Morning at the Gym

by Meghann on April 18, 2011

Happy Marathon Monday!

And Happy Tax Day!

I prefer to lean on celebrating Marathon Monday over tax day, it distracts me from the $$$ the government is currently withdrawing from my bank account. 😉

Who else is following the #BostonMarathon hashtag on twitter? I’m obsessed so far! 🙂

The alarm was set early today. Not to run, but to take advantage of day 2 of my 3 day guest pass at the local YMCA.

My sister has inspired me lately to lift more weights at the gym. I’ve already ordered her recommended ‘The New Rules of Lifting for Women’ from Amazon and can’t wait to sink my teeth into it. Until then I’m still a little scattered brain in that department. Despite a history of personal training sessions and friends’ help, I seem to be as forgetful as they come with lifting weights. I’m trying though.

I did a few basic reps with arm curls, hammer curls, chest flys, etc. Then moved on to squats, lunges, and calf raises.

After 45 minutes of weights, I took the 8:15 spin class.

The instructor is training for her first full ironman and half the class was sporting Tampa Tri Team apparel. I wanted to ask a zillion questions about training and other information, but I decided to sit back for my first class. It did get me excited for future classes though.

A BIG smoothie in a bowl was a nice cool down to the sweaty class.

It was chocolate inspired. 🙂

In the blender:

• Strawberries
  • Chocolate Oikos
  • Chocolate Protein Powder
  • Ice
  • Honey Peanut Butter
  • Chia Seeds

On top:

• Peanut Butter Chips
  • Pumpkin Granola

This was one of my favorite smoothie mixes yet. I think it was the abundance of chocolate and peanut butter that won me over.

The weekend is over and another workweek has begun.

Try not to work too hard everyone!

1 Jenny @ Fitness Health and Food April 18, 2011 at 10:37 am

good idea to start lifting more it will do wonders for your tri training.

I can’t wait to get that book also! if you ever need any workout ideas check out my site 🙂

2 Hats @ See How She Runs April 18, 2011 at 10:41 am

I finished TNROFRW when I was on the train yesterday – it’s really interesting and now I can’t wait to get started. 😀 I mentioned this on Twitter a few times, but I definitely think we should start a virtual strength training club hehe.
Hats @ See How She Runs recently posted..I am awesome and I look like a Goddess

3 Meghann April 19, 2011 at 9:18 am

I like the idea of a virtual training club. I wish I had an in-person training club too!

4 Emma (Sweet Tooth Runner) April 18, 2011 at 10:38 am

That smoothie looks AMAZING!! As anything with an abundance of PB and chocolate would! 😉

And I’ve ordered that book too after seeing it on Kelly’s site!! Can’t wait to get more into strength training! 😀
Emma (Sweet Tooth Runner) recently posted..Do&8217s and Don&8217ts of Racing

5 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday April 18, 2011 at 10:40 am

I like the idea behind NRoL for Women because it discusses lifting heavy weights. Women don’t have the testosterone to get big and bulky by lifting heavy weights so there’s nothing to worry about there.

Lifting heavy is great for increasing metabolism, strength, and even confidence.

6 jen @ taste life April 18, 2011 at 10:42 am

Mmm, that smoothie sounds amazing!
jen @ taste life recently posted..Packin’ It

7 Dori April 18, 2011 at 10:42 am

The gym sounds great! LOVE peanut butter chips!!!
Dori recently posted..Find Me on Wendy Williams TODAY April 12

8 Katie @ Nourishing Flourishing April 18, 2011 at 10:42 am

Yay! I love weight lifting; it is such an empowering thing to look and feel so strong! 😀
Katie @ Nourishing Flourishing recently posted..Vegan Gluten-Free Dough Balls- Cinnamon Raisin Coconut Chocolate Chip

9 Katie @ running4cupcakes April 18, 2011 at 10:43 am

I’m excited to hear what you think about the new rules of lifting for women – it is on my wish list at Amazon. Let me know!
Katie @ running4cupcakes recently posted..New Theme- Tapestry

10 Meghann April 19, 2011 at 9:19 am

I will! I’m really excited for it to arrive and see what it’s all about.

11 Shannon April 18, 2011 at 10:48 am

Smoothie bowl looks yummy! I always ask people training for anything a zillion questions!
Shannon recently posted..Insanity Day 2

12 Ellie @ The Mommyist April 18, 2011 at 10:53 am

Chocolate smoothie bowl? Yum!
Ellie @ The Mommyist recently posted..Spring Cleaning

13 Ashley April 18, 2011 at 10:54 am

That smoothie makes me drool. Have a great day!

14 Hilary April 18, 2011 at 10:58 am

Wow…that is a SERIOUS workout and a SERIOUS breakfast! PB chips…how indulgent! Looks yummy though!
Hilary recently posted..Healthy and Hands-free

15 Holly @ The Runny Egg April 18, 2011 at 11:04 am

That smoothie looks delicious. I’ve heard great things about the New Rules books, I hope it helps you out!
Holly @ The Runny Egg recently posted..Pizza Bread

16 J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) April 18, 2011 at 11:25 am

That SIAB looks divine!
J3nn (Jenn’s Menu and Lifestyle Blog) recently posted..A Dozen Savory Muffins

17 miranda @ working mom works out April 18, 2011 at 11:32 am

I hope you like the YMCA. We love ours.

That smoothie looks super, too!

18 Lucy @ The Sweet Touch April 18, 2011 at 11:45 am

Now that you are working from home, the question is, will you give yourself Good Friday as a day off? 😉

If so, hope you are enjoying your four day work week!
Lucy @ The Sweet Touch recently posted..St Louis Foodie Finds- Chavas Mexican Restaurant

19 Meghann April 19, 2011 at 9:19 am

haha – I don’t even get weekends off!

20 Sarah April 18, 2011 at 11:56 am

Props to you for a workout first thing on a Monday morning!

Happy Marathon Monday!
Sarah recently posted..Live and Learn

21 Kacy April 18, 2011 at 12:06 pm

I’m definitely scatterbrained when it comes to lifting weights. It’s just not something I enjoy doing.

22 Erin April 18, 2011 at 12:15 pm

I think you’ll really like NROLW. I’m just about to finish Stage 1 and although I’ve only been doing one or two workouts a week and completely ignoring the menu plan I’ve noticed some nice muscle gains. Just a warning: they are kind of downers on distance running and there are a lot of squats.
Erin recently posted..Weekly Workout Wround Up

23 Meghann April 19, 2011 at 9:21 am

Kelly warned me that there’s a whole chapter called ‘Step Away from the Treadmill’ but I think their whole approach is you don’t have to run a lot to stay fit – it’s all about well rounded workouts that include cardio and strength training, which is what I want to move towards.

24 Hats @ See How She Runs April 19, 2011 at 9:43 am

Haha I LOVE squats (and lunges – yes, I am weird). I can’t wait to get started on this – I’m on holiday next week so it’ll have to wait a while 🙁
Hats @ See How She Runs recently posted..Running Belsize Park

25 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife April 18, 2011 at 12:16 pm

Okay your smoothie bowl looks to-die-FOR!!! Wow, I am so going to recreat this–but with butterscotch chips and almond butter. Yumm. P.s I am training for a half ironman too….just don’t which one yet 😉

26 Meghann April 19, 2011 at 9:22 am

You should run Augustus! Everyone is always raving about it, which is why I picked it for my first! It’s suppose to be a beautiful course with a great swim.

27 Katie @ cooklaughmove April 18, 2011 at 12:19 pm

I was following the Boston Marathon at work and going NUTS! So pumped for Michigan Girl Desi!
Katie @ cooklaughmove recently posted..April 17- 2011 @ 7-08 am

28 Jamie@everydaydolce April 18, 2011 at 1:16 pm

Yum, peanut butter chips on your smoothie…that looks tasty 🙂
I loved working out at the YMCA when I was in college…the one I went to was super friendly and always very clean and easy to navigate!

29 faith @ lovelyascharged April 18, 2011 at 1:40 pm

I’m terible at strength training too. I never know what to do with free weights or most of the machines, so I avoid them for fear of looking stupid. Books and magazines don’t help me much either because I need to see how the exercises go. Do let us know if you pick up any good tips from the book!

30 Amy April 18, 2011 at 1:41 pm

Ah your smoothie looks soooo good!
Amy recently posted..3 things I should NOT have done today…

31 Stacey (Being Stacey) April 18, 2011 at 1:47 pm

Mmmm, I can just imagine sinking my teeth into that yummy smoothie after a hot workout. It must have been heaven!

32 Christine @ Burning It Off April 18, 2011 at 2:04 pm

I’m also kind of clueless when it comes to designing an effective strength training program… I find classes really helpful for that purpose because I can just watch what the instructors do and rely on their expertise to get a good strength workout. Does your gym offer any weight lifting classes?
Christine @ Burning It Off recently posted..New Release Week at GoodLife

33 Meghann April 19, 2011 at 9:24 am

They do, but I want to try free heavy weights on my own. I’m all for the body pump classes but they’re high repetition, low weight. I want to see if I can build some real muscle with heavy weights, which is what the book preaches.

34 Hats @ See How She Runs April 19, 2011 at 9:45 am

Yeah, that’s part of the reason I want to do NROLFW – I love, love, LOVE BodyPump and get such a kick when I can increase my weights, but I really want to try heavy weights lifting too.
Hats @ See How She Runs recently posted..Running Belsize Park

35 Christine @ Burning It Off April 19, 2011 at 10:28 am

Cool… I look forward to reading about your progress. Maybe it’ll motivate me to get over my aversion to free weights and get in a non-pump strength workout one of these days! 😛
Christine @ Burning It Off recently posted..New Release Week at GoodLife

36 Kiran @ KiranTarun.com April 18, 2011 at 7:32 pm

Chocolate smoothie bowl?? Sign me up!
Kiran @ KiranTarun.com recently posted..Shutterfly’s “Share your Spring Celebration Announcement” and Giveaway