Errands

by Meghann on April 17, 2011

Baby Shower Gift? Check!

That was easy. Drove to Babies R Us. Picked from the registry. Done.

Best Buy? Check!

This was all Derek. He found exactly what he wanted and *bonus* was super excited that he learned something new in the process. I patiently drooled over the iPad 2 while waiting.

Grocery Shopping? Check!

My favorite part of the weekend. Obviously.

Find a desk? Eh.

Shopping for furniture leaves me feeling like this.

And wanting to do this.

Priorities have shifted for the second bedroom/ office. Starting in May Derek will be working from home part time, so we need to set the office up ASAP. I’ve been dragging my feet on the desk because, honestly, I don’t like any desks out there. I like simple desks, but simple desks don’t seem to exists. At least not on Craigslist, man there are some unfortunate looking desks out there!

We started our hunt at Target then Office Depot, Staples, and Wal-Mart.

We took a break for lunch mid-day at a fun Yelp find.

If you don’t have the Yelp app on your phone, you’re crazy. It’s my new best friend when finding fun, new places to try in Tampa. Square One Burger was highly rated on Yelp and only a mile from our current location. Score!

IMG_5971.jpg

Psst…. Does my outfit look familiar twitter friends? 😉

There was a bit of a wait for table during the lunch rush, so we sat at the bar instead.

And I got that drink I needed – the Sam Adams seasonal brew on tap.

IMG_5961.jpg

Square One Burger had a really fun, creative burger and sandwich menu. They had just about every combination you can think and if they don’t have it there’s always the option to build your own.

Usually in these situations I’m always about building my own, but I thought this time around I would give one of the pre-imaginated creations a try.

Tuna Burger on a whole wheat bun with sweet potato fries.

Personally I thought they were a little stingy on the sweet potato fries. They weren’t anything special either, but I liked having the option.

The Tuna burger was good, but MESSY.

Next time I would ask for the Wasabi sauce on the side and ask them to kick up the heat a bit.

After lunch we headed to the mecca.

Caffeine was needed for this adventure. Iced Skinny Vanilla Latte from The Bricks in Ybor.

IMG_5983.jpg

Ikea was our last resort.

Not because I don’t love Ikea (I LOVE Ikea!), but because it was a Sunday afternoon and I know how crazy and time consuming Ikea can be. Luckily, since we were on a mission, it wasn’t as bad as I assumed.

We headed straight to office area and found the desk I had secretly been coveting online.

I fell in love with it in person, just as I fell in love with it online. I wasn’t sure how Derek would feel (he seems to be more traditional than me when it comes to furniture), but he loved it too. We were both sold and ready to buy!…. until we realized it wouldn’t fit in our car.

grrr…

The important thing was we found a desk and that it wasn’t going anywhere. We already made a date with Derek’s family minivan to pick it up during the week. Yay!!

We headed home desk-less, but were happy to have crossed everything else off on our list for the day.

We celebrated our accomplished day with an afternoon marathon of Army Wives and build your own tostadas.

I placed a few tortillas under they broiler until they were a crispy and set up a toppings bar of refried beans, fresh veggies, and cheese for Derek and I to choose from.

I went with refried beans, spinach, corn, tomatoes, olives, cucumber, feta, and salsa on mine.

With a side a green beans.

The last of a chocolate bar for dessert.

I’m off to enjoy the rest of my Sunday.

Good Night!!

1 Courtney @ the granola chronicles April 17, 2011 at 8:56 pm

I love that desk, Meghann! Enjoy the rest of your Sunday night! 🙂
Courtney @ the granola chronicles recently posted..A Tradition Unlike Any Other

2 Stacy @ Every Little Thing April 17, 2011 at 8:56 pm

Busy day! Glad you got all your errands done. I <3 that desk too! Gah I miss Ikea.
Stacy @ Every Little Thing recently posted..Super Easy Ricotta Gnocchi

3 Mimi April 17, 2011 at 8:59 pm

Those tostadas are such a good idea! Some people go all out for Sunday night meals, but I like simplicity!
Mimi recently posted..This makes a whole marathon- right

4 Kaitlin April 17, 2011 at 8:59 pm

glad you found a desk! And your new shirt looks cute!!
Kaitlin recently posted..16 Mile Weekend

5 Alison April 17, 2011 at 9:04 pm

Yay for a desk that is attached to the Expedit! I don’t love all IKEA furniture, but the Expedit bookshelf is by far one of the best pieces I have ever bought. It is HEAVY, but VERY sturdy, very functional, and looks fantastic. I never noticed the version with the desk, but that looks super cute. You’re going to have so much fun loading it up with goodies!
Alison recently posted..Busy

6 Fit Chick Britt April 17, 2011 at 9:06 pm

I love that desk. Sounds like a busy but productive day.
Fit Chick Britt recently posted..My Running Story

7 Holly @ The Runny Egg April 17, 2011 at 9:10 pm

I love Ikea — but I hate going there on weekends because it is so busy! I’m glad you found something that you like!

That tuna burger looks delicious!
Holly @ The Runny Egg recently posted..Pizza Bread

8 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife April 17, 2011 at 9:11 pm

LOVE the desk idea!!! Love Ikea 🙂 And those fries look awesome!

9 Kelly @ Laughter, Strength, and Food April 17, 2011 at 9:14 pm

The desk is an awesome choice! I’m pretty sure I could buy everything in IKEA. I try to stay away!
Kelly @ Laughter, Strength, and Food recently posted..Smoothie Sunday

10 Alaina April 17, 2011 at 9:18 pm

I love Ikea too but only on the weekdays. 🙂 Like the desk too!
Alaina recently posted..Working My Way Back- 1369 Coffee House

11 Christen April 17, 2011 at 9:29 pm

I have that desk – bookshelf combo in white and love it! I bought some bins at Target that fit in the cubbies perfectly to store some things and the cubby directly on the desk fits my sewing machine so it is not out all the time. Hope you like it as much as I do.

12 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey April 17, 2011 at 9:32 pm

Love the desk! The Husband used to have to “agree” with me on furniture choices, but I think he’s just given up. 🙂
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..just laugh

13 Lindsay April 17, 2011 at 9:36 pm

Your desk is so cute! I wish IKEA was closer to me. There’s one five hours away, so you have to be absolutely sure your stuff will fit in the car. A new one is supposed to be built two hours away, but that’s in Canada, so I’m not sure I want to deal with any extra customs stuff. :/

You may have mentioned this earlier, but I’m wondering how you guys are setting up your office. One desk to share? Or two desks? Just curious because I imagine you guys will both be needing quite a bit of workspace if Derek’s working from home some! 🙂

14 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday April 17, 2011 at 9:44 pm

Ikea on a weekend is my personal hell.

15 Kacy April 17, 2011 at 9:45 pm

I love Cadbury chocolate!
Kacy recently posted..I’m not a journalist

16 Nicole @ running around the rock April 17, 2011 at 9:53 pm

Oh yes, VERY cute outfit 🙂
Nicole @ running around the rock recently posted..2 Weeks Late

17 Stacey (The Home-Cooked Vegan) April 17, 2011 at 9:56 pm

I spent FOUR HOURS in IKEA the first time I went! It’s so hard to look at everything in there, which was my mission obviously haha 🙂 Yay for a new desk!

That afternoon beer looks refreshing, enjoy your Sunday night!
Stacey (The Home-Cooked Vegan) recently posted..Bad Student Gone Good

18 Kath April 17, 2011 at 10:12 pm

You need an IKEA desk. Simple, airy and only $80!
Kath recently posted..Outside Back In

19 Kath April 17, 2011 at 10:13 pm

OMG. I am dumb. I didn’t finish reading your post before commenting!!!! Rookie mistake 🙂
Kath recently posted..Outside Back In

20 Lauren April 17, 2011 at 10:18 pm

ikea on a Sunday — you’re brave, girl!! I always feel like I get sucked into a Svedka-Volvo vortex when I’m down there. (Volvo and Svedka are the only thing that I associate with Sweden/ Ikea… if that makes sense)
Lauren recently posted..beat the funk

21 Hillary April 17, 2011 at 10:19 pm

i have that exact desk! <3 it!! I also love that someday if it doesn't work for me as a desk i still have the bookcase too! Love the versatility of the Expedit line….so much that i have a piece in 4 different rooms in my house! lol enjoy!!

22 Ashley April 17, 2011 at 10:22 pm

That desk looks so cute! I be it will look great in the office.
Congratulations on totally ninja kicking your to do list today.

23 Gina April 17, 2011 at 10:29 pm

You will love this desk! I have it in white and got storage bins from Target, so much room for everything. The best desk I have ever bought!
Gina recently posted..Women’s 5K By The Bay Recap

24 Amy April 17, 2011 at 10:55 pm

I am having the same problem with desks! I just want something simple; but have yet to find such a desk! Wishing us BOTH good luck on our desk mission!
Amy recently posted..3 things I should NOT have done today…

25 jen April 17, 2011 at 11:17 pm

um, you do kno

26 val @ lots of dishes April 18, 2011 at 12:28 am

Ikea on a weekend is a nightmare, but at least you prepared yourself with that iced latte! Next time you should try their fatfree frozen yogurt… its $1 and is amazing! You’ll forget all about the crowds.
val @ lots of dishes recently posted..Falafel Greek-ish couscous

27 Kate (What Kate is Cooking) April 18, 2011 at 12:32 am

My sister is going to get that desk when she moves out! There’s no room in our room for a desk, so when I move, I have my eye on another IKEA desk 🙂
Kate (What Kate is Cooking) recently posted..Modesto Half Marathon Recap

28 Chad April 18, 2011 at 12:54 am

I once ried a finger full of wasabi… immediately regretted that situation.
Chad recently posted..Food Photoblog- Breakfast and Dinner

29 Kiran April 18, 2011 at 1:12 am

I always find great, simple and reasonable stuff from Ikea. Its also fun looking at displays for inspiration 🙂
Kiran recently posted..Shutterfly’s “Share your Spring Celebration Announcement” and Giveaway

30 Brenna [fabuleuxdestin] April 18, 2011 at 3:29 am

That chocolate bar is making me very excited for EASTER! Glad you found your desk!
Brenna [fabuleuxdestin] recently posted..l’Orangerie

31 Katherine: Unemployed April 18, 2011 at 5:45 am

I’ve seen that desk on craigs list for my city! just type ikea into the search
Katherine: Unemployed recently posted..Bridgekeeper

32 Jumanah @ Healthy Living in the Middle East April 18, 2011 at 6:21 am

I LOVE IKEA! And I have that exact same desk! I have been very happy with it- hope you are just as satisfied!
Jumanah @ Healthy Living in the Middle East recently posted..The Garden

33 Chelsea April 18, 2011 at 6:34 am

Hey, I’m new here and thought I’d say hello!! I’m from Lakeland and my boyfriend and I love square 1. I like the Ostrich burger (don’t judge me! :] and he like the greasy beefy one with the egg on top) I do have to agree about the sweet potato fries, they are lacking a bit but I still gladly enjoy them. Love the desk too, by the way!

34 Lauren April 18, 2011 at 6:57 am

That desk is perfect and actually just what me and my husband have been looking for!! I knew IKEA would have it. 🙂
Lauren recently posted..Getting My TJs Fix

35 Christine @ Burning It Off April 18, 2011 at 7:49 am

What did people do before IKEA? I also hate going there on weekends… the best time to go is a weekday morning; then you can get the $1 breakfast and shop in peace 🙂
Christine @ Burning It Off recently posted..New Release Week at GoodLife

36 Hope April 18, 2011 at 8:04 am

I love that desk! Ikea really does have great finds and not to mention some reasonable prices! I love the tostada! Looks great! I made something that looks similiar to that last week! 🙂

37 Amelia April 18, 2011 at 8:22 am

My husband and I really like Army Wives. We are already waiting for the next season to come out! It gets really good. Plus, its really cool to watch episodes and be able to point out different places that we know of since we live in Charleston. We have picnics at waterfront park all of the time and I drive by the house that Frank & Dee live in almost daily.

38 caitlin April 18, 2011 at 8:39 am

Sounds like a very productive weekend! I love Ikea but sometimes I hate going there because it is so crazy, always! Plus, I always end up getting lost! Our Ikea story is very confusing and getting lost is just part of the trip.
I love the show Army Wives- I’m addicted!
caitlin recently posted..Ch ch ch changes

39 Ali @ Ali Runs April 18, 2011 at 9:06 am

I love being productive on Sundays! So glad you found everything on your to do list! 🙂 And love your new outfit!
Ali @ Ali Runs recently posted..Final Push

40 jenna{frombostonwithlove} April 18, 2011 at 10:08 am

Sam Seasonal is my fave!!
jenna{frombostonwithlove} recently posted..Its About Time

41 Lucy @ The Sweet Touch April 18, 2011 at 10:11 am

Glad to hear you found something you like – that is super cute! We’re deprived, no IKEA’s near us in St. Louis:(

Those tostadas look amazing – putting ’em on the menu for this week!
Lucy @ The Sweet Touch recently posted..St Louis Foodie Finds- Chavas Mexican Restaurant

42 Elizabeth@The Sweet Life April 18, 2011 at 10:30 am

Good for you for braving Ikea on a weekend–it’s such a madhouse!
Elizabeth@The Sweet Life recently posted..Rushing

43 Allison April 18, 2011 at 11:24 am

We go to the Square 1 in Sarasota all the time – it’s downtown and right near our house. It’s my favorite! You need to have the BBQ blue cheese chips sometime. The mac & cheeese is also very good!!

44 LauraJayne April 18, 2011 at 12:57 pm

I LOVE Ikea, but we always go on Sunday (when it is practically empty here in Utah). I’m never dedicated enough to face the Saturday crowds! Those tostadas look delicious – I’m always looking for quick and healthy Mexican meal options!

45 Vivian April 18, 2011 at 1:30 pm

We have the same desk from IKEA and it is awesome. You can buy doors and drawers for the shelf. We have 2 chairs and can both work at the same time from each side easily. It also moves well for when you move back to orlando 😉

46 CampingGirl April 19, 2011 at 6:56 am

Love the desk. In university I had an IKEA kitchen table as a desk and loved the big space.
CampingGirl recently posted..Fearfully Waiting

47 Sarah April 19, 2011 at 9:12 am

I LOVE that desk! If i needed or had room for one, that would be it!
Sarah recently posted..beat

48 Krissy - Shiawase Life April 19, 2011 at 9:57 pm

I use the Yelp! app daily! =D Also a huge fan, obvs =)
Krissy – Shiawase Life recently posted..Sleepy bear

49 Natalie April 20, 2011 at 9:47 am

I fell in love with that desk online, too! Once I saw it, I knew I had to have it. Well, it’s more like I knew my boyfriend HAD to buy it for his house 🙂

We drove straight to IKEA and after a few circles around the tempting showrooms, we bought it! Unfortunately for him, I was not around to help him put it together – I must say it looks even better at home than it did in store!!!