, 2011 at 10:21 am

My dog used to be the same way about speedy runs. Once she hit 2.5 years, she decided she prefers a more leisurely pace πŸ™‚

You should do a massaged kale salad for Easter, I bet a lot of people have never tried it and would love a chance to try it out without committing to buying a whole bag of kale. πŸ™‚
Kara recently posted..Marathon Monday

42 Shannon April 19, 2011 at 10:26 am

I wish my dog would accompany me on runs. She just gets distracted by squirrels ans other dogs
Shannon recently posted..Insanity Day 2

43 Meghann April 19, 2011 at 2:33 pm

It’s crazy how un-distracted Maddie is. Squirrels, other dogs, and people do not faze her one bit when she’s running

44 Beth @ DiningAndDishing April 19, 2011 at 10:37 am

How about a chilled soup? Great way to get veggies and chilled soup screams warm weather to me :). Plus they always look so fancy!
Beth @ DiningAndDishing recently posted..Lazy Morning

45 Jen @ keepitsimplefoods April 19, 2011 at 10:55 am

Those look like cocoa pebbles. My favorite guilty cereal… πŸ˜‰

46 Sarah for Real April 19, 2011 at 11:07 am

I did vegetables for Easter last year! I made a cold asparagus dish where you blanch (and cool!) the asparagus then dress it with an amazing, light but creamy, lemon-y vinaigrette. It was the perfect add-on to an otherwise heavy meal. I can email you the recipe if you’re interested! It’s super easy and can be made all ahead of time.

47 Meghann April 19, 2011 at 2:36 pm

Actually, that sounds great! e-mail to mealsandmiles@gmail.com

48 Lauren @ Sweet and Twisted April 21, 2011 at 2:43 pm

Oh if you get a chance could you e-mail that to me? lauren.m.schwartz@gmail.com I was looking at making something similar but you roast the asparagus and can serve it warm or room temperature.
Lauren @ Sweet and Twisted recently posted..Sweltering Spring Day

49 Fallon April 19, 2011 at 11:26 am

Roasted asparagus is a great veggie dish! Add some roasted grape tomatoes too. Delicious with ham or/and lamb.
Fallon recently posted..Big Ouch!

50 Laurie April 19, 2011 at 11:33 am

Aww, sweet Maddie! What a great runner she is! I took my doxie for a jog/walk on Sunday but his short little legs couldn’t get up, he was fine at the beginning, but he slowed down alot! I think I over did it with him, because he was kinda limping. I felt so bad! I will take it easy with him next time! Of course he is a little bit overweigh, so that may have something to to with it! Not sure if you would considered a potato a vegetable or not, but we like Hashbrown casserole, maybe make a ‘healthly’ version of it? It’s really good with ham!

51 Reenie April 19, 2011 at 11:33 am

I can’t believe that lil tiny girl runs…….so cute. πŸ™‚

I say roasted veggies.

52 Sarah April 19, 2011 at 11:35 am

My dog loves to run too, but after about 1.5/2 miles he turns into an anchor.
I was at a Passover dinner last night and some had made a carrot suflay, it was light and fluffy. It was really good but I don’t have the recipe.

53 Hilary April 19, 2011 at 11:40 am

Yay Easter! What about a sweet potato dish…or maybe some green beans, roasted perhaps? I”ve also tried a really good recipe from Martha Stewart….Neapolitan green beans…you cook them in a tomato mixture with lots of garlic…YUMMY!
Hilary recently posted..Mexican and Mango

54 RhodeyGirl April 19, 2011 at 11:46 am

How about some nice and simple roasted asparagus?

55 Ali @ Ali Runs April 19, 2011 at 12:01 pm

I love running with my dog. It is so much more entertaining than running alone. πŸ™‚

56 Reenie April 19, 2011 at 12:53 pm

This looks really good ~

Spinach Cheese Casserole

57 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey April 19, 2011 at 12:59 pm

I have a vegetable dish too – I don’t know what I’m going to bring, but I’m thinking something roasted in a dijon glaze.
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..krista- a weight loss journey

58 Jamie aka "Sometimes Healthy" Girl April 19, 2011 at 1:06 pm

Awww what a cute little thing. I never used to be able to run with my dog because he swerved too much!

Love the cereal combo. I need to consider those puffins. They sound delish. For veggie dishes, what about spaghetti squash? I’m on a spaghetti squash kick πŸ™‚

59 Mary April 19, 2011 at 1:07 pm

Maddie is a speedy girl!

My chocolate lab has endless energy like that too, I could let him run around outside for hours and he is still no boundaries and all over the place when he gets inside!

How about some roasted potatoes or some steamed asparagus? You’re creative meghann, I know you’ll come up with something that everyone will love! πŸ™‚
Mary recently posted..Unproductive

60 Jamie@everydaydolce April 19, 2011 at 1:08 pm

Having a pup to run with makes such a difference sometimes! I love running with my dog, I’m impressed Maddie can knock out 3 miles πŸ™‚
Roasted brussels with a savory dressing over them maybe? Good luck, Easter food isn’t as easy as Thanksgiving or Christmas.

61 Kaitlyn @ 7 Plates April 19, 2011 at 1:25 pm

Love all the colors.. So matchy matchy! I need some prettier place mats πŸ™‚
Kaitlyn @ 7 Plates recently posted..Back to Blogging

62 Rachel April 19, 2011 at 1:34 pm

She is speedy! My little welsh corgi could never keep up!

How is the condo decorating coming along? We haven’t seen any updates lately!

63 Meghann April 19, 2011 at 2:41 pm

We’re stalled with money and time! I’m still looking for something to go above the couch and almost bought a print set from Ikea to tide us over. I think I’ve run out of creative juice in the living room for the time being. There’s so much I know I want but I don’t have the funds to buy the good stuff nor the time to hunt down the bargains. πŸ™‚

On another note, Derek is picking up the desk from Ikea tonight. That should get some creativity flowing in the second bedroom!

64 Stacey (The Home-Cooked Vegan) April 19, 2011 at 1:36 pm

I wish my dog had the energy to run! She’s an old one though πŸ˜‰ At least she still enjoys her walks!

Hmmm, a veggie dish….. there’s too many to choose from!!
Stacey (The Home-Cooked Vegan) recently posted..Bad Student Gone Good

65 Emily @ Savory and Savage April 19, 2011 at 1:53 pm

I have tried running with my dogs but unless I use a waist/belt leash holder so my hands are free – I find I end up favoring one side.

Green beans with almonds is my standby dish to bring to dinner parties.
Emily @ Savory and Savage recently posted..Chicken salad with coconut and apples

66 Meghann April 19, 2011 at 2:42 pm

Maddie is so tiny, that holding the leash doesn’t bother me.

67 Katy (The Singing Runner) April 19, 2011 at 2:01 pm

I can’t get over how cute Maddie is! πŸ˜€

As for a veggie dish… how about roasted veggies with some sort of sauce?
Katy (The Singing Runner) recently posted..Chicago Marathon 2011 Training Reflection- Week 4

68 jenna{frombostonwithlove} April 19, 2011 at 2:05 pm

I wish I could actually run with my dog, but unfortunately she is too distracted by people, smells, and birds. Maddie sounds like the perfect running buddy and a cute one at that!
jenna{frombostonwithlove} recently posted..Marathon Madness Recap

69 kate April 19, 2011 at 2:07 pm

Asparagus always comes to mind for me when I think of Easter and veg! Cant wait to see what you come up with.

70 natalie (the sweets life) April 19, 2011 at 2:10 pm

http://www.thesweetslife.com/2011/04/raisin-and-pine-nut-asparagus.html this asparagus is AMAZING! Seriously we can’t get enough of it lately!

Or, I made this for Christmas to serve a crowd and everyone loved it! http://www.thesweetslife.com/2011/01/vegetable-tian.html
natalie (the sweets life) recently posted..Oatmeal Raisin Bars

71 Meghann April 19, 2011 at 2:43 pm

Thanks Natalie!

72 Sarah April 19, 2011 at 2:28 pm

Whenever I graduate I’m totally getting a dog that will run with me. Maddie is sooo cute.

I love your bowls too! Target? I think I saw them there a while back. They always have the best stuff.
Sarah recently posted..Live and Learn

73 Meghann April 19, 2011 at 2:44 pm

Ikea! Place mat is ikea too!

74 bonnie April 19, 2011 at 2:31 pm

i ran my first 5k ever with my puggle! love runs with my pup

75 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife April 19, 2011 at 2:40 pm

Veggie side dish could be asparagus? Or a green bean thing (since it seems you’ve been loving those??) I love good fast runs outside too, btw πŸ™‚

76 Meghann April 19, 2011 at 2:45 pm

I’ve been loving green beans because they’re so cheap right now! Less than a dollar for a huge bag? Can’t beat that! Unfortunately someone has already volunteered to bring a green bean casserole.

77 erica April 19, 2011 at 4:32 pm

maddie is so cute! i wish my dog would go on runs..errrr….jogs w/me. he’s so little i think he poops out after a 2mile stroll.
erica recently posted..anticipation

78 Karolina April 19, 2011 at 5:48 pm

Very cute! My dog was lazy and I could hardly get her to go one a mile walk- nice for snuggling, not nice for working out!
Karolina recently posted..Thankfulness Project Monday

79 Cynthia Crowsen April 19, 2011 at 8:51 pm

I say roast asparagus with radishes and mushrooms (or other veggie of your choice) in balsamic, garlic and olive oil. So divine and light.

Congrats to Maddie on her run. Puppies with lots of energy always make me want to run more.

80 Caroline April 19, 2011 at 9:09 pm

I would love to see a post (or maybe you did one and I missed it?) about how you trained Maddie to run with you! I have a little beagle that I am trying to take out more, but I’m so afraid of her getting too hot/dehydrated/tired/etc. Did you and Maddie start with run/walk intervals? Does she run next to you, or in front? So many things for a concerned mommy to consider πŸ™‚

81 Laura April 19, 2011 at 9:48 pm

Have you thought about running farther with her? My sister’s yorkie likes going on 7-8 mile runs with me!